• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyHats

Banned
Here's the way I see it, not too long ago there were rumors that MS was having production issues which caused speculation that the GPU would get a downgrade...

Well not only is it good news to hear that this downgrade is not going to happen but that its actually getting an upgrade instead, however small is a lot better news than a downgrade that's for sure.

Alternate universe: XO downgraded to 747Mhz GPU
Actual universe: XO upgraded to 853Mhz GPU

Then you appreciate the value of this news :)

I have a question for you and I ask this in the most respectful way:

and I understand that's a PR line, it's ok. But if not by you and not now, when will these rumors/questions be put to bed/confirmed/answered? Will you guys talk more about specs, architecture, live, etc at Gamescom? Will you have an X0 event sometime this year or rather, will you have a dedicated event for the Xbox One before launch? I mean U.S. launch, to be clear.

A respectful question which I will answer respectfully :)

I don’t think anyone... us, the right honorable gentlemen in Foster City, our pals in Cupertino, or any other company actually disclose the timelines under which they will announce information.

My line isn’t a PR line – it’s just I’m not in PR so I don’t determine when news is getting released. It’s not my call, and I can’t share our PR plans with the world. Everyone is going to be putting out information on the new consoles at their own pace.

What I’m trying to do, is get on here and give more details and more context.

I agree – we haven’t done a great job on this. We’re trying to do better. But you guys have SUPER specific questions – most of them really good – and for our PR team to try and wrap up that level of detail is harder than you think. So I’m happy (I love it actually) to come here and try to really dig in and get some of the specifics answered.

But – I still work here. And I will continue to try and answer questions as long as I can, but I can only comment on stuff that’s announced. Cool?

Care to link me to where you found out it was quieter? I'm just curious, maybe I missed something.
I don't have a link I'm afraid, but it was in a recent Cerny interview where he mentioned about why it is smaller, owing to less power and he also slid in that it was quieter.

But then 0.00001dB is still quieter - he didn't say quiet, just quieter :D

onQ123

Since Sony is not requiring an online check in to make their machine function, how can they go about an upclock at this point? They would surely have users who are not web connected and they would have a slower machine.

I guess they could do a mailed CD or PC thumb drive download, or take it to a friends house or gamestop maybe...but MS finally found a 'positive' for this day one check in to the Kinect HQ.

I dont put anything past Sony right now, for all we know they sandbagged the clock speed as well and are just staring at that bullet in their gun with a devilish grin, but I doubt it.

Simple all they have to do is include the FW update on whatever game that needs this clock speed update, remember when the PSP went from 222MHz to 333MHz for God of War?

so picture a PS4 game coming out in a few years that push the clock from 800MHz to 1200MHz & taking the PS4 to 2.76TFLOPS

ok that's never gonna happen lol but that's what happened with the PSP but the PSP was clocked well below it's max clock rate to save battery life & PS4 & Xbox One are clocked below their max clock rates to keep the noise / heat & power usage down. AMD already have GPU's with the same CU's on the market clocked at 1GHz so they both have a little wiggle room.

Xbudz

Simple all they have to do is include the FW update on whatever game that needs this clock speed update, remember when the PSP went from 222MHz to 333MHz for God of War?

Remember the rumor about Wii U getting a a GPU upgrade via last May's firmware?
I'm not certain if that was true, but it's clearly a possibility for any of the 3 major home consoles.

I don’t think anyone... us, the right honorable gentlemen in Foster City, our pals in Cupertino, or any other company actually disclose the timelines under which they will announce information.

My line isn’t a PR line – it’s just I’m not in PR so I don’t determine when news is getting released. It’s not my call, and I can’t share our PR plans with the world. Everyone is going to be putting out information on the new consoles at their own pace.

I agree – we haven’t done a great job on this. We’re trying to do better. But you guys have SUPER specific questions – most of them really good – and for our PR team to try and wrap up that level of detail is harder than you think. So I’m happy (I love it actually) to come here and try to really dig in and get some of the specifics answered.

But – I still work here. And I will continue to try and answer questions as long as I can, but I can only comment on stuff that’s announced. Cool?

Cool :)

ekim

I might me interpreting too much into this but your elaborate answer confirms for me that you guys have some more aces up your sleeves.

EvB

Consoles have fixed specifications. For example, I own a PS3. If you own a PS3 too, they have the exact same components inside.

If we each have PCs however, there is no guarantee of us having the same components in our respective PCs (in fact it's very unlikely).

Therefore coding to the metal means that developers can optimise their games specifically for the hardware inside the console, because they know that everyone has the same hardware. Theoretically this gives you much greater performance.

I was always under the impression that coding 'to the metal' was actually talking about code that directly controlled the hardware, as opposed to other software and APis sitting between the code and the hardware.

Krakn3Dfx

I might me interpreting too much into this but your elaborate answer confirms for me that you guys have some more aces up your sleeves.

If a 53Mhz GPU increase and a finished driver count as 'aces', then yeah, they'll probably knock your socks off before the XBO is out with things like rubber feet on the console.

Regardless of what the PR team at MS does, insiders are welcome to GAF.

Of course. I would never even try to imply otherwise. Anyone with any inside information is not only more than welcome, but I would argue they are part if what set GAF apart from any old message board.

Final numbers were obviously not nailed down, one can imagine that might have something to do with them not announcing them until ready.

Doesn't it makes sense to wait until the numbers have been finalized before revealing exact clock speeds? Why communicate a number that they know will most likely change before release?

Let's suppose Sony comes out and says they've upped their GPU from 800Mhz to 853Mhz. Would anyone damn them for having shared that first number? Sharing information that's accurate when reported doesn't make it a lie if those numbers change. But being open like that just makes Sony look confident and as though they have nothing to hide.

That's not across the board, mind you. Sony has been eerily quiet on the topic of being able to change PSN usernames, which leads one to assume the worst. Because, again, lack of transparency tends will make people assume the worst is the truth.

Meh 53MHZ..... Big whoooooppp. Sounds like marketing. If Sony wanted to, I'm sure they can add more cooling and up the PS4 by a whopping 53MHZ more.

It is such a shame the XB1 has inferior hardware.

Why does everything have to be System Warz? Yes, it's not a huge bump. But it's something. Why shit on it?

MercGH

Banned
Meh 53MHZ..... Big whoooooppp. Sounds like marketing. If Sony wanted to, I'm sure they can add more cooling and up the PS4 by a whopping 53MHZ more.

It is such a shame the XB1 has inferior hardware.

prwxv3

nah. There are still people saying devs are telling them absolutely true that ps4 has 4.5-5 GB for games. A good source on b3d not to mention the article. Of course sony won't comment on it but its pretty much considered fact now

Oh god.

Epsilon

Banned
Clock speed upgrade this late with the production phase just around the corner? doesn't bode well for MS as it means a short stress testing period.

we might have another RROD situation here.

the psp was upclocked via firmware update.

This is incorrect, the PSP was reset to default factory clocks with a firmware upgrade. It was down clocked to improve battery life prior the the firmware update.

The size of the system and how the vents are will prevent that.

You can't make generalized statements like this when it comes to overclocking something. Each chip will have a different outcome. If anything they need more time to test.

I was being sarcastic. If you haven't noticed the Sony fanboys invading every Xbox post saying "scrambling to get this thing made" "cobbled together" "lol reactionary" (<---- as if thats a bad thing).

Surely not knowing how much ram your OS reserves this late in the game counts as scrambling/cobbling/reactionary

This is incorrect, the PSP was reset to default factory clocks with a firmware upgrade. It was down clocked to improve battery life prior the the firmware update.

You can't make generalized statements like this when it comes to overclocking something. Each chip will have a different outcome. If anything they need more time to test.

We don't know how long they changed it though.

big_z

Considering their aim was a ten year life span of heavy use, with lower clocks than the pc counterparts I think they'll be okay.

thuway

For those of you asking about Sony, IMO any upclock at this stage will be a terrible idea. Sony is better off letting these machines launch, reaping the rewards of any benefits from port differences; and in the late end game stages of this gen - unlocking the clock rate.

The PS4 is the smaller machine, so perhaps it might not be the wisest decision to upclock.

They've been testing the box for months now. They know how much air it can move and remain under their noise profile. A 53 MHz upclock isn't going to significantly increase the TDP.

Considering their aim was a ten year life span of heavy use, with lower clocks than the pc counterparts I think they'll be okay.

"We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life span through 2015 (10 years after the launch),"
explained Microsoft exec Shane Kim.

So same as the 360 that's reassuring...

late end game stages of this gen - unlocking the clock rate.

Sony would be insane to try this. First it could brick many systems and cause problems late in the game. Either do it up front or forget it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
DMG comes into the scene saying some silly shit

Neogaf shoves shit back in mouth

TRUTHFACT

Originally Posted by BruceLeeRoy

I've heard the exact same thing as Thuway.

GPU is getting DC from 2 different sources. One that told me several weeks ago and the other that reconfirmed yesterday.

I blame this guy!

farisr

CBOAT comes into the scene saying GPU is downclocked, Xbox 1 is having issues

Xbox crew comes out saying 'Oh, we're actually above our initial predictions!'

Neogaf laughs it off.

Fuck this noise. TRUTHFACT

more like DEADWRONG

CBOAT never mentioned a GPU downclock, he only confirmed the ESRAM related yield issues.

Krakn3Dfx

For those of you asking about Sony, IMO any upclock at this stage will be a terrible idea. Sony is better off letting these machines launch, reaping the rewards of any benefits from port differences; and in the late end game stages of this gen - unlocking the clock rate.

The PS4 is the smaller machine, so perhaps it might not be the wisest decision to upclock.

Plus, being reactionary is kind of Microsoft's thing right now.

Neogaf laughs it off.

Fairly certain cboat confirmed yield issues and said nothing on the downclocking

People incorrectly extrapolated downclocking from supposed yield issues

Ishida

Banned

Neogaf laughs it off.

CBOAT stated the GPU was getting downlocked?

Please link to such post.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Neogaf laughs it off.

When did CBOAT say anything about downclocked GPUs?

Show a link, please.

Edit: beaten like a dusty mat

Amir0x

Banned

Neogaf laughs it off.

oh how you guys continue to embarrass yourselves lol

szaromir

Banned
explained Microsoft exec Shane Kim.

So same as the 360 that's reassuring...
They meant 360 would be a viable platform until 2015, which it looks like it'll be the case. Now they're claiming they designed the hardware so that individual units would survive 10 years of daily usage.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
When did CBOAT say anything about downclocked GPUs?

Show a link, please.

Edit: beaten like a dusty mat

image.php

Looks like I just fucked my xbox loving ass.

*searches for CBOAT thread to scour through posts*

I was being sarcastic. If you haven't noticed the Sony fanboys invading every Xbox post saying "scrambling to get this thing made" "cobbled together" "lol reactionary" (<---- as if thats a bad thing).

Surely not knowing how much ram your OS reserves this late in the game counts as scrambling/cobbling/reactionary
Are you trying to say Microsoft hasn't been making last minute changes in response to consumer feedback?

You don't have to be a Sony fan to realise Microsoft is scrambling to make this thing an appealing product.

Are you trying to say Microsoft hasn't been making last minute changes in response to consumer feedback?

You don't have to be a Sony fan to realise Microsoft is scrambling to make this thing an appealing product.

Would love if someone made one of those "things that will save the Wii U" chalkboards but for Xbox and all their reversed policies

Jabba

Banned
The fact a Microsoft employee is here on GAF tells me, GAF does matter. Blezsinski and all the GAF minority voice shit, can it now stop?

Gamers like on GAF will champion your efforts to other people as long as it's truthful, has real benefits, "perceived" and real. Without bullshit PR. I't one of the reasons many come here. Many gamers don't want PR, they just want facts explained without spin.

Gotta start somewhere. Al being here, can hopefully stay/be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom