• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

A 6.6% increase is not going to make a big difference, but the more interesting part for me is that MS is releasing a podcast to tell us about it. This is all part of the marketing and presentation and since Mattrick left it has been MUCH better. It's clear that they've identified their weak points and then thought about what information they needed to put out there to win people around. Personally I don't think they've made any big system or policy changes apart from scrapping the DRM, it's all been a question of presentation. But they're definitely managing to turn things around.

nib95

Banned
And 7770's specs
640 Shaders
40 Texture Units
16 Render Units
10 CU's

So, Xbox One's GPU is a little better than the 7770. The 7770 is clocked at 1GHz, that's why the TFLOPS is outperforming Xbox One's. Ah, you edited the last part out.

Yes, similar to the PS4s comparison to the 7850. The PS4s GPU also has more specs across the board and a higher Tflop count (by 800 Flops), but we still compare it to that card because it's the closest example. Comparing it to a 7870 would be unfair and slightly disingenuous, similar to comparing the XO's gpu to a 7790.

A 6.6% increase is not going to make a big difference, but the more interesting part for me is that MS is releasing a podcast to tell us about it. This is all part of the marketing and presentation and since Mattrick left it has been MUCH better. It's clear that they've identified their weak points and then thought about what information they needed to put out there to win people around. Personally I don't think they've made any big system or policy changes apart from scrapping the DRM, it's all been a question of presentation. But they're definitely managing to turn things around.
it's new genuine microsoft.

Bundy

Banned
SONY will announce an upgrade, too.
Up to 854MHz, just to 1up Microsoft again :p
(I know, I know -> The PS4 GPU is still around 50% stronger)

Striek

Indeed. I was skeptical but they're definitely doing a lot better than they were on the marketing front. Also it helps that (most) people are at least willing to listen after the DRM reversal. That was a brickwall for them. No one cared what they said if the system ultimately had that terrible DRM.

ekim

Good news but it seems like a weird thing to announce.

GameInformer worded it poorly imho. Marc Whitten drops the upclock in the MajorNelson podcast. You can call that an announcement but from the title of the article one would expect a press release or something.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think this is better for multiplatform games. If the Xbox One doesn't lag behind too much I guess everyone benefits. I doubt the clock increase is significant enough to provide a big boost in performance, but at this stage every single bit matters. It's interesting to note that Microsoft never announced the system's GPU specs and in a way this confirms that the rumours were in fact correct.

Majanew

Banned
Yes, similar to the PS4s comparison to the 7850. The PS4s GPU also has more specs across the board and a higher Tflop count (by 800 Flops), but we still compare it to that card because it's the closest example. Comparing it to a 7870 would be unfair and slightly disingenuous, similar to comparing the XO's gpu to a 7790.

You should just add the 7770's specs to your copy and paste so others can see the comparison of the 7770 and XB1 GPU. :p

KiNeSiS

Banned
I pity the fool who buys a launch XB1 (or an XB1 at all until they remove manditory kinnect)

so its M$ 853 mhz gpu vs Sony 800 mhz? Why are people sayings Sony's is still better then?

Raist

Banned
Are they gonna stop finding holes in RAM and hidden MHz and start producing the thing at some point? I mean it's launching in 3 months supposedly.

5 percent oc and they "optimimimimised the drivers" more smoke to blow up people's asses to damage control the weak hardware:p

Oh well, any increase in the baseline is better than nothing , I guess.

Interfectum

People are acting as if MS is holding a press conference on the upgrade. I don't see anything wrong with announcing an upgrade over a podcast. Some of the MS haters need to start picking their battles as it's getting annoying to read all this negative shit.

Thrakier

I pity the fool who buys a launch XB1 (or an XB1 at all until they remove manditory kinnect)

so its M$ 853 mhz gpu vs Sony 800 mhz? Why are people sayings Sony's is still better then?

Because the GPU itself is better. Clockspeed isn't everything.

Ricker

Still on the drawing board...? wth,like someone said earlier,isn't this thing coming out in like 3 months and a half..?...do they have a huge factory ready to start making these things hehe...

pixlexic

Banned
I can't wait to actually see games running on these new consoles. Seems loke there has been a total lack if games coverage for them both. launch is only 3 months the away.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Indeed. I was skeptical but they're definitely doing a lot better than they were on the marketing front. Also it helps that (most) people are at least willing to listen after the DRM reversal. That was a brickwall for them. No one cared what they said if the system ultimately had that terrible DRM.

DRM sucks but why do people like steam so much when they utilize DRM. It's a horrid double standard.

JaggedSac

From http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869:

I've heard the exact same thing as Thuway.

GPU is getting DC from 2 different sources. One that told me several weeks ago and the other that reconfirmed yesterday.

I am not trying to bring out the MS Defense Force at me, but I've heard GPU clocks might be downgraded. 8-900 gigaflops for gaming. The APU is big. This isn't 100% confirmed though and is being done to improve yields.

CBoat do you mind adding anything?

Hmm, I've been hearing some of this myself. It'll be hilarious if MS tries to sell a more expensive gaming machine with 1/2 of the perf. Knowing people's buying habits, they still might beat Sony on the market though. :/

Shit be changing over there, or your sources are poop.

marvin83

Banned
So... Console releases in 3 months and change and they're still tweaking this thing? This seems a little weird getting so close to launch.

Are they gonna rush it like they did with the X360 and have an RRoD 2.0 on their hands?

BigDug13

DRM sucks but why do people like steam so much when they utilize DRM. It's a horrid double standard.

God, please don't bring this back. Steam has offline mode. XBO originally did not. Steam lets a military member play their games through a 6 month deployment offline. XBO originally did not. The end.

Dinjooh

r2VK0ZG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom