• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cracks down on "unauthorized" Xbox 360 Storage Devices

Polk

Diablohead said:
I seriously think the HDD problem is so deep now that they just can't lock them out, memory cards are a new thing since they been hacked open but the HDD, lots of people will probably have a cheap HDD without knowing it's a clone.
Sure, there are some people who don't know that they have counterfitted hdd. But really, how naive is to believe that you can buy hundreds of genuine hardware for 1/4th of a price from China?

pestul

inner-G said:
Easy fix: Keep the network cable unplugged from now on.
Yeah, but a new release game could do you in later on.

I won't even hide the fact that I bought a flashed BEVS drive off Ebay (had two 20GB so just installed it in the unused case). I thought it was the only sensible way to go.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
pestul said:
Yeah, but a new release game could do you in later on.

I won't even hide the fact that I bought a flashed BEVS drive off Ebay (had two 20GB so just installed it in the unused case). I thought it was the only sensible way to go.

Did you forget where you are?

Slavik81

Vercingetorix said:
If you don't buy said product, evil amoral corporation can't mess with it.

If people don't know that console manufacturers have this kind of power over their products, then they were uninformed and made and uninformed purchase. Their fault and noone else's.
Unfortunately, for you, the entire system is based on trust. It's impossible to buy anything without trusting the seller. The buyer always knows that their trust could be betrayed, but it's impossible to live your life without ever trusting anyone. If the seller betrays that trust, they then warn others and no longer trust the seller for future transactions.

You seem to be telling people that warning others not to trust a seller is something wrong and that it shouldn't exist in the capitalist society. In fact, it's the lifeblood of it. That's why product reviews are so important. It helps future buyers make a more informed purchasing decision.

The seller knowing that the buyers will tell others that they were screwed over also helps protect the original buyers. The seller is then less likely to screw over previous buyers because it will immediately affect their current sales to other, new buyers.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah but no. Its beyond "don't buy it" when the megacorp in question can and will reduce functionality in an already purchased product.

The only way the dont-buy-it conter works is if the purchaser can travel in time.

Microsoft do have history though. They sent a mandatory update to every Xbox to stop it from booting to a useful menu:

xbox360_guiderev_02.jpg

to booting to a page full of adverts:

360nxe1.jpg

Not to mention them removing marketplace functionality from Live Silver. The idea of moving the established goalposts after you've bought a console in order to sell you more stuff makes me feel pretty uncomfortable to be honest.

Especially when breaking these memory cards does nothing to protect developers or consumers.

soco

Burai said:
Not to mention them removing marketplace functionality from Live Silver. The idea of moving the established goalposts after you've bought a console in order to sell you more stuff makes me feel pretty uncomfortable to be honest.

what marketplace functionality did they remove from silver?

That's very petty on their part, particularly if they start banning HDDs. Particularly when both other makers are being more aggressive.

I actually bought one of these overpriced official 120GB HDDs but I really don't get people defending or condoning this. Is it out of spite or just a sign of genuine brain damage?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Man I miss those 360 blades. I wish we could just revert back to that dashboard with the ability to have the NXE guide button

Wario64 said:
Man I miss those 360 blades. I wish we could just revert back to that dashboard with the ability to have the NXE guide button
keep dreaming, because that's the only place its going to happen unfortunately.

Polk said:
Sure, there are some people who don't know that they have counterfitted hdd. But really, how naive is to believe that you can buy hundreds of genuine hardware for 1/4th of a price from China?
did you miss all of the PSP threads where people are surprised that their brand new Memory Stick Pro Duo they got for a great price on Ebay is fake?

knitoe

The Faceless Master said:
did you miss all of the PSP threads where people are surprised that their brand new Memory Stick Pro Duo they got for a great price on Ebay is fake?
Who's fault is that? Sony?

If I buy Rolex watch, LV purse and so on for 1/8, 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 or etc. from unknown seller (ebay, cart on corner, off back of truck) and find out it's fake, I should complain to their respective company that because their products are expensive I got ripe into buying fakes?

Burai

shitonmychest57
soco said:
what marketplace functionality did they remove from silver?

The ability to download demos for the first 7 days of release.

If I buy Rolex watch, LV purse and so on for 1/8, 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 or etc. from unknown seller (ebay, cart on corner, off back of truck) and find out it's fake, I should complain to their respective company that because their products are expensive I got ripe into buying fakes?

Does Rolex track you down and smash your watch with a hammer?

knitoe said:

i wasn't assigning fault or blame dude, just pointing out that yes, people are that ill informed and naive.

people expect Rolex and LV bootlegs. there is a long standing history and expectation that those high priced fashion items and iconic status symbols will have knockoffs.

people don't have the same expectations when it comes to other things, like memory cards or videogame accessories.

Burai said:
they were doing that before the NXE.

Oh, NeoGAF. I love how you all went nuts over my little statement. Let me offer you all my point-of-view on this issue in greater detail.

You all seem to think that the Xbox 360 is an open platform and you are free to use any product you see fit on it. Microsoft sees it as a closed platform, so they feel you should only buy things that they make or approve of on their platform.

Its their right to do this as a company. Does it suck for you? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? Well, there are ways around this, but you're not going to like them, as they involve you caving on buying official Microsoft products, not using Xbox Live, or selling your 360 and game collection so you can buy a PS3.

I'm not saying what Microsoft is doing is right; it sucks for the consumer and I hate to see us lose our rights, but its Microsoft's sandbox and they get to make the rules. Its a shame the only real options we have are ones that hurt us, but that's the world we helped create as consumers. We supported a Microsoft console, knowing full-well how they operate and now we're bitching and moaning because they're doing what we knew they were going to do as soon as a worthy competitor threatened their dominance.

I'm not fully blaming you guys, as Microsoft had the option to not be assholes, but previous behavior dictates future actions. Guess I'll be seeing a fair number of you on PSN here soon.

Keavy_Rain said:
Oh, NeoGAF. I love how you all went nuts over my little statement. Let me offer you all my point-of-view on this issue in greater detail.

You all seem to think that the Xbox 360 is an open platform and you are free to use any product you see fit on it. Microsoft sees it as a closed platform, so they feel you should only buy things that they make or approve of on their platform.

Its their right to do this as a company. Does it suck for you? Yes. Is there anything you can do about it? Well, there are ways around this, but you're not going to like them, as they involve you caving on buying official Microsoft products, not using Xbox Live, or selling your 360 and game collection so you can buy a PS3.

I'm not saying what Microsoft is doing is right; it sucks for the consumer and I hate to see us lose our rights, but its Microsoft's sandbox and they get to make the rules. Its a shame the only real options we have are ones that hurt us, but that's the world we helped create as consumers. We supported a Microsoft console, knowing full-well how they operate and now we're bitching and moaning because they're doing what we knew they were going to do as soon as a worthy competitor threatened their dominance.

I'm not fully blaming you guys, as Microsoft had the option to not be assholes, but previous behavior dictates future actions. Guess I'll be seeing a fair number of you on PSN here soon.
I don't know whether I should be awestruck or disgusted by your dedication to your ridiculous statement.

knitoe

Burai said:

Does Rolex track you down and smash your watch with a hammer?
Does Microsft track you down and smash your xbox? Does Apple track you down and smash your unlock iPhone? No, they release new firmware to stop you when you contact/connect to them. Don't get on Live and don't upgrade.

Shins

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:

See, that's weird. My favorite game is Morrowind. I really just love the open world. The first time I stumbled onto Vivic... wow, what a moment that was!

wow, the comments on major nelson's blog are pretty scathing, i've never seen this much vitrol from xbox live users towards MS before, and the best part about it is you can see how many of the upset people are dedicated xbl users by their accompanying gamerscore!

lots of people in the 5 digit range!

Fox Mulder

wow, the comments on major nelson's blog are pretty scathing, i've never seen this much vitrol from xbox live users towards MS before, and the best part about it is you can see how many of the upset people are dedicated xbl users by their accompanying gamerscore!

well they have a point. Making this change after the fact is kind of messed up, especially considering how many users will never get on a MS blog to read about this fine print. MS is only going to hype this as a twitter/facebook update, instead of it being a losing your saves/profile update. If MS is allowed to flip a switch to block whatever peripherals they wish, why not go after Datel legally for circumventing their 3rd party policy or pressure retailers to stop carrying it? Fucking over current 360 owning customers who simply bought the better and cheaper datel device at walmart or wherever is pretty bad.

There's also many people on there wondering if MS will actually go after the HDD's, which I believe will be a bigger issue than the memory card. People have been buying them on ebay for years and now MS might choose to cut them off.

Pretty shitty of MS, and I think they have a right to be angry.

Rad Agast

No shit, take me for example. Three 360s with too many games to count (I seriously lost count and don't remember my entire collection at the moment). I got a 120 drive to go with my new arcade so I can enjoy ODST, FM3 and all the other great multiplats coming out this holiday season. If this update affects my drive I will be pissed.

To the guys claiming MS makes their money off the accessories, why the hell do I have to worry about this? I already have 10 wireless pads, two fighting sticks and an MS wireless wheel.

To the Sony warriors out there, don't bother. I already have two PS3s.

Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.

Dang this is a horrible opinion.

AzureNightmareXE said:
I don't know whether I should be awestruck or disgusted by your dedication to your ridiculous statement.
How is it ridiculous?

Microsoft is a business out to protect its own interests. You may not like it and hopefully the anger expressed by the people on these boards and on Major Nelson's blog will convince Microsoft to come up with a solution that is satisfactory to all involved, but the fact that you are shocked by this shocks me.

The last time we got pissed over an issue with MS consoles everyone got free Arcade games and a warranty extension. Just be grateful you have forewarning and did not find out about this after installing the update. Hopefully MS will allow users to trade in their now unsupported peripherals for a credit towards official peripherals and/or drop the ridiculous price on their hard drives.

By the way, I refuse to defend the $100 price tag on the wireless adapter, 20 and 60GB HDD's, or the $150 price tag on the 120GB HDD. That shit is ridiculous, but is why we're getting this patch and its also why MS sells you 12 months of XBL Gold for $50. You have nowhere else to go and no other options if you want to play their exclusive content and they know you want to play their exclusive content, so until you grow some balls, decide that Halo and Gears of War aren't worth this shit and support the competition they'll continue to do this.

dablemont

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:
While I feel bad for those who will be affected by this, I feel like this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part. Bitch and moan all you want about the price, those hard drives and memory units help Microsoft make money.
Why should I care about M$ making money? M$ doesn't care about overpricing that hardware for me.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Vercingetorix said:
Anything's objectionable. It's capitalism, don't buy it if you don't support it.

How I see it. I have a 20GB Pro I got in 2006 that only has 5.2GB free (after deleting unimportant data). I REFUSE to buy Microsoft's overpriced HDD, so soon enough I'll be getting multiplatform downloadable games on PS3.

HoRNS456

Banned
I almost bought a cheap HDD a couple of times, but I didn't. I'd be pissed off and threatening everyone if I did.

On the other hand, the dozen movies or so that I'd buy off of the marketplace doesn't happen anymore. I have no space, so I find other means to renting movies...

dfyb

Banned
bkfount said:
well they have a point. Making this change after the fact is kind of messed up, especially considering how many users will never get on a MS blog to read about this fine print. MS is only going to hype this as a twitter/facebook update, instead of it being a losing your saves/profile update. If MS is allowed to flip a switch to block whatever peripherals they wish, why not go after Datel legally for circumventing their 3rd party policy or pressure retailers to stop carrying it? Fucking over current 360 owning customers who simply bought the better and cheaper datel device at walmart or wherever is pretty bad.

There's also many people on there wondering if MS will actually go after the HDD's, which I believe will be a bigger issue than the memory card. People have been buying them on ebay for years and now MS might choose to cut them off.
but none of these were ever licensed by microsoft, yeah? so the people were buying unlicensed hardware.

how is this any different than cracking down on game piracy?

MS has every right to do this -- people just need to realize that if they want to stick with microsoft's 360, they'll probably have to stick with microsoft's douche policy/pricing and shouldn't be surprised when MS enforces it.

pestul

D4Danger said:
Did you forget where you are?
Did you forget how many posts on various threads throughout this very forum were advocating this method and were subsequently not closed for breach of terms?

MMaRsu

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
It really is a golden age, isn't it?

You purchase the console and use it as you see fit. But should the functionality you apply be unforeseen and unprofitable for the manufacturing megacorp (and I'm not talking about piracy), they label it as "unauthorized" and remove said functionality from your property. They neuter your property's functionality, with zero benefit to the owner.

I can't think of any other industry that gets away with this shit. And especially cannot fathom another industry that has apologists for it.

So true :lol

Sysgen

When Preview Program members start receiving the Xbox 360 system update next week, one of the changes is that unauthorized Memory Units will no longer work with the Xbox 360. If you’ve moved your profile or saved games onto one to “back it up,” you’d better move it back onto an authorized Xbox 360 storage device prior to taking the update. If you continue to use an unauthorized Memory Unit after the update, you will not be able to access your stored profile or saved games.

There better be a warning to the user prior to accepting this update because unless these people using these are cheating some how then I've never seen such a bigger bullshit, insensitive decision ever.

Yoritomo

Keavy_Rain said:
You have nowhere else to go and no other options if you want to play their exclusive content and they know you want to play their exclusive content, so until you grow some balls, decide that Halo and Gears of War aren't worth this shit and support the competition they'll continue to do this.

I don't even own a PS3 and I completely agree. Pay for play online, XID, high hardware failure rate, locked online networks, and a culture that pushes for companies to charge for content that has traditionally been free, are all pretty terrible things for the consumer.

Yet I own 2 Xboxes dozens of games and have a $330 MS compatible racing wheel on the way cause I love playing forza.

dfyb said:
but none of these were ever licensed by microsoft, yeah? so the people were buying unlicensed hardware.

how is this any different than cracking down on game piracy?

MS has every right to do this -- people just need to realize that if they want to stick with microsoft's 360, they'll probably have to stick with microsoft's douche policy/pricing and shouldn't be surprised when MS enforces it.

Here another analogy, Microsoft dont see any royalties from the sale of 3rd party memory acessories. They have developed the system and should be able to maximise thier return on that system to continue to make more systems.

Which is the argument a lot of Gaffers use against Gamestops uses game sales...

Developers dont see any royalties from the sale of 2nd hand games. They have developed the game and should be able to maximise thier return on that game to continue to make more games.

Korey

Would this be akin to Apple "patching out" support for all unauthorized headphones and forcing iPod owners to use Apple earbuds?

I hate to say it but it looks like as more and more electronics (music players, phones, and now consoles) come with patchable firmwares, this is something we're gonna have to get used to in the future.

What it comes down to is that this is a douchey move by Microsoft, and a horrible precedent to set, but it's certainly not illegal. They didn't spend all that money creating the 360 so that other entities could start making money off of their R&D.

Linkified

Well I now need a bigger 360 HDD from the 120gb as now mine as the tendancy to not like to play games from the disk, so I have really two options here in the UK by the Forza 3 Super Elite or the MW2 Super Elite. Yes £250 is a lot, but I'm probably going to buy it anyway.

Keavy_Rain said:
Oh come the fuck on.

Crewnh said:
Oh come the fuck on.

I don't get why people are being so outraged about other users being able to see Microsoft's point of view. They aren't saying they like it, or agree with it, they're just saying that they can see why Microsoft wants to do it.

Being able to understand things from more than one point of view is an important skill that not a lot of people I meet in real life seem to understand. So I guess I shouldn't expect to find it on the internet either.

The trick for any company is to find a balance between pleasing it's audience and screwing them over. I think we can all relate to that.

Slavik81

dfyb said:
So then they should have been complaining right from the very release of the 360, rather than only complaining now.

Great. I'm all for more criticism.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Korey said:
I wonder why they're specifically targeting memory cards, seems kind of random. Unless there's something I'm missing and memory cards are a large part of the piracy scene?

there's an actual company (Datel) selling them at retail. The cloned HDDs are more of an online only thing that they can't really target, or fuck over.

Quasar

alr1ghtstart said:
there's an actual company (Datel) selling them at retail. The cloned HDDs are more of an online only thing that they can't really target, or fuck over.

I'm not sure why that would bother them given their experience with Windows Genuine Advantage.

Quixzlizx

confused said:
Last generation I paid 40 euros for an 8MB PS2 card. This gen I got my 120 GB Hdd free with my console and bought a 512MB MU for 40 also. Sure compared to other industries storage in gaming is expensive. But compared to gaming prices it isn't as bad as some people would like to make you believe.

What.

Top Bottom