• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Looks like they simply distorted and projected a capture of that part of the room. Not sure what's impossible about it. The area of the image where the wires are is simply moved downward and warped. The bottom of the entertainment center above the wires is even dropped below the shadow or dark trim from the actual furniture itself. They're going to show it off some more this year, so it's not like we won't get better looks at it and hands-on impressions of it sooner than later.

They can test each 'pixel' to see how it reacts under different colours too, and use that info to compensate the projection colour as they're not using a simple white background .

iceatcs

Ripple effect is doable. All you have to take photo/scan the room while light on, upload to the computer do the shit for you. Switch off, then the room look like light is on.

dose

Ripple effect is doable. All you have to take photo/scan the room while light on, upload to the computer do the shit for you. Switch off, then the room look like light is on.
That still doesn't explain why the original wires aren't visible in the distorted frame.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A bright enough projector should be able to overwhelm the dark wires with enough color and intensity of the new image projected, making it appear as though they're not there (momentarily), assuming you're looking straight on at it from the point of projection.

I don't think this really matters at all - the video communicates the idea fine - but I think you're stretching there, just a tad.

I was about to sarcastically make a joke about a projector making things magically disappear...

The only way a projector could make something sort-of more difficult to see is if projected an area of the same colour. Even then the texture and geometry differences of the real object etc. would make it obvious the thing was still there. In this case you're talking about a light coloured light (the beigy-white of the carpet) making a dark object hard to see? The opposite would be the case. Shine a white light on a black object and see how 'white' the object looks...

Still kinda shocked people are so impressed with this. It's a neat feature that should be included in a software update or something, but I don't think it would really grab any mass appeal.

iceatcs

That still doesn't explain why the original wires aren't visible in the distorted frame.

I dunno about this video. It could be post-production for PR purpose. MS does love fake people montage.
I'm just saying it is technical possible to do like this effect with simple equipments.

What rubbish. That would have to be some powerful light to make a black wire look white.

Well, it's low-res, heavily-artifacted video we're looking at. I'm not saying it would make it disappear, but in essence, it would hide it with very bright light for the moment. Until we get more and better footage, I'll just stay in the not-faked column.

It does if they were tidied up after scanning. I'm not sure if that's what happened as it looks a bit too good, but I think the static shot of the wobble in the trailer is filmed from right next to the projector, which should help.

derFeef

I dunno about this video. It could be post-production for PR purpose. MS does love fake people montage.
I'm just saying it is technical possible to do like this effect with simple equipments.

It's MS Research, that's a bit different than those early Natal concept videos I think.

iceatcs

It's MS Research, that's a bit different than those early Natal concept videos I think.

Seem it have very similar cinemax with Xbox kinect video market. Fake massive living room with fake family or person. I won't be surprise if MS have own modelling agency.

iceatcs

Don't worry. It is nothing to do with bad or good thing, if you felt offensive.

I'm just said it is quite similar style, I assume they use the same market agent for most of their video portfolio.

But guys, the projection snow!
Yeah pretty cool effect. It could have smaller snow, seem bit too large in this video.

This doesn't seem nearly as immersive or innovative as the oculus rift, even if it's more expensive. Sometimes the most sensible solutions/evolutions are the best. I don't want bookshelves in my room to have a bunch of uneven and warped video displayed on it. They should sell this thing with a spherical room with nothing in it; that's the only way it could look good.

derFeef

I think the "Xbox Display" is messing with peoples expectations, it's my fault, but the IllumiRoom came up after I posted it :/

Alx

This doesn't seem nearly as immersive or innovative as the oculus rift, even if it's more expensive. Sometimes the most sensible solutions/evolutions are the best. I don't want bookshelves in my room to have a bunch of uneven and warped video displayed on it. They should sell this thing with a spherical room with nothing in it; that's the only way it could look good.

Weren't you mentioning "sensible solutions" just before ? :D
The main point of the tech displayed in the video is precisely that it doesn't need a spherical screen to look good : the projector "knows" the shape of the shelves and the position of the user's head, and "pre-warps" the image so that once it's projected, the deformation warps it back to how it's supposed to look.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't want bookshelves in my room to have a bunch of uneven and warped video displayed on it. They should sell this thing with a spherical room with nothing in it; that's the only way it could look good.

But you are not really suppose to be looking at the walls when you are playing the game. What this effect does is causes you to feel more immersed in the game environment as you keep your attention on to the game itself.

Say for example I'm driving around at night in a racing game. I'm not going to be looking directly at the street lights as they pass me by. However, noticing (and/or feeling) lights passing me by as I race would be very immersive; regardless of how the street lights look on my wall due to picture and/or shelves.

Also, the tech will help things out so that it doesn't look too warped/uneven.

Holy smokes I can totally see this working. The immersion will be significantly enhanced.

It's obvious a next gen gfx boost will not be enough to capture the imagination of the consumers. Many would not even notice. The next Xbox will have this and it will be explosive.

Well done Microsoft. Your move Sony.

But you are not really suppose to be looking at the walls when you are playing the game. What this effect does is causes you to feel more immersed in the game environment as you keep your attention on to the game itself.

Say for example I'm driving around at night in a racing game. I'm not going to be looking directly at the street lights as they pass me by. However, noticing (and/or feeling) lights passing me by as I race would be very immersive; regardless of how the street lights look on my wall due to picture and/or shelves.

Also, the tech will help things out so that it doesn't look too warped/uneven.

If it's just extra atmosphere without detail then I suppose that's fine, but it's still going to look like a projector projected onto a material that isn't meant for it. I'm still interested in it, don't get me wrong, it just seems a bit odd to me.

Weren't you mentioning "sensible solutions" just before ? :D
The main point of the tech displayed in the video is precisely that it doesn't need a spherical screen to look good : the projector "knows" the shape of the shelves and the position of the user's head, and "pre-warps" the image so that once it's projected, the deformation warps it back to how it's supposed to look.

Right, a sphere is not sensible , but at least it would look correct (but you're right there about my contradicting myself, haha). A square room is going to look weird, even if the device somehow alters accordingly. If you aren't focusing on it I'm sure it's okay, but I see things like the oculus rift as being much more unified and engrossing. Even if the projector does account for different surface types to some degree, how does it fully account for material/color? Reflective surfaces will look strange, certain colors like red won't work well with projected light, etc. There are just so many variables, I'll have to see this thing in action before I make a decision I suppose.

Such a small thing, but I just imagined what this could do to add to the effect of thunderstorms in Red Dead Redemption. The lightning flashes and rain and turbulent clouds.

Totally. Imagine call of duty or whatever shooter is ones flavour, like being in the middle of a war. Haha.

meta4

Such a small thing, but I just imagined what this could do to add to the effect of thunderstorms in Red Dead Redemption. The lightning flashes and rain and turbulent clouds.

It will be amazing for weather effects. Simulating rain and thunder will be soo cool.

Z3M0G

So for this to work, Kinect would need to be behind you as well... Or is it expected that the projector device will simply have Kinect eyes as well?

So for this to work, Kinect would need to be behind you as well... Or is it expected that the projector device will simply have Kinect eyes as well?

It has at least one eye and projector for what it's doing, it might have the IR projector/camera pair too. It might be that you could place it behind you or by the tv depending on what game you're playing, i dunno.

If you combine it with headtracking you can project things that line up with the viewer's perspective, which is what that Sony video was doing i guess.

Tain

If there were some sort of future Kinect+Projector combo that you could stick on your ceiling that did this, I could see some value. As it stands, setting up a Kinect and a projector for something that seems less immersive than simply playing a game on a projector screen? Nah.

Pyronite

Not much discussion about this technology as a step towards a new one. I see this as the first step towards something approaching room-based VR.

Karak

Not much discussion about this technology as a step towards a new one. I see this as the first step towards something approaching room-based VR.

We tried a couple times but it kept getting drowned out but I fully agree. Even what was shown will be optimized. I would love some kind of room based VR. We are years out but this, Oculus, and stuff no one has even announced yet, will all push us forward.

If there were some sort of future Kinect+Projector combo that you could stick on your ceiling that did this, I could see some value. As it stands, setting up a Kinect and a projector for something that seems less immersive than simply playing a game on a projector screen? Nah.

At first glance it may appear this way. But I have a projector wall. Like 140 inches. And something like this does more than that even. It may not be for everyone but its not the same as a flat screen in front of you.

Spinluck

Sorta cool, but sorta dumb at the same time.

And people were saying the Wii U is gimmicky.
It's a much more interesting concept than this.

I like this much better than wearing stupid goggles.

I think this has much more mainstream potential than VR goggles. Also it's an effect that can be shared with multiple people at once. A tiny inexpensive Pico projector could probably achieve a pretty awesome effect that makes games more immersive. Remember the stuff that is being projected is not supposed to be focused on by your eyes, it is just happening in the peripheral and so even if it is a relatively weak or blurry projection it still enhances the sense of immersion

Kinect plus IllumiRoom bringing us yet another small step closer to the Holodeck.

mantidor

I guess as some add-on it would be interesting...

ok, I honestly can't find a good use for this, except if you have a pristine white room, in that case immersion might be awesome, but a room with normal furniture is just going to give you a lot of motion sickness, the room itself was too distracting in the video. Now getting your room into the game allows great possibilities, like playing a game of hide and seek for instance, but this doesn't seem like it wants you to get up from your couch.

I guess as some add-on it would be interesting...

ok, I honestly can't find a good use for this, except if you have a pristine white room, in that case immersion might be awesome, but a room with normal furniture is just going to give you a lot of motion sickness, the room itself was too distracting in the video. Now getting your room into the game allows great possibilities, like playing a game of hide and seek for instance, but this doesn't seem like it wants you to get up from your couch.

You don't need to have a pristine white room, you just need a really dark room and a bright bulb to get a good clear effect.

I can already think of a lot of potentially good uses for it:

Planetarium in your room controllable via motion or voice.

IMAX aspect ratio possible for Xbox videos.

Make Dance Central feel like an actual dance club.

Grab menu items off screen with Kinect without having to pause game and go to menu screens.

SmartGlass content on your walls while watching a movie or TV show. Hate looking up and down at tablet when trying to watch a video.

Make a small TV feel like a giant one.

cRIPticon

We tried a couple times but it kept getting drowned out but I fully agree. Even what was shown will be optimized. I would love some kind of room based VR. We are years out but this, Oculus, and stuff no one has even announced yet, will all push us forward.

You mean like OLED "wallpaper" that has a module that plugs in at the baseboard and syncs over WiFi? Hmmmm......

Speaking in terms of inmersion i think the 3D VR headset is a more useful, (noble? whatever) goal to pursuit at this stage in time. Yes, it has some drawbacks like ergonomics and being limited in really good use for some games. But finally is withing reach.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I call bullshit on this.
In the gif below you can see the wires under the cabinet actually shift position. There is no trace of them in their 'normal' position when everything distorts. You can't make it look like this without adding video effects. This happens with the cabinets too.

Ph2Bp.gif

You don't know what your talking about.

Looks well trippy. I've seen stuff like this being done on buildings. It's pretty cool.

M_A_C

Sorta cool, but sorta dumb at the same time.

And people were saying the Wii U is gimmicky.
It's a much more interesting concept than this.

Same thing can be said about SmartGlass. Remember when the press thought that was actually going to be good?

Top Bottom