• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft clarifies whether or not there will be Scorpio exclusive Xbox games

spectator

VR 'doesn't count' for many, many reasons. It's disingenuous to say that VR should 'just work' on current-gen consoles. Neither of them was designed for it to begin with. Sony is shoehorning it onto their platform and MS is drawing a line in the sand. Two different approaches, both of which are not simply 'PLUG UR OCULUS INTO UR CONSOLE AND IT WORKS!!'

The problem, though, is that Microsoft simultaneously claimed 'no Scorpio exclusives' and that VR would be Scorpio-only. That, not surprisingly, probably confused a lot of people.

def sim

VR being exclusive was a given but it not being seen as "console gaming"...come on. You wanted to play the "no one gets left behind" card but this is a ridiculous loophole.

Right, they should have said it plainly instead of pulling that line. They need to turn off their marketing speak for questions like these.

gamz

The problem, though, is that Microsoft simultaneously claimed 'no Scorpio exclusives' and that VR would be Scorpio-only. That, not surprisingly, probably confused a lot of people.

I think if you use your common sense and know that VR is not going to be on the older models it's not hard to figure out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
VR has been so confusing in the console space. Has Microsoft announced their VR solution? I thought I read a while back that they would support Oculus, but I haven't been following it that closely.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They have to have exclusive games sooner or later, right? They can't let their games be hold back by the launch Xbox One forever.

EGM1966

That's a clarification?

Anyway it's clear at minimum Scorpio will get VR content that won't be available elsewhere.

I'll eat my hat if they don't give Scorpio exclusive content the second it suits them even if it's just some VR titles.

Both Spencer and Greenberg are PR'ing around it trying to make each sound possible.

spectator

I think if you use your common sense and know that VR is not going to be on the older models it's not hard to figure out.

What may be "common sense" to you, may not be to someone who hasn't studied the hardware requirements for VR. Microsoft's statement implied that Scorpio VR titles would be playable on Xbox One, as well.

Sure. I get that it was confusing for like, a minute, when there were no stakes @ all. Nobody wasted money by not buying the non-existent Scorpio (?).

In either case, if you think Sony will allow VR games to be dragged down by the PS4 forever I got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you. BOTH of these companies will draw their respective lines in the sand at some point. MS is just doing it before Sony.

blakep267

I get why they clarified. Common sense says of course you can't use an oculus or a vive with a standard Xbox. But since there's bound to be that small group of people that go out and buy an oculus thinking that since the Scorpio is still an Xbox it will work on a xb1.

Toki767

VR games isn't console gaming?

How are we supposed to play these VR games on the Scorpio? Not by plugging it into and using a console, surely.

They just really should've worded things better from the start.

icespide

Banned
They have to have exclusive games sooner or later, right? They can't let their games be hold back by the launch Xbox One forever.

I would imagine Xbox One loses support at some point, but by this time there would already be a successor to the Scorpio which all games would support. In this way, there would never truly be exclusive Scorpio games

ReBurn

Gold Member

It'll eventually become like PC gaming where eventually you have to upgrade to play with any quality at all. I'd be surprised if "forward compatibility" extends beyond one iteration of hardware.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Now, that space, we don't think of that as console gaming, we think of that as high-fidelity VR, and so with the VR experiences those will be new things that you will get on Project Scorpio."

Oh fuck off. Semantic bullshittery like this is exactly why Microsoft has the reputation it does currently.

At the very least this is clear "don't buy an Xbox until Scorpio" signal flare.

This response either means that xbone will also be compatible with rift/vive but it will suck (highly unlikely), or that VR games will allowed to be exclusive to Scorpio but they don't want to say that out loud for obvious reasons.

gamz

What may be "common sense" to you, may not be to someone who hasn't studied the hardware requirements for VR. Microsoft's statement implied that Scorpio VR titles would be playable on Xbox One, as well.

MS has never said VR will be part of the older models. So why would there be VR games on Xbox One S. That doesn't make sense and why in the world would you think that?

VR has been so confusing in the console space. Has Microsoft announced their VR solution? I thought I read a while back that they would support Oculus, but I haven't been following it that closely.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Microsoft themselves weren't going to make any VR exclusive games and leave that up to third party devs. As for the actual headset, who knows.

Madchad

MS will whiff and there will be scorpio exclusive games. Just my prediction.

Ofc it will have exclusive games and its a damn smart move of these PR people to use the whole "VR games" will be exclusive line. Why? you might ask... Well all a dev has to do is let you have the ability to at some point put on a VR headset even for 5min so MS can tout the VR compatible line and boom Scorpio exclusives.

They will need to have something there other than VR to shift units.

Guevara

There's a way to say this that sounds positive:

"Xbox One/S will play the same games but can't do VR
Scorpio can
If you care about VR, buy a Scorpio
If you don't, be happy with your Xbox One and/or buy an S"

JaggedSac

Not sure if you guys saying this truly understand microsoft or if you have been around them since original Xbox.
But this situation isn't going to last long.

Not sure why you belive them nor do I know why they are saying it. Wouldn't even be surprised if they already have exclusive games planned for Scorpio honestly. They are obviously scared to say it right now if true

But they want you and many more on Scorpio and pc, they'd definitely like away from Xbox one completely imo

Devs will pay want to scale up not down too over time and microsoft has the biggest power gap

Would you bet your life on it that they won't? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Vr is irrelevant to this, Can't believe you guys belive thier horse shit poker face.

Of course, I don't think anyone reasonably expects support for Bone until the end of time.

What's the problem? Companies lie or save face all the time.

I'm fine with Scorpio exclusive games as I don't want the game and devs to worry about little power junior one. But microsoft doesn't want back last.

I do understand why they aren't touting thier exclusives which I believe are coming to Scorpio but they need to give time to people to be more easily accepting of the ideas after they have sold millions of scorpion the idea will not only be there but far more acceptable as people, more and more could care less about one just like they do new 360 games today

pastrami

So many words just to avoid saying "There will be Scorpio exclusive games." There's something to be said for concise responses, or lack thereof.

MilkyJoe

That's a clarification?

Anyway it's clear at minimum Scorpio will get VR content that won't be available elsewhere.

I'll eat my hat if they don't give Scorpio exclusive content the second it suits them even if it's just some VR titles.

Both Spencer and Greenberg are PR'ing around it trying to make each sound possible.

Xbone S to peddle?

If anyone thinks MS are beating around the bush refer to this gif

bro.gif

people still pretending to be confused.. Oy vey...

SRTtoZ

I think you'd be silly to think that there will never be Scorpio exclusive games down the line but its smart for MS to say no for now so people keep buying XB1's and S's. If I was a Scorpio owner I would want them to break free of the weak ass XB1 hardware at some point so we could get bigger/better games.

I don't see anything confusing here. They are implying saying the same as 6 and 6S Ipones are the same family but they have external stuff that's not part of their core that won't work on both. However those specifically designed for the hardware would work on both.

Basically the same, as another example, as saying that Kinect and an Xbox One extra Controller or a headset is not the same thing. The latter two would be part of the console ecosystem, Kinect would be an accessory. So when VR works better with Scorpio it's it's own thing like Kinect not really a direct part of the family ecosystem that an Extra controller, XBLX, Headsets etc. Would be. VR is separate.

It's like how we basically consider the Sega CD a different console or an add-on not directly related to the genesis but the 32X kind of is considered that. Or something like say an extra controller.

I think they should steadily unlock whatever cores are needed every year on the system so it has a gradual uplift in game quality to keep that unison.

Maybe that's stupid in practice but it's the only way to keep this parity that they are so scared of doing. But I do see the off hand issue to that is, technology upgrades every year and doing that might not even be worth it when it's value depreciates on release and daily.

Chobel

Sure. I get that it was confusing for like, a minute, when there were no stakes @ all. Nobody wasted money by not buying the non-existent Scorpio (?).

In either case, if you think Sony will allow VR games to be dragged down by the PS4 forever I got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell you. BOTH of these companies will draw their respective lines in the sand at some point. MS is just doing it before Sony.

Eh, Sony VR will be dragged by PS4 until PS5 so don't expect Neo to have VR exclusive games, so basically forever*.

*End of generation.

Guymelef

It's confusing again because now (again) suddenly Scorpio won't have exclusive software (VR aside) If you asked people yesterday about Neo vs Scorpio there is a common opinion that Scorpio is a new gen.

SRTtoZ

I mean yea I'd hope they would drop support at some point so I can get the highest quality uncompressed pixels without older hardware holding it back.

cakely

I got this one guys:

"VR games aren't console games, so VR games aren't console games exclusive to the Xbox Scorpio. Therefore, there won't be any Scorpio exclusive Xbox games."

Your invoice is in the mail.

spectator

MS has never said VR will be part of the older models. So why would there be VR games on Xbox One S. That doesn't make sense and why in the world would you think that?

Microsoft said that there will be no Scorpio-only Xbox titles. They also said that VR will be coming to Scorpio. Thus, it is implied that VR titles will be compatible with non-Scorpio Xboxes.

Well, if Mr. Greenberg sais so it must be true...

But seriously, MS might have as well announced Scorpio exclusives at some point...

It just feels like they're really tiptoeing around this because they don't want to piss off current XB1 owners, which does make sense but if a developer out there wants to create a game that simply won't run on older hardware...are you really going to say no? It doesn't make sense to say no.

Of course, I don't think anyone reasonably expects support for Bone until the end of time.
But people do belive what thier saying. Three years is probably well over generous on my part. I'll be bold and day a Scorpio only, non vr title within 16 months. Perhaps even launch day or year one but I'm not sure how bold ms is.

I can already see the pr excuse train rolling in.

When we really got going on Scorpio we realized it was so great , the second coming of games and getting the game up and running on one was near impossible. So, we decided to put all our efforts into the Scorpio version and not duping the quality of a port.

But I'm fine with it as I'll be on Scorpio, neo, sub zero, whatever they have released

Top Bottom