• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ?
Especially the last months should have proven that policies and every little detail can change so fast.

PS4 ram change, MS policy change and so on.
There isn't anything set in stone and alot of those insiders have given us damn good information.
Of course they can be wrong as well...
But there's a difference when someone is just spreading bullshit or someone who has already proven himself and is just a victim of a 180...

Unfortunately, they're not going to listen, though.

I really don't understand this announcement except for the pr it brinngs.

1. Devs have the specs and are under NDA.

2. Users don't know the original MHz.

3. Press are reporting this as part of Xbox 180 this is the winning console.

4. We had insiders confirmed by mods report the opposite.

statham

In all honesty, I was just going on memory of that massive Truthfact thread as opposed to that.

sometimes you need to check your truthfacts about truthfacts before truthfacting them.

at least someone had that quoted in the OP. Stupid mistake on my part.

gotcha, Tag is cool.

Epsilon

Banned
Or they've been testing this higher clock speed for a month or two now, and they've finally got assurances this higher speed is safe for the beginning of production.

I can't help but cringe reading some of the responses in this thread when someone like Albert is trying to foster a civil discussion while people wildly speculate about nonsense.

Are you a Microsoft insider? if not, the first part of your post is the definition of speculation.

I don't understand why some people interpret anyone voicing their concerns as fanboy attacks

Klocker

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1769120&postcount=2503
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1769125&postcount=2505
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1770070&postcount=2653
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1770311&postcount=2675
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1770559&postcount=2680

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just been told that while the DF article is accurate there is one important point Richard seems to have got wrong.

With the flexible memory pool, it actually has only 512 MB of physical memory allocated to it - not 1 GB (Richard might have got confused by the fact that the pool can have up to 1024 MB of virtual memory addressed to it)

So the total available physical memory is 5 GB for devs (including the 512 MB in the flexible memory pool), with 3 GB reserved for the system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it's the former: 4.5GB + 0.5GB + 3GB

I am very surprised the reservation is this large!

But I suppose it's good to finally have the last major piece of info outstanding from our knowledge of the two systems.

No, games are limited to 5 GB; 4.5 GB managed directly by the game and 0.5 GB managed by the system on behalf of the game.

You don't have to use the full 1024 MB of virtual memory (and page to HDD) unless you want to.

One explanation of why thuway and co might be getting it wrong on the reservation is because devs can use the system in a mode where 6 GB of physical memory is available to the game.

This is only for development purposes though, you can't release a game that uses 6 GB.

from a month ago...

Well' I've been told before that upclocks are possible with XB1 hardware and it would mainly be an issue of MS being willing to eat the cost of poorer yields rather than running into TDP issues.

Maybe, like the ESRAM thing, this is something they discovered they could get away with from testing final silicon - without any significant impact on their BOM.

I think a change under 10% can be described as a small increase...

MS has the specs and they talked about it. Obviously developers still can't talk about it, but Marc Whitten can do what he wants basically. If you listen to the podcast, they give you the actual numbers. It went from 800 Mhz to 853 Mhz. There was never any downclocking, regardless of what "insiders" and mods supposedly confirmed. This is straight from the horse's mouth.

image.php

Looks like I just fucked my xbox loving ass.

*searches for CBOAT thread to scour through posts*

Skinny jeans are clouding your judgement, breh. Cutting off circulation.

Pistolero

The specs bump is almost inconsequential (I say almost, because every extra drop of power would be welcome), but it could really serve their marketing agenda if they pull their collective heads out of their corporate ass and start messaging agressively.
The good bit of news is the opitimized drivers and the ability to write closer to the metal...

Mastperf

So have they gotten all of the yield problems under control or are they taking a hit on launch system availability in order to put their best foot forward at launch?

MS has the specs and they talked about it. Obviously developers still can't talk about it, but Marc Whitten can do what he wants basically. If you listen to the podcast, they give you the actual numbers. It went from 800 Mhz to 853 Mhz. There was never any downclocking, regardless of what "insiders" and mods supposedly confirmed. This is straight from the horse's mouth.

Thanks did not listen to the podcast.

MS guy confirms upclock + says it is ~6% so basically confirms 800Mhz original clock, now 853Mhz: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74444395&postcount=1421

Insiders lol. People with insider contacts at the best.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Xbudz

Personally I don't see the reason to be focused on comparing Microsoft's reveal(s) to Sony's.
It should be clear they're doing things differently. Neither parties are required to give explicit information until ready; public transparency be damned. Looks like people will continue to act silly, make assumptions and reach for conclusions in the name of console warz.

I'm the Jekyll and Hyde of Xbox.
Awesome :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Normal AMD 7790 clocked at 1GHZ.

Xbone downclocked 200GHZ to 800GHZ to fit cooling and noise requirements then they decided to bump it up after all the post E3 drama and PS4 gaining momentum. Not revealed until they tested it was stable and could keep the noise and cooling at acceptable levels.

That is my tales from the ass. ;)

Personally I don't see the reason to be focused on comparing Microsoft's reveal(s) to Sony's.
It should be clear they're doing things differently. Neither parties are required to give explicit information until ready; public transparency be damned. Looks like people will continue to act silly, make assumptions and reach for conclusions in the name of console warz.

They're direct competitors. When one is being relatively straight-forward and open, and the other gives cringe-worthy statements about "the infinite power of the cloud," comparisons will be made. Right or wrong, it's human nature.

Jack_AG

Banned
The specs bump is almost inconsequential (I say almost, because every extra drop of power would be welcome), but it could really serve their marketing agenda if they pull their collective heads out of their corporate ass and start messaging agressively.
The good bit of news is the opitimized drivers and the ability to write closer to the metal...
The message is mixed.

1) Tell everyone the cloud has unlimited computational power and hardware numbers are meaningless.
2) Tell everyone you are bumping specs indirectly makes cloud seem less powerful and numbers now meaningful.

Its a BS PR stunt, at best. People are smart not to fall for "cloud" PR so they are shifting gears. MS really needs to fire their entire PR staff and just talk about (and show) games.

RedAssedApe

Banned
53MHz isn't enough do that.

It's not enough to do much else either.

Do modern PC parts all overclock fairly easily? What about the 7790 that the Xbone seems to be closest to in terms of GPU? I remember back in the day when I still built PC gaming rigs (this was like mid 2000s, every little mhz bump mattered. Bump it 1mhz too high and you could get artifacts in your game or general system instability.

MS PR seems to work better when it comes directly from lower level engineers, rather than high level execs

I guess you could say their PR is better off...

8EE145DC24915F4B467E94B7111A.gif

...when it's closer to the metal

CSI-Yeaaaah.jpg

A respectful question which I will answer respectfully :)
Thank you for taking the time to address my question directly. I appreciate it.

I don’t think anyone... us, the right honorable gentlemen in Foster City, our pals in Cupertino, or any other company actually disclose the timelines under which they will announce information.
Fair enough. To be honest I wasn't expecting you to "spill the beans", but I was hoping you might give us an answer to the effect of "I can't really go into details right now but these rumors/questions will be addressed before launch", etc. For the record: I think what Major Nelson did today with his podcast is a nice way of letting information flow to your potential customers, as well as you following up and interacting with us.

My line isn’t a PR line – it’s just I’m not in PR so I don’t determine when news is getting released. It’s not my call, and I can’t share our PR plans with the world. Everyone is going to be putting out information on the new consoles at their own pace.
I want to clear something up here just to make sure we're on the same page: I know "PR" has kind of a negative connotation right now in this forum, and I can see how my statement about "not commenting on rumors, etc" being "a PR line" might have come across as, well, as a bad thing. It wasn't. What I meant by that is that it is the company's line and it's the line that company speakers have to use unless somebody high up in the chain of command decides to actually address the rumor/question. I figured you'd be that person, you know; that (to use your words) it was your call. So (again) I hoped we could get a bit more from you than "can't say, my hands are tied".

What I’m trying to do, is get on here and give more details and more context.
And you're doing a good job. We just want more. :D

I agree – we haven’t done a great job on this. We’re trying to do better. But you guys have SUPER specific questions – most of them really good – and for our PR team to try and wrap up that level of detail is harder than you think. So I’m happy (I love it actually) to come here and try to really dig in and get some of the specifics answered.
It's good to know we're making you guys work overtime :p We really want to know everything that's to know about your product. I know some people will use specs as ammo in charts wars and whatnot, it can be pretty tiring I guess. Some people just want to be able to make informed decisions. Fun fact: I don't live in the States, so that means I'm likely going to have to import the Xbox One, and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use Live if I do. I want to know if at least the games will work. I'm not asking you to address that right here, right now. But I want to know if that's something I'll find out before console launch (in the States) or perhaps next year.

And yes, you guys fumbled with the ball for a bit a few weeks ago, but I agree that you're doing better. Keep on keeping on.

But – I still work here. And I will continue to try and answer questions as long as I can, but I can only comment on stuff that’s announced. Cool?
We cool. *fistbump*

:p now announce more stuff.

Krakn3Dfx

Do modern PC parts all overclock fairly easily? What about the 7790 that the Xbone seems to be closest to in terms of GPU? I remember back in the day when I still built PC gaming rigs (this was like mid 2000s, every little mhz bump mattered. Bump it 1mhz too high and you could get artifacts in your game or general system instability.

I don't generally buy AMD 3D cards (although that may change if PC ports start favoring AMD GPUs), but overclocking the core on my GTX 660Ti +115MHz gives me on average 4-5fps more at 1920x1080 than running at stock, and that's considered a pretty high OC. If I got to 120Mhz, I start getting artifacting in a few games, so I dialed it back at that point. In the end, I just set it to stock because the benefits were pretty negligible even at +115. OC'ing the memory by about +326MHz offers a bigger benefit, maybe 8-10fps at 1080p.

I'm not sure if those figures give any indication of how the GPU in the XBO would react performance wise, but I would assume it wouldn't be any more profitable from a performance standpoint to run the GPU in it at +53Mhz more than running the 660Ti core at +115Mhz. Having said that, every little bit help obviously, and if they can squeeze out 53Mhz without any thermal concerns, there's no reason for them not to.

So in the space of 3 months Microsoft went from serious plans to downclock possibly down to 600MHz to actually upclock to 853MHz? Yaright.

So, we should believe the rumor instead of an official announcement?

That kind of thinking makes no sense to me. The hardware will be out in a few months, MS would lie right now for what exact purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom