• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, let me get this straight, the only major difference between the two consoles hardware wise is that the X1 uses DDR3 memory, and that the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory. Is that correct?

nib95

Banned
The small bump is nice. Personally I want Sony and Microsoft to bump it further if they can. OC'd versions of these cards come with greater bumps.

SMZC

So, let me get this straight, the only major difference between the two consoles hardware wise is that the X1 uses DDR3 memory, and that the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory. Is that correct?

The GPU is still supposed to be 40% better than the Xbone's.

All these threads deflect from the possibility of sequel-itis coming our way.

We should be having threads and twitter hashtags for more new and different IPs.

We're headlining a new generation with games that have had 3 or 4 versions in the previous generation.

Knack, Ryse, Drive Club, The Order, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Titanfall, Destiny, Watch Dogs, The Division, The Crew, Deep Down (lol), The Dark Sorceror, Dying Light, The Evil Within, Crimson Dragon, D4, Fantasia, Project Spark, and Black Tusk game. Plus a billion beautiful indies.

And that's just what's announced.

It's a good mix, like always.

50% difference translated to real world gains of up to 24% in actual game framerate, so a game running 40fps on XBO is running 49.6fps on PS4 with identical settings (According to Digital Foundry)

50% compute - 24% framerate difference
40% compute - X framerate difference

X = 19.2% framerate gains over XBO

So the same game running 40fps on XBO will run 47.7 fps on PS4... fuzzy math but in the end the difference between XBO and PS4 has shrunk a bit. Tweak shadows, lod or AA and devs can easily equalize the framerate with minimal loss is visual.

what a meaningless statstic. Let's say thats true, It only works if before systems are being utilized at 100% perfect efficiency.

ethomaz

Banned
There are two major differences: GDDR5 vs DDR3 + eSRAM and 18CU GPU vs 12CU GPU.

Everything else in the hardware are similar.

see5harp

Which is how it should be. Who cares about the bump lets see how the games perform day one on both systems.

That's really the only important thing at the end of the day. As long as their changes to hardware or software implementation are going to make things better for the end user, I don't see the point in complaining or stating that MS "didn't have this stuff locked down" from the get go. Hell 5 years from launch neither of the systems are going to be exactly what they were on launch day. If companies weren't willing to change things we'd still be stuck with the sixaxis, the loud as hell launch 360, and the web interface for the PS store. This is a good thing why are people posting Infamous 3 gifs? LOL.

smurfx

get some go again
so what exactly where the hardware problems people said microsoft were having? if they are upping the gpu by 53hmz that means more heat right? was the problem the cpu?

What do you consider "major" as in completely different parts? Because, yes, they do use the same CPU and same TYPE of GPU. But the GPU's are still "different' in a sense that one has 12 compute units, and the other has 18. Also, X1 doesn't have the bus customizations that Sony put in.

Anyway, in terms of brand and model of hardware.. yeah, memory system is pretty much the "major" difference.

bGanci

Banned
Like I said, they are forcing a lot of hardcore gamers to pay an extra $100 for something that they don't want. They also made the Xbone's specs purposefully inferior in order to be able to pack in Kinect without having an absolutely insane launching price. Those are sacrifices. They are some of the several reasons why we have seen people jumping ship from Microsoft and into the PS4.
All valid points.

longdi

Banned
now for Sony to follow suite. In Cerny we trust.
imo the next gen gpus are too conservatively made. the 7850/7870 dont break much sweat at 900mhz.

From what Ive read, the hardware is overall better in PS4. However, X1's OS is looking to be better.

stryke

Is ~540gflop theoretical difference major to you?

imo the next gen gpus are too conservatively made. the 7850/7870 dont break much sweat at 900mhz.

That's because they're not sitting on the same die as the cpu.

Esqueleto

Banned
what a meaningless statstic. Let's say thats true, It only works if before systems are being utilized at 100% perfect efficiency.

It also ignores the bump in performance when using gddr5. Even in weaker cards, gddr5 makes a huge difference.

But that's something that only will come into play with first party exclusives, no?
Nope. It should be more apparent in multi-platform games because you have something else to compare it to.

onQ123

False!

there is also the fact that the PS4 has 8 Asynchronous Compute Engines & a secondary chip & the Xbox one has the Embedded ram & Move Engines.

Like I said, they are forcing a lot of hardcore gamers to pay an extra $100 for something that they don't want. They also made the Xbone's specs purposefully inferior in order to be able to pack in Kinect without having an absolutely insane launching price. Those are sacrifices. They are some of the several reasons why we have seen people jumping ship from Microsoft and into the PS4.

It's a little more complicated than that. There's a complex formula of TDP, die size, RAM cost, RAM procurability, Kinect BOM cost and retail price at work here.

Overall, the change is positive for everyone. Better X1 games and less gimped multiplats.

I don't think I can handle this anymore. Wake me up when the games are here.

coding to metal, 53mhz bumps.. down clocking, memory pools..

I just want to play videogames.

Infamous 2 was incredibly boring after a while. I really like the games and did everything I could possibly muster in both but I wouldnt say they were among the best in the industry. They try, which is a lot better than most devs, but fall short in the first 2. Second son looks like the best next gen game announced for me tho.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Nights.

The gameplay mechanics in infamous are among the best in the industry. Both of you didn't understand what I was talking about when I said that the gameplay in infamous is top notch (which was originally said in response to a poster saying that the graphics in SS are pretty but the gameplay looks bad).

Biker19

Banned
So the Xbox One is going to be even more powerful and have more available ram than the ps4.

Not looking good for sony at all.

You can't be serious, can you?

What is worrisome for me is the fact the hardware is changing this late in the process. It only adds to the narritive that yields may indeed be an issue for them....you need TIME to work those kind of issues out in order to have a stable launch...

How in the hell, after 8 years can Microsoft be tweaking stuff at the last second like this.....I would think all this would have been sorted out AGES ago.....last year even :/

That could be a BIG problem for MS down the road.

Thuway already said that Sony is playing it super safe right now, and won't be surprised if they just up the GPU in a future update.

androvsky

The PS4 has 50% more compute units on the GPU, double the ROPs, and customizations to make it easier to use the compute units for non-graphics work without interfering with graphics, in addition to the faster memory.

The CPUs are apparently the same though. How much CPU is reserved for the OS is still uncertain for the PS4.

daveo42

Banned
I wonder what the true safe limits are for the Xbox's APU. Overclocking is fine if the chip can handle it and this probably falls under those safe limits, but that's a very specific bump in power. It almost sounds like they are trying to bump up against that limit just to eek out a bit more power.

Tbh, I'm fine with the bump as long as it doesn't negatively affect the chip in both the short and long term. Playing it safe does seems to be the safer route since this will end up being another long gen and I'd like my console to last past the end of the actual generation.

no, the problem was the esram yields

Umm...it's all on the same die though. That APU is a monster because of the size of the ESRAM. The die size is what can cause the a drop in yield.

SmokyDave

I like that they're trying to narrow the performance gap. Third parties weren't going to take full advantage of the PS4 so these upgrades ultimately raise the baseline for everyone.

Klocker

Nobody? You may have not notice it because you're on the other side of the fence but people are now constantly throwing shit on MS and Nintendo on a daily basis.

I hope you can also remember a recent thread about xbone that has to be restarted because of all the negative discussion that took place when the news was kind of good. And what people are arguing is not even about the news itself but is about Major Nelson.

And now here we are at an Xbone thread again, where Infamous gifs are posted, people not buying the console are concerned about the production of xbones for release and a even a hint of good news about the console is met with negative spinning just so you guys can go to sleep soundly at night.

That's a bingo!

Oh and... Great news for people buying Xbox One

ari

Banned
Except.... That's not what's happening at all???

They said explicitly that they went from 800 to 852 or whatever. Please explain what's logically off about the statement.
Judging by all the complainers post histories. MS would change the ram from DDR to gddr5 and they would still complain. Trolls are a real thing.

nib95

Banned
If 70Gflops is doing all this, What would you say about 600Gflops difference between X1 and PS4?

Oh snap.

On a side note, inclusive of the ROP and CU difference between the XO and PS4 there's also a difference in stream processors and texture units too. Hence why the Xbox One still has a 540 Gflops performance deficit.

Still, I'll take any bump we can get. Just no RRoD please.

IN&OUT

Banned

No, PS4 will always have a huge advantage because of its more capable GPU and better memory setup. This clock increase change almost nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom