• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMZC

It's a little more complicated than that. There's a complex formula of TDP, die size, RAM cost, RAM procurability, Kinect BOM cost and retail price at work here.

Even if you take into consideration the reduced Kinect BOM costs, the thing is still making the system more expensive for the consumer than it would have otherwise been. Quite more expensive if we go by the rumor that the new Kinect is costing Microsoft almost as much as the Xbone itself.

FranXico

No, PS4 will always have a huge advantage because of its more capable GPU and better memory setup. This clock increase change almost nothing at all.

Every shorter cycle helps. This helps with the performance of X1 games, and that's a good thing.

nib95

Banned
I like that they're trying to narrow the performance gap. Third parties weren't going to take full advantage of the PS4 so these upgrades ultimately raise the baseline for everyone.

Yeap, the higher performance the lowest common denominator is the better it is for everyone.

whats next price drop? 12gigs of ram? why didnt they just cobble the infos together and drop bombs it wouldve made a good impact. cmon kinectless sku!

As a likely XB1 buyer this fall, this makes me happy. Anything being improved is a good thing. I'm not worried about reliability because the box is already large and well cooled, so this shouldn't change much.

Ugh, dammit, Microsoft is really making this hard for me. Not this 53mhz, just everything in aggregate.

I skipped PS3 last gen (not out of any bias or preference, really - just made a choice and stuck with it) and love my 360.

Of course I preordered PS4 at the end of E3 - used games, more powerful hardware, and better first parties. Still sucks having to pick up from XBL and migrate to PSN, and I much prefer Xbox's controller. And I do have to factor in that my girlfriend and I use our Xbox much more for Netflix and video apps than games...

Which is how it should be. Who cares about the bump lets see how the games perform day one on both systems.

Agreed. The games on both systems will be great! I'm not going to let a lack of 4x MSAA (or w/e) stop me from enjoying games on the XB1 and I'm not going to let the lack of app snapping stop me from enjoying games on the PS4. I know console launches can be a great time to extol the virtues of your favorite corporation but at the end of the day I enjoy games, socially and solo, so I'll be picking up both systems by the end of 2014.

Pretty much yep

Amazing. You are either lying or you really believe this. Hint: There is still a 540+ GFLOPS difference between both consoles because the PS4 has 6 additional CUs.

Judging by all the complainers post histories. MS would change the ram from DDR to gddr5 and they would still complain. Trolls are a real thing.

Baseless generalizations. And changing the RAM type does not fix all of X1's issues, it would still be weaker as pointed out above. So obviously those complaints about a $500 console being less powerful than a $400 console would not stop.

IN&OUT

Banned
I can't really wait to witness the first wave of multiplatform games on PS4 and X1.

PS4 MUST never get any inferior port next gen at all, lets wait and see.

Is this wrong?

No, it's completely understandable! I've leaned more towards Sony myself the last couple of years and I started off pretty strongly in the tank for the 360 at the start of this generation.

I wasn't passing any value judgement on the existence of these general gaming community preferences going into next gen (here and beyond). I just thought it was silly of the poster to act as if that preference did not exist.

No, it's completely understandable! I've leaned more towards Sony myself the last couple of years and I started off pretty strongly in the tank for the 360 at the start of this generation.

I wasn't passing any value judgement on the existence of these general gaming community preferences going into next gen (here and beyond). I just thought it was silly of the poster to act as if that preference did not exist.

Oh I misread your implication earlier. I apologize.

ari

Banned
whats next price drop? 12gigs of ram? why didnt they just cobble the infos together and drop bombs it wouldve made a good impact. cmon kinectless sku!
I really wish posters would stop this, kinect is part of the console and brings extra essentials to it. Its really not that big of a deal.

Cidd

If 70Gflops is doing all this, What would you say about 600Gflops difference between X1 and PS4?

crazy-laughter.jpg

I would like to know this as well.

I really wish posters would stop this, kinect is part of the console and brings extra essentials to it. Its really not that big of a deal.

Taking Kinect out would take away one of the most interesting features XBONE has going for it. They would be dumb to remove it.

TheCloser

Banned
The fact of the matter is that MS did not announce their specs so telling us that there is a 53 mhz clock increase means nothing because we do not know the previous clock speed.

It's a big deal when it adds $100 to the price and when system ressources possibly have to be reserved for this (a Kotaku article hinted at 123 GFLOPS, that's almost double the upclock bonus).

geeko

This MS hate is getting annoying. I get it that some of you don't like them and their system, but must you people shit up every thread that talks about it. I just don't understand how some of u are spinning the GPU upgrade as negative. This is not going to cause the system to overheat, and it will still arrive this year.

ethomaz

Banned
The fact of the matter is that MS did not announce their specs so telling us that there is a 53 mhz clock increase means nothing because we do not know the previous clock speed.
"an example of that is we've tweaked up the clock speed on our GPU from 800mhz to 853mhz."

Try again ;)

BadAss2961

As a likely XB1 buyer this fall, this makes me happy. Anything being improved is a good thing. I'm not worried about reliability because the box is already large and well cooled, so this shouldn't change much.
After the hardware failures of this gen on both sides (especially 360), i'd be worried about it. Such a random overclock total could mean that they're pushing it as far as they can to lessen the gap with the PS4... Even if I planned on getting an Xbone, there's no way i'd guinea pig the launch model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom