• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

clav

This is incorrect. I just needed to find the Windows 10 Pro ISO instead of standard Windows 10 since I'm on Win 8.1 Pro.

What are you talking about?

Since Windows Vista, official ISOs contain every edition of the operating system unless stated otherwise (i.e. stripped/custom version).

I'll remember this from a talk that a MS rep gave on campus back in 2006.

There's no Windows 10 with Media Center (MC is dead and removed during the upgrade) and you can't activate a clean install of Windows 10 with your Windows 8 key. You have to upgrade from the OS. That's why they call it a free upgrade.

You might have to go through the upgrade process once first, but the FAQ on Microsoft's site makes it very clear that you can do a clean install from recovery media if you want.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq

Since Windows Vista, official ISOs contain every edition of the operating system unless stated otherwise (i.e. stripped/custom version).

Technically true, but there's an cfg file that will limit what versions the user can install.

clav

Technically true, but there's an cfg file that will limit what versions the user can install.

I think starting from Windows 8, setup determines the version according to the key used, so this should be a non-issue.

Only factor users need to know is whether setup is x86 or x64.

You might have to go through the upgrade process once first, but the FAQ on Microsoft's site makes it very clear that you can do a clean install from recovery media if you want.

I wonder if recovery media means recovery drive, a feature from Windows 8.

I don't see the words setup disk.

I think starting from Windows 8, setup determines the version according to the key used, so this should be a non-issue.

Well I think all you ever had to do was just delete the cfg file to get a universal installer, but it's still a thing. If you use the Microsoft provided downloader to get your Windows 8.1 media, you have to select exactly which version you want before you start, and you'll get an iso that will only let you install that particular version.

I'm not sure what happens if you go through the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option and use recovery media with another version of Windows 8.1 on it though...

clav

Well I think all you ever had to do was just delete the cfg file to get a universal installer, but it's still a thing. If you use the Microsoft provided downloader to get your Windows 8.1 media, you have to select exactly which version you want before you start, and you'll get an iso that will only let you install that particular version.

I'm not sure what happens if you go through the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option and use recovery media with another version of Windows 8.1 on it though...

Oh this new tool with Update 1. It wasn't like that before.

I think it's designed to accept all keys of Windows 8/8.1, so users don't have to do the upgrade dance for legacy Windows 8 users. Before, if you had a Windows 8 key and wanted to clean install to 8.1, you couldn't. Also, there was no media for 8.1.

Oh this new tool with Update 1. It wasn't like that before.

I think it's designed to accept all keys of Windows 8/8.1, so users don't have to do the upgrade dance for legacy Windows 8 users. Before, if you had a Windows 8 key and wanted to clean install to 8.1, you couldn't. Also, there was no media for 8.1.

It doesn't accept all keys. The downloader doesn't even ask you for your key - you select which version you want from a dropdown menu. If, when you come to install, your key doesn't match the version you downloaded, it won't let you continue.

clav

It doesn't accept all keys. The downloader doesn't even ask you for your key - you select which version you want from a dropdown menu. If, when you come to install, your key doesn't match the version you downloaded, it won't let you continue.

Before if you tried putting a Windows 8 key in 8.1 media, it wouldn't install.

This downloader is supposed to rectify that problem.

Before if you tried putting a Windows 8 key in 8.1 media, it wouldn't install.

This downloader is supposed to rectify that problem.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said 'all keys', I meant keys for different editions of Windows, not 8.1 and 8 versions. You're correct that the latest 8.1 installers will accept 8 keys of the appropriate edition.

To clarify: if you select 'Windows 8.1 Pro' from the downloader, you'll be able to use Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro keys just fine when you install it, but if you were to use a Windows 8.1 key (or a Windows 8 key) it would give you an error about the key not being valid for that version of the installer.

All I know is I have successfully installed Windows 10 using a Pro-labeled ISO whereas I could not using a standard x64 ISO. Worked flawlessly once I matched my ISO type to my key.

Wulfric

Dad managed to get that scam "virus scanner" stuff and Chromium on his Windows 7 laptop over the weekend. He said, "I don't know how that got there". >_>

He gave me the go ahead to wipe it and install Windows 10, but it looks like the preview is unavailable for download on PC. Can I use an older build/key and update from there?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Dad managed to get that scam "virus scanner" stuff and Chromium on his Windows 7 laptop over the weekend. He said, "I don't know how that got there". >_>

He gave me the go ahead to wipe it and install Windows 10, but it looks like the preview is unavailable for download on PC. Can I use an older build/key and update from there?
need to wait.

Anyone know how to keep Microsoft Edge from loading up previous session tabs? I accidentally misspelled YouTube and now I'm stuck with this annoying fake virus pop-up page every time I open it. Forced to use Cyberfox right now.

Anyone know how to keep Microsoft Edge from loading up previous session tabs? I accidentally misspelled YouTube and now I'm stuck with this annoying fake virus pop-up page every time I open it. Forced to use Cyberfox right now.

Should be able to click the 3 dots and go to settings.

image said:
Urcoyjx.jpg

Mine doesn't remember tabs from the last session.

Should be able to click the 3 dots and go to settings.

Mine doesn't remember tabs from the last session.
Unfortunately due to how annoying this page is it won't let me get far until the never ending pop-up dialog box starts up. Need to find a way to do this from outside Edge. Doesn't look like I have any options for that.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured out how to do it. Just had to go through task manager and to my app history tab. Then click on delete usage history. That did the trick.

dLMN8R

Is there not going to be a light theme for the general os?

There's an option in Settings to apply your chosen theme color to the taskbar and other areas instead of having those pieces of UI be black.

Search start for "accent color", and check out the option "show color on Start, taskbar, and action center"

Has anyone used Windows 10 on a mini tablet (7-8") device and have impressions or are there reviews of the OS on such devices?
I've used it on an HP Stream 7. Don't care for it to be honest. I think 10 is a big improvement on desktop but there's plenty of aspects in tablet usage that I feel is a step back from 8.1. But people have disagreed with me, so...

hadareud

The Translator
In its current form, it probably is a step back in tablet use, at least in some areas imo.

Edge needs a touch interface and gestures desperately, for one. Though I seem to remember that they acknowledged that, so I would expect that to be rectified at some stage.

I think the notification centre is not ideal compared to charms, so I would hope they have something in the works there too. At least add a clock to it.

I preferred the old, quick app switching to the new one. Though I think the new app switching interface is superior to the old one (which was also not intuitive to find, swip in and then a bit back etc.).

The taskbar is also not ideal in touch, even when hidden away.

That said, overall the OS is a better experience than W8 ever was. Seems to me that they didn't finish the touch optimisation in time and that it's still to follow - at least I hope so.

Drifters

Having used my SP3 since February in all forms of laptop/desktop replacement/tablet, I'd say Windows 10 is head and shoulders above where Windows 8.1 ever was. The reason, MS focused on consistency and that is what has paid off. Making the tablet portion of the "tablet" mode is what I think makes that mode shine. You basically get an "Android" like tablet experience but never lose the ability to use the full OS if you desired. This of course I think scales differently to people's devices and uses but on the SP3, everything just works.

hadareud

The Translator
My impression is very positive, especially since I managed to get it to block ads. There's still a bug or two so it occasionally crashes and/or does weird things, but in general it is very fast and the interface, for me, is superior to all the other big browsers. It manages RAM better than both FF and Chrome too, so far.

However, without extension support it cannot fully compete with FF or Chrome for me.

Once it has that and if the extensions I use most are there, I can't see myself not switching to it as my main browser as things stand.

I like Edge.

It says something that I'm using it to reply to this post instead of my usual Chrome.

Once they add extension support, I'll probably switch.

Does the free upgrade apply to International licenses too?

I am in India, am thinking of buying Windows 7 Pro for new PC assuming I can upgrade it to Windows 10 down the line before the year is up.

Raide

Has anyone used Windows 10 on a mini tablet (7-8") device and have impressions or are there reviews of the OS on such devices?

Currently running Windows 10 on my Venue 8 Pro tablet. Latest version is much better on the battery life and that was the only reason I did not upgrade sooner. Getting use to the tablet changes takes a little while since coming from Win 8 but using Win 10 on my main PC since late last years means the learning curve is way less terrifying.

Klocker

Got an email referencing the rollout saying in order to be sure of a smooth roll out, will be done in phases and AFTER July 29 it will be automatically downloaded.

Bastages

komplanen

Got an email referencing the rollout saying in order to be sure of a smooth roll out, will be done in phases and AFTER July 29 it will be automatically downloaded.

Bastages

Correct. It's been known for quite a while now that everyone won't get Windows 10 on the 29th.

Klocker

Correct. It's been known for quite a while now that everyone won't get Windows 10 on the 29th.

Well before it was a possibility to get on 29th but the email says definitively, after. I am an Insider (not on current builds) so maybe I'll get it 29 anyway.

But yea they're just covering their butts. Was just a bulk email.

Jesus Christ, something on GAF just made Edge throw up its intestines. Think it was this Calvin Klein (or something, was this clothing thing with a gray background) banner ad. Closed all the tabs, went somewhere else for a while, and it recovered, but HOLY CRAP that was intense. CPU usage spiking to 80, RAM at 90, total chaos.

Jesus Christ, something on GAF just made Edge throw up its intestines. Think it was this Calvin Klein (or something, was this clothing thing with a gray background) banner ad. Closed all the tabs, went somewhere else for a while, and it recovered, but HOLY CRAP that was intense. CPU usage spiking to 80, RAM at 90, total chaos.
Same thing happened on my end. Also ran into two ads with sound attached to them. So damn annoying.

Same thing happened on my end. Also ran into two ads with sound attached to them. So damn annoying.

I think that's the ad I was talking about.

Fun feature on Edge that I only just noticed: any tab with sound (be it ad, video, browser game, whatever) has a little speaker icon on it. No more frantically switching tabs to figure out what's talking!

Totakeke

Thanks for the impressions and link. I got a Vivotab Note 8 64GB to play around with. it'll arrive tomorrow and thinking of just throwing up Windows 10 on it straight away. Website annotation sounds like a cool idea but it's a bummer Edge isn't touch friendly, they're definitely missing the other part of making it note taking friendly. Don't feel like installing Windows 10 on my SP3 yet so I guess this new tablet will be a testbed of sorts.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mac users who are also trying out Win10:

How does the text look? I now use a mac for work and the text rendering is amazingly crisp, smooth, and readable.

How does Win10's compare?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Mac users who are also trying out Win10:

How does the text look? I now use a mac for work and the text rendering is amazingly crisp, smooth, and readable.

How does Win10's compare?
It's probably going to be similar to Windows 8.x. The fonts in Windows are fine, but there are some programs that do not scale well so they look bad.

terrible

Banned
There's one thing that's really annoying me on my tablet (T100) with Windows 10. Even though I have it set to not require a password when waking up from sleep it still randomly locks me out and asks for my password anyway. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue so it might just be a specific thing with my tablet.

That's my only complaint. It seems better than 8.1 in every way otherwise so far.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi everyone. Hoping I could get some help on migrating my OS's around.

I just bought a new machine with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. Apparently these don't come with product keys anymore? I bought an SSD, and I want a fresh install on it, removing all the bloatware.

1) How do I install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 to my SSD, using my "product key"?
2) Will I still be eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom