• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

netBuff

You don't know what your talking about.

Looks well trippy. I've seen stuff like this being done on buildings. It's pretty cool.

It's very clear from that image that this video is an edited tech demo, not a capture of a real-life demo.

And technology like this may be supported by the next Xbox, but while pretty cool is certainly going to remain a very niche proposition: Who is going to buy and install (at a place in front of the TV) an extra projector with the required technology for an ancillary effect like this?

Bgamer90

Banned
Same thing can be said about SmartGlass. Remember when the press thought that was actually going to be good?

Smartglass really just begun. Don't see how anyone could give a great opinion on it when it's obvious that they are saving a lot of functions for next gen.

A XBLA pictionary game with SmartGlass would be killer.

derFeef

It's very clear from that image that this video is an edited tech demo, not a capture of a real-life demo.

And technology like this may be supported by the next Xbox, but while pretty cool is certainly going to remain a very niche proposition: Who is going to buy and install (at a place in front of the TV) an extra projector with the required technology for an ancillary effect like this?

Maybe pico projectors got really good? And I am not sure about edited demo, maybe partial but why would they make the projection lowres and stuttery.

If it's part of a wireless Kinect 2, probably a lot of people.

netBuff

Maybe pico projectors got really good? And I am not sure about edited demo, maybe partial but why would they make the projection lowres and stuttery.

It's obviously intended to give a realistic impression on how a final implementation would look. But there's no way this video wasn't edited.

But the problem, as I said before, isn't the possibility of implementing such a technology but in marketing and selling it. Pico projectors mounted behind the TV won't be able to achieve an effect as shown in the video. This may be interesting to some, but necessitates people spending quite a bit of extra money and jumping a pretty steep setup hurdle for a nice, but not critical, effect.

I'm pretty sceptical of this ever being a real product.

If it's part of a wireless Kinect 2, probably a lot of people.

This would still mean you need a suitable place to install a projector - something that is pretty hard to come by in most homes without doing any additional works done by a handyman.

Top Bottom