• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cracks down on "unauthorized" Xbox 360 Storage Devices

Cheerilee

dreamcastmaster said:
However, I've learned NEVER EVER EVER NEVER DON'T DO IT use a 3rd party memory device if you want to keep your saves for a long time. The ALL fail in the end or get corrupted by one new game.
That's not entirely true. A third party Dex Drive or similar device which allows you to copy your memory card to your PC is the absolute most reliable way to keep your saves for a long time, even more reliable than just using a first party memory card.

MikeDub said:
Logically this wouldn't affected all the cloned drives because there has to be thousands of people who bought them not knowing what they actually were and just thinking they got a good deal. Although I am not quite sure we are dealing with a logical company at the moment.
Logically, this wouldn't affect all the third party memory cards out there because there has to be thousands of people who bought them not knowing that they sometimes have quality issues and were just thinking they got a good deal.

confused said:
Interesting, was there an explanation as to why not as well ?
Xbox > Xbox360 backwards compatibility isn't hardware-based on some chip in the Xbox360, it's software-based, and that software is kept in a hidden folder on the hard drive. Arcade users, for instance, don't get backwards compatibility either. Clone drives don't usually have that folder. It's entirely possible for you to put that folder on a cloned drive manually, but most cloners don't think it's worth the bother.

Dabanton

kitch9 said:
Blinded by the light of corporate bullshit........

I think you just described most of GAF.

sleeping_dragon said:
seriously this is not a flame bait or anything, but it is true that the 360 dont have an inbuilt wireless adapter? i always thought they have everything similar to the ps3 out of the box beside Blu-ray.

You have the internet at your fingertips and you still ask that question.:lol

Yeah the 360 has no inbuilt wireless.

snap0212 said:
Everyone bitched about the PS3’s high price when it launched. How many of those who said they wouldn’t go out any buy it day one did it anyways? A lot of them, I think.

Microsoft is still charging way too much. Why? Because most of the people who use Wireless Internet will buy their adapter. If you want storage, you have to buy Microsoft’s product (I know there are ways to avoid buying that stuff, but the number of people who do that is pretty small, I think).

The price of the PS3 had to go down at some point. The system wasn’t selling very well but Sony needed to build up a bigger user base. They cut the price because they needed the sales. Because they saw that they cannot charge whatever they want. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t try to sell the PS3 at a high price.

I think we have to differentiate here. If we’re talking about accessories (where you don't really have any options), I think my statement is pretty much nails it. If we’re talking about the system itself, the company has to come towards the customer because he can decide just to buy the competitive product. So you’re right.

I hope we're not too off-topic here... :/

seriously this is not a flame bait or anything, but it is true that the 360 dont have an inbuilt wireless adapter? i always thought they have everything similar to the ps3 out of the box beside Blu-ray.

Scipius

People who willingly buy into Microsoft's anti-consumer business model should not be gaming.

You get what you pay for.

nli10

Paracelsus said:
Damn.

If I buy an HDD it means I ALREADY have the console.
Why should I care if they cannot drop the price because of me not buying their accessories?

Replacement 360 buying?

I'm still on my 1st 360, a 120GB that's coming up to it's first B'day. I'm glad I waited as I can uninstall enough that i'm not playing to ensure all my stuff fits easily.

I do really feel for my early adopter buddies with their tiny drives and no upgrade path though - the problem with the price structure is that it screws over those that bought the best machines earlier on the most - i.e. those that paid the most.

Personally I'd throw gamer points and/or live months with the new 250GB drives. That way you encourage people to spend more and to keep using the services. Even 1000 M$ and 3 months of live (something that'd cost MS practically nothing compared to the drive mark up) would show what you need the thing for and reward the long term customers.

2100 M$, 6 months live and the 250GB HD for say £150 would be overpriced for the normal HD market but a damn nice deal compared to the £1 per GB on offer at the moment.

chandoog said:
Is BC some kind of litmus test which doesn't work on those chinese one's ? because it works for me. Great. :D
BC isn't really a litmus test.

if BC doesn't work it's almost guaranteed to be cloned.

if BC works, it could still be cloned, but probably isn't.

Polk said:
Well noone knows. Every non original hdd even BEVS uses the same hddss.bin (where SN is stored). So technically there's no reason why MS couldn't ban those drives.
not every drive, lots of people don't use the public HDDSS.BIN, i used one from my brother's elite.

of course, depending on how they approach the revocation, it may not matter if the HDDSS.BIN is the public one or not.

confused said:
Interesting, was there an explanation as to why not as well ?
most cloners don't bother to waste precious time restoring the BC partition, since that's time they could be using to clone other drives, and that time is money, since more cloned drives = more money.

Woo-Fu

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You must have missed my post on the other site where you stalk me where I stated that EDGE giving Uncharted 2 a 9 made the game go from a rent to a buy for me.

Stalking? More like walking a dog with a plastic baggy around your hand, trying to keep the sidewalk safe for pedestrians. The mods around here have you on a tighter leash though. :)

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Actually, Sony's price of their memory cards at the time pushed me to get an 360 pro system over the arcade at the launch of the 360. I thought to myself that I was getting 20gigs AND HD cables for an extra $100 bucks so it was a steal.

At the time, I paid $30 for my HDTV cables for my PS2 and $25 for 8megs of memory for my PS2 and bought 2 of them so that was $80 bucks right there. 16megs of memory for $50 bucks or 20gigs for $100???? That made the decision super easy.

You have multplei responses excusing MS by saying "Sony dos it too!" (ten years ago..). Are you on their payroll, seriously...

Discuss the topic, stop with the toddler mentality of "he hit me first! waaaaa".

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

You sir, are scum....SCUUUUUM!.

ymmv

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:

It's the only console or handheld without built-in WiFi. It comes standard with the PS3, PSP, DS and Wii.

Timan

Developer
After seeing how Halo2 was last gen with the mods and stuff. I agree with ms locking down devices. But damn if their shit isn't over priced.

Panasonic cracked down on unauthorized batteries with the latest/shipping firmware for my camera. Run 1.2 firmware, and you can only use $60 Panasonic batteries, not $15 generics.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Threi said:
MICROSOOOOOOOFFFTT!
emot-argh.gif

:lol If gaf ever needed a third smiley this would be it.

ymmv said:
It's the only console or handheld without built-in WiFi. It comes standard with the PS3, PSP, DS and Wii.

But they were just following the very successful business model of the ps2! What else could they have done? What can they do now? MS doesn't really want to charge $100 for a wireless adapter, but they have no other choice. Blame Sony.

H_Prestige said:
But they were just following the very successful business model of the ps2! What else could they have done? What can they do now? MS doesn't really want to charge $100 for a wireless adapter, but they have no other choice. Blame Sony.
This thread makes my sarcasm detector RROD.

Polk

H_Prestige said:
Ok, I'll bite.
Why blame Sony?

Raistlin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Panasonic cracked down on unauthorized batteries with the latest/shipping firmware for my camera. Run 1.2 firmware, and you can only use $60 Panasonic batteries, not $15 generics.

wat

I bought a 120GB drive on eBay before I knew they could be cloned. I just assumed the things were cheaper in foreign markets. Silly me. When I found out the deal I took mine apart and, sure enough, no partition 2. I'm pretty sure my profile is on my Jasper's internal memory, but if they're going to lock out my saves, especially when they don't provide any easy way of backing the damn things up, that's a real dick move. There must be thousands of people who have no idea they're using cloned drives.

Polk

Scottlarock said:
unless this can somehow lead to easier piracy, I don't see why MS should bother, the market can't be that big.
It isn't probably that big but it isn't getting smaller.
I don't think that , they will probably ban specific serial numbers. It is stupid, but let's face it, it is not first and not last time that someone will protect their right to sell overpriced accessory.

linkboy

Scottlarock said:
unless this can somehow lead to easier piracy, I don't see why MS should bother, the market can't be that big.

Here's why MS is bothering

The biggest card they sell is a 512MB card for $30, Datal is selling a 2GB card for $39. That's bad for MS for two reasons

A) Makes MS's card look like a huge ripoff (which it is)

B) Causes MS to lose money

By removing the competition, MS ensures that if you need a memory card, you have to purchase their overpriced card

Win for MS, loss for the customer.

Fox Mulder

this is a pretty shitty move by MS that will only get worse if it includes ebay HDD's as well.

The only reason these things exist is because of MS's awful accessory gouging. If you have an unauthorized memory card or HDD, you're still likely using the money saved towards games for the console or on Live. How is MS losing anything.

Polk

bkfount said:
The only reason these things exist is because of MS's awful accessory gouging. If you have an unauthorized memory card or HDD, you're still likely using the money saved towards games for the console or on Live. How is MS losing anything.
It's not lose per se, just lost sale. And guess what. Not only consumers bought live/games on XBLA now they will be forced to buy those accessories again for bigger price. Why would MS think that's not good idea?
Not counting that MS just could they are just fighting with counterfitting and copy protection violatios (which they actually are).

freitax

Man people defending microsoft need to grow a fucking brain and understand that they are not defending themselves from sony fanboys, they are only hurting their rights as a consumer. Sony changed their policies because the consumer protested, if you guys keep defending microsoft it will only get WORST.

freitax said:
Man people defending microsoft need to grow a fucking brain and understand that they are not defending themselves from sony fanboys, they are only hurting their rights as a consumer. Sony changed their policies because the consumer protested, if you guys keep defending microsoft it will only get WORST.

But Sony defenders are just so vile, who can resist?

knitoe

It's seems every other day someone bitches a about this. Consoles are close systems. Makers can charge whatever they want. As consumer, you either buy or you don't. At this point in console life cycle Microsoft will not change. A, they are making money. B, don't want to piss off people who already paid for the stuff. C, get bad press for reversal of what they have been doing and saying. Only hope is their next console.

As for people saying, I bought it on eBay...Ignorance is not can excuse. You know the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.". Should have bought you stuff from reliably sellers. It same as buying fake watch, clothes, electronics and so on.

tino

Banned
I think its time for the journalists start calling bullshit on MS's HDD and WiFi Adopter prices. You know what this is? This is exactly like Nikon charging you 40 bucks for a lens hood and 20 bucks for a lens cap, and Sony charging you whatever for their branded HDMI wire.

You should buy after market just on principle.

knitoe said:
It's seems every other day someone bitches a about this. Consoles are close systems. Makers can charge whatever they want. As consumer, you either buy or you don't. At this point in console life cycle Microsoft will not change. A, they are making money. B, don't want to piss off people who already paid for the stuff. C, get bad press for reversal of what they have been doing and saying.

As for people saying, I bought it on eBay...Ignorance is not can excuse. You know the old saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.". Should have bought you stuff from reliably sellers. It same as buying fake watch, clothes, electronics and so on.

So Megacorp releases product with out-of-box functionality.

Owner purchases product and uses functionality as they see fit.

Megacorp discovers owner is using product in a way that is not as profitable for them.

Megacorp modifies product after-purchase to reduce functionality and make owner spend more money.

How the fuck is this not objectionable?

Dante

Mr.Potato Head said:
WRONG! Not everyone hates microsoft, so speak for yourself buddy..i personally happen to appreciate that there is a microsoft company because they have done ALOT for world in more ways then you obviously know about.

wow :lol

tino said:
I think its time for the journalists start calling bullshit on MS's HDD and WiFi Adopter prices. You know what this is? This is exactly like Nikon charging you 40 bucks for a lens hood and 20 bucks for a lens cap, and Sony charging you whatever for their branded HDMI wire.

You should buy after market just on principle.
Except with those examples you can buy third party versions of the items and not worry about Nikon creating an update making them useless. Hooray for the 21st century and the advent of big corporations telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

tino

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Except with those examples you can buy third party versions of the items and not worry about Nikon creating an update making them useless. Hooray for the 21st century and the advent of big corporations telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

That's why the journalists should start calling them bullshit publicly. When the Mother 3 english patch was released, Kotaku basically tell people to find a way to play the game. I see how problem with that.

Big corporation can't have the means to have so much control over people, just because they can hire lawyer to write 100-page DMCA EULA or whatever.

SealSqueal said:
That doesn't give them an excuse to behave unethically, which they have shown to have no qualms in doing, in all areas of their business.

Wow this is like the other side to the dumb ass comment from Keavy Rain.

Mama Robotnik said:
So Megacorp releases product with out-of-box functionality.

Owner purchases product and uses functionality as they see fit.

Megacorp discovers owner is using product in a way that is not as profitable for them.

Megacorp modifies product after-purchase to reduce functionality and make owner spend more money.

How the fuck is this not objectionable?

Anything's objectionable. It's capitalism, don't buy it if you don't support it.

Vercingetorix said:
Anything's objectionable. It's capitalism, don't buy it if you don't support it.

Yeah but no. Its beyond "don't buy it" when the megacorp in question can and will reduce functionality in an already purchased product.

The only way the dont-buy-it conter works is if the purchaser can travel in time.

Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah but no. Its beyond "don't buy it" when the megacorp in question can and will reduce functionality in an already purchased product.

The only way the dont-buy-it conter works is if the purchaser can travel in time.

If you don't buy said product, evil amoral corporation can't mess with it.

If people don't know that console manufacturers have this kind of power over their products, then they were uninformed and made and uninformed purchase. Their fault and noone else's.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
chandoog said:
Is BC some kind of litmus test which doesn't work on those chinese one's ? because it works for me. Great. :D

It's not. BC is stored on a separate partition of a drive, and can easily be put in place when a drive is being cloned. Most of the cloners out there don't bother since it takes extra time and most people don't care about BC.

Long story short, BC can be added to a cloned drive, so it is not any kind of barometer. A cheap drive without BC is definitely a cloned drive. A cheap drive with BC can still be a cloned drive.

Edit - Beaten.

ashism

MWS Natural said:
Wow this is like the other side to the dumb ass comment from Keavy Rain.
Definitely some backward ass defenses on both sides. Some of you guys really need to reread what you wrote before you hit "submit reply".

Anony

daycru said:
I'm a little worried, I bought my 120 GB HDD from eBay, how can I tell if it's legit?
it's fake

and everyone, it's called a monopoly, there's no reason microsoft cant charge 200$ for a 120gb hdd tmr if they wanted to, there's no competition THEN everyone would start complaining for real

daycru said:
I'm a little worried, I bought my 120 GB HDD from eBay, how can I tell if it's legit?
I seriously think the HDD problem is so deep now that they just can't lock them out, memory cards are a new thing since they been hacked open but the HDD, lots of people will probably have a cheap HDD without knowing it's a clone.

Redd

Oh no if my 120hd I got used for $72 off of Ebay from Texas stops working after the new Update then I'm done with my 360 until I can get another one under $75. Put far to much time and MS points to get screwed over because I didn't want to pay to much for a new one.

Top Bottom