• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Karak

I just meant, screen as in - the various options that are on the market. If a gamer has a choice between a higher quality screen, vs this screen (but this has the Illumi feature), I would have to think most gamer's would choose the higher quality screen. I'm also assuming this Illumi feature will tack on the price.

Basically, I'm just saying it needs to deliver on quality and performance. Which is just stating the obvious. But yeah, when I said screens I just meant - all the screens that will be available on the market to choose from (it has to compete with those).

Sorry sorry.
I have a projector and a tv. I thought you mean a projector screen.

derFeef

If I would have to guess then somehow the extended image get's streamed to a projector from the xbox, just like with the WiiU. Not that crazy tbh.

meta4

So how expensive will this be if MS decides to sell it along with the next box? The images seemed low def so the projector may not be too expensive. Not sure how low projectors cost these days. Also would use of glasses reduce the price and remove the necessity of any component?

Cosmozone

I've got a Philips TV with Ambilight which is kind of a pre-stage to this. Looks cool already. Ambilight never really took off, though:
800px-Ambilight-2.jpg

Which is almost a bit sad because I really like it.

abadguy

Banned
Currently yes. But the creator of Rift said the final consumer version will be in HD. People who have used it are going crazy in CES stating that nothing has wowed them like this in such a long time. There is a detailed discussion on Verge with a live demo as well. Its stunning even when it is low res. I can only imagine how it will look in HD. It is a gamechanger if they can somehow resolve the form factor. It will be very difficult to market it otherwise. They are looking to put this in consumer hands later this year and Carmack has confirmed Doom 4 will
be running on Rift.

I have not seen people this excited for a product in a long time. It does not have any of the drawbacks of 3D but I can understand some people will not dig wearable computing which is why I said it will be very difficult to market unless there is somehow make the form factor palatable.

Really my biggest issue with it. I just find things like that/Glasses to be uncomfortable, especially during a long gaming session.

Karak

All I can think about...is a racing game and getting in a crash and the sparks and bits of debris flying past me, barely visible in my peripheral vision. Without having to wear anything and that other people can see as well.

Burnout Paradise 2...make me a believer.

meta4

Really my biggest issue with it. I just find things like that/Glasses to be uncomfortable, especially during a long gaming session.

That is true. Still the tech is exciting. Cant wait to see where all this goes in the next 5-10 years.

this looks like a gimmick to me, but I could see potential application with things like the kinect, or some horror experience. Having something on the edge of your perifery, or seeing something appear in your room outside of the confines of your t.v could provide for some really creepy experiences. Or perhaps picking something up off of the floor, like a virtual bowling ball, could be a neat experience, however, ultimately it's a gimmick.

Karak

So how expensive will this be if MS decides to sell it along with the next box? The images seemed low def so the projector may not be too expensive. Not sure how low projectors cost these days. Also would use of glasses reduce the price and remove the necessity of any component?

Depending on projection types you use and overall resolution(see current lower res pocket projectors or sony's small handheld projector) It could run for various amounts due to manufacturing deals. It would be REALLY hard to guess. I mean its a projector with ultrawide aperture. So...it really depends on the res. And for what they would be doing it would be less important to hit a resolution that was super high versus a bright picture.

meta4

All I can think about...is a racing game and getting in a crash and the sparks and bits of debris flying past me, barely visible in my peripheral vision. Without having to wear anything and that other people can see as well.

Burnout Paradise 2...make me a believer.

That sounds cool. There is one problem with this though. The effectiveness of this tech will come down to how well it is used unlike something like an Occulus Rift which would always be immersive without the need for introducing any gimmicks. In this vid stuff like weather effects ( snow flakes ) being projected is really cool and adds to the immersion. But projecting the ground that is in the game on to the room floor felt so distracting ( during the fps part ). It looked really awkward. My only worry is that the effectiveness is so dependent on the implementation ( just like 3D ) that there may be a ton of gimmicks that just dont work well.

Karak

I am viewing this like I view so many other things.
7.1 sound is great but I play with headphones most the time...so 7.1 at times is a gimmick
So it is the typical gimmick with vast potential for those who will use it compared to the norm and how much using it will increase the immersion.

Karak

That sounds cool. There is one problem with this though. The effectiveness of this tech will come down to how well it is used unlike something like an Occulus Rift which would always be immersive without the need for introducing any gimmicks. In this vid stuff like weather effects ( snow flakes ) being projected is really cool and adds to the immersion. But projecting the ground that is in the game on to the room floor felt so distracting ( during the fps part ). It looked really awkward. My only worry is the effectiveness is so dependent on the implementation ( just like 3D ) that there may a ton of gimmicks that just dont work well.
All I have heard about Rift is that it has a ton of visual issues with depth perception and feeling distracting WHILE coupled with awesome.

This is the same to me.

Oculus, by their own definition, isn't really something that will be supported by everyone either or...for an easier description will have the same kinds of issues as this. So I can wear something on my head SOMEDAY that will be AWESOME.

AND I can have something in my living room SOMEDAY that will be awesome.

For me there are just as many awkward issues with the Oculus...might even be more. And I actually want an Oculus.

And if the truth is to be said. I don't find them comparable. Both by ultimate definition but by system(PC versus console) and all that other stuff already mentioned. Both are keen techs. This one has had me more excited in the short term than Oculus.

Not earth shattering, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I like that effects in the video are rendered in real time and there is not post processing. It's cool they didn't use white walls as well. I really want to try it in person.

Interesting idea, but it seems gimmicky at best to me.

What the hell is a gimmick anyway? Rumble pack controllers could have been considered a gimmick, but it was embraced by core gamers because it helped immersion. I see no difference with this.

Also, the Occulus Rift comparisons in this thread are kind of weird.

KageMaru

What about when you have friends over? The IllumiRoom looks like it would be much better to have in that situation. But I think the Rift and this are created for different purposes and shouldn't be directly compared. The Rift is great for VR, but I think the IllumiRoom is targeted more towards AR.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly on all these comparisons.

Watched the video. That seems crazy. If it really works that well, then sign me up.

Supposedly, the video is using the actual tech, with no post-processing to add those effects.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My wife would fucking hate this because she reads on the couch while I play games and the last thing she wants are lights flashing all around the room and not just on the TV.

Karak

What the hell is a gimmick anyway? You know, rumble pack controls could have been considered a gimmick, but it was embraced by core gamers because it helped immersion. I see no difference with this.

My point about things like 7.1 sound. At some point...many things we use are gimmicks.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I cant wait to use this on my tiny shit apartment.

Imagine if you had a score overlay as you were doing dishes! 10 plates in less than 5 minutes? ACHIEVEMENT GET - THE TRUE DISWASHER.

Shit like that is only possible in tiny shit apartments :D

alphaNoid

Banned
I would buy this day 1 if it works like it does in the video. Shit was cray

My wife would fucking hate this because she reads on the couch while I play games and the last thing she wants are lights flashing all around the room and not just on the TV.

Time for a new wife.

That's pretty crazy then.

from the youtube video comment section:

IllumiRoom is a proof-of-concept Microsoft Research project designed to push the boundary of living room immersive entertainment by blending our virtual and physical worlds with projected visualizations. The effects in the video are rendered in real time and are captured live -- not special effects added in post processing.
More info: http://research.microsoft.com/projects/illumiroom/

-edit

My point about things like 7.1 sound. At some point...many things we use are gimmicks.

Gimmick is a word some on GAF use to describe things they don't like. Clearly stuff like this is a trend, not a gimmick. Hopefully it's a good trend. :)

meta4

All I have heard about Rift is that it has a ton of visual issues with depth perception and feeling distracting WHILE coupled with awesome.

This is the same to me.

Oculus, by their own definition, isn't really something that will be supported by everyone either or...for an easier description will have the same kinds of issues as this. So I can wear something on my head SOMEDAY that will be AWESOME.

AND I can have something in my living room SOMEDAY that will be awesome.

For me there are just as many awkward issues with the Oculus...might even be more. And I actually want an Oculus.

And if the truth is to be said. I don't find them comparable. Both by ultimate definition but by system(PC versus console) and all that other stuff already mentioned. Both are keen techs. This one has had me more excited in the short term than Oculus.

I dont see the Oculus being adopted in a large scale at all. This will be way more popular. Just worried about the implementation part. Really excited for this though and I hope content on the next xbox drives this tech. Man why dont they announce the bloody console already.

wow that's pretty incredible. I liked in the FPS shots how the TV even seemed to disappear and the entire wall was your screen. intense.

I liked the snowflakes and think that extended atmospherics and different HUD types are great. I loved the effect of distorting the room's image too but i could not see myself using the mode where it projects the screen across the room. I found it distracting and a little trippy as it had a kind of tunnel/pyramid perspective illusion.

The other effects were good and it could be a killer boost for party/dance games or Space Sims.

Karak

I dont see the Oculus being adopted in a large scale at all. This will be way more popular. Just worried about the implementation part. Really excited for this though. I hope content on the next xbox drives this tech. Man why dont they announce the bloody console already.

I worry as well. However, in the last say 7 years I have really started to remove myself from the worries and such and began to embrace the overall fun of things. There is nothing wrong with either way of thinking but no matter where I go I can find someone who has a PROBLEM with something.
I have begun seeking people who have an excitement about the same thing.

I hope that makes sense.
Rift looks to be WILD for sure.

I like the idea, making the game area off the screen doesn't do it for me but seeing item pickups on your wall because they are outside the tv area is a really cool idea, same with people shooting at you from all directions.

Karak

I like the idea, making the game area off the screen doesn't do it for me but seeing item pickups on your wall because they are outside the tv area is a really cool idea, same with people shooting at you from all directions.

Exactly. The idea of a hub system like that even in a shooter could rock and leave more of the main screen for the "other stuff"
gauges, meters, or information in racing(not directly involved in the actual race outcome)
2nd screen for basic additional games or 2 player and up stuff
All manner of things.

But then I am all nerdy.
I first through of play a 2-3 player game with me as a spaceship captain and 1 guy manning gun stations and another one manning the rest of the ship. Even in a lower res...that would be awesome.

Razgreez

oh fuck

Do you know where this projector goes? Does it stick on the ceiling or something?

In both the sony and the microsoft versions the projector appears to be on the ceiling in the middle of the room pointing directly down - or slightly towards the tv. The lens would then likely be adjusted to give as wide a picture as possible i.e fill up as much of the room as possible

In both the sony and the microsoft versions the projector appears to be on the ceiling in the middle of the room pointing directly down - or slightly towards the tv. The lens would then likely be adjusted to give as wide a picture as possible i.e fill up as much of the room as possible

Thanks.

I assume the only difference in Sony's projector is it has a 360 degree panoramic lens on the end, which doesn't really cost anything but it means you need a higher resolution projection.

Top Bottom