• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft clarifies whether or not there will be Scorpio exclusive Xbox games

MilkyJoe

Microsoft said that there will be no Scorpio-only Xbox titles. They also said that VR will be coming to Scorpio. Thus, it is implied that VR titles will be compatible with non-Scorpio Xboxes.

I assume this is a joke post, but the playing dumb with anything Scorpio related narrative, makes me question my sarcasm detector.

Now explain to me how playing VR games on the Scorpio doesn't count as console gaming.

Maybe they see VR as a separate platform. Maybe even MS allows the Oculus and Vive storefronts on the Scorpio. If that's the case, there won't be any Scorpio exclusive "Xbox" games.

jrcbandit

I think anyone who isn't being disingenuous knows that it takes a lot of compute power to do high-fidelity VR.

That as much makes sense. So, I'm okay with Scorpio-exclusive VR games. In fact, I'd rather Neo be the base platform for VR in the Sony camp. I don't want either platform being dragged down by their underpowered progenitors.

That's one reason I cancelled my PSVR pre-order. It will be held back too much by the limitations of the PS4, and I have a feeling that most initial VR games will be like Kinect - really fun at first to play but then quickly become old/collects dust because it is mostly tech demos/gimmicks/limited gameplay. I've played with my GearVR twice, not sure if I will use it much more lol.

Toki767

It's an external add-on with it's own library of games. Like Kinect. It's not the same as a controller or XBL of games made for the core Xbox family with the same code running on each machine in the family.

Ok...but I'd say to the general public, you put a game inside a console and play it. That's console gaming. Doesn't matter if an accessory is required.

That's still console gaming.

Yes. Which nobody cares about. It's when Halo 6 or Gears start ending up becoming exclusive to Scorpio that people will rage.
It won't be many anyways, as people will hunker down and want or just get Scorpio anyways.

That's all ms is waiting for, numbers

Will get harder to have games on both for many devs and have them truly, fully optimized. If Scorpio was really just 4k I think that would hurt it's performance a bit too much to differentiate a definite jump in visuals as well.

Ok...but I'd say to the general public, you put a game inside a console and play it. That's console gaming. Doesn't matter if an accessory is required.

That's still console gaming.

How many games were those Kinect casuals buying when Kinect was popular outside of Kinect?

icespide

Banned
"I'm still baffled that they didn't announce a new console a year ago when the Xbox One S went on sale. They're going to get so much PR shit for not revealing that. They tricked people into buying a One S only to reveal a new console months later!"

or just skip the S entirely

shandy706

What are some people having trouble understanding?

Just being dense?

VR games need more power. They may make VR games for Scorpio that wouldn't run on the Xbox One.

Regular games (that aren't VR) will work across all their hardware. There's nothing confusing to me when I read it.

VanWinkle

Just being dense?

VR games need more power. They may make VR games for Scorpio that wouldn't run on the Xbox One.

Regular games (that aren't VR) will work across all their hardware. There's nothing confusing to me when I read it.

I think it's more that people are just saying it's a terrible convoluted way to say something that only needs a simple answer. Greenberg can't even say that VR-only games will ONLY work on Scorpio.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So as long as they don't call them "games" they can release exclusive games on Scorpio?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are they still having a problem 'clarifying' everything about this procedure?

It should be obvious by now without clarification

spectator

I assume this is a joke post, but the playing dumb with anything Scorpio related narrative, makes me question my sarcasm detector.

Not a joke, nor should it be difficult to understand. Microsoft made two statements that contradicted each other. That's why they're being asked to clarify now.

Toki767

Just being dense?

We all know what he means.

But it took him 8 sentences to present some stupid logic when he could have made it crystal clear in 1 or 2 sentences.

AmyS

For me it's simple -- I'll just buy Scorpio when it comes out and not have to worry about which Xbox branded games I'll be able to play.

People are still confused by this? It's pretty clearly stated. Regular games will be supported by both systems. VR will be Scorpio exclusive. Read slowly.

That's exactly why they are not outright saying it. Even on a gaming forum where people are expected to be in the known there's confusion. Expecting the average gamer to be sensible about how VR requires more hardware than xbone can handle (without a solution made specifically for it at least) and that Ms assuming VR games won't run on xbone does not mean the console is dead would not be a good strategy.

Right now they need to sugar coat it, and then when Scorpio arrives show that except for vr which xbone can't handle there will be no software made just for scorpio.

Though part of me still thinks they will just expand that to VR games and let developers have really low quality VR on xbone just to mark that checkbox

Microsoft isn't playing the sales numbers game so how should I know.

Uh what?

The kinect on the 360 numbers are quite clear, 25 million or so sold, most of the games purchased that period being kinect. Those people vanished, very few if any of those were buying 360 games.

There's no confusion or spin VR is a separate thing. The general consumer also seems to see that.

Crayon

Hedging. If the Scorpio somehow revives xbox, they'll have Scorpio exclusive non-vr games with no fucks given.

jelly

Non answer.

There will probably be exclusive Scorpio games that aren't VR and that is honestly okay. I don't think Microsoft will cut off support anytime soon but say Halo 7 will be Scorpio only while Halo 6 will be Xbox One and Scorpio.

GameSeeker

how to "clarify" in the most confusing, roundabout and potentially misleading way.

Clear as mud as usual.

Hedging. If the Scorpio somehow revives xbox, they'll have Scorpio exclusive non-vr games with no fucks given.

I think it's obvious Microsoft wants to drop Xbox One and S as quickly as possible and focus everything on Scorpio. They will pay lip service to the old generation for PR's sake, so the customers don't revolt.

icespide

Banned
I think it's obvious Microsoft wants to drop Xbox One and S as quickly as possible and focus everything on Scorpio. They will pay lip service to the old generation for PR's sake, so the customers don't revolt.
how is that obvious? they've done nothing but speak to the idea of "no one gets left behind"

Not until much further down the road, if ever. If regular xbox ones are dirt cheap at that point and are still selling, i dont see them cutting that support. It isnt that much more complicated than it is on PC now to make multiple versions of a game. At that point they should just continue and wait for xbox 4 to just "cut the ties".

Journey

Banned
Here we go again

What do you mean? it was clear to me from the get-go. Occulous Rift is more of a platform than an accessory. Originally a platform that would only work on a PC, but may now also work on Scorpio (since it's strong enough) which is very welcome.

Just being dense?

It's not confusing in the short term, but take the strategy to its logical conclusion and you end up with a growing family of devices where the weakest ones inevitably get phased out first, ala iPhone etc, and I don't see anything wrong with that, the only alternative is that support for them would end simultaneously.
I'm thinking further into the future than the average owner should care about tbh.

Tagyhag

If that's all people can expect, is that enough to sell them on a new console? As someone who is invested in 4k, getting my games at a higher resolution matters to me, but given that you've seen people on this very forum argue that they can't tell the different between 720p-1080p or 30fps-60fps, what's in it for them? If games sell consoles, and all the games are the same to many people, what will move these consoles?

That's going to be Microsoft's job to really hype up 4K or 60fps to the average consumer.

Which is ironic because this gen was pretty much downplaying what difference resolution and framerate makes.

MilkyJoe

Just being dense?

There's nothing confusing, since the Scorpio reveal there have been people that would rather appear stupid than.. well what ever the agenda is... fucked if I know it's all out there.

Regard;

Microsoft said that there will be no Scorpio-only Xbox titles. They also said that VR will be coming to Scorpio. Thus, it is implied that VR titles will be compatible with non-Scorpio Xboxes.

Not a joke, nor should it be difficult to understand. Microsoft made two statements that contradicted each other. That's why they're being asked to clarify now.

What they speak and what they do are not always the same thing.

VR is a platform, not an Xbox one accessory. If they even end up supporting it, it will be an Oculus or Hive headset, which isnt even their tech. I dunno how people can expect those games to work on an xbox one when it doesnt even work on xbox one right now.

I guess this things success is gonna boil down to how much of an improvement current gen games will be on Scorpio and if the Scorpio premium (over the cost of XB1) makes it worthwhile. I know games will perform better, but most games aren't not going to be able to make full use of all that extra power, are they?

Because it doesn't give them much of a sales boost anyway when no one buys it because everybody knows there's a vastly superior replacement coming just a year later.

People care about immediacy, when they see a new shiny cheap xbone on the shelves they are going to buy it, and the S is a more attractive product compared to regular xbone, so the sales potential are higher.

Heck I have friends that want to get a S now for 4k and higher framerates even though they also plan to get scorpio...

Anyway, my point is: releasing the S for sure isn't going to make the sales go down, so why not enjoy the spike however small?

SOR5

miscellaneous-nit-nit_picking-nit_pickers-competitions-championship-bstn880_low.jpg

I miss you Rik x

I'm in the cupboaaaard!

But VR would have to be exclusive by design since neither Xbox one or the S can run VR games.

Why is this a problem or confusing?

Because some want it to be. Is anyone confused that some PSVR games won't work on your PS4 unless you buy the PSVR headset and camera?

Because it doesn't give them much of a sales boost anyway when no one buys it because everybody knows there's a vastly superior replacement coming just a year later.

Nobody is going to be buying the current vanilla PS4 because we all know the PS4 NEO will be out in less than a year? Now that is confusing.

Exclusive in this sense means the game is playable on Scorpio but not XB1.

I feel like that should be a no brainer for everybody that frequents gaming forums. We've spent the last 3 years mocking the Xbox One for being weak but it not supporting a VR platform where the best framerate and resolution are required has people confused for some reason.

icespide

Banned
People care about immediacy, when they see a new shiny cheap xbone on the shelves they are going to buy it, and the S is a more attractive product compared to regular xbone, so the sales potential are higher.

Heck I have friends that want to get a S now for 4k and higher framerates even though they also plan to get scorpio...

Anyway, my point is: releasing the S for sure isn't going to make the sales go down, so why not enjoy the spike however small?

my original point in the convo you responded to had nothing to do with the S, I was merely saying I was baffled that they announced the Scorpio over a year before release then someone tried to flip it on me with a totally different issue

Mooreberg

The premise is clear enough. They just need to whittle the wording down to two sentences: "Xbox games work on both platforms. VR games are for enthusiasts and will require the new hardware and a headset."

The more they try to clarify what was said at E3, the less clear the messaging is.

Top Bottom