• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

When Xbox staff is coming into a gaf thread to help clarify things ... makes me think they want to have direct control of the message.

I have been thinking the same thing. MS cannot afford to have GAF expose another flaw that leads the rest of the net on a campaign against X1 like the past couple of months. So MS highers someone to make sure GAF is controlled from now on.

strata8

I have been thinking the same thing. MS cannot afford to have GAF expose another flaw that leads the rest of the net on a campaign against X1 like the past couple of months. So MS highers someone to make sure GAF is controlled from now on.

Albert Penello highered just to silence GAF. And in his spare time, he leads planning for the Xbox hardware. Yes, that sounds realistic.

Nutter

So this spec increase amounts to one FPS increase.
oh-boy.gif

FPS or not, it made you increase your terrible posts by one. I think its done its job.

Xbudz

I'm done with the derail into debating how to type the console name. There have been threads for that.

IF the final devkits indeed have 12GB of RAM they could, IN THEORY, use the devkit boards for production. I highly doubt it though

Interesting theory. Would be a bombshell if true.
It is interesting that the Xbox One devkit (white) looks to be the same size as the retail Xbox One.

7W95NMc.jpg

1MI6Qqa.jpg

When Microsoft said that every Xbox One was a devkit, mind=blown if they actually meant it literally.

The Xbox 360 devkits are a bit larger than retail machines, it has the extra piece on top.

See, I can totally understand the M$ thing because it's childish and going out of your way to express hatred for Microsoft. You would never see me writing it that way (unless it's mocking those who actually do that on purpose).

But Xbone, I just see as a time saver and a catchy nickname. It's not intended to disrespect (at least not for me, because I have nothing personal against Microsoft). Though I can see how some may see it (or mean it) that way.

I'm not getting the reference. Help?
Honestly, the main difference I see is that the term "Xbone" was born mainly by trolls wanting to troll, the name coming seconds after the name was announced, and as such its birth was negative in nature. If for example the term "Xbone" was coming out now when not as many people are doing it to troll, It would be seen as just a shorthand abbreviation.

Although for me, I just use the term X1 because I'm a lazy bastard with a full keyboard. :p

MoneyHats

Banned
I was always under the impression that coding 'to the metal' was actually talking about code that directly controlled the hardware, as opposed to other software and APis sitting between the code and the hardware.

It's related, APIs are created to work with a set of features across multiple different configurations, and even to some degree APIs have to work with certain things that are the same across multiple PC, for example a DX9 class GPU would have to guarantee a set of features that are DX9 compliant, and if all the GPUs of multiple grades of performance are DX9 compliant, then to some degree there's similar hardware that devs can work with.

This is why developers can do away completely with APIs, there's no point for consoles, the main reason they were created was to deal with different configurations, but on consoles there's only one configuration across all users. Developers can literally do a hack that only applies to specific instructions of a GPU that may not even work with another very similar GPU. Id Software did something like this with the Xbox GPU when creating Doom 3, there were some DX9 specific effects that DX8 cards would not display light heat bending, yet despite Xbox's GPU being a DX8 class GPU, it still had some of the effects like heat bending the environment which only DX9 PC GPUs were capable of displaying.

Pistolero

Interesting theory. Would be a bombshell if true.

In the (large) circle of fighting fanboys, maybe. 12 GB would add very little, if anything to the machine performance. The RAM won't be a problem; the CPU and GPU will be, eventually...

I can't wait for August 20th. I expect Sony and Microsoft will both have very interesting new details for us.

I think Sony's already blown their wad on the hardware side, for the most part--and Microsoft has done the same on the software side.

I'm expecting one or two small announcements each, but nothing world-shattering.

Not an insider, just an opinion.

people arguing about the short form of xbox one in here now.....

in the scheme of things what does this 52-53mhz mean to real world performance?

I like xbone. Reminds me of the bones brigade. When I talk to friends about it I say new xbox. When (if) I buy games from the store I will ask for the xbox copy.

Leadbetter said it best

"This is a huge 3% power increase in real terms that reduces the very small 20% power advantage the PS4 had in our testing to a minuscule 17%"
Poe's law shown off brilliantly here.

It's such a great display of parody that people can't distinguish it from the real thing. I actually had read it twice to make sure it wasn't real.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I wonder if Sony is going to upclock the PS4 GPU.

I sort of doubt it just because Sony has gone on record regarding clocks and teraflop performance.

They're still in a position of hardware superiority, so it's not like they have to.

I wonder if upclocking even marginally would result in worse yields, which would reduce supply and increase their costs...may be best for them to just stay with the course.

Then again, if it doesn't have an impact on yields, it may be worth pursuing. 800 MHz is pretty conservative for their GPU

I sort of doubt it just because Sony has gone on record regarding clocks and teraflop performance.

They're still in a position of hardware superiority, so it's not like they have to.

I wonder if upclocking even marginally would result in worse yields, which would reduce supply and increase their costs...may be best for them to just stay with the course.

Then again, if it doesn't have an impact on yields, it may be worth pursuing. 800 MHz is pretty conservative for their GPU

You answered your own question right there. Sony has absolutely no reason to overclock their hardware.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I don't see it happening. They don't need to and it seems like they're trying to keep the system cool and keep yields up.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't see it happening. They don't need to and it seems like they're trying to keep the system cool and keep yields up.

Having more supply this holiday season is going to be pretty crucial, so you're right.

Sony is going to do everything they can to capitalize on Xbox One shortages and a lower price point with better hardware.

An extra frame or two of performance isn't going to amount to anything.

ypo

So if a 6% increase can net your few fps boost so this confirms that an additional 40% increase will net you 20-30fps increase am i rite? ; )

"Over clock" is a bit of a silly phrase to use, considering we are talking about an unreleased console and it is the manufacturer doin the "over clocking"!

It's like saying "oh shit sucker punch added mods" when they changed the character design 6 months before the release of infamous.

MS increased the clock speed based on a lot of data accumulated from a lot of very expensive testing.
On PC you can buy a pre-overclocked gpu from a manufacturer.

How come nobody is commenting on the better and bigger news from this?

A new video driver/apis, while the other was apparently (from their wording) a lot closer to default dx 11.2 could be amazing for performance.

Because it's utterly meaningless. Every other closed hardware platform ever has had a so called "mono" driver. It's exactly the same as how the 360 used a stripped down DirectX driver specific to that system's hardware.

As for a question of a potential upclock on the PS4, it's hard to say. Ironically it would only take an extra 35Mhz to nullify these gains in the Xbox One, and a 53Mhz upclock would actually result in a gap that is bigger than it was before! Everything we've know about the PS4 does make it seem like production has been going really well, so it's possible they have some wiggle room. Maybe their October surprise will be an, "oh yeah, and our GPU is now capable of 2TFlops!" Either way it leaves the Xbox One well behind.

That's one of the reasons I thought the fantasy of a 200Mhz upgrade for the Xbox One GPU were so laughable. That would have definitely had a significant impact on costs and supply, and it would still get the system nowhere near parity. Such a misadventure would be tantamount to burning money for the kind of return they would net.

So if a 6% increase can net your few fps boost so this confirms that an additional 40% increase will net you 20-30fps increase am i rite? ; )

No...

6% overclock for a gpu will generally net you 1-2 (1 is a more realistic estimate as CPU, ram, etc have remained constant) if previously achieving 30 and 2-4 (2 realistically) for 60 frames. This is of course going by a AMD on-chip GPU overclock.

We can safely assume that if a developer was hitting 29 frames pre-overclock they should be able to hit 30 frames.

It's still a net gain.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Was about to say the same thing. Xbone just flows from my keyboard, XB1 feels like I'm typing out a password. I wish all acronyms were like this.

Here's an idea, start typing XBone and stop after the O, XBO. It's more accurate considering it's not the XBox 1, it's the Xbox One. XBO.

I can't wait for August 20th. I expect Sony and Microsoft will both have very interesting new details for us.
I think that both Sony and MS will underwhelm at Gamescon for some reason. I don't think things will truly get interesting for next gen until end of year one/beginning of year two. I'm glad to have new consoles, but both launches are playing it safe software wise imo. I can't wait to see what the new IPs/franchises will bring going forward; stuff that we haven't seen or heard of before.

Xbudz

I think that both Sony and MS will underwhelm at Gamescon for some reason. I don't think things will truly get interesting for next gen until end of year one/beginning of year two. I'm glad to have new consoles, but both launches are playing it safe software wise imo. I can't wait to see what the new IPs/franchises will bring going forward; stuff that we haven't seen or heard of before.

Both companies have unannounced games that they'll be unveiling at Gamescom. Some of them might be available near launch, that's why I'm excited.

Here's an idea, start typing XBone and stop after the O, XBO. It's more accurate considering it's not the XBox 1, it's the Xbox One. XBO.

The greatest idea of all time: Call it whatever you like. As long as people know what you're talking about, the title isn't all that big a deal. It is just a hunk of plastic and wires, after all.

Both companies have unannounced games that they'll be unveiling at Gamescom. Some of them might be available near launch, that's why I'm excited.

I dig what you're putting out.

"Both companies" refers to the two big players in the same business who are trying to win the next gen console war.

Two players in the same room could often play together on many beloved games from the past.

Player two in the most loved two player game of all time (Super Mario Bros.) had to play as Luigi.

Luigi worked as a plumber, where he had to replace pipes and turn valves.

Valve is a popular games developer, know for games such as the Half-Life series.

Luigi wears green overalls.

Green is the color of Xbox.

Green is also the color of money.

Ipso facto, Microsoft paid Valve large amounts of green to make Half-Life 3 Xbone exclusive!

Just call me Detective GAF.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

I want to say TRUTHFACT, but i could be DEADWRONG

I think valve might be learning how to count past two, but the xbox is now back to one.

It would be nice to see something truly eye catching; something that absolutely screams, "I must have that game!". I'm excited, but I think the potential for next gen games has me more excited than what has actually been shown by both companies so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom