• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cracks down on "unauthorized" Xbox 360 Storage Devices

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Sean said:
Not that I'm defending this crap, but Apple does the same exact thing with the "Made for iPod" program. So it's not limited to just the gaming market (although it does seem to be a lot more common there)...

i understand what you mean, but companies need to strike a good balance, as much as i don't like the price of the wireless adapter for the 360, i understand why it is proprietary

the apple store I like, the iPhones protection on the other hand can fuck off

Imagine if intel brought out a PC where you could only download software off of it's own PC download store, no one would buy the thing

i'm hoping the iPhone will eventually come unlocked, as customers start using android and other devices that support a proprietary store and allow unsigned software and unrestricted development

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

CadetMahoney said:
hopefully this is also for hdd's for the lolz. :lol

What's wrong with you people? Anti-consumer consumers?

Sean said:
Not that I'm defending this crap, but Apple does the same exact thing with the "Made for iPod" program. So it's not limited to just the gaming market (although it does seem to be a lot more common there)...

Shhhh dont get the Apple fanboys mad, they are worse than all the console fanboys combined.

GavinGT said:
Pretty much. This is just going to guarantee that Microsoft can continue overcharging for memory.

Personally I would liken it to Microsoft saying "Oh sorry guys, we're applying a mandatory patch to windows vista that won't allow you to use unauthorized storage devices with our operating system, this change will also apply for Windows 7. Oh by the way, did we mention that we'll be releasing our own line of Microsoft brand hard drives, flash cards, and thumb drives?"

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
bucknuticus said:
Shhhh dont get the Apple fanboys mad, they are worse than all the console fanboys combined.

Hey! i have a mac and an ipod Touch, i also run a store that is currently dedicated to mac products, and i don't like apples policies, apple need to open up a bit more, and stop pissing off Google as well, thats like punching Satan

mrgone said:
CrushYourHead.jpg
:lol I remember that, from like... 10+ years ago! :lol

Fake edit: Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pKXMcfx1d8

Real edit: Head crusher vs. Face pincher!! :lol :lol :lol :lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBlPy0byK8&feature=related

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, those money-hating cockblocking motherfuckers better not crack down on the soon-to-be-hacked 250GB HDD I want to upgrade to. :/

Mama Robotnik said:
It really is a golden age, isn't it?

You purchase the console and use it as you see fit. But should the functionality you apply be unforeseen and unprofitable for the manufacturing megacorp (and I'm not talking about piracy), they label it as "unauthorized" and remove said functionality from your property. They neuter your property's functionality, with zero benefit to the owner.

I can't think of any other industry that gets away with this shit. And especially cannot fathom another industry that has apologists for it.

It's like 1984...except only in the videogame industry. The sheer injustice of it all!

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

I'm biting my tongue on this, it might bleed a little.

dfyb

Banned
Relix said:
LULZ! People spent money to circumvent something quite stupid and they are gonna get ruined after being used to it for years! LULZ!!!!!!
they knew what they were getting into

52club

At what point are companies that provide exclusive XBL titles going to realize the cost of HD space is affecting their sales? Only Microsoft could make a Sony product seem consumer friendly:lol .

aeolist

Banned
Isn't it impossible for them to block the third party hard drives without disabling some legitimate first party drives?

And wouldn't doing that get them nothing but a massive lawsuit?

Wow, that sucks. I'm not affected, but damn, that's a shitty move by Microsoft. God help us all if Xbox 720 becomes the leading platform.

TouchMyBox said:
That's a poor analogy, hard drives are a device which allows you to give microsoft more money. So it would actually be in their best interest to get everybody large capacity hard drives at low costs. This is what makes the whole situation very strange and confusing.

This. If i was able to buy a really large harddrive i would more than make up for it with the extra money i would spend.

I guess i shouldn't complain they are helping me to save my money.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
52club said:
Only Microsoft could make a Sony product seem consumer friendly:lol .

I can use practically any accessory (controller, HDD, mic) on my PS3 just fine. It's probably the most consumer friendly/open console ever.

ghostmind

Microsoft? Hello? How about focussing on what is broken (your shitty billing system, the inability to switch countries) instead of endlessly dogging your own consumers?

Listening to the "Major Nelson" podcast, and it's almost every week now they have a segment telling listeners how they could be banned this time.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
This is such a crappy move. This is one of the reasons in my heart that I want Sony to beat Microsoft. I say that as someone who buys almost every multiplat on 360. I just get so annoyed with this kind of crap.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, as a consumer, i reserve the right to bitch when i do not get a good deal.

Mejilan said:
Wow, those money-hating cockblocking motherfuckers better not crack down on the soon-to-be-hacked 250GB HDD I want to upgrade to. :/

If it becomes widespread, I fully expect MS to say big "FUCK YOU!!! for being our customer" in your face.

52club said:
At what point are companies that provide exclusive XBL titles going to realize the cost of HD space is affecting their sales? Only Microsoft could make a Sony product seem consumer friendly:lol .

Companies that are small enough to provide digital distribution only games aren't in a position to influence Microsoft to do pretty much anything.

Mejilan

MirageDwarf said:
If it becomes widespread, I fully expect MS to say big "FUCK YOU!!! for being our customer" in your face.

It WILL be widespread. The other HDDs fell in no time at all, and the tools used for those HDDs has already been updated to support the not-yet-leaked 250GB firmware.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
alr1ghtstart said:
this is bullshit; but I am so not surprised.

also, people are getting bannzored for playing forza 3 early.
http://twitter.com/Stepto/status/4928523236
You know, when you play a pre-release title on LIVE when I know you shouldn’t have it, it’s not hard for me to figure out. #forza3hammertime

That's the first time in... what... two years they actively state they're banning pirates?

MS needs to ban console modders more often, I've played games on the Orange Box/360 in TF2 where people still had the ability to modify shit and to top it off you couldn't report them on Live as they hacked the Live system to not have their Gamertag be in your "last played" list.

Mejilan said:
It WILL be widespread. The other HDDs fell in no time at all, and the tools used for those HDDs has already been updated to support the not-yet-leaked 250GB firmware.

I meant hdd hacks in general. I think majority of hdd owners have paid rip-off price.

Mejilan

MirageDwarf said:
I meant hdd hacks in general. I think majority of hdd owners have paid rip-off price.

You'd be surprised at how cheap and easy they are to get on eBay and whatnot.

somehow i don't think this affects HDD's and is just a block on the Datel cards... but hey, if it does go after HDD's, it will be EPIC!
Borman said:
More like 3 weeks, every major release has bannings to go along with it.
not really, they only did this with ODST and now F3, they weren't doing it before.

obonicus

Keavy_Rain said:

Okay, Astrolad, let's see you beat this.

Saterium

...figures. I just bought a new HDD off Newegg and spent a day flashing the firmware and transferring data. Now that it finally works properly I'm afraid to use it.

At least I didn't delete any of the old data I guess.

Oh well, I guess my PS3 could use a 160gb drive.

Mandoric

Banned
aeolist said:
Isn't it impossible for them to block the third party hard drives without disabling some legitimate first party drives?

And wouldn't doing that get them nothing but a massive lawsuit?

The lawsuits didn't materialize when they started marking some suspicious savefiles as bad a couple years ago. I doubt anything will come of it other than Sony fans trying desperately to score points on GAF.

Anony said:
fuck microsoft and their overpriced memory unit

Yeah!!! F them!!! They should have learned from the PS2 last gen that people will not stand to pay for over priced memory cards!!!!!!!! Oh wait.............

Fio said:
It's impressive how MS treats their consumers like their bitches.

Posted from a Windows computer?

I just bought a hard drive off ebay which came in a white box with green stripes that looked nothing like an official Microsoft product....

The hard drive works perfectly, so I'm not complaining, but if I get banned.... I'm gonna make one angry phone call.

Haunted

Keavy_Rain said:
2d26o6.png

Anony

OldJadedGamer said:
Yeah!!! F them!!! They should have learned from the PS2 last gen that people will not stand to pay for over priced memory cards!!!!!!!! Oh wait.............

i dont know where you were, i bought a 3rd party no name 64mb memory card for ps2 for 12 canadian with free shipping

so no

not to mention, the flash ram was expensive back in the day
when u open the official hdd for 360, it's a standard 120gb 2.5" sata hdd (WD) that you can get it for less than 50$
nothing special about it other than microsoft-aids

Pachael

Hope they respond to competitive pressures better huh (PS3 250GB $349) - that may tell them (hey, we need to reduce the prices)

Anony said:
i dont know where you were, i bought a 3rd party no name 64mb memory card for ps2 for 12 canadian with free shipping

so no

I was somewhere where I didn't want any chance for my save files to become corrupted and lose all my playtime. When it comes to memory cards, I only buy official and currently as of today... Sony sells 8megs of memory for the PS2 for $25 bucks.

Btw, you can get 8GIGS for that much. Sony has ALWAYS overcharged for their memory.

Anony said:
not to mention, the flash ram was expensive back in the day
when u open the official hdd for 360, it's a standard 120gb 2.5" sata hdd (WD) that you can get it for less than 50$
nothing special about it other than microsoft-aids

Now what is your excuse that after 9 years Sony still charges $25 bucks for 8megs of memory? Today.... this is the price Sony charges right now.

RavenFox

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:
what's wrong with you dude?

I would probably buy much more XBLA, Originals, Movies, ect. If I could buy a bigger hard drive without having to get a loan. Microsoft's loss I guess.

ashism

Keavy_Rain said:
Hhahaha, how many times has this been quoted?
I want to see this guy come back and defend that amazing statement. :lol

ThaiGrocer said:
I've wanted to buy X360 since launch, but this kind of bullshit keeps on pushing me back. Ah well, the dude abides.

Actually, Sony's price of their memory cards at the time pushed me to get an 360 pro system over the arcade at the launch of the 360. I thought to myself that I was getting 20gigs AND HD cables for an extra $100 bucks so it was a steal.

At the time, I paid $30 for my HDTV cables for my PS2 and $25 for 8megs of memory for my PS2 and bought 2 of them so that was $80 bucks right there. 16megs of memory for $50 bucks or 20gigs for $100???? That made the decision super easy.

Anony

OldJadedGamer said:
Now what is your excuse that after 9 years Sony still charges $25 bucks for 8megs of memory? Today.... this is the price Sony charges right now.
yeah, now they DONT MAKE THEM ANYMORE, obviously it will not drop in price

guess why ide hhds are more expensive than their sata counterpart

and look at what u mentioned, there WERE alternatives, you didnt use it
look at microsoft, there are NO alternatives (at least anymore)

that's the difference

Top Bottom