• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Sounds like they are going to just talk about the final dev kits. The smallish update to the GPU speed seems like one of the things they are going to talk about.

Good news if true.

The driver thing seems a bit strange though.

"Is our driver as good as it can be?"
"Nah, nowhere close"
"Ok, lets do a good one then"
"Yeah fair enough"

Announcing an upgrade when you haven't announced your specs in the first place? lol

Except.... That's not what's happening at all???

They said explicitly that they went from 800 to 852 or whatever. Please explain what's logically off about the statement.

Its also good they're doing these things before they ship the console. For all the criticism they have been getting, at least they were proactive about it.

that's my point, I'd rather see them fixing these DRM, specs, indies, etc.. things than sticking to their initial idea and release a system that many people would discard by default due to these issues.

nib95

Banned
I'll take any speed or hardware bump I can get. But God at Game Informer for parroting DF's 7790 comparison. They keep regurgitating DF's crap, same with the ram split thing too. Completely illogical comparison.

Xbox One GPU. 1.23Tflops. (1.3 Tflops if this speed bump is true)

768 Shaders
48 Texture Units
16 Render Units
12 CU's

7790. 1.79Tflops.

896 Shaders
56 Texture Units
16 Render Units
14 CU's

A much closer comparison is to the 7770, which is 1.28Tflops.

FDC1

Surprised they're still tweaking the machine, we're already in August.

How much this change does impact heating?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good news if true.

The driver thing seems a bit strange though.

"Is our driver as good as it can be?"
"Nah, nowhere close"
"Ok, lets do a good one then"
"Yeah fair enough"

Not that strange. Drivers typically start out conservative and improve a lot as new dev kits arrive.

amardilo

Neat, being closer to PS4 is better for everyone, though there's still a hefty gap, right?

I was thinking roughly the sane thing. The more of that gap that MS can narrow down the better it will be for games in general (3rd party devs get that little extra) but the gap between the PS4 and the Xbox One is still pretty big and Sony has some really great 1st party studios who could really get the most out of it.

53Mhz is not worthy of an announcement.

Point and laugh at Microsoft.

I think this is good news overall, but this is pretty obviously part of their 'PR strategy.'

I mean, be it OXM's fluff pieces, or Major Nelson's sharing of information, they're basically sharing out bite-sized goodies of information day-after-day, as inconsequential or boring some of these are. They're trying to drown away all their bad image by being showcasing positive aspects of the Xbox One daily.

It's a 'good strategy', but it's also a very insular strategy. It's kind of 'self-reassuring', and doesn't have the impact 'oomph' needed to really sway away consumers. Also, too much of these kind of news gives an impression that there's very little 'meat' behind their pushes.

They really need to have a mind-blowing showing at Gamescom, otherwise this all will backfire on them.

BigDug13

Man..there will always be the lingering "what if" questions on the back of our minds. If team had focused on providing raw power what would we have gotten instead?

We would have yet again had the most powerful console. Sony has never had the most raw power, especially since MS entered the game. And now that MS specifically aimed lower, that's turned a lot of people off, especially at their higher price point. At the same time, Cerny's team seems to have pushed the raw power angle more than they ever have before.

Thrakier

Is 53mhz a lot?

It's almost nothing. For comparison, my 660TI is overclocked up to 1300mhz from I think standard 1050/1100mhz. The difference is tiny, like 5frames at best. 53mhz are barely noticable and if that's something they need to announce, they probably are very desperate.

bill0527

Why does it feel like they're still trying to cobble this thing together?

Everything about Xbox One feels like its been thrown together at the last minute. Like they haven't been prepared for anything. Seems awful late in the game to be doing this stuff when they are supposed to launch now in less than 4 months.

toff74

I'm sure this was released as good news Gaf.. Yet reading this thread it seems like they've done a bad thing or at least nothing worthwhile.

An increase in GPU clock speed is an increase in GPU clock speed no matter how you spin it. Its something POSITIVE.

One more time.. Its an increase in clock speed and it IS good news.

Reckon if you asked Cerny if he'd like a GPU clock speed increase in the PS4 he's go 'Nah! whats the point?!'

Poor Vegeta, no matter how much he tries he will never surpass Goku.

Majin_Vegeta_by_Freakazoid999.gif

Majanew

Banned
I'll take any speed or hardware bump I can get. But God at Game Informer for parroting DF's 7790 comparison. Completely illogical comparison.

Xbox One GPU. 1.23Tflops. (1.3 Tflops if these speed bump is true)

768 Shaders
48 Texture Units
16 Render Units
12 CU's

7790. 1.79Tflops.

896 Shaders
56 Texture Units
16 Render Units
14 CU's

A much closer comparison is to the 7770, which is 1.28Tflops.
And 7770's specs
640 Shaders
40 Texture Units
16 Render Units
10 CU's

So, Xbox One's GPU is a little better than the 7770. The 7770 is clocked at 1GHz, that's why the TFLOPS is outperforming Xbox One's. Ah, you edited the last part out.

That's why Xbox One getting a bump of 53MHz will push it above a 1GHz 7770's 1.28 TFLOPS.

user1337

lol Nib

I swear that has been posted by you like 2-3 times now in other threads :D

Not arguing wiht it though, cause I agree lol.

#secretsauce boost.
Sorry Kaz, games up.
If you multiply 53MHZ by the infinite power of the cloud+the hidden wizard jizz super ram@192 jiggawatts. Thats alot of #secretsauce.

Sorry, couldnt resist MS PR speech :)
Cant wait for Leadbetter to annouce on DF how this kicks the Titan in the balls this evening. or, how the PS4 will lose next gen now (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom