• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Afrikan

Can't wait for this to happen

cantwait_zpsab1ee1b4.jpg

why WOULDN'T this happen?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
In both the sony and the microsoft versions the projector appears to be on the ceiling in the middle of the room pointing directly down - or slightly towards the tv. The lens would then likely be adjusted to give as wide a picture as possible i.e fill up as much of the room as possible

Hmm I was under the impression it was behind the person sitting in the MS video

Xtincthed

Neo Member
I was blown away, some of the scenes in the video look so good and immersive
I hope this will one day become customer electronics instead of proof-of-concept

onQ123

Can't wait for this to happen

cantwait_zpsab1ee1b4.jpg

but they will not stop at the Living Room the Kitchen , Bath Room & Bed Room will also have ads that pop out at you.

open the refrigerator some ad pop out at you telling you the milk is spoiled & you need to buy their extra long lasting milk.

reach for the toilet paper & a add will pop up telling you to try their softer paper.

take a girl in the bed room & the damn Trojan Man is handing you a sample condom that's free for the 1st 2 minutes but will expire if you don't enter your credit card info.

meta4

but they will not stop at the Living Room the Kitchen , Bath Room & Bed Room will also have ads that pop out at you.

open the refrigerator some ad pop out at you telling you the milk is spoiled & you need to buy their extra long lasting milk.

reach for the toilet paper & a add will pop up telling you to try their softer paper.

take a girl in the bed room & the damn Trojan Man is handing you a sample condom that's free for the 1st 2 minutes but will expire if you don't enter your credit card info.

Will be weird having Doritos pope staring at someone in the toilet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looks cool for something like Rez or Child of Eden.
Looks distracting for other, more traditional games.

I'm honestly surprised at all the enthusiastic "hell yeahs" in this thread, after, well, six years of so many people saying we don't need gimmicks and that they're all just distractions. Gimmie a generic high powered game box and a dual analog game pad, and that's all gaming should require to be cool.

If this tech isn't the definition of a gimmick, as so many use the term, I don't know what is.

Alx

why WOULDN'T this happen?

because that's not how peripheral vision works ? Adding barely readable content outside the screen would have no positive advertising effect (like for the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, you wouldn't even see them if they don't move).
It's not about simulating a bigger screen, the out of screen info only works if it's coherent with the onscreen info.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
because that's not how peripheral vision works ? Adding barely readable content outside the screen would have no positive advertising effect (like for the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, you wouldn't even see them if they don't move).
It's not about simulating a bigger screen, the out of screen info only works if it's coherent with the onscreen info.

I am sorry, but what?

We are not dinosaurs. Your eyes will naturally shift to the ads.

Raide

I don't feel the created image would be strong enough for this.
For me this should all be environmental stuff. Surround Vision.

I am really wondering what kind of clarity this could actually produce. If it is just a projector, then it should be pretty high right? I guess it just projects the image around, leaving a nice gap for your TV. :D

Would be nice to see some HD footage of something like Forza Horizon.

Gorillaz

That is pretty sick. I don't know if it work with certain games due to it being too much on the eyes. I would love to see how well it can be used outside of gaming as well.

I wonder what the chances are to manipulate outside of the TV area using Kinect?

It should be as capable as what you can do with your TV, but not beyond that. However, it suggests that the projector also has a camera built in, for scanning the room shape and the room photograph that ripples in the video, so the camera may have some interactive uses too.

Alx

I am sorry, but what?

We are not dinosaurs. Your eyes will naturally shift to the ads.

We may not be dinosaurs, but it's still a fact that our peripheral vision is very blurry and very sensitive to motion. That's why we forget everything around us when we're focused on something, or that people wave at each other to catch their attention, or that you detect moving objects "by the corner of your eyes". It's a defense mechanism, detect predators with a wide field of view, and focus on specific tasks with a narrow fov.
Ads need focus to be effective, if they're on the sides and don't move, you'll just filter them out.

meta4

I'm honestly surprised at all the enthusiastic "hell yeahs" in this thread, after, well, six years of so many people saying we don't need gimmicks and that they're all just distractions. Gimmie a generic high powered game box and a dual analog game pad, and that's all gaming should require to be cool.

If this tech isn't the definition of a gimmick, as so many use the term, I don't know what is.

How is trying to provide more immersion a gimmick? The thing is this will not affect gameplay unlike stupid motion controls. This is just to add a layer of immersion which may work for some games and may not for some but I rather they go this route then put kinect,Wiimote , move etc that affect gameplay more often than not for the worse. Those are gimmicks that actually harm gameplay most of the time. Not this..

I am really wondering what kind of clarity this could actually produce. If it is just a projector, then it should be pretty high right? I guess it just projects the image around, leaving a nice gap for your TV. :D

Would be nice to see some HD footage of something like Forza Horizon.

But then they'd have less time to show shootershootershootershooterkartshootershooterplanetshooter

UrbanRats

Yeah i don't know why i would want a pulsating room while playing Red Dead Redemption or shitty assets outline moving around, trying to grab my attention away from the screen.
I turn off the lights exactly because i want the world outside the screen to "disappear", when i play or watch a movie.

But again, they might do something cool with it, something very specific though.

Karak

I wanna see that Plane all around me!

Exactly! In the end, it will be up to the devs and I don't see them allowing an add where snow will be. We will see. But no more gimmicky than all the other things I described in earlier posts.

Razgreez

Hmm I was under the impression it was behind the person sitting in the MS video

The prime position for any projector is usually on the ceiling so as to prevent anything blocking the image casted. In the microsoft video the person could technically be sitting in front of the projector depending how close both he and it are relative to the screen/wall. Either way i'm pretty sure it's on the ceiling in line or in front of his position since that allows it to cast its unobstructed image as far down as part of the floor beneath the screen

derFeef

This kind of thing is really awesome in theory but annoying in practice. Still cool though.

How do you know?

lol...

Yeah i don't know why i would want a pulsating room while playing Red Dead Redemption or shitty assets outline moving around, trying to grab my attention away from the screen.
I turn off the lights exactly because i want the world outside the screen to "disappear", when i play or watch a movie.

But again, they might do something cool with it, something very specific though.

Why would the room be pulsating during rdr? What if clouds would move by in the sky, dust fly through the room? This kind of stuff, not distracting, but a bit immersive.

meta4

Depends heavily on how it is implemented. Neat weather effects like lightning or snow etc can just add to the atmosphere I guess. This will be freakin epic as well but will unfortunately be so dependent on the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HQ1KaYEBe5U#t=16s

Doffen

probably because it's dumb and adds nothing to the experience, much like this xbox crap.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maka4ikeGo1qbj7f3o1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

You could argue that it adds nothing to the games, but nothing to the experience is wrong.

Karak

Depends heavily on how it is implemented. Neat weather effects like lightning or snow etc can just add to the atmosphere I guess. This will be freakin epic as well but will unfortunately be so dependent on the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=re1EatGRV0w

Crowd in a football game. Seeing an arrow fly past me in an RPG, or something swoop in from the side. Depending on the dev it sure could be a unique thing.
And I have a 140 inch theater wall. And I would STILL dig that.
But yes dependent on room. Just like so much tech. Caveats:(

This is what I like to see. Stuff like this has quirks in its infancy, but damn can it pay off if given time to mature.

Agreed.

They could go overboard with it, and some of that video does, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of extra information in your peripheral vision.

Top Bottom