• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazinAm

The 1000 series GPUs are better thermally though, they could potentially make the unit shorter if they wanted.
I think the 980m is better performance than the 1060 laptop I believe. But I think people are assuming that a 1080 or 1070 laptop chip would fit and I believe that is not the case.
I work in the New York 5th ave store, We will have it on display by tomorrow. I've seen it up close, ITS BEAUTIFUL and one slick machine.
I might stop by the store tomorrow.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
why are people complaining about specs?

this isn't meant to play games but for photoshop. specs are likely more than good enough.

Photoshop in some ways is more demanding. Photoshop is GPU accelerated these days and things like filters, image zooming, rotation, and other things get bogged with huge files.

Also they seem to be targeting pro artists and that doesn't just mean photoshop. More and more compositing software like Nuke and Fusion uses the GPU, not to mention things like maya and max.

In fact most of the texturing I do these days is not done in photoshop, it's all 3d painting :)

Ugh I want to, but I would just get depressed.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This.

This is what a 27 inch wacom cintiq looks like:

BsgtUxD.jpg

It's insanely bulky, has a pretty mediocre screen, and costs 2800 USD, and it's only a monitor!

Actually, the stand doesn't come with the Cintiq 27QHD and it's $400 so what's in this picture would be $3200.

EDIT: I see I was beaten.

Looks pretty, it's good to see MS continue to push design and make their own hardware. It does look to large to use practically for an extended period of time. I just imagine people's arms getting tired after an hour or two with this, or any other large scale touchscreen.
Maybe I'm wrong, but the track record for large touch screens is not very good, as in most folks don't use the touch screen.
Anything that'll force Wacom to come up with something new, or cheaper, is OK by me.

Breads

Banned
?

Pricing seems comparable to other Wacom Cintiq products.

Was that a serious comment or just a drive-by shitpost?

Yeah seriously if you get the wacom 27QHD touch and the stand (which is absolutely vital for something of this size, do not overlook the convenience of the fact that it comes with the Surface Studio) it comes out to the same price.

Except you lack the 4k+ screen and standalone computer guts in comparison. Making this a more interesting value prop at the moment... albeit with little word on the stylus/ digitizer.

Zaru

this isn't meant to play games but for photoshop. specs are likely more than good enough.

On a canvas the size of the Studio's resolution, with a big and not trivial brush, my PC is already lagging despite being a capable gaming PC (Xeon 1231v3, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970). And that's with one layer.

Performance isn't an afterthought for professional artists.

CDX

I just doodle, so the Cintiq or these sorts of things are WAY out of my price range. But I still window shop and drool at them.

But I think this would be even more interesting if they also made a stand alone Monitor/Stand version, that you could hook up to any PC. The All in One concept with those specs limit it's appeal, at least IMO.

Doc Holliday

Actually, the stand doesn't come with the Cintiq 27QHD and it's $400 so what's in this picture would be $3200.

EDIT: I see I was beaten.

I don't think this is correct, that is the included stand.

Maybe he meant the Ergotron arm?

EDit: Wow, I had no idea they included another stand instead of the fully adjustable one...LOL

But I think this would be even more interesting if they also made a stand alone Monitor/Stand version, that you could hook up to any PC. The All in One concept with those specs limit it's appeal, at least IMO.
Yeah when I was watching the reveal I was going "oh shit it's the return of 16:10 but better!"

if Microsoft adds a VESA mount and GSync to the display and I'll make it my main monitor

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah seriously if you get the wacom 27QHD touch and the stand (which is absolutely vital for something of this size, do not overlook the convenience of the fact that it comes with the Surface Studio) it comes out to the same price.

Except you lack the 4k+ screen and standalone computer guts in comparison. Making this a more interesting value prop at the moment... albeit with little word on the stylus/ digitizer.

The only thing making the Cintiq more attractive is that it hooks up to any computer. This doesn't look like it can be upgraded so you may need to replace the whole thing every couple of years.

They really should have had a version without the computer hardware.

I don't think this is correct, that is the included stand.

Maybe he meant the Ergotron arm?

It does not come with a stand, mine didn't, just the little legs that pop out the back.

wacom_dtk_2700_cintiq_27qhd_27_interactive_1421427937000_1113579.jpg

people who would buy this for art shit are going to be doing more than just MSPAINT doodles(presumably), so high performance is definitely a requirement. that stuff takes more than you think

Doc Holliday

The only thing making the Cintiq more attractive is that it hooks up to any computer. This doesn't look like it can be upgraded so you may need to replace the whole thing every couple of years.

They really should have had a version without the computer hardware.

It does not come with a stand, mine didn't, just the little legs that pop out the back.

wacom_dtk_2700_cintiq_27qhd_27_interactive_1421427937000_1113579.jpg

Yep I corrected my post, I had no idea. They always demo the 27hd with the ergostand. That's pretty crazy. Does the 27hd use the shitty Anti Glare coating that my 22hd has? I wish I never sold the 21hd because of that. They went with glass+ Anti glare screen after the 21hd and it's horrible.

I think the 980m is better performance than the 1060 laptop I believe. But I think people are assuming that a 1080 or 1070 laptop chip would fit and I believe that is not the case.

1060 Mobile is like 10-20% faster than a 980m. Pascal is amazing.

This is presumably using the 900m series because they're only going to make relatively small numbers and they might have got a deal now that the 1000 series is out.

965m is ok for most purposes, 980m is really quite powerful.

Breads

Banned
This.

This is what a 27 inch wacom cintiq looks like:

BsgtUxD.jpg

It's insanely bulky, has a pretty mediocre screen, and costs 2800 USD, and it's only a monitor!

I don't find the screen mediocre. Fuck that stand though. Got me an arm instead. It's a hassle sometimes but at least it isn't $400.

pMskngE.png

I had a Cintiq but I sold it because I couldn't rotate it. This bothers some people but others are fine with it. If the Surface Studio does not rotate then I would suggest spending time with one before spending the money.

Software rotation >>>> rotating the monitor.

All worth while art software has multitouch rotation gesture. Party like it's 2010 brah.

BlazinAm

1060 Mobile is like 10-20% faster than a 980m. Pascal is amazing.
Thanks. I'm on mobile and it is hard to see the comparison graphs. I wonder if Nvidia was a bit faster in bringing Pascal onto the market maybe this would have a different GPU.

Now that I think about it I wonder how long has Microsoft been holding this announcement for....

LQX

For creative people that uses stuff like this. Isn't the screen too big? It looks as if you have to over extend to draw on it. That cant be too comfortable.

For creative people that uses stuff like this. Isn't the screen too big? It looks as if you have to over extend to draw on it. That cant be too comfortable.

Might be a problem for some, but guys like this saying stuff like this:

I will tell you that the Surface Studio is without a doubt the best digital drawing experience I have ever tried.

has to count for something.

Breads

Banned

I got over it real quick. Hour 10 with it I didn't even notice the extra arm movements any more. Like any workflow changes it just requires some getting used to. Didn't take long until my back and neck started thanking me now that I no longer had to hunch over as I would with smaller drawing tablets. More so now that I have an arm that lets me adjust it to wherever or however I feel like using it.

You can move the canvas around and only use the portion that you want to reach. Zoom in and out, rotate, pan, it's all software and make things easy on huge screen like this. But if you need the realestate, you can't fake it in software.

Doc Holliday

Nah man, you draw with your shoulder and elbows, not the wrist.

It's annoying when your doing non drawing work like 3d modeling instead of sculpting, after a while your arm wants to fall off lol.

Which I still use my old intuos as a mouse.

Joe

Money follows art. If MS executes this well and it gets actual traction then the entire Surface line could be a massive success in a few years.

Mr. Hyde

I happened by the windows store while at the Florida mall. I didn't even know what the beast was until I started playing with it. I'm not sure if I need it as a photographer but I want it.

eso76

That's probably the sexiest thing ever.
Specs are not amazing (well, besides the screen, which sounds ridiculously awesome) and dat price..
I can see it doing well among digital artists and photographers though.
Fortunately, what I do requires less sexy and more brute force, otherwise it would be very tempting.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I happened by the windows store while at the Florida mall. I didn't even know what the beast was until I started playing with it. I'm not sure if I need it as a photographer but I want it.

There are professional photographers out there using custom dials for Lightroom editing (granted this is ultra niche) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i58JUXKtmp4
http://palettegear.com/

Would love to see if the Surface dial could be adapted for some Lightroom functions

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Money follows art. If MS executes this well and it gets actual traction then the entire Surface line could be a massive success in a few years.

yup!

Microsoft already has the poor man's cintiq locked down with surface pro

now they're taking aim at the cintiq itself

if they can get the pen improvements and full dial support part of the SP5 release.... watch out. It would be hard to argue against a complete seamless workflow everywhere between home and studio.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Awesome.

Only things I dislike is the use of 980m which came out in fucking Oct 2014 for high end model.

Come on MS you really should have used 1070 for highest end model which falls in the same power envelope as 980m yet over 70% performance gain.

Still wonderful looking product makes all other Windows PC manufacturers look like boring old shit. Love that they added DCI-P3 screen THANK FUCK MS & Apple are pushing DCI-P3.

If they release 1070 ver with KabyLake down the road that is when I'll prob check this out still I applaud MS.

Edit: People saying this could not have a 1070 are wrong NV guidelines allows manufactures to have pretty much same or better thermal / power envelope as 980m.

Animator

I didn't actually know that

Are you shitting me Wacom?

It's how Wacom is. They are a piece of shit company that screw customers because for the longest time they had a monopoly on tablets and pen screens.

This is why I am glad apple/ms are lighting a fire under their ass.

Awesome.

Only things I dislike is the use of 980m which came out in fucking Oct 2014 for high end model.

Come on MS you really should have used 1070 for highest end model which falls in the same power envelope as 980m yet over 70% performance gain.

Cannot agree more. This shouldn't have a 9 series gpu in it, it's a joke.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Looking at it more, I really want this. Just as a centerpiece in the office. It's beautiful.

The specs though, I really can't justify paying this much for two year old parts and no SSD.
If they fix that issue and create a model that's up to date, I might actually bite.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Cannot agree more. This shouldn't have a 9 series gpu in it, it's a joke.

I'd say MS got really good deal on these 900m series GPU's & 1000 series would have ended up them making less of a profit up front so they decided to go with older GPU..sadly since 1000 series is HUGE HUGE upgrade over past mobile GPU's.

I think a lot of people in design won't really care regarding GPU so I still seeing this selling an ok amount, but it will grow in appeal maybe down the line too.

The Argus

I work in the New York 5th ave store, We will have it on display by tomorrow. I've seen it up close, ITS BEAUTIFUL and one slick machine.

Awesome! I may step in this week to play around with it. I may snag one for myself and a couple for my creatives who are growing tired of their iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Wonder what Apple has in store for tomorrow besides the already leaked MacBook Pro refresh. I remember my strong Apple Fanboy friends saying the iMac will never have a touch screen because it doesn't make ergonomic sense...

Also anyone complaining about the mobile GPU has clearly never dealt with an all in one device like this or the iMac. Pretty standard, you only have so much room for proper cooling.

xJavonta

Banned

Yeah called the Chicago MS store and they said they'll have it tomorrow, I'm taking my ass down there and touching this thing everywhere. I want one but have no use for it.

I really, really want that display though. Holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom