• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

alphaNoid

Banned
The contrast between the image quality of the TV and the washed out projections kind of breaks the effect even in the staged and controlled concept video. I can only imagine what it'll look like haphazardly installed in your average room.

I think its supposed to look contrasted and less prominent compared to the TV. Its not supposed to distract you from the TV, only enhance the overall experience.

jaypah

You seriously need to rethink how you judge feelings, there's nothing indicating anger in any of my posts. Try again. Oh no, I clicked the big bad B, I must be raging so hard right now, I'm not actually half asleep in my chair at 7 something am because I happened to wake up early, I'm in fact knocking things over, punching walls & typing in between. Spot. On. You win an internet.

Well. That was certainly a lot of words. Funnily enough you seem even more agitated now and I have no idea why.

Anyway, I wonder if this could work with 3D? I love gimmicks so having some gimmicks inside my gimmicks would be dope.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well. That was certainly a lot of words.
Maybe for you.

Funnily enough you seem even more agitated now and I have no idea why.
Maybe you're projecting your own feelings where there are absolutely none to fill the void in your heart. Or something.

But all this has nothing to do with the topic and my points about it so I too don't see why you keep pursuing that discussion.

All I know is the Phillips Ambilight TV actually did go a long way in creating atmosphere and supplementing the immersion for me. This thing looks way cooler.

Can't wait for this to happen

cantwait_zpsab1ee1b4.jpg

Oh God, that's what they really have planned, isn't it?

derFeef

Pretty lame, the showcase room wasn't even very full but you could still see how it adds pretty much nothing to the experience, no different to the Move's illumination bulb. It might make one nice disco ball replacement, that's about it. I dunno what people are amazed by or where they see the comparison to Oculus Rift which completely eliminates visuals outside the game world, no way would this be used to effectively spot enemies to your left or right (and even if you could do it at times you'd have to then look back to the TV and turn that view where you saw him) either if you so much as have a poster or painting or bookshelf. Or in any way be immersed in the game world and explore it by looking around you rather than just in front of you when the elements just leak onto your furniture and family in a completely unclear mess. Plus, I doubt the 360 can handle that kind of FOV for many of the games you may want it for. It probably won't work nearly as well in practice and only leak vague colors and images, like an Ambilight +, not complete peripheral vision viewpoints, much like the Kinect didn't deliver on all (or half the) fronts, when Oculus Rift doesn't render every view simultaneously but only where you're looking at any point in time, which can be anywhere, with the power drain just coming from the stereoscopic 3D, not showing unnecessary views, so it has no added footprint over regular 3D implementations and could be viable even for a next gen console if a company was interested.
You are not supposed to be staring at the extended picture, obviously. Why do so many people have problems with understanding that? Because it's in a video?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Phillips Ambilight was pretty awesome and worked great. This is an evolution on that idea and I'm looking forward to it.

Loving all the butthurt comments in here though.

Alexios

You are not supposed to be staring at the extended picture, obviously. Why do so many people have problems with understanding that? Because it's in a video?
Nothing in my post shows I have trouble understanding that. The only parts of the post that discuss doing just that are the parts responding to the misguided comparisons to the Oculus.

Loving all the butthurt comments in here though.
What posts are those, I want to see the pain. Oh, did I just quote one, simply because some people don't think it's awesome..?

derFeef

Nothing in my post shows I have trouble understanding that. The only parts of the post that discuss doing just that are the parts responding to the misguided comparisons to the Oculus.

it does not comapre to the Oculus, you can't say one is better than the other since they do different things and have both a different concept.

Alexios

it does not comapre to the Oculus, you can't say one is better than the other since they do different things and have both a different concept.
And yet people compared, and I replied, it happens on forums like this, no harm done.

saunderez

All I know is the Phillips Ambilight TV actually did go a long way in creating atmosphere and supplementing the immersion for me. This thing looks way cooler.

I'd never really seen the Ambilight stuff before but now I'm considering rolling my own with my Raspberry Pi, I'm impressed.

This looks cool and all (and in conjunction with the Kinect, it would have some incredible applications), but would this also not be very expensive? Too prohibitively expensive for the mass market, in fact?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
This looks cool and all (and in conjunction with the Kinect, it would have some incredible applications), but would this also not be very expensive? Too prohibitively expensive for the mass market, in fact?

Small "hd" projectors are cheap as.

Kiryu

Look neat but I think small room helps your vision of gaming better but I don't want to experience seizure.

Small "hd" projectors are cheap as.

What is the maximum area over which they retain their resolution/clarity? (I think the question I am asking is about pixel density; I'm not fully familiar with technical jargon :p) For something to retain its clarity and sharpness over, say, a massive 17 feet by 9 feet wall, wouldn't the projector have to be extremely high quality? In addition, isn't this also projecting into 3D space? Would that not be very expensive?

Alx

I think the main problem with the mass market wouldn't be the price itself, but the too limited use (unless they imagined other applications that we didn't think of). Adding a projector dedicated to cool effects in video games sounds like a very geeky purchase. Even at, say, $200, most people wouldn't want to buy it unless it offers other benefits.

The "demo" has been done with a regular kinect... you don't really need a new generation of the sensor to do that, since the 3D part is very simple. It's all in the projector and software for calibration/smart image interpolation.

The "demo" has been done with a regular kinect... you don't really need a new generation of the sensor to do that, since the 3D part is very simple. It's all in the projector and software for calibration/smart image interpolation.

I.m not sure this uses kinect at all apart from voice. Maybe Kinect 2 is this ceiling mounted camera/projector combo, as that.s kinda what a kinect is.

This would be great for cockpit racing game where you can sense cars along side you without having to turn the camera.
Could do some neat effects at night too with headlights shining through your rear window. The car demo in the MS page version was pretty dull looking in comparison to what it could be.

In addition, isn't this also projecting into 3D space? Would that not be very expensive?

It.s not a holodeck. I.m not sure how much of a problem it is to keep it all in focus when the target surfaces vary in distance.

KingJ2002

That looks very cool.

looks like microsoft envisions gaming to be taken to the point where you are actually in the game through kinect and this projection tech

Anteater

This would be pretty neat for fps, but I'm not sure if developers will actually take advantage of it since they already like using really low fov for console shooters nowadays.

This would be pretty neat for fps, but I'm not sure if developers will actually take advantage of it since they already like using really low fov for console shooters nowadays.

And then they cover the screen with a damage indicator since you don't know where your enemies were until they shot you in the head.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is the kind of differentiator that could make me prefer a MS box to a Steam box.

MS is playing to its Kinect strength in an area I didn't expect. Love it.

Alx

Maybe Kinect 2 is this ceiling mounted camera/projector combo, as that.s kinda what a kinect is.

That's an interesting idea... I don't know how easy it would be to have a "hybrid" projector, that could project either an invisible pattern (for pure kinect mode) or a "real" image like in this Illumi-thing. Of course you could cram two projectors and cameras in a single box, but that's not a very elegant solution.
If that's the case, it could mean that the kinect 2.0 would be a more mobile and versatile tool, that you could move around your room depending on what you want to do with it... Pure speculation of course, but that would definitely be a cool idea.

I think for me this will be fun for around half an hour and then it will get vomit inducing annoying. But as a bonus this will give a heart attack to the people passing by my window at night.

ruttyboy

To save me reading the full 14 pages (I read the first 3 and this one), can someone please quickly tell me if we know what is doing the 'projecting', is it the TV? The Kinect? A separate projector that isn't shown?

If it's a projector that I need to screw into my ceiling then no way is my wife allowing that :)

EDIT: Thanks GH

That's an interesting idea... I don't know how easy it would be to have a "hybrid" projector, that could project either an invisible pattern (for pure kinect mode) or a "real" image like in this Illumi-thing. Of course you could cram two projectors and cameras in a single box, but that's not a very elegant solution.
If that's the case, it could mean that the kinect 2.0 would be a more mobile and versatile tool, that you could move around your room depending on what you want to do with it... Pure speculation of course, but that would definitely be a cool idea.

Kinect already has 3 of those 4 ;)
Could arrange them in a square instead of a line, leave the mic by the tv.

But as it must be wireless it would be interesting to see a mobile one, with many of the fun tech demos being based around holding it.

To save me reading the full 14 pages (I read the first 3 and this one), can someone please quickly tell me if we know what is doing the 'projecting', is it the TV? The Kinect? A separate projector that isn't shown?

If it's a projector that I need to screw into my ceiling then no way is my wife allowing that :)

It.s seperate. ceiling or shelf could be options.

dose

What you see in the videos below has been captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production.
I call bullshit on this.
In the gif below you can see the wires under the cabinet actually shift position. There is no trace of them in their 'normal' position when everything distorts. You can't make it look like this without adding video effects. This happens with the cabinets too.

Ph2Bp.gif

I call bullshit on this.
In the gif below you can see the wires under the cabinet actually shift position. There is no trace of them in their 'normal' position when everything distorts. You can't make it look like this without adding video effect

Looks like they simply distorted and projected a capture of that part of the room. Not sure what's impossible about it. The area of the image where the wires are is simply moved downward and warped. The bottom of the entertainment center above the wires is even dropped below the shadow or dark trim from the actual furniture itself. They're going to show it off some more this year, so it's not like we won't get better looks at it and hands-on impressions of it sooner than later.

dose

Looks like they simply distorted and projected a capture of that part of the room. Not sure what's impossible about it. The area of the image where the wires are is simply moved downward and warped. The bottom of the entertainment center above the wires is even dropped below the shadow or dark trim from the actual furniture itself. They're going to show it off some more this year, so it's not like we won't get better looks at it and hands-on impressions of it sooner than later.
So where are the original wires? They aren't there at all. The only wires visible are the distorted ones. Seriously, that is fake.

So where are the original wires? They aren't there at all. The only wires visible are the distorted ones. Seriously, that is fake.
Maybe they were there when the source image was taken by the projector? It.s not live feed as you'd get weird feedback effects.

derFeef

I call bullshit on this.
In the gif below you can see the wires under the cabinet actually shift position. There is no trace of them in their 'normal' position when everything distorts. You can't make it look like this without adding video effects. This happens with the cabinets too.

They distort the overlaying picture, of course everything would shift, you are showing the effect off pretty well :)

dose

To be clear, what wires are you talking about? The dark ones sitting underneath the entertainment center?
Yes. In the normal frame is where they are laying. In the distorted frame, the original wires should still be visible in their original position, with another projected pair of wires visible too, but there is only ever one set of wires visible. This doesn't make any sense unless they used video effects on the footage itself.

They distort the overlaying picture, of course everything would shift, you are showing the effect off pretty well :)
What? So overlaying a distorted picture would shift the physical position of the wires? You aren't making any sense.

derFeef

What? So overlaying a distorted picture would shift the physical position of the wires? You aren't making any sense.

I have not sayed that, and the physical position seems the same? You can see the bottom part of the shelf moving outward a bit as well, that's what they project and that's what confuses you I think.

dose

Don't see why. Plenty of people have seen this live, and even more advanced versions are out there (admittedly using more projectors).
I'm specifically talking about the distortion/wobbling effect 42 seconds into the clip.

I have not sayed that, and the physical position seems the same? You can see the bottom part of the shelf moving outward a bit as well, that's what they project and that's what confuses you I think.
The wires clearly move positions in the two frames, they are lower down in the distorted frame.

Alx

Watching the gif, there are parts where you can guess the original objects under the overlay, and others where it doesn't seem possible to be a real capture... but the video compression may be playing tricks, too, and because of the apparent motion of the ripple it could add distorsion in the picture different than what is really seen (since that effect is meant to fool the human eye, it can fool a compression algorithm too).
For now I'll just suppose some of the effects in the video are "target renders", although it's still possible that they're legit. We'll know soon enough anyway.

derFeef

The wires clearly move positions in the two frames, they are lower down in the distorted frame.

It's distorted, of course it looks like they move, that's the whole point of the effect?
Also keep ing mind the projector light casts shadow... look at the boxes.

Yes. In the normal frame is where they are laying. In the distorted frame, the original wires should still be visible in their original position, with another projected pair of wires visible too, but there is only ever one set of wires visible. This doesn't make any sense unless they used video effects on the footage itself.
A bright enough projector should be able to overwhelm the dark wires with enough color and intensity of the new image projected, making it appear as though they're not there (momentarily), assuming you're looking straight on at it from the point of projection. I assume that the Kinect will adjust the image based on the player's facing direction and the light in the room and not just by position of the projector itself.

Top Bottom