• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
wut? You seriously need to see some hands on dial videos.that shit is game changer for artists. I cant imagine why it took someome this long to come up with it.

It really isn't a game changer though. For quality of life purposes people using art displays have been tasked with adopting keyboard replacements or risk compromising their work flow for years now and the programmable macro usb/ bluetooth pads already in play have a significant advantage over what the dial has to offer.

With one hand permanently holding the stylus for work you have to make a good case for me to stop using my macro pad which has 16 buttons, a clickable mouse wheel, and a d four direction pad. The dial just doesn't cut it.

Cmagus

This would be so nice for art but a bit pricey for me right now. I use a 12 inch Cintiq now so that will have to do but I'd love to upgrade to one of these one day.

Korey

The dial is so convoluted.

Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/8BJisE80wAc?t=50s

She's like "I can change color on the fly. As I'm drawing I can change color...it's even better than paint. I don't have to dip into a new color of paint, I can just keep my line moving." As she's rotating this color wheel thing randomly.

You know how else you can achieve that exact same thing? Having a palette grid on the screen and pressing the color with your left hand. And that way you don't have to pick up, set down, and rotate a fucking dial to get the color you want.

I found the owl image in the screen shot. I love owls so I had to get my detective on.

12L21.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

She's like "I can change color on the fly. As I'm drawing I can change color...it's even better than paint. I don't have to dip into a new color of paint, I can just keep my line moving."

You know how else you can achieve that exact same thing? Having a palette grid on the screen and picking the color with your left hand. And that way you don't have to rotate a fucking dial to get the color you want.

i don't even know what to say about this post

BLAZER

She's like "I can change color on the fly. As I'm drawing I can change color...it's even better than paint. I don't have to dip into a new color of paint, I can just keep my line moving." As she's rotating this color wheel thing randomly.

You know how else you can achieve that exact same thing? Having a palette grid on the screen and picking the color with your left hand. And that way you don't have to pick up and rotate a fucking dial to get the color you want.

Another thing i noticed is that she has to lift every time the colour is changed. So technically it isn't as fluid as what i first thought.

It looks really nice. I don't need it, but the design is spectacular. The screen must be something that must be seen to be believed. Imagine a classroom with about 30 of these.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Another thing i noticed is that she has to lift every time the colour is changed. So technically it isn't as fluid as what i first thought.

No. That's just the program.

People can utilize the dial however they want. Look at how adobe is using it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You know how else you can achieve that exact same thing? Having a palette grid on the screen and pressing the color with your left hand. And that way you don't have to pick up, set down, and rotate a fucking dial to get the color you want.

Dude, why are you talking about shit you have no clue about? Touch gets disabled when you're using the pen, otherwise you'd be doing all kinds of shit if you were leaning your hand or arm on the screen.

outsidah

iMacs have pretty decent resale values.

Yeah which unfortunately this thing won't.

I had a SurfaceBook and that thing had a ton of stupid issues. It took MS months to address them.

This new PC of theirs looks really cool and "future" like but I wouldn't trust them with that much money.

statham

IDK, that looked pretty cool to me.

Yeah which unfortunately this thing won't.

I had a SurfaceBook and that thing had a ton of stupid issues. It took MS months to address them.

This new PC of theirs looks really cool and "future" like but I wouldn't trust them with that much money.
Just checked my Surface Book on Craigslist that I got at launch.

It retains 78% of its value compared to its price at retail.

That's great.

Future

So fucking good. Ranks number 1 in shit I want but definitely don't fucking need. I even want that surface book upgrade (already own a pro 3).

Holy shit is this what Mac users usually feel like after Apple conferences

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ya know, no matter your preference in OS or price, there really seems to be a lot of amazing options in for computing devices right now.

Between cheap Chromebooks, premium Chromebooks, the iPad Pro, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book (with dedicated GPU), Razer Stealth/Blade/Blade Pro, the Dell XPS line, the iMac 5K or the Surface Studio, we're really at this awesome time when pretty much every single computer being released by a major brand and with decent parts is a truly premium, somewhat cutting edge device.

I mean, just five or six years ago, I felt like every one of my family members and friends were still buying nasty-ass beige boxes or clunky-as-fuck 8lb DVD-drive laptops with 2hrs of battery life and a 3 degree viewing angle on a 720p display blown up to 18 inches.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Ya know, no matter your preference in OS or price, there really seems to be a lot of amazing options in for computing devices right now.

Between cheap Chromebooks, premium Chromebooks, the iPad Pro, Surface Pro 4, Surface Book (with dedicated GPU), Razer Stealth/Blade/Blade Pro, the Dell XPS line, the iMac 5K or the Surface Studio, we're really at this awesome time when pretty much every single computer being released by a major brand and with decent parts is a truly premium, somewhat cutting edge device.

I mean, just five or six years ago, I felt like every one of my family members and friends were still buying nasty-ass beige boxes or clunky-as-fuck 8lb DVD-drive laptops with 2hrs of battery life and a 3 degree viewing angle on a 720p display blown up to 18 inches.

Even though Apple will never get the credit from bitter haters thanks to them everyone stepped their shit up. Also, people are more willing to pay for quality build & experience.

I know this product won't appeal to everyone but to the people it's target towards at it really is a dream product. I'm still blown away that they used a custom High DPI, DCI-P3, 3:2 aspect ratio display that's freaking kick ass.

I guess another reason for the pricing is to stay out of the way of their OEM partners. I'm sure they could have made a consumer version of this in line with the price of a base model iMac. Probably another wake up call/example for Samsung/HP/Dell to follow.

If they really want creatives to use their hardware they need to also make it affordable for the future generation of creatives which will buy into the Surface brand.

When I was in my first year at uni (visual communication) all I saw were MBPr laptops everywhere. By the time I graduated there was quite an Surface Pro presence among illustration and graphic design students after they increased the size of the screen and marketed it towards creatives.

But then again, that touch screen must be hella expensive to produce since they will only have limited amounts to sell this year. I expect their OEM partners to clone this like they did with the Surface and sell it for cheaper.

dude

dude
I was really looking into getting Wacom's MobileStudio 16" to finally upgrade from my Intuos at home (At work I use a 13" Cintiq.) But this thing is really throwing me off, it just looks so good - But I already have a high-end PC and the Surface Studio is not mobile in any way or form. I wish I could at least try it to see how well the pen performs, but I doubt they'll have preview units over here.

Animator

This is the dumbest post I have read on GAF and that is saying something. You have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Looking at that colour wheel I cannot help but notice a lack of colour selection. For an artist, they will need far far more colour available to pick. I guess maybe that particular software she is using doesn't allow for a lot of colour compared to say Photoshop?

Palm and finger rejection, how does it work?

But seriously, you REALLY have never done digital drawing, have you?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Looking at that colour wheel I cannot help but notice a lack of colour selection. For an artist, they will need far far more colour available to pick. I guess maybe that particular software she is using doesn't allow for a lot of colour compared to say Photoshop?

I think you can choose diff colour wheel options if you watch the ad the it shows it off.

Edit:

19fdb16f14.png

Chichikov

The hardware looks really great, but I would have really preferred if it was just a screen instead of an all in one.
It's not only the unit price and the fact that I have a better PC at home already, it's that AIO are generally impossible to upgrade and hard to maintain.
A screen like that could easily last me a decade (my wacom tablet is like 8 years old and still doing fine) and that would make it easier pill to swallow for me.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I think you can choose diff colour wheel options if you watch the ad the it shows it off.

Edit:

19fdb16f14.png
That's better. Now, if I am Microsoft, I will make sure the puck can support slight tilts given that you can push down on it for an action. If you allow for small tilts, then you can use that to help select colour as well without lifting your pen. Further more, that should allow all Windows 10 stations to be able to support the puck. Baring some crazy usage of the puck that I'm not aware of, a tilt feature for the puck should be able to mimick every functions for non-tablet Windows 10 stations. That will open it up for more mass consumer usage in my mind.

The hardware looks really great, but I would have really preferred if it was just a screen instead of an all in one.
It's not only the unit price and the fact that I have a better PC at home already, it's that AIO are generally impossible to upgrade and hard to maintain.
A screen like that could easily last me a decade (my wacom tablet is like 8 years old and still doing fine) and that would make it easier pill to swallow for me.
I'm sure Microsoft knows that and a stand alone monitor is coming in the future. That is the only way in which I can justify such a purchase myself and probably many other people as well. They stand to make a lot of money by selling a standalone monitor like that

This reminds me of the Vaio LX. I wanted one so bad when it came out.

d9btN3K.jpg

I really hope this thing turns out great and gets into my price range in the next 5 years.

MGrant

Going in hard on Apple's iMac marketshare. I love it. I have no reason to buy one, but I support Microsoft's Surface line and its new philosophy. They're trying new things, and Apple is releasing in my opinion tepid products.

I want to see a 5k display on the next gen, though. And a thunderbolt port. But other than that it seems like a great piece of tech.

Going in hard on Apple's iMac marketshare. I love it. I have no reason to buy one, but I support Microsoft's Surface line and its new philosophy. They're trying new things, and Apple is releasing in my opinion tepid products.

I want to see a 5k display on the next gen, though. And a thunderbolt port. But other than that it seems like a great piece of tech.

Honestly, I see this more as an attack on Wacom than on Apple. The pricing indicates that it's Wacom's market that they are after.

I do agree that Apple needs to step up their game though. No reason they shouldn't have been the one to eat Wacom's lunch.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Any talk about secret HDR capabilities? I heard no talks of it during the presentation portion that detailed the screen. I figured they Panos would have spent 10 minutes talking about dimming zones. Is HDR still too green (figuratively speaking) when you're trying talk about color correctness of a deep color screen?

DISCLAIMER: Terms may have been injured or killed during the making of this post.

dude

dude
Now that I think about it, not having to deal with Wacom drivers might be the biggest "feature" for me on this thing :p

At this point, I just assume you have owned every single computer with a pen input ever made. :)

How was it?

The digitizer was same as the Wacom PL-500 15" pen display (which was immediate precursor to the very first Cintiq, 15X which was also know as PL-550). So the pen action was great. Screen was also pretty good, especially for the time (2001). Low res (1024x768) but good viewing angle. Probably MVA and not IPS, but still nice.

The Achilles heel was the computer it was attached to via a proprietary cable (so perma married to it). It was a Pentium III 1GHz with terrible built into Northbirdge GPU which was not even Open GL capable IIRC. It has one PCI slot open for upgrades and had only 2 DIMM slots which meant 1GB of PC133 SDRAM max at the time. Such a great screen handicapped by already outdated CPU (Pentium 4 was already out at the time).

But I was so enamored by the screen (this is before Cintiqs, and PL500 was $4000 while the entire LX900 was $3000) that I put it on CompUSA credit card and bought it. Used it as much as I could before the 1GHz P III became too painful to use with Painter and Photoshop.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I mean, it's the same form factor, but you can tell one of them is much sleeker.

This is just MS telling manufacturers again to step the fuck up. It's the features what will sell it anyway. Nobody has anything fully comparable to it, just like Windows 8 tablets/hybrids couldn't compare to the first gen Surface.

I mean, it's the same form factor, but you can tell one of them is much sleeker.

This is just MS telling manufacturers again to step the fuck up. It's the features what will sell it anyway. Nobody has anything fully comparable to it, just like Windows 8 tablets/hybrids couldn't compare to the first gen Surface.

I love the fact that MS is forcing ODMs to take the pen more seriously.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hot damn, Microsoft has been really crushing it with hardware innovation recently.

And now they are going for Apple's core target, the creative industry.

I own an all-Mac creative agency, but I won't lie - Apple really needs to pick up the pace if they intend to stay in the game.

Which agency?

The digitizer was same as the Wacom PL-500 15" pen display (which was immediate precursor to the very first Cintiq, 15X which was also know as PL-550). So the pen action was great. Screen was also pretty good, especially for the time (2001). Low res (1024x768) but good viewing angle. Probably MVA and not IPS, but still nice.

The Achilles heel was the computer it was attached to via a proprietary cable (so perma married to it). It was a Pentium III 1GHz with terrible built into Northbirdge GPU which was not even Open GL capable IIRC. It has one PCI slot open for upgrades and had only 2 DIMM slots which meant 1GB of PC133 SDRAM max at the time. Such a great screen handicapped by already outdated CPU (Pentium 4 was already out at the time).

But I was so enamored by the screen (this is before Cintiqs, and PL500 was $4000 while the entire LX900 was $3000) that I put it on CompUSA credit card and bought it. Used it as much as I could before the 1GHz P III became too painful to use with Painter and Photoshop.
Hello brother. I had the PL500 too.

Shit, I still have it.

Arex

Anything said on whether the Studio can connect to another PC to be used as second monitor (like wacom's cintiq or companion)? would make the paltry specs easier to swallow :p

Sony

Nintendo

I think that's the whole concept of the Surface line:
Innovate -> Create Demand -> Attach high price to is -> Let OEM's tap into that demand by creating alternatives.

Microsofts pricing always has been high on the Surface line, not only because they are quality, but also because they want OEM's to sweep up the market that is interested in the concept of these products but can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom