• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel dividing time 50-50 between Wild and Ubisoft (WiLD & unannounced title)

Michel Ancel, the French game designer famed for his work on Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil, is still splitting his work between Ubisoft and his own newly formed indie studio Wild Sheep, where he's working on the ambitious open world survival game Wild.

Speaking at an event following last night's Sony conference at Paris Games Week, where we got our first extended look at Wild, Ancel clarified the situation to Eurogamer.

"It's very simple," he said. "I'm working half and half - I'm still working at Ubisoft. Here, because it's my studio, it's a very special game and I'm trying to do very crazy things on this game. It's two different things."

What, then, is Ancel working on at Ubisoft? Back when he announced that he would be forming a new studio, Ubisoft teased that Ancel would be creating "an extremely ambitious new title that is very close to his and the team's heart".

His last game for Ubisoft was the well-received Rayman Legends in 2013, but this description was widely assumed to refer to Ancel's Beyond Good & Evil sequel - a project that's made several low-key appearances since 2008, but which has been largely silent in recent years. Is Ancel still actively working on Beyond Good & Evil 2?

"Haha! Who said I was working on Beyond Good & Evil 2? I can't talk too much, because this is not Ubisoft!"

Wild, meanwhile, is shaping up into an interesting, typically unique game from Ancel. We'll have more on it in the near future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-28-michel-ancel-is-still-working-at-ubisoft

Beyond Good and Evil 2 or a new Rayman? Personally I am stoked for whatever he is working at Ubisoft since Wild showed that he has plenty of talent to create amazing games, even as an indie studio.

UrbanRats

Go full on WiLD, man.

I mean i love BG&E, and for the longest time i wanted the sequel, but honestly, i'm not sure anymore.
Ubisoft is not exactly treating its franchises with the greatest respect.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Must be BG&E 2. It has to be.

giphy.gif

I'm far more interested in Wild than vague promises about a game which (if BG&E2 is anything to go by) may not even come out. Ubi are probably just keeping him on board so they can steal his ideas.

UrbanRats

I'm far more interested in Wild than vague promises about a game which (if BG&E2 is anything to go by) may not even come out. Ubi are probably just keeping him on board so they can steal his ideas.

Exactly, after the way things went down with Desilets, i just want him to bail from there.

ViciousDS

Banned
edit: nvm better not post testing information

But there is something happening next month for a Ubisoft project....what it is, remains to be seen. It's for PS4, thats all I know for now.

Hope its BG&E but I have been let down before so not betting the house on it.

Also Wikipedia says Ubisoft Montpellier worked on the AC Unity DLC and are working on Rainbow Six Wildlands?

They are part of the machine now.

eFKac

I'd probably take another 2D Rayman game, I just love them, or maybe something in the vein of Valiant Hearts but wouldn't mind him going all out on Wild. It looks fantastic and I want to play it before 2018. That "we're still early in development " comment didn't inspire confidence.

Lirrik

It's been only 2 years since recent Rayman and it's been 12 years since Beyond Good & Evil. Have some decency, people. BG&E2 - I believe.

Lime

please ubi please

tumblr_m5tedx4WWl1r94e9jo1_500.gif

after all the announcement -> cancellation -> announcement -> cancellation announcement -> cancellation process of following this news, I don't know what is up or what is down anymore

Please be Beyond Good and Evil 2. Please. We got Mirrors Edge, Nier and bleeding Shenmue 3. This is now the big one for me.

The original is so so good.

I do really like Rayman, but no more yet.

When Michel walked out on the stage yesterday, my heart leapt for a second. For a moment I thought it was time. But then reality crashed in. Wild does look great though.

I've made my peace that Beyond Good And Evil 2 is never happening (and you can, too!).

I love how much he and the team has put into WiLD, lots of creativity there.

As MUCH as I want it to be Beyond Good and Evil, I don't see Ubisoft making this game since the game would likely be too big for a small budget and too small for a AAA budget.

Top Bottom