• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces the Surface Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If they make it a stand-alone monitor, i'm in.

I just can't get over the fact that such a beautiful thing is destined to run such mediocre hardware over the years. If I can just keep upgrading my PC to stay current and have this thing on my desk, that sounds a hundred times more appealing.

I just can't get over the fact that such a beautiful thing is destined to run such mediocre hardware over the years. If I can just keep upgrading my PC to stay current and have this thing on my desk, that sounds a hundred times more appealing.

Well, they want to sell you some revisions over the years.

Doffen

I found the owl image in the screen shot. I love owls so I had to get my detective on.

12L21.jpg

Tried so hard to find it. Thanks man!

jelly

Surely can't be hard to remove the need for that box and connect to a standalone PC. Someone will try and we will find out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They were either crazy limited or folks went crazy over it.

I'm lusting after it, but I can't draw for shit and my 3D modeling skills are only good for making Ikea-like wooden tables. At best.

:(

dude

dude

I'm lusting after it, but I can't draw for shit and my 3D modeling skills are only good for making Ikea-like wooden tables. At best.

Me and the rest of our art department spent all day gushing over how amazing this thing looks, so I'm guessing it's quite a bit of the second. I wonder if I can convince the company to buy us one next year...

gamz

Probably both. I'm sure creative types are making their company buy them one.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Me and the rest of our art department spent all day gushing over how amazing this thing looks, so I'm guessing it's quite a bit of the second. I wonder if I can convince the company to buy us one next year...

Probably both. I'm sure creative types are making their company buy them one.

Pretty much my entire studio and most other artists I know were lusting over this hard.

Though I work in animation, and most animators can't afford this lol

Swig_

Same, I was in when I saw the pics, until I learned that it was a built-in. Just give me a monitor with drawing capability like that, that I can plug into my desktop machine.

I recently thought to my self that my SP4 will be the last Windows machine I buy as I'm getting annoyed with the OS. This announcement is making me doubt my resolve though, lol. It looks pretty cool and looks awesome for art, I love my SP4 for drawing with the only downside being that screen is sometimes too small. The studio screen looks huge...

I'm not sold on the dial but it's a neat idea. I'm currently using an old PS Nav controller to replace missing buttons when using the SP4 when drawing, if I could use the thumbstick to replicate the dial functions that would be outstanding.

For on screen action, probably SP5? But for now, only SS allows for on screen magic.

Hmm. I hope Adobe updates Lightroom to use it. I would love to be able to use a physical dial to move some sliders.

I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

paskowitz

Same. My current system would run circles around the Studio performance wise. I would even buy it if the price was the same as the base model. Hell, I'd even buy it if the price was the same as the base model and I had to pay MS $100 a year. I just want that screen/hinge.

MutFox

Banned

That's my stance too...
Hope this concept gets adopted by other manufacturers.

Just left MS store. Surface Studio's digitizer grid must be much finer than Surface Book. The slow diaginal line jitter is much less on it than Surface Book!

Will post pics and video when I get home.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Went to check one out at the MS store but apparently they won't have them in Canada until next year :/

paskowitz

OMG if this is true... I just got off with Microsoft support...

asTQm7k.png

I will confirm over the phone tomorrow, as something tells me this is too good to be true. Can Display Port go both ways?

Regardless, I will be waiting for gen 2 with NVME SSD, Kaby Lake and Pascal.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
OMG if this is true... I just got off with Microsoft support...

asTQm7k.png

I will confirm over the phone tomorrow, as something tells me this is too good to be true.

LOL! This can't be true. Nobody does this... lies! Don't even bother asking and just assume it isn't true. It'll hurt less when the universe sends you the eventual message that your doubt was correct. I've (sadly) lived my life this way and I've been hurt very few times :(

paskowitz

LOL! This can't be true. Nobody does this... lies! Don't even bother asking and just assume it isn't true. It'll hurt less when the universe sends you the eventual message that your doubt was correct. I've (sadly) lived my life this way and I've been hurt very few times :(

I would never trust a "Ferdie" anyways.

Wonder if it will be stupid to just buy the cheapest version of this to use as a monitor / drawing tablet. I'm lusting after this thing super hard ugh

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wonder if it will be stupid to just buy the cheapest version of this to use as a monitor / drawing tablet. I'm lusting after this thing super hard ugh

It's an all in one though, you can't just use as a monitor :(

If I could use this with my current desktop I'd already have my Cintiq up for sale and pre-ordering this.

It's an all in one though, you can't just use as a monitor :(

If I could use this with my current desktop I'd already have my Cintiq up for sale and pre-ordering this.

The inability to use it as a monitor seems to be a concession to Wacom (who has been PC ODM partner since Cintiq Companion). That's also probably the reason why Surface Studio only has USB 3.0 ports instead of 3.1 or better yet, Thunderbolt USB-C ports. That would have allowed software connect as a monitor to any other PC (This is BTW how Wacom Mobile Studio Pro will be doing it via Wacom Link IMO).

aaaaa0

How tall is the Surface Studio when in it's upright position?

I'm not sure one will fit in the place I want to put it. :(

The specs tell you how big the screen is and how big the base is, but aren't clear how tall the entire machine is in total.

How tall is the Surface Studio when in it's upright position?

I'm not sure one will fit in the place I want to put it. :(

The specs tell you how big the screen is and how big the base is, but aren't clear how tall the entire machine is in total.

way taller than 27" iMac in its tallest position.

This reminds me of the Vaio LX. I wanted one so bad when it came out.

d9btN3K.jpg

I really hope this thing turns out great and gets into my price range in the next 5 years.

Man I forgot how cool looking and well-designed VAIO computers were. Their aesthetics were matched only by how overpriced they were for the actual specs inside.

dude

dude
You know, I didn't even think about that. I guess I didn't really notice.

Nice. That pressure levels comparison vid had me a bit worried though... Do you think this thing could replace a Cintiq for professional illustration/concept art? Lines seemed a little stiff in that video.

Video in wold be quite the gamechanger for the studio. Using the full power of your workstation at work or home while the all in one concept provides you the mobility to change the workplace easily.

But dunno if Microsoft wants that. The question would be how often we will see revisions of the device.

Dynasty

Watched those 4 videos, I feel like Studio is still 1 or 2 iterations away from being able to compete with Cintiq and othe Wacom devices. The Studio looks sexy as hell but I imagine the most important part for artists is how well the stylus works and Wacom is still ahead but things like the dial looks awesome and when/if MS catches up in the Stylus department they could take Wacom's lunch.

Nice. That pressure levels comparison vid had me a bit worried though... Do you think this thing could replace a Cintiq for professional illustration/concept art? Lines seemed a little stiff in that video.

Watched those 4 videos, I feel like Studio is still 1 or 2 iterations away from being able to compete with Cintiq and othe Wacom devices. The Studio looks sexy as hell but I imagine the most important part for artists is how well the stylus works and Wacom is still ahead but things like the dial looks awesome and when/if MS catches up in the Stylus department they could take Wacom's lunch.

N-Trig pens have always lagged behind Wacom in both Initial Activation Force and Pressure curve feel. It's now made worse with the new SP4/SB pen's rubbery default tips, which further kills pressure curve finesse.

The good news is, in all likelihood, current Surface devices and this thing all have USI 1.0 compliant touch panel, which would mean that you should be able to buy Wacom made multi frequency USI compliant gen 13 pen for them. It should theoretically also add tilt support as well. Wacom's gen 13 AES pens will have 4K levels of pressure and tilt capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom