• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Can someone who knows explain how they arrived at such an odd number?? I mean a 53 ghz increase sounds like they were creeping the thing up bit by bit till it broke, then moved down 1ghz.

Does this mean the thing was not in production yet until these changes? I guess they can patch it in since it requires an internet connection to make it work.(there will be many uninformed consumers who have a crappy christmas morning due to this...cause people are dumb)

Part of me thinks they are just trying to pull positive PR out of their asses as well.

5+3=8

Turn 90˚

∞

Infinite power of the cloud.

It all makes sense now.

Hystzen

Are they just making this up as go along geez would not r shocked when you open the box you have to assemble to console yourself Ikea style

Or just maybe they never announced anything because that part of the hardware was still being tweaked and optimized. The closer you finalize to launch, the better you will understand what the machines can do and where the future of gaming tech will go.

They basically said, "Specs don't matter." and suddenly they are talking about upgrading.

If they didn't matter they wouldn't talk about it.

This is good news for everyone but just another example of confused messaging.

They basically said, "Specs don't matter." and suddenly they are talking about upgrading.

If they didn't matter they wouldn't talk about it.

This is good news for everyone but just another example of confused messaging.

To be fair,the "Specs don't matter." news happened before Mattrick leave

GameSeeker

Well, this is still rumor, so we will have to wait for more details.

A 53MHz clock increase is a fairly small (6.6%) increase. Every little bit of performance helps and this extra clock increase will help offset the performance losses of running a hypervisor.

Good news. Wonder if this moves the Xbox One to a targeted 9 year device instead of 10!

If only Gamespot didn't make such a shitty article title. This should be good news but it'll be twisted as usual. It's not really an announcement, but it's a positive for the Xbone.

Mono driver sounds good

tumblr_l4w42ybbzt1qc6ikaef.jpg

I hope I wasn't the only one who had a Simpson flashback.

c0de

Good news. Wonder if this moves the Xbox One to a targeted 9 year device instead of 10!

If only Gamespot didn't make such a shitty article title. This should be good news but it'll be twisted as usual. It's not really an announcement, but it's a positive for the Xbone.

This is where the problem begins.

"omg xboner lol stahp tryin M$"

That about sums up a majority of this thread.

I would much rather have the consoles closer to each other as to not bring down the lowest common denominator for multiplatform games.

It's a small step, but at least it's in the right direction.

Seanspeed

Banned
Are they just making this up as go along geez would not r shocked when you open the box you have to assemble to console yourself Ikea style
What? :/

Its a boost in the processing power for graphics. Do you not understand what that means or something?

How are people turning this into a negative?

Can someone who knows explain how they arrived at such an odd number?? I mean a 53 ghz increase sounds like they were creeping the thing up bit by bit till it broke, then moved down 1ghz.

Does this mean the thing was not in production yet until these changes? I guess they can patch it in since it requires an internet connection to make it work.(there will be many uninformed consumers who have a crappy christmas morning due to this...cause people are dumb)

Part of me thinks they are just trying to pull positive PR out of their asses as well.

1.3 TF is nicer to read, write and say than 1.23 TF.

mavs

Is this hardware going to be rock solid in reliability? It seems like they haven't even finalized the thing yet and we have 3 months.

Seems like the reason it was clocked so low was their 10-year lifespan goal, which they don't really have a good way of evaluating. Going ultra-safe on the physical demands on the hardware is really the only thing they can do.

pixlexic

Banned
I love how people here are all about hardware specs and give no thought to software.

ms has a lot going for them on the drivers and API department. Ask any developer and they will say directx is way more optimized than OpenGL.

but you also have to factor in that you can always make your Apis better .. You can't increase specs which plays in favor of Sony.

because of this I see them both being about even at the start with the ps4 s talking the lead around mid gen.

big_z

What are the chances of another upgrade later down the road and Sony doing the same? Did it happen with any previous console?

adjustments to hardware like this are made quite often, n64, cube, xbox, ps3 and probably others have had tweaks late game. Microsoft probably could push it further if they upgraded the heat sink but we don't even know what the specs of the machine are so any tweak news means little. Hell sony could down clock to reduce noise/heat due to the slim form factor. Don't worry too much about specs until we are closer to launch and things are finalised.

ms has a lot going for them on the drivers and API department. Ask any developer and they will say directx is way more optimized than OpenGL.

they included optimizations in the 360 that weren't available on pcs at the time so its likely going to happen on the bone. directx will help them out quite a bit until developers dig deep into sonys hardware.

GodofWine

If feels like MS didn't have a proper strategy coming into next gen that covered every aspect of their system.

Strike 'every'..insert 'any'

Besides their commitment to kinect, the 'anchor' (yes, dual meaning) of the system, nothing was communicated well or consistent.

Bundy

Banned
If feels like MS didn't have a proper strategy coming into next gen that covered every aspect of their system.
They had a strategy (always-online system, with DRM, no used-games, etc.)
But it was total shit and now they have to "duck-tape" their console a bit to fix a few things.

Xbox one finds the 50megahertz the ps3 lost in 2006! Yay!

The power of the cloud!

Besides who needs 50 more megahertz when the cloud already has infinity power?

Kinan

clock speeds can be adjusted with firmware updates. they can still be making hardware in the mean time.

Will they have enough time for reliability tests though? Higher frequency (not only for GPU, but for memory also), higher power envelope. Basically, you need to go through all the tests again.

Unless they just now got the test results for various frequencies, compared that with yield figures and decided they can choose this one as an optimal point. Still rather late, but doable.

Frodo

OH GAWD. Twin consoles aren't even out and this "180 is holding our glorious PS4 multiplats back" stupidity already started.

It looks like every single piece of good news for the 180 is spun until it is no longer good news. They saw they could improve the speed, even if by a tiny margin, and it would still be cool enough to not melt the entire system and they did it. Good news!

In the end even if they had decreased the speed, games are what really matters.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The large chassis and megafan are paying off. I'll take that 5% improvement!

Only 45% to go before they catch up to the PS4! You can do it Xbone!

No she can't.

It just ocurred to me that if I ran the Xbox division, I would launch at $499, confident that brand, my marketing team and my launch window titles would help me sell my entire production run to the hardcore gamers and xbox live fans. I realize the PS4 will still outsell us by 50% margins but I can't afford to lose a billion dollars by dropping launch price.

I would drop the price to $399 only after 6-9 months (can't risk losing any more traction to Sony at that point) and tout the inclusion of Kinect as a clear advantage over Sony at the same pricepoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom