• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cracks down on "unauthorized" Xbox 360 Storage Devices

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What was that someone...can't remember...Ken something (?) said about Microsoft going after PS2 with 360? ;)

GavinGT

Banned
gofreak said:
What was that someone...can't remember...Ken something (?) said about Microsoft going after PS2 with 360? ;)

That quote only gets dumber as time passes. At the time, he assumed PS3 sales would dwarf 360 sales from day 1.

web01

This is pretty fucked up love the way Sony / Nintendo handles this type of thing by just letting us use our own USB or SD cards.

Microsoft is taking the piss with the prices for proprietary memory cards and hardrives. This kinda stuff has to come back and hurt them eventually.

ymmv

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
That's a poor analogy, hard drives are a device which allows you to give microsoft more money. So it would actually be in their best interest to get everybody large capacity hard drives at low costs. This is what makes the whole situation very strange and confusing.

According to MS those Chinese 120GB drives on Ebay are fake, illegal, unlicensed products. Every cloned drive from Ebay takes away a sale from MS so I'm actually surprised they never tried to stop this. Until now it seems. MS takes making money *very serious*.

Alex

Wait , people are actually comparing Gamecube/Playstation memory card pricing from prior generations here?

...:lol It's really great some times just how far fans will go for their own delusions. It's even funnier when the actual pricing isn't the topic at hand, but the ability to use outside drives from other sources.

Maybe the defensive folks can try to find something to dig up some relic about PSX and N64 concerning third party options to try and spin it again.

Paracelsus

ymmv said:
According to MS those Chinese 120GB drives on Ebay are fake, illegal, unlicensed products. Every cloned drive from Ebay takes away a sale from MS so I'm actually surprised they never tried to stop this. Until now it seems. MS takes making money *very serious*.

Do you think they'll ever "block" those HDD? I'm stuck with a 20gb, but being with a Xenon model I must have my games installed (warranty expires in a year or so), nor I have 120 bucks to present to Microsoft, so that "solution" would be ideal.

Persona7 said:
This is why everyone hates Microsoft.

WRONG! Not everyone hates microsoft, so speak for yourself buddy..i personally happen to appreciate that there is a microsoft company because they have done ALOT for world in more ways then you obviously know about.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, the update is only for the cloned HDDs, not the BEVS one?

Also, why the fuck are people bringing PlayStation 2 into this? Might as well bring out floppy disks

Mr.Potato Head said:
WRONG! Not everyone hates microsoft, so speak for yourself buddy..i personally happen to appreciate that there is a microsoft company because they have done ALOT for world in more ways then you obviously know about.

That doesn't give them an excuse to behave unethically, which they have shown to have no qualms in doing, in all areas of their business.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
SealSqueal said:
That doesn't give them an excuse to behave unethically, which they have shown to have no qualms in doing, in all areas of their business.

:lol

Microsoft ( just like any other company ) exists to make money. If they can get money by selling overpriced HDDs, meaning that people out there are buying them. Then they will.

confused

Banned
SealSqueal said:

Unethically ? really? moreso than say Nike or McDonalds?

MS is alot of things but unethical because of inflated prices on accessories, really ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GavinGT said:
That quote only gets dumber as time passes. At the time, he assumed PS3 sales would dwarf 360 sales from day 1.

At the time I figured he was talking refering to various platform choices and in many ways he was correct. Sales are irrelevant here, these choices were made long before any system got out the gate.

shinshero

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

I think MS makes enough money as it is.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
The fact is that those Datel memorycards are not licensed by Microsoft, as "custom" harddrives are not either.

Accident

ymmv said:

Shit, i bought a 120GB drive from an Amazon third party seller for $90 back on July, the possibility of being fake never even crossed my mind, but the drive was named with chinese characters in the dashboard, Is there a way of knowing for sure that my hard drive is a fake one?

sinxtanx

Argh
Third party accessories has always been out there
They make it easier for people to use their console and strenghten percieved value
No third party accessories = people whine more in MS's general direction
Shot themselves in the foot and all that(I'm an expert)

This doesn't affect me in the slightest, since I don't have a 360, but it still seems like a very dick move from Microsoft, closing out some of their consumers saved content.

Sporty

Neo Member
I guess Microsoft can do no wrong in some peoples eyes....

Sony tries to stop 3rd party memory cards 'sales' last gen, makes it ok for Microsoft to disable and render worthless something their customers bought today...

I guess it makes since to some, to me both are douchey but one is far worse, (going after the customer not the company)

So by the logic of some here, if Sony punched you in the face, MS has the right to kick you in the balls and you better respect them for it....

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

wow what a ass licker :lol like MS finds it hard to make money

linkboy said:
Nyko made a PS2 memory card that was out about the time PS2 launched and was licensed by Sony (and was a pretty solid card too).

PS80516.jpg

This card was officially supported by Sony, I think it's the only 3rd Party card they did this for. A friend of a friend deal.

However, I've learned NEVER EVER EVER NEVER DON'T DO IT use a 3rd party memory device if you want to keep your saves for a long time. The ALL fail in the end or get corrupted by one new game.

jax (old)

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:

taking consumer rights a hundred steps back in the wrong direction

bill0527

:lol :lol :lol

I remember bitching recently about pretty much quitting my 360 and moving all my multi-plat digital and physical media purchases to my PS3 because I was out of the measly 13GB of hard drive space on my launch 360. I refuse to pay $140 for a 120GB hard drive when I purchased a 320GB hard drive for the PS3 for $55.

Then I got about a page and a half full of gaffers telling me to STFU about the price and linking me to pages of $60 120GB hard drives on ebay, but they were nothing more than those fucking western digital drives modified to fit in a 360 hard drive case. I'm not touching that shit with a 10-foot pole. And this is why.

so let me get this right. All them 120GB HDD's being sold on ebay for $40 are chinese clones right? They look just like the official product and I wanna buy one..

Burai

shitonmychest57
Alex said:
Wait , people are actually comparing Gamecube/Playstation memory card pricing from prior generations here?

...:lol It's really great some times just how far fans will go for their own delusions. It's even funnier when the actual pricing isn't the topic at hand, but the ability to use outside drives from other sources.

Maybe the defensive folks can try to find something to dig up some relic about PSX and N64 concerning third party options to try and spin it again.

It's early days yet. We haven't had the retarded "adjusted for inflation" argument yet. "Games aren't expensive! If you adjust for inflation, NES games used to cost $4million each!"

Korey

Keavy_Rain said:
I keep re-reading this post, and I want to say that he was trying to express a different idea than how it ended up...because otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

"While I feel bad about people who get their shit stolen, I feel like it's a necessary move for burglars. Bitch and moan all you want, but burglars really like to steal people's things."

Wait what?

Logically this wouldn't affected all the cloned drives because there has to be thousands of people who bought them not knowing what they actually were and just thinking they got a good deal. Although I am not quite sure we are dealing with a logical company at the moment.

onken

Keavy_Rain said:

Every time I read this post I die a little inside.

panda21

Mr.Potato Head said:

shitting up the world with crappy software? i am really grateful.

kitch9

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:

Blinded by the light of corporate bullshit........

kobashi100 said:
so let me get this right. All them 120GB HDD's being sold on ebay for $40 are chinese clones right? They look just like the official product and I wanna buy one..

Not all of them. Just don't buy them from Asia. I just bought a 120GB HDD off eBay for $48 from a seller in Grapevine, Texas and it was legit. The guy that owned it last didn't even clear his crap off the drive. Backward compatibility worked perfectly on it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
AnEternalEnigma said:
Not all of them. Just don't buy them from Asia. I just bought a 120GB HDD off eBay for $48 from a seller in Grapevine, Texas and it was legit. The guy that owned it last didn't even clear his crap off the drive. Backward compatibility worked perfectly on it.

Is BC some kind of litmus test which doesn't work on those chinese one's ? because it works for me. Great. :D

chandoog said:
Is BC some kind of litmus test which doesn't work on those chinese one's ? because it works for me. Great. :D

Back in the DIY thread we had a few weeks back, a bunch of people said that the drives that are cloned by the Asians don't have the backward compatibility working on it.

Polk

Teetris said:
So, the update is only for the cloned HDDs, not the BEVS one?
Well noone knows. Every non original hdd even BEVS uses the same hddss.bin (where SN is stored). So technically there's no reason why MS couldn't ban those drives.

confused

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Back in the DIY thread we had a few weeks back, a bunch of people said that the drives that are cloned by the Asians don't have the backward compatibility working on it.

Interesting, was there an explanation as to why not as well ?

ymmv

Banned
kobashi100 said:

If you see a foreign seller with a large inventory of these drives, then yes, they are most definitely cloned drives.

snap0212

They will do whatever they want to do because most of the people will accept it.

They will charge whatever they want to charge because most of the people will still buy it.

They will almost never keep a promise because most of the people forget about it after bitching a few days.

"They" is not just Microsoft... "they" is every company in the industy! That's pretty much what I experienced over the last years...

Gadfly said:
This is a bad move on part of Microsoft. I am embarrassed.
They are just stopping unsigned storage data being used, like hose datel memory cards announced the other month because they broke the storage key or whatever for memory cards.

Raist

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
You're right, all consoles should abolish all third-party accessories.

Totally!

And a one console future. That way, no competition and whoever will manufacture it will be able to do whatever they want!

Can't wait

edit: page 2 is even better. PS2 mem cards :lol

h3ro

Keavy_Rain said:

9.7/10

Dali

snap0212 said:
They will do whatever they want to do because most of the people will accept it.
Last time I checked most of the people were buying Wii's and an increasing number have picked up PS3's. They can't do whatever they want because people have other options.

They will charge whatever they want to charge because most of the people will still buy it.
*ahem* PS3 price drop *cough*

They will almost never keep a promise because most of the people forget about it after bitching a few days.
The one thing I can agree with. Except I think people have a longer memory than a few days.

"They" is not just Microsoft... "they" is every company in the industy! That's pretty much what I experienced over the last years...
I can agree with this too as long it's only applied using the idea that all companies break promises.

The 360 hardware is subsidised by the costs of selling accessories, you want the prices of the consoles to come down then this is one way to enable that. If you buy a 3rd party memory device you're not a Microsoft customer for that product. They don't need to support you, you'll be the first one to go crying to them for a repair when that device fucks up your console.

Paracelsus

ymmv said:
If you see a foreign seller with a large inventory of these drives, then yes, they are most definitely cloned drives.

Damn.

you want the prices of the consoles to come down then this is one way to enable that.

If I buy an HDD it means I ALREADY have the console.
Why should I care if they cannot drop the price because of me not buying their accessories?

you'll be the first one to go crying to them for a repair when that device fucks up your console.

The only device which fucked up 360s was the Nyko cooler crap thing, and nothing else.

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Keavy_Rain said:
Ahahahahaha.

Not even worthy of pity.

snap0212

Dali said:
Last time I checked most of the people were buying Wii's and an increasing number have picked up PS3's. They can't do whatever they want because people have other options.
Everyone bitched about the PS3’s high price when it launched. How many of those who said they wouldn’t go out any buy it day one did it anyways? A lot of them, I think.

Dali said:
*ahem* PS3 price drop *cough*
Microsoft is still charging way too much. Why? Because most of the people who use Wireless Internet will buy their adapter. If you want storage, you have to buy Microsoft’s product (I know there are ways to avoid buying that stuff, but the number of people who do that is pretty small, I think).

The price of the PS3 had to go down at some point. The system wasn’t selling very well but Sony needed to build up a bigger user base. They cut the price because they needed the sales. Because they saw that they cannot charge whatever they want. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t try to sell the PS3 at a high price.

I think we have to differentiate here. If we’re talking about accessories (where you don't really have any options), I think my statement is pretty much nails it. If we’re talking about the system itself, the company has to come towards the customer because he can decide just to buy the competitive product. So you’re right.

I hope we're not too off-topic here... :/

Paracelsus said:
If I buy an HDD it means I ALREADY have the console.
Why should I care if they cannot drop the price because of me not buying their accessories?

Larger install base, more games get made for your console.

Paracelsus said:
The only device which fucked up 360s was the Nyko cooler crap thing, and nothing else.

You are not representitive of the whole market.

Top Bottom