• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft aims for 40% market share in Germany

Dami3N

Amazon.de charts don't look too promising for MS.
Especially given that XboxOne releases in 5 days and Ps4 in 12 days.
http://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sr_bs_1#1

the take into account, that alot of skandinavian contries buys there xbox form germany. this because the console first comes in 2014..
this makes the ps4numbers even more impressive. still. some skandinavians would stil buy a ps4 from germany, becaouse of prise compared to kr (skandis money) and bundles thats not in there contries

All those multimedia streaming tv features they are pushing so hard are useless here. I'd be very surprised if they don't get stomped in germany. They have nothing.

Meh, I think the PS4 will trounce the XB1 quite handily, but that's not a good comparison considering Microsoft are giving the game away with pre-orders.

you don't really need to pre-order the xbone version if you get it for free anyway, you know?

Oh yeah you guys are right lol. Still the top seller list is dominated by PS4. Im not sure how they want to double their marketshare when last time they had a 200 euro price advantage, came out 15 months earlier, all the ps3 troubles early on. This launch they've lost every advantage they had.

Kosma

Banned
the take into account, that alot of skandinavian contries buys there xbox form germany. this because the console first comes in 2014..
this makes the ps4numbers even more impressive. still. some skandinavians would stil buy a ps4 from germany, becaouse of prise compared to kr (skandis money) and bundles thats not in there contries

Not only Scandinavian, but also Netherlands, Belgium, Poland.

They only managed to attain a significant market share in some European markets thanks to a lower price point and a one year lead over their competitors, and now they won't even have that. When it comes to services and actually catering to those specific markets they never even lifted a finger and there's no prospects of that changing in the near future.
I still think to this day that the Xbox (and now Surface to some extent) are seen as hindrances forced by HQ by the much more business focused Microsoft local subsidiaries.

ymmv

Banned
All those multimedia streaming tv features they are pushing so hard are useless here. I'd be very surprised if they don't get stomped in germany. They have nothing.

Well, maybe American Football and a Halo live action TV series will convince Germany.

<grin>

RanoNL

Well. If Sony and Microsoft shared Nintendo's market share from the previous generation it's possible.

Wii: 4.6M (42%)
PS3: 3.9M (36%)
Xbox 360: 2.4M (22%)

Wii U: 0%
PS4: 57%
Xbox One: 43%

Bor

Neo Member
you don't really need to pre-order the xbone version if you get it for free anyway, you know?

but you need a xbox. On the 2013 bestselle list, ps4 is second after gta, fifa 14 i ps4 s 14 and xbox one console is 24, It's not looking to bright for the xbone, at least at launch

Xater

Well. If Sony and Microsoft shared Nintendo's market share from the previous generation it's possible.

Well Wii U is not going to be zero and that's also not how the market works. PS4 is still cheaper and without the negative stigma.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Driveclub and knack are outselling the xbox... wow

Well Amazon has a Pay 2 get 3 games deal running for PS4 preorderer - but yes dont expect much from the One hear. Doubt they will get to the next holiday season without a price drop an/or removing Kinect from the standard bundle,

The 360 sold here because MS was willing to constantly undercut the PS3 price, while US gamers were still paying more than 300 USD for their consoles the 360 was sold for already less than 200&#8364;. Without being cheaper than the Sony console there isnt much to gain for MS in germany.

Shaddy

Neo Member
Imo MS has no chance to reach 40% market share here in Germany.

I'll phrase it with Yoshida's words: "let them dream." ;)

chico

i cant speak for all the germans, but all of my friends and i are moving from xbox to sony. despite being big 360 fans. so good luck microsoft with your xbox one in germany, where 99% of all the nice tv features wont work.

disap.ed

I am really curious if XBone will even sell more than the WiiU in Germany.
I kind of doubt it but won't bet on it.

EDIT: What chico said, I don't know a single person who will buy XBone either.

Moonstone

They must have some numbers to back up this claim.
Kaltner is not talking about LtD numbers. It's pretty clear that he is talking about hardware share on a monthly basis ("We took some marketshare from the WiiU ...").
We have data for this year until october:

PS3 280k 46%
360 165k 27%
Wii 85k 14%
WiiU 75k 12%

Wii is on a big downwards trend, those sales are probably from the start of the year (the Nintendo Hardwareshare graphs show this). With Wii at 0 they would be at slightly above 30%. Rule of thumb for hardware sales: Q1-3=Q4.
If all sales grow proportionally, WiiU market share will go down, because it has the lowest absolute sales. And that's what he was mentioning. And well it's GTA and Fifa Zeit.
So in theory with another console on the market it is possible to reach that goal for december.
But that's not gonna happen, because One won't sell, PS4 preorders are huge and the yearly decrease is bigger for 360 than for the PS3.
Oliver Kaltner knows this and the situation is pretty dire for Xbox germany. That's why he is spinning things on the back of nintendos poor performance.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
i cant speak for all the germans, but all of my friends and i are moving from xbox to sony. despite being big 360 fans. so good luck microsoft with your xbox one in germany, where 99% of all the nice tv features wont work.
Jup, most of my 360 friend list is moving to PS4 as well. Except this one clan who wants to stay on the Xbox out of habit. My best buddy from there is super mad because he also wants to move to PS4 but is now forced to buy an Xbox because all the others are doing it. lol

Moonstone

They're going to double their market share?

Not going to happen.
No, as said, they know where their position is - they fight the WiiU.
Here is another source, which explicitly mentions that Kaltner is not talking about its biggest rival Sony, but just Nintendo.

Eine Kampfansage formulierte Kaltner überraschend nicht in Richtung Sony, die mit der Marke PlayStation im deutschen Markt traditionell stark positioniert sind. Vielmehr hat Microsoft in Nintendo einen Gegner ausgemacht, der zu schlagen ist. Zuletzt konnte man laut Kaltner die Marktposition auf Kosten Nintendos verbessern, die mit der neuen Wii U noch nicht die Masse der Gamer in Deutschland erreichen. Hier soll nachgelegt werden.

Source

Jabba

Banned
I don't know if it's been asked but isn't Germany one of the EU countries that are leary of potential kinect privacy issues?

tobibreit

Neo Member

Of those 4.6M Wiis i assume about 2.0-2.5M (maybe even more) were casuals who will most likely not buy any next gen console.

patapuf

No, as said, they know where their position is - they fight the WiiU.
Here is another source, which explicitly mentions that Kaltner is not talking about its biggest rival Sony, but just Nintendo.

Source

They might try to get that Nintendo marketshare but Sony is too. I find it unlikely that People who bought Nintendo consoles go to MS instead of Sony (If they buy another Console that is).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good luck getting the Wii Userbase to buy a 500 Euro console with exclusive IPs most of them don't care.

Moonstone

They might try to get that Nintendo marketshare but Sony is too. I find it unlikely that People who bought Nintendo consoles go to MS instead of Sony (If they buy another Console that is).

Don't take this too literally. It's just percentages. MS has new hardware launch, Nintendo doesn't. Sales of "xbox family" will grow more than those of the "nintendo family". As a result of that, Nintendo will lose marketshare in that month, MS will gain marketshare.
They won't convert potential WiiU buyers.

Checked Euro am Sonntag at a Kiosk to see if there are actual hardware numbers published. But it's just an article with investment tipps for the big publishers (don't buy TakeTwo) which is based on some publically known market studies.

Kaltner mentions Sony in the interview:
-"They go for volumes and marketshare and sell at a loss. We go for profit on day one."
- Xbox Germany is aiming to be profitable on day one, too
-"MS as a pure software company is "history". We want to sell hardware and dedicated software tailored specifily to that" (He worded it in a way, that it really sounded like they are aiming to be like apple)
- "We want to be woldwide number one, as we where with the 360" (It wasn't a predicition or a claim, don't take it too seriously)

Nzyme32

You realise that people can buy more than one console? That would mean it is theoretically possible for a console to have 100% marketshare, as unlikely as that is. But yes, reduced Wii U sales will probably mean increases to both PS4 & Xbox One marketshare to varying degrees. Obviously the WiiU will not have 0% marketshare

Oersted

No matter how realistic it is, I have never seen so much commercials, ads etc. for one single product. Never. You literally can't escape at this point.

Top Bottom