• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

Yeah, racing games and flight games (especially in cockpit view) could look pretty amazing with this.

Tablet based controller = gimmicky distraction from a game

Flashing lights on your floor and peripheral vision = omg awesome can't wait
One makes you look away from the main screen to a peripheral screen. The other expands the main screen. Pretty big difference IMO.

Cramoss

Rez HD on this...

6i7dd.gif

bounchfx

think of the potential. Shit like Rez would be incredible, dancing games could have your entire room lit up, full vision in racing games, etc. Pretty crazy. There's a lot of cool stuff that could spawn from this.

I would hardly call that blurring the lines though.

Think of playing GTA and you can see in your peripheral vision the flashing of blue and red lights when the cops are chasing you (or NFS). That to me is 'blurring the lines'.

There really are some great ideas in this thread that would add tons of immersion.

I think the smaller effects would be the best. The ones that add snow on a snow level, or rain in a rain level. Ambient light or position based visual ques. I don't like the expansion of the screen as I don't even like multiple monitor setups with gaming. I prefer one fluid screen. But adding subtle touches like a 7.1 sound system does, but visually, seems pretty amazing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm failing to see the appeal to this. Just looks like another gimmick. And something that would be distracting.

Its in your peripheral vision which I see where they are trying to go with it. But like everyone else said its very gimmicky. Give me OCULUS RIFT any day of the week over this.

i-Lo

NEXT GEN GEOMETRY WARS EPILEPSY ATTACKS

Corrected.

Someone said something about the detail in the peripheral area of the display not being high enough in detail. I remember looking at the horizon in the canyon segment of Halo 4 and boy did it kill the immersion. It's all good as long things are moving but what happens once you are still?

425kid

The thing about this, is the social aspect. You don't need a headset for each person. Everyone around the room can see this. It makes this much more approachable to people. I think glasses 3d suffer from the same thing, the barrier to enjoyment is too much, but that is getting off topic.

Rez HD on this...
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiii. Child of Eden on this THING!!!!!
Personally I find movement in my peripheral vision more distracting, not less.
If that movement is conveying important information, it shouldn't be. I'm not saying this tech works in all situations and it most definitely will be abused, but done right, it could be pretty amazing. Assuming it works as advertised.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Its in your peripheral vision which I see where they are trying to go with it. But like everyone else said its very gimmicky. Give me OCULUS RIFT any day of the week over this.

Well except I could talk to the wife into this. I can imagine knowing MS there would be something like room themes. Like when we host our xmass party at our house having snow fall and things like that on the walls would be something she would go crazy for. She could decorate the room with out doing anything with different themes.

KKRT00

I was talking about those rumors
http://***************/2012/11/29/r...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/ // yeah banned site ;p dual pixels

Microsoft will introduce the “LiveWall”, a omni-projection unit that will allow game environments to be projected nearly 360 degrees around the user. Using Kinect 2, they have two demos of one that is a battlefield RTS and one that is a kung fu game with guys attacking all around. The LiveWall can also project different images on the wa

Pooya

Not sure how this generates anywhere near the same level of reaction as Oculus Rift. This seems like a cool gimmick. A game light show. Fun with kinect 2.0 for a moment, but ultimately, just a blip. Add Karaoke, and it's family disco.

Oculus Rift, by all accounts, is the beginning of a true revolution in gaming. I mean, if properly implemented, it could make even OLDER games much more immersive.

Oculus Rift and other similar visions are individual, solo experiences, and beside you have to wear something, failure of 3D TVs proved that people don't want to wear something like that in their living rooms. It just won't have mass appeal, this is much much easier to sell.

derFeef

Could be a mockup, as it looks exactly like the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse, the green lights are in the same place too.

Nah, there is a lense in front of it, you can see it change the color in the video.

are you referring to that thing to the right of the xbox, with the wire coming out of it? if so, thats not it, thats the volume control for the speakers that are above the xbox.

Are you sure?

Somnid

it's distracting and annoying. give me something like an Oculus Rift instead.

Phone rings. Now what?

Anyway cool concept. I use a set of Cyborg Gaming lights on my PC. I really do like the effect and would love to see expansion on the idea. It doesn't have to be projector flinging stuff all over the walls, just setting some ambiance.

Think of playing GTA and you can see in your peripheral vision the flashing of blue and red lights when the cops are chasing you (or NFS). That to me is 'blurring the lines'.

Personally, I think that this type of enhancement could help improve the lack of peripheral vision in third and first person 3D games that is now often handled with HUD elements, like a radar or incoming directional damage indicator on-screen. Stealth vision cones, visualized sounds, and threats directly behind the player character would be handled much more naturally with a new focus on the display of the world itself instead of the stuff on the lens of the camera. Like driving games that prioritize clarity and immediate visual feedback and quality so that you can focus on the road and horizon rather than a few feet in front of you. It will, with good execution, make the experience more immersive, for sure.

onQ123

Does anyone have the video of the demo shown off at Samsung's conference?

Making a more powerful machine is not enough for some people. I don't see anything wrong with researching other ways to immerse people into the game. Just because the idea isn't for everyone doesn't mean the idea is horrible to begin with.

You much rather them spend money researching something not game related?

The bolded paragraph is really impressive. Even if the concept isn't that appealing to me, I can appreciate what they are doing from a technical standpoint.

seems to be almost the same thing that Sony did.

Forget 3D monitors and head-mounted OLED displays — what we want Sony to build is a virtual reality experience like the one it's advertising in these three fantastic YouTube videos. Sony recruited creative agency Studio Output and the Marshmallow Laser Factory to build a series of viral films to advertise the PlayStation Video Store, and oh, the incredible footage they've made, combining the efforts of live actors with 3D projection mapping, head-tracking (with attached PlayStation Move controllers) and a steadicam for three augmented reality treats, each filmed in a single take.

Basically, what you're looking at is a 2D video of a virtual 3D environment projected onto a real-life scene, but because the camera's motion is tracked as it changes perspective (remember Johnny Chung Lee?) it can simulate a 3D holodeck to viewers of the scene. Best of all, you won't have to pay at the PlayStation Store to watch these films at high quality; each is available immediately below at 1080p.

sony-projection-mapping-holodeck-640_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/1/2...aystation-video-store-ads-simulate-a-holodeck

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But oculus requires you to use a big ass helmet to use, this requires you to wear no extra equipment, which also counts on immersion... I can see an approach like that being better suited to long uses than a VR helmet.

Yeah, it just requires a big ass projector sitting behind you. And a clear wall to project onto for best effect. Much more convenient :/

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Aliens Colonial Marines with this gear could be absolutely incredible. All they have to is make you think you saw/heard something out of the corner of your eye.

Jetku

I just don't understand why this would be a good thing. I don't really understand what it's trying to do, or see any benefits it could provide. I was optimistic with Kinect, but MS will have to work pretty hard to sell me on this one...

phalestine

aka iby.h
There are no clear walls in the video? tbh I think the "ripple" effect is the best, only seem to work with stuff around.

Ah, okay, what's the "lense" looking thing in front of it?

its the logitech logo lol :)

the two green lights are the power button and the bass button

logitech_x540_09_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up.

meta4

Not sure how this generates anywhere near the same level of reaction as Oculus Rift. This seems like a cool gimmick. A game light show. Fun with kinect 2.0 for a moment, but ultimately, just a blip. Add Karaoke, and it's family disco.

Oculus Rift, by all accounts, is the beginning of a true revolution in gaming. I mean, if properly implemented, it could make even OLDER games much more immersive.

Oculus Rift is obviously the next big thing for immersion. This is not anywhere close to providing that kind of immersion. Having said that this is still cool when the effects are limited. Stuff like weather effects etc would be really cool. The snow flakes part was nice. Rest of the stuff just seems too distracting. This would however be way more easy to market to the family than the Rift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N_cKsOe7hLI#!

this sony one is insane too, personally I would really want something like this. that is the future for your ass. I want either sony or ms to do this!

Da hell is this? I cannot understand what is happening..

Top Bottom