• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Micro Machines World Series First Gameplay Trailer (PS4, Xbox One & PC)

SMD

Gutted this is pap, I almost bought it sight unseen and only didn't cos I have too much on the go. I love 96 to this day and honestly a modern update is all I want from a Micro Machines game. No single player and 10 tracks is insane.

benzopil

The game is dead on PS4, played against bots for two hours in every mode. Won't even bother trying to get level 10 for ranked, it's probably empty too. Garbage.

Solal

Bought it because of nostalgia and hoping fun games with my kids...just lost 27€... Ths game is a scam. Absolutly disgusting.

... terrible tracks... terrible gameplay. The whole presentation is cheap as hell...

WTF codemasters?

NB/ last time I buy a game wothout checking Eurogamer's review first. But fuck... how could they fuck it up this bad?

MaLDo

Bought it because of nostalgia and hoping fun games with my kids...just lost 27€... Ths game is a scam. Absolutly disgusting.

... terrible tracks... terrible gameplay. The whole presentation is cheap as hell...

WTF codemasters?

NB/ last time I buy a game wothout checking Eurogamer's review first. But fuck... how could they fuck it up this bad?

Please, refund.

WTF codemasters?

Oh my, guess I dodged a bullet.

Spades

What I don't understand is that almost every game I play, it's 80% made up of AI characters. So, if the AI is there, why the fuck is there no SP?

Such a waste.

finley83

Banned
This is weird as Toybox Turbos was practically a modern Micro Machines game without the branding. Wonder what went on during development...

xrnzaaas

What I don't understand is that almost every game I play, it's 80% made up of AI characters. So, if the AI is there, why the fuck is there no SP?

Such a waste.

Preparing modes and balancing the AI actually takes some time and effort, but yeah, it's not a good excuse.

SPCTRE

Played a bit the day before - to me this feels like a Micro Machines game trying to be... Overwatch, of all things? Down to their UI design and fonts.

I mean, I really like Overwatch, but as a massive fan of V3 on PSX, this feels like a letdown. At least give me something even resembling SP, to keep up appearances.

Hoo boy. I haven't been this disappointed in a game in a long, LONG time. And it's not—entirely—the game's fault. The problem is that there is NO single player mode. Which would be fine, because the real fun of MM games is the multiplayer. However... when NOBODY is online because NOBODY bought this game... [insert defeated sigh here].

When the game finds nobody to pit you against, it defaults to all AI competitors. And they don't lose. They drive almost flawlessly and in a mode like Elimination, you aren't alive long enough to figure out the driving mechanics, the map, the best path to take, NOTHING. I played several matches over two days and found 2 people online. TWO!!!!!! Races are almost no better, because after one mistake, you never see any of the AI racers again.

So, here are the major sins this game committed:

1. No single player campaign. No tournament, no circuit, no practice mode. NOTHING. They literally throw you to the wolves with no guidance. Sure, there's a brief tutorial at the beginning, but that barely helps. I did try Skirmish mode, but without any type of reward for playing, it didn't hold my interest playing against insanely difficult AI bots.

2. No difficulty settings for the AI (not counting Skirmish, which wasn't fun with no loot crates). They are set to "Nightmare" and that's what you race against.

3. Too expensive. This game is about $10 too high, so nobody bought it. This would have been a PERFECT fit for PS+ the way Rocket League launched. This is an online-only game and you need competitors to make the game fun. Without human competitors—with actual flaws—this game is frustratingly bad and even the people that bought the game won't be playing for much longer. There is a Ranked Mode that doesn't unlock until you reach Level 10, but I doubt anyone will stick around long enough to do that.

4. No marketing. This game was delayed twice, and the latest delay was days before the launch, and nobody knew when it was coming or even that this game exists. So, with the $30 pricetag, even the people that would spend money on this might not even know this game was released. It was just sent out to die.

In order to save this game, Codemasters needs to get Sony on the line and sign up for a PS+ slot ASAP. Then microtransaction the crap out of new vehicles, decals, customization options, etc. Just not tracks, because that fragments an already minuscule player pool.

The core of the game is there, and I want to love it like back in the PS1 days, but without human opponents, it's impossible for me to recommend this to anyone.

I need to retract about 82% of all the negative things I typed in my last post.

I gave the game another shot—I spent $30 on it, of course I'm going to attempt to get my money's worth—and it was a COMPLETELY different experience.

And no, Codemasters is not paying me to do damage control. Yet.

I played a race online—got trounced—but at least I was on the screen for longer than 3 seconds and was able to get the controls down a bit better. So, this is what Codemasters SHOULD have done—lock down Elimination mode until you hit a certain level.

I played Elimination mode almost immediately because that's what I remember from the olden days and had the most fun with. It's NOT fun when you have no idea what you're doing and the computer is godlike. It was just a frustrating mess. So... TIP #1: DO NOT PLAY ELIMINATION until you git gud.

I played a few more races and suddenly it hit me—use the brake for cornering. I was just letting up on the gas and still flying off the track. But the brake... it was literally game changing. I was now coming in the Top 5. So... TIP #2: USE THE BRAKES!

Then, I hit level 6 and Ranked opened up. Previously, you needed to hit level 10 to get into Ranked, so they must've patched this so that Ranked wouldn't be a ghost town. I went into Ranked and... there were actual people in there playing. Every match wasn't against 10 AI cars! In fact, I actually got into a match where there were only 4 AI cars out of 12... and it was a blast! So... TIP #3: Stick it out until level 6 and you can get into Ranked. That's where the fun is!

In conclusion, this game is nowhere near as bad as I initially ranted about. It's actually quite enjoyable now. Two things that need to happen yet, Codemasters, if you ever read this:

1. Put it on sale. $20 would be perfect for the content you get. Or get that sweet, sweet, PS+ deal going.

2. Take notes from Rocket League for the post match screen. If I'm in a room with 4 people and I want to continue into the next race with those 4 people, please let me do that. So, offer up some type of button prompt that states you'd like to continue with this group. And then the entire group that checked YES moves into the next race and allows for more stragglers to join up. Eventually, you could have a full lobby of players moving from race to race and that's what this game desperately needs.

3. Bring back the originals as DLC:
hqdefault.jpg

Walter was my man back-in-the-day. He had the best lines.

Top Bottom