• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Surround Video

Basically. Unnecessary to play, but adds a lot if you're willing to accommodate it.
But oculus requires you to use a big ass helmet to use, this requires you to wear no extra equipment, which also counts on immersion... I can see an approach like that being better suited to long uses than a VR helmet.
Also, everyone can experience it at the same time for the one-time cost.

Raide

Like, 95% of it looked distracting as hell. I liked the snowfall, though. Could be good for ambient effects like that. I don't need the entire environment rendered around me in a different color and at a slight lag. That looked annoying.

Yeah, some of it looks really distracting but it could make for some interesting tech for immersion purposes. Need to see more footage really.

red731

My dog already can't be in the same room as me when I'm gaming. If I raise my voice even a little(I yell at my games), she thinks someone is mad at her. But yeah, all these lights would freak her out. Extending the game out like in the video seemed distracting as hell. Ambient light and weather effects, though, is really cool.

Mine can be in my room, but he chooses to go away somewhere where he can rest without sounds. Sometimes he heards something he doesn't like and barfs, thus creating jump scares out of nowhere....

Something like "wireframe" engine can look cool since everything will look kinda same on TV and on the walls.

If implemented well in a game this could be awesome. Fire effects, flash muzzle for guns, etc ... I would love to see tire smoke in a driving game "leak" out from the screen.

Awesome idea.

CES to E3 is like my nerdy Christmas.

Tablet based controller = gimmicky distraction from a game

Flashing lights on your floor and peripheral vision = omg awesome can't wait

You seem to take this personal. Are you OK? Would you like someone to talk to? There are people that can help.

sangreal

This projection thing is interesting (very gimmicky though). I wonder how they consider calibrating it. Maybe having the screen display a specific pattern for the camera to recognize...

That's exactly what they do... it's demonstrated in the video

But oculus requires you to use a big ass helmet to use, this requires you to wear no extra equipment, which also counts on immersion... I can see an approach like that being better suited to long uses than a VR helmet.

I think rift is the better option, but its also the "buy a steering wheel/flight stick/arcade stick to enjoy to the fullest" option which most people just don't want to do, and instead would take some super easy to setup thing they put on top of their TV

OrangeOak

It looks really cool.I would love to see some good implementation of this in racing game.
There is some potential I think.

I think the atmospheric stuff looks better than the widened gameplay footage.
I think the widened view would be neat for scary games, maybe not a completely expanded view but subtle shadows coming from off screen. Atmosphere stuff makes me want a version of Metroid Prime with this technology.

kyo27

Wow, I thought it sounded dumb at first. But after watching the video, it looks pretty awesome. Seems like it can add a lot of atmosphere to the gaming experience.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think this is cool, and I'd love to have it. But it's more of a "fireworks" kind of thing, rather than something that aids immersion.

It reminds me of some cool gimmick that would draw you to an arcade machine.

params7

Banned
Basically. Unnecessary to play, but adds a lot if you're willing to accommodate it.

Not even close to anything like surround video unless it actually shows in-game objects in real time with screen. This won't work at all with competitive gaming. I use headphones which emulate 5.1 surround sound in shooters so I can hear footsteps more precisely before I get shot. That's a legit extension of sound. Meanwhile this thing will just be a huge distraction in competitive games.

I'll say it has its place in the casual gaming spectrum. Something kids might enjoy.

abadguy

Banned
Smaller things like sparks and bullets coming out of the screen and the snow look really nice. Having the entire viewpoint expanded looks too distracting. A lot of interesting possibilities though.

I wonder if maybe it will have settings. Like if you just want certain effects to pop out of the display ( like the snow) instead of the expanded viewpoint.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
save the gimmick bullcrap for grandma and just gimme a great game with a solid controller to play it with any day.

Seems like it could be really cool. Wasn't a big fan of it in the twitch shooters but the snow looked really cool. Imagine Snake Eater's Boss sequence with that tech, it'd be amazing.

Karak

I wonder if maybe it will have settings. Like if you just want certain effects to pop out of the display ( like the snow) instead of the expanded viewpoint.

You can expect devs to use it as they use any additional device. Some may render xray style visuals(as in the video), others may just do ambiant. The ambiant light TV system someone else posted is actually amazing fun to use and this is an extension but build for games+

RPG's like Skyrim with snow and such.
Their technology for identifying what needs to be drawn with low and then high resolution seems to be working very well as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's a neat gimmick, but do I really need the room to throw out the entire level as a light show while not expanding the game? Seems kinda pointless with the gun/FPS game being right in the middle instead of to the right of me, you know?

Alx

That's exactly what they do... it's demonstrated in the video

I think the grid projection thing is more of an illustration than a real calibration thing ; or maybe it will be used to calibrate the kinect relative to the projector (but it would be easier to have both integrated in a single device). But they still need to calibrate the screen position itself relative to the projector, so that the transition between the screen image and the projected image is smooth. A simple "scanning" message wouldn't be precise enough I suppose, but it wouldn't be too hard to display something more useful.

It's a neat gimmick, but do I really need the room to throw out the entire level as a light show while not expanding the game? Seems kinda pointless with the gun/FPS game being right in the middle instead of to the right of me, you know?

I suppose it's meant to stimulate your peripheral vision, like in real life : you're still focused at the center of your field of view, but you can percieve appropriate motion on the sides. It may be effective for racing games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So I presume games would have to render a larger view for this?

As far as peripherals go that need dev intervention / cost performance etc. I think I'd prefer a push on an Oculus Rift type add on.

Interesting research though, and it does dovetail with Kinect I guess.

MisterC20XX

I wonder if it could be used to project HUD elements outside of the screen?

I was just thinking that too, HUD elements... outside the screen... that I can reach out and touch!

r8Zpm.jpg

This would be awesome for directional alerts in FPS games, the little red arrow indicators or such like in Halo.

I really feel that this generational leap for consoles is a lot bigger step than the last couple. Like the step we took from SNES/Genesis to PS1/N64. That was a significant leap with game design. It seems with this new technology and how cheap it is starting to become that we could be in for one of those type of leaps again. Between motion control and VR becoming more mainstream and acceptable it's going to be a crazy next few years in the gaming world.

It looks cool but wouldn't you need a (probably very) expensive projector behind you to pull this off? This will be one of those things that wont hit mass market simply due to the price.

derFeef

I hope it comes with a box of aspirinas or something for the headaches

Do you get headache in the cinema as well? It might be distracting, no idea, have not tried it, but I don't see this being more of an "eyestrain" than gaming in general and watching a movie at the cinema.

Top Bottom