• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It would be unfortunate if you were forced to buy this bundled with the TV... I'd rather buy the add-on for my own set.

Raide

I think this would be badass in a racing game. The effect might actually be convincing: imagine driving through a tunnel, street lights pulsing through your living room. And then you reach the exit to outside, and your room explodes into a sunny, blue-sky ambiance.

Holy shit that would be awesome. If they can have it raining all around you, while using Kinect to head-track, it could be pretty cool to play with.

It would be unfortunate if you were forced to buy this bundled with the TV... I'd rather buy the add-on for my own set.

Agreed.

Takuya

Banned

IllumiRoom uses a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector to blur the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds. For example, our system can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.

Our system uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics. What you see in the videos below has been captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production.

I would hardly call that blurring the lines though.

I think this would be badass in a racing game. The effect might actually be convincing: imagine driving through a tunnel, street lights pulsing through your living room. And then you reach the exit to outside, and your room explodes into a sunny, blue-sky ambiance.

Awesome point. You'll get a sense of speed that you don't get from staring at a monitor.

Zero148

honestly, this looks absolutely terrible to me in the video and seems like a big distracton from the main display. Also it would only work in a dark room, daylight kills the effect.

Imo the content of the trailer is quite funny, like someone said: "Hey, we are only showing a shooter, lets throw a few seconds of a cart game in there and then back to shooting other people"

Bgamer90

Banned
i'm really surprised at the positive reactions this monstrosity is receiving

to me it looks like distracting and gimmicky bullshit

It could work for certain genres. I think racing games for example could work well.

I'm skeptical but I keep an open mind.

I find it funny how gamers who want innovation are largely the same ones who are quick to call something a gimmick and then dismiss it completely.

SPDIF

I wonder what that device connected to the Xbox is (on the right).

ibjdecQtLfEBq6.png

BocoDragon

Now THAT would be amazing. It could work with atmospheric games as extension of the generic atmosphere. But other than that, I don't want an extended HUD being display over my coffee mugs and game covers next to my TV lol
I think the key use is "ambiance". It would be convincing to make sunny settings feel sunny, have nighttime illumination feel real, "red alerts" in sci-fi or stealth games, etc.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Looks awesome! This is certainly something I'd like to have when I have someone else playing with me (to entertain everyone in the room).

Shame MS patented this, would love to see it with Nintendo's and Sony's consoles (and PC too, although being too close to the screen would defeat the purpose).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Via CVG
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385755/microsoft-reveals-xbox-illumiroom-concept-video/

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=re1EatGRV0w#!

The system uses Kinect and a projector to augment the area surrounding the television screen with projected visualizations.

According to Microsoft, IllumiRoom can "change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences."

The demo video below shows effects such as falling snow and explosions being projected into the living room. The video was captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production, Microsoft says.

This actually sounds like a cool use of Kinect. Pretty neat concept.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Problem with the headsets is that they are too isolating. They can't quite sell "family fun" showing a kid wearing something that completely disables his vision of real world. A mere though of that is offputting to regular people. Headsets, especially the headtracking ones, on the other hand provide real value.

This on the other hand is sellable as a family concept, but kind of worthless and really distracting.

KageMaru

Does anyone have the video of the demo shown off at Samsung's conference?

Why do MS research stuff like this? It looks terrible and distracting at best. How would this work on anything but you sat in the middle of the room?

Another pointless attempt to stay technologically relevant from MS I feel. They could have spent a fortune on VR and destroyed the competition with a real, innovative headset that really immerses you, instead were given a light show that will add nothing to your game and you'll probably turn off after 10 minutes anyway.

Making a more powerful machine is not enough for some people. I don't see anything wrong with researching other ways to immerse people into the game. Just because the idea isn't for everyone doesn't mean the idea is horrible to begin with.

You much rather them spend money researching something not game related?

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-research-shows-off-illumiroom-project-at-ces/

IllumiRoom uses a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector to blur the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds. For example, our system can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.

Our system uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics. What you see in the videos below has been captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production.

IllumiRoom seems official name? thread title change I guess :)

The bolded paragraph is really impressive. Even if the concept isn't that appealing to me, I can appreciate what they are doing from a technical standpoint.

kyo27

I don't think they mentioned a specific TV would be required for this unless I missed that part. Maybe Samsung collaborated with MS on the projector.

Not sure how this generates anywhere near the same level of reaction as Oculus Rift. This seems like a cool gimmick. A game light show. Fun with kinect 2.0 for a moment, but ultimately, just a blip. Add Karaoke, and it's family disco.

Oculus Rift, by all accounts, is the beginning of a true revolution in gaming. I mean, if properly implemented, it could make even OLDER games much more immersive.

Haunted

Kinda like an expanded Ambilight?

Could be a cool addition if the effects are convincing in person. That's the kind of extra visual pizazz I could envision Kinect being useful for.

I wonder how much processing it would require even for that simple snow effect. It's like those webcam "snow effects" things, but this uses the Kinects data I'm guessing for 3D positioning of objects as well.

425kid

This is really cool, way better implementation of the outside the tv thing Nintendo was trying to do with Wii U. I was day 1 for Kinect, will be day 1 for this too!
if not too expensive

BocoDragon

Not sure how this generates anywhere near the same level of reaction as Oculus Rift. This seems like a cool gimmick. A game light show. Fun with kinect 2.0 for a moment, but ultimately, just a blip. Add Karaoke, and it's family disco.

Oculus Rift, by all accounts, is the beginning of a true revolution in gaming. I mean, if properly implemented, it could make even OLDER games much more immersive.
I think you are right in that Oculus Rift and this tech should not be compared at all.

bounchfx

wow that's pretty incredible. I liked in the FPS shots how the TV even seemed to disappear and the entire wall was your screen. intense.

triggaz

Banned
Not even close to anything like surround video unless it actually shows in-game objects in real time with screen. This won't work at all with competitive gaming. I use headphones which emulate 5.1 surround sound in shooters so I can hear footsteps more precisely before I get shot. That's a legit extension of sound. Meanwhile this thing will just be a huge distraction in competitive games.

I'll say it has its place in the casual gaming spectrum. Something kids might enjoy.

competitive games what are you talking about? That's no where near the focus of this.

derFeef

The problem is though that the Rift will be too immersive for some people, if you know what I mean. It seals you off and you kinda need to prepare for the use of it. I think those two are not comparable at all with what they want to do.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Top Bottom