• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Micro Machines World Series First Gameplay Trailer (PS4, Xbox One & PC)

illusionary

Played a little bit today.

There's no single player other then a practice mode. Everything is online or co-op battles.

Race Mode is basically Mario Kart.

Elimination mode basic premise is the camera follows whoever is first and you have to be the last one alive via everyone else either getting blown up or getting so far ahead they fall off screen. After someone wins a stage or whatever, there's a line chart at the top of the screen and everyone's line either moves ahead, backwards or stays put depending on how well you did and you win by getting your line to the finish line.

Battle mode is 3 on 3 and you have to get a bomb and take it to your opponents base and stay alive in the base with the bomb for a period of time to blow up their base.

There was nobody online but me so every game was waiting 90 seconds to find other players, only to not find any and be thrown in a room with nothing but bots.

You level up and get loot boxes. There's skins and taunts and stuff that unlock.

AI basically kicked my ass since I don't know the tracks/arenas yet.
Damn... my copy arrived today but this has out me right off the game. I'll hold on to it for now pending a few more impressions, but I'm leaning towards returning it. Clearly given that you were playing in advance of the official release date the activity level is unlikely to be reflective of how it will be upon release, but even then I can't see the online community holding out for all that long.

I'm gonna be bummed out if the PS4 version is 30fps and the PC 60 as I want to play with friends/have an online community worth a damn.

pswii60

Woah, massive disappointment.

I was going to pick this up today, obviously not now. How could Codies mess this one up? I just want a good new Micro Machines game :(

RawNuts

Pre-ordered this a while ago and am quite disappointed. It's anemic on content and it seems like most of it is recycled from Toybox Turbos but with a smaller vehicle selection. Overwatch certainly seems to have had an influence in many of their design decisions.

There is no pure racing mode without weapons, nor any notable differences between vehicles outside of battle mode where they try to fill certain classes by having vehicle-specific abilities and ultimates (such as the ambulance as a healer role, complete with a Mercy-like resurrection ult).

There is the potential for chaotic fun to be had here, but that fades away when my matches are filled almost entirely with bots (and sometimes all bots).

Don't bother with this game at its current asking price.

F-Pina

Really just want this game for some local play. Not interested in the single-player part.
It's a shame the selection is smaller on tracks and cars and there is no 8 player local option. Still want to check it out for some cool nostalgia couch battles.

Flynn77

I reviewed this, but it hasn't gone live yet.

Yeah, echo what Eurogamer said. The lack of courses feels very lazy...in fact the game feels phoned in generally. It pushes you to play online, and even though there is a local co-op mode, you can only race in single player, which blows my mind.

Also, NERF logo is everywhere, which stinks of the marketing department. I know that the micro machines games were basically commercials anyway, but the nerf stuff feels really too much.

No boats either :0(

EDIT: Review

A little disingenuous with this review don't you think? Classic local co-op racing is there in the form of Elimination, and the weapons certainly aren't all nerf branded. Not as far as I can see, there are shit loads of them in the battle modes and not a nerf logo in sight. Even so, who owns micro machines again? :) Lack of single player racing I can agree with, but at least that stuff is there taking the form of racing on line. Also you can use skins on/offline. Where did you get that from?

Edit: Boats, yes, could we get a boat update please? :)

Honestly, I'm having quite a lot of fun with this. You can play single player in Skirmish mode, there is just no Tournament / Championship Mode like in the original games. If they can add that in with an update, it would make it even better though.

Not had any problems getting online and Elimination mode is still as fun as it was in the old games.

I got my copy for £10, so can't complain too much, I wouldn't pay full price for it though, unless they add in a Championship mode or if you just want it for online or local multiplayer then it's still fun to play.

Stopdoor

Toybox is slooooooow. Obliteracers is the game to get, I guess. You can at least increase the speed in that one.

It might not have been obvious, but the game controls the speed by class of cars.

So the first option, Public Transport, is slowest, and the racecar set at the end is the fastest. There's a pretty big difference, so you can indeed control the speed.

Toybox Turbos is great imo, so I'm surprised if this is turning out bad.

The worst part of this is, it's the exact same game as Toybox Turbos but with the Micro Machines name back on the box and a lot of the content stripped out (for some strange reason)

I wonder if they are planning on DLC to add the stuff back in and are just trying to cash in on the Micro Machines name.

Real shame because at it's core, the game is a lot of fun but the lack of Single Player Tournament and small amount of cars / tracks, really hurts the game.

With the right amount of content put back in, this would be great but as it is now, it's a 5/10.

Radnom

Pretty gutted about this. I loved Micro Machines V3 and the footage they'd shown looked like a great update that hit all the nostalgia buttons for me. It was a little bit sad to see boats missing, but I thought it'd be OK if the car part was high quality.

Looks like it's focused on online multiplayer though, which is something I'd never ever play in this kind of game, it's a strictly single player or local multiplayer series for me. From the reviews it also sounds like there's a lack of content.

I had been putting off getting Toybox Turbos in anticipation of this release being better, thankfully the Steam Sale is still going on so I just grabbed it.

I waited so long to find out if this was any good I held out till the 29th before deciding to preorder to save a measly £2.50. Then on the 30th I finally get to try it and there's no single player campaign and very few tracks. I was hoping for a fantastic nostalgic trip (back to megadrive days). The added bonus was that my 6yr old loves these types of games but I'm not sure how long this package will hold his attention.

Aqu

Neo Member
I received my copy in the post yesterday from Amazon and I haven't yet taken it out of the cellophane and on the basis of all these comments I must admit I'm not sure I'm not just going to return it.

Gutted, I had really high hopes for it too

This is the same publisher that fucked up Sensible Soccer.

Exactly. Stayed well clear.

I love micromachines for Mega Drive, but when I realised this had no local play I knew it was a disaster.

Also Sensible Soccer. I don't know how they messed it up. Still sad to this day.

I reviewed this, but it hasn't gone live yet.

Yeah, echo what Eurogamer said. The lack of courses feels very lazy...in fact the game feels phoned in generally. It pushes you to play online, and even though there is a local co-op mode, you can only race in single player, which blows my mind.

Also, NERF logo is everywhere, which stinks of the marketing department. I know that the micro machines games were basically commercials anyway, but the nerf stuff feels really too much.

No boats either :0(

EDIT: Review

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Lettuce

WTF, no single player!!!!.

Wont be getting this then, such a shame was looking forward to this game. How do you mess up Micro Machines....guess ill play V3 on my PSX!

Stopdoor

WTF, no single player!!!!.

Wont be getting this then, such a shame was looking forward to this game. How do you mess up Micro Machines....guess ill play V3 on my PSX!

Tbh, you guys might just have an impossible standard, V3 is janky as hell compared to like, Toybox Turbos. If all you care about is single player modes, great, I guess.

Tbh, you guys might just have an impossible standard, V3 is janky as hell compared to like, Toybox Turbos. If all you care about is single player modes, great, I guess.
Impossible standard? Didn't think a single player campaign and a similar number of tracks and vehicles to the 20 odd year original was expecting too much

I bought it, very disappointed.

I knew something was up when not a single person from Codemasters answered any of the questions on Steam in the discussions. They knew it was shit before they released it.

Also, you have to play online to rank up and unlock stuff. Ridiculous.

Thanks for the warnings. Shame it seemingly turned out this way. I'll still Gamefly it at some point but leading up to its release this was always set to be a day one purchase. Guess I should thank the Steam sale for my ignoring of new releases and my general laziness for not preordering.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Micro Machines V3 was thrilling. It demanded a lot of skill in all modes. Toybox Turbos is a plodding game where the winner is determined by weapons or by who fell asleep first. There aren't any systems or gameplay that require actual racing skills in Toybox Turbos. It is completely boring.

Lettuce

So played a bit of this today and it does have a single player mode in the guise of skirmish, you can choose Elimination (classic MM), Free-For-All and Race, BUT there is only 10 tracks and 10 cars only!!!. This seems a complete farce when you look back at the older games that had 5 different environments with like 5 tracks for each one and an abundance of cars to select from.

How hard would it of been for them to include different cup/leagues to take part!?, this is a real shame as the game looks the part and handles just like you'd want.

Flynn77

You work at Codemasters and I claim my £5.

I feel like you only read every other word in the review but just to clarify:

- There's no pure race mode in offline co-op (so yes, there's elimination, but you can't have an actual 5 lap race with another local player)

- The review doesn't say ALL weapons are Nerf branded, but most of them. In some game modes all you see is Nerf products. If having the Nerf logo in 4 different areas of the screen doesn't seem like overkill, then this post is sponsored by the refreshing taste of Pepsi, the choice of a new generation (TM). And yes, I get that Hasbro owns the MM licence, and the review does acknowledge that in some uses having other brands in the game works, however, a little more restraint would have gone a long way and not felt quite so cynical.

- The review doesn't say that skins can't be used offline, but it does say that you can't rank up in offline modes. As the game massively pushes you to unlock everything, some may feel that doing the offline stuff without getting the rewards isn't worth it. Perhaps this was poorly worded, in which case, apologies.

I have a massive nostalgia for the Micro Machines games, and I really wanted this to be good, but the truth is it feels rather slapdash, and dare I say a cash grab based on a license that many have a fondness for. I'm as sorry as anyone that the game turned out so average.

If every vehicle in the game has 4 different weapons, and none of them are nerf branded. How is that: 'most weapons are nerf branded' but yeah, there is the nerf logos in the local mode, I'll give you that :)

Micro machines was never about doing timed race laps against eachother, it was about knocking other players off the screen, but maybe that would be a nice feature.

I did read every word, and no I don't :) been playing the game online and having a blast though.

Acidote

Yesterday I played with my brother and two friends for about an hour. Toybox is better. At least for now.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Exactly. Stayed well clear.

I love micromachines for Mega Drive, but when I realised this had no local play I knew it was a disaster.

Also Sensible Soccer. I don't know how they messed it up. Still sad to this day.

They took the engine for Club Football 2005, turned the camera, replaced the players with deformed cartoons, mucked around with the physics to make everything floaty and slapped the Sensible name on it. The absolute definition of a cheap cash in.

Top Bottom