• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Blitzhex

These auto nvidia driver updates are such bullshit. The new driver failed installation today while I was afk and black screened/froze my computer. When I got back and rebooted it was somehow installed despite saying that installation failed in the windows update window and the fact that it black screen'd me prior to the restart.

Vanguard

The pre-load for Win10 is starting to roll out it seems, $Windows.~BT folder on my C drive is getting new files at the moment, I'm currently at about 4GB and another computer in this house is at 3GB and climbing.

clav

The pre-load for Win10 is starting to roll out it seems, $Windows.~BT folder on my C drive is getting new files at the moment, I'm currently at about 4GB and another computer in this house is at 3GB and climbing.

Yeah a simple check Windows Update will initiate the process.

I installed Windows on a clean drive a couple weeks ago and have activated it as well as downloaded every available Windows Update. The GWX icon still hasn't appeared. I DID fill out the form and everything before reinstalling, but since this is a new drive, I imagine I'll need to do that again...don't know how the computer would be able to request the download.

I've searched but it seems the only way to download GWX is to make sure your updates are up to date, and they are. Should I just be patient?

There have been updates almost everyday.

Each update has changed the revision number.

Now on version 10.0.10240.16405.

Hmm, I'm on 16385 and it says I'm all up to date. Despite being an Insider that's been on 10240 since the day it dropped for Insiders, I have the Windows BT folder on my C drive totally about 4GB.

Strange

Sarcasm

Try this Reddit thread if it isn't working. It's what everyone else in the other threads are using at the moment. I can't say if it will mess things up but people have reported some success.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3exx29/preload_windows_10_if_you_dont_have_the_folder/

Shit this worked, but against my will it didn't need to download.

Pc immediately shut off and is upgrading. I am not ready for this..

I thought it had to download!

Guess it already did and doing that command just made it go full auto.

Shadownet

Banned
Anyone has a problem where asking Cortana to play music, she would tell you that there are no music on your device?

Also I can't seem to ask her to play a specific artist, album or song.

Zabka

Anyone has a problem where asking Cortana to play music, she would tell you that there are no music on your device?

Also I can't seem to ask her to play a specific artist, album or song.
Have you opened the music app yet? It needs to scan your library (again if you had win 8).

MCD

dunno why but I have two weird issues:

windows update keep trying to install additional languages for my other keyboard? and it fails every time.

and the people's app stuck forever updating.

DarkFlow

Banned
Hmm, I'm on 16385 and it says I'm all up to date. Despite being an Insider that's been on 10240 since the day it dropped for Insiders, I have the Windows BT folder on my C drive totally about 4GB.

Strange

I'm on 16393, or at least I'm pretty sure I'm reading it right.
aCpZqX8.png

Sarcasm

I forgot how to make a USB loader from an ISO, can I just copy what is inside it onto a USB?

(I didn't have a USB at the time)

Asking here too:

I had been using Windows Insider on my SP3. I've been on Windows 10 build 10240 for the past week or two (whenever it was released), under the impression that this is the RTM build.

Like most people, I did an upgrade over W8.1, but with W10 releasing today, I wanted to start "fresh" and get the full, new experience while hopefully cleaning out any issues that may have arisen over the past month of new builds, upgrades, etc.

So I chose to Reset my PC. It prompted my SP3 to reboot, which it did, but now it's stuck in a loop. It reboots to an error screen that says to reference this error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

Everything I've read indicates I'm going to need to hopefully launch into a recovery mode and likely need to format the drive. However, I'm not sure where I should go from there--will I need to install Windows 8/8.1 on my SP3 and then upgrade to W10?

Shadownet

Banned
Have you opened the music app yet? It needs to scan your library (again if you had win 8).

You mean Groove? Yeah I opened it. Made sure there's music in the app. But if I ask Cortana "Play songs by Maroon 5." she would just pop up a web page search of what I asked instead of playing the song. If I ask her "Shuffle my music." She would respond "I'm sorry, there's no music on your device."

Lynn616

Does Groove Music go live today or is mine broken. My Groove app just shows my local library, nothing else at all. Where is the streaming option?

so my girlfriend was given a surface pro 1 from microsoft of all people, but it was never 'authorised' or verified or something (i forget the actual watermark that appears at the bottom). is there anything we can do to validate it and therefor get windows 10?

diaspora

Asking here too:

I had been using Windows Insider on my SP3. I've been on Windows 10 build 10240 for the past week or two (whenever it was released), under the impression that this is the RTM build.

Like most people, I did an upgrade over W8.1, but with W10 releasing today, I wanted to start "fresh" and get the full, new experience while hopefully cleaning out any issues that may have arisen over the past month of new builds, upgrades, etc.

So I chose to Reset my PC. It prompted my SP3 to reboot, which it did, but now it's stuck in a loop. It reboots to an error screen that says to reference this error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

Everything I've read indicates I'm going to need to hopefully launch into a recovery mode and likely need to format the drive. However, I'm not sure where I should go from there--will I need to install Windows 8/8.1 on my SP3 and then upgrade to W10?
Try booting off a W10 USB and "Repair".

iosefe

Hello, i experienced this error while attempting to update

Code:
0x8007002C - 0x4000D 
The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

Tell me there is a simple fix

Sarcasm

So how come when I type work the start menu open I only get Web suggestions?

I am typing names of applications that are installed on my pc. I never get the application I get suggestions that aren't close to it for Web pages.

clav

I am typing names of applications that are installed on my pc. I never get the application I get suggestions that aren't close to it for Web pages.

Did you just install it?

It takes a while for installed stuff to get indexed and appear on the search. Eventually they will show up blazing fast.

So, I've been an Insider and have installed all Windows Updates available to me. I'm on string 10240.16384.

I'm seeing it should be 164xx, no?

I also have the Windows BT folder for some reason....

Just wondering if I should hang tight for a couple days? I want to do a refresh and nuke my Windows.old once I know I'm on what's actually final.

clav

So, I've been an Insider and have installed all Windows Updates available to me. I'm on string 10240.16384.

I'm seeing it should be 164xx, no?

I also have the Windows BT folder for some reason....

Just wondering if I should hang tight for a couple days? I want to do a refresh and nuke my Windows.old once I know I'm on what's actually final.

Don't worry about it.

Did you stop being an insider?

anteevy

Just downloading the "Windows 10 Education" edition from Dreamspark. The key I get there is a standalone one, right? So, no need to upgrade my current 8.1 (also from Dreamspark)? I simply want a clean install and don't want to install Win10 twice in a row (first update to convert the key, then clean install). Not sure why I'm even asking as it seems obvious that it should work, but you never know...

Lynn616

Was using Insider builds since they started so I decided to do a clean install. Everything is running amazing after the clean install. Only thing that I did notice is that my start menu columns are now 3 wide. It was 4 on the insider builds. Anyone notice this?

dLMN8R

Was using Insider builds since they started so I decided to do a clean install. Everything is running amazing after the clean install. Only thing that I did notice is that my start menu columns are now 3 wide. It was 4 on the insider builds. Anyone notice this?

For now the 3-columns is by design. I don't know why it changed from 4 to 3 or why you can't change it back, but for now it least you can only have the 3-column groups.

I don't like it since I like using large tiles and this screws that up :-(

clav

For now the 3-columns is by design. I don't know why it changed from 4 to 3 or why you can't change it back, but for now it least you can only have the 3-column groups.

Yeah really frustrating as I can't fit two large tiles together.

This is a step backwards.

Lynn616

Thanks so much for responding. I just thought I messed something up when I did the clean install. I can live with it if it is by design and not my fuck up.

But why did I have 4 columns on build 10240 before and now on same build but clean install have 3 columns.

No big deal just asking.

Top Bottom