• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Ben

Banned
ymmv said:
Or depressive if you're not at all interested in Kinect.

I don't own one, and likely won't until I can get a cheap one, but their dedication to it is still impressive. Had it not been a success, we probably wouldn't have seen a lot of these games, but hey ho.

skyfinch

Would love to see more "non-kinect" games, but since I do have a kinect and only used it 3 times since launch, I don't mind having the bigger selection of games.

Prefer games such as Forza 4, where the kinect is an option. Can't wait to use the head tracking.

AiTM

Banned
Its official. MS is content with leaving all hardcore "real" game to 3rd parties, and having their tentpole Halo release every year. Other than that, keep throwing Kinect shit on the wall until something sticks.

MS you are so very lucky you introduced achievements and have the best gaming controller made, because otherwise I would play everything on PS3. Next generation tho, I may sit out on them.

DSN2K

looks to me like I'm done with MS this Gen, Kinect does nothing for me...making their current focus worthless to me.

Marleyman

Banned
Keep fully supporting 3rd party titles and bring out some interesting Kinect games as well as a surprise or two for the hardcore audience and I will be pleased.

Mohonky

DSN2K said:
looks to me like I'm done with MS this Gen, Kinect does nothing for me...making their current focus worthless to me.
Pretty much. I cant even use kinect because of my room, so looks like ms is just releasing a whole bunch of stuff i couldnt play even ifi wanted too. Being that my 360 is usually my primary console of choice, i am finding the ms commitment to provide any genuine reason to stick to the platform really low right now

KAL2006

Banned
AiTM said:
Its official. MS is content with leaving all hardcore "real" game to 3rd parties, and having their tentpole Halo release every year. Other than that, keep throwing Kinect shit on the wall until something sticks.

MS you are so very lucky you introduced achievements and have the best gaming controller made, because otherwise I would play everything on PS3. Next generation tho, I may sit out on them.

This is why they are doing this, they know no one will switch from 360 because people are now attached to their live accounts, who wants to leave their achievements, friends and digital games, it is too late to switch now, the hardcore players are basically chained to the 360, and making hardcore games won't increase console sales much, MS want to get a wider audience with casual games and they know hardcore games can't abandon 360 because of their live accounts. Basically MS have left hardcore games to multiplatform developers, and annual releases of the standard core franchises like Halo and Forza. Sony will try to persuade gamers to switch to PS3 by pumping out tons of hardcore exclusives but I doubt it makes a difference now as it is too late into the generation, however in the end this still benefits Sony as they have been creating many established franchises and studios which should help them have a nice catalog of IPs for the next generation.

pulga

Banned
Hey guys I'm getting really worried Microsoft will ignore Kinect at E3 this year. Do you think Kinect will have a presence at the show? I'm really hoping to dust off my Kinect, since Kinect really is an amazing piece of hardware. Kinect is the greatest gift the Kinect-based gods have bestowed upon the Kinect-starved masses.

Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect

duk

Banned
they already have the core til end of this gen, they need to focus on new opportunities ala kinect to set it up for next gen.

there's no way 720 is coming anytime earlier than fall 2013 with the way 360/kinect is still selling.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Rygar 8 Bit said:
Can we sit down to watch the MS press conference? Or do we have to stand 6 feet away from our screens and wave our arms wildly?

Wave our arms wildly? That's for casuals!! We'll will be sitting on our couches twiddling our thumbs furiously, that's what makes us hardcore.

The lack of good Non-Kinect 1st party games + exclusives on the 360 is making me question what Microsoft's direction is here. Once I build a high-end PC this year for 3rd party titles, what's the incentive to keep buying stuff for my 360? At least Sony is kicking all type of ass on the 1st/2nd party front, and if Nintendo comes through with their console, I just don't see what Microsoft's plans are.

I take it they're pretty much just coasting the rest of this gen because people are stuck to the 360 brand anyway?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MS really are taking a risk betting so heavy on Kinect.

I still see no reason to believe that its a versatile enough technology to feature in such a large percentage of their output. It's a fine solution for certain things, and the initial roll-out worked well because it was laser focussed on a particular sort of audience and promoted very well.

But, its just not a great fit for everything and I think that the more they try to spread out demographically, the smaller their returns will be.

Interesting though that Nintendo seem to be taking the opposite tack in making a bid for the hardcore this E3... strange days.

Flame me all you want, but I'm seeing wayyyyy too much Kinect for my tastes. I know MS wants to make this E3 all about the motion sensing add-on but I couldn't give a crap less about what they produce for it.

Just give me the regular 360 stuff and wow me with it.

Mohonky

duk said:
they already have the core til end of this gen, they need to focus on new opportunities ala kinect to set it up for next gen.

there's no way 720 is coming anytime earlier than fall 2013 with the way 360/kinect is still selling.
Thing is, with absolutely shit all studios or new IPs, if MS were to launch a new console, would tey actually have any software to make it worthwhile? On current form, Sony wuld be the console i would be looking at.....

KAL2006

Banned
Clear said:
MS really are taking a risk betting so heavy on Kinect.

The risk isn't that high, in fact it makes perfect sense what they are doing, why make high budget hardcore games when most hardcore players already own a 360 and there is enough multiplatform hardcore games to feed the hardcore. Kinect sold like crazy and it makes sense for them to make compelling games for it. It is obvious MS through a lot of money towards Kinect games, they are probably publishing many of those Kinect games. Once there are tons of compelling games for Kinect, more casuals will be all over Kinect and that is what MS are looking for, selling to the casual market.

EDIT: most hardcore players don't notice MS lack of exclusive hardcore games, they didn't have that many exclusive hardcore games, but most people don't care they are satisfied with the next COD, Assassins Creed and etc, when there are tons of multiplatform hardcore games it is hard to tell 360 is lacking exclusive harcore games. Hell I bet this years E3 many people won't care or notice, they will show a gameplay video of Modern Warfare 3 at the MS conference and everyone will forget about lack of exclusives

duk

Banned
Mohonky said:
Thing is, with absolutely shit all studios or new IPs, if MS were to launch a new console, would tey actually have any software to make it worthwhile? On current form, Sony wuld be the console i would be looking at.....

of course they will, they will buy their way just like with the start of the 360

chris0701

Mohonky said:

I think why MS can still stands well on market has told you how the first-party counts.

Glad you mentioned Sony, the best example that one console maker can put so many great 1st party titles but only results in comparable sales output.

Dabanton

MightyHedgehog said:
So much anger and fear for a rumor thread...

It's almost like clockwork in these threads.

We know next to nothing about most of the games and yet some people teeter on meltdown territory.

derFeef

watership said:
I hope Forza World turns out to be something unqiue, and not just Test Drive Unlimited with real cars.
TDU has real cars, but the physics are absymal and the game is bloated with stuff racing fans do not care about. An open world game with the focus on racing, good physics, lots of customization, huge online mode. That would get me exciting. Kind of like the concept of Burnout Paradise.

statham

finally more kinect games, its like they copied nintendo too closely with the long droughts. many of those kinect titles if true sound like they could be fun.

watership

derFeef said:
TDU has real cars, but the physics are absymal and the game is bloated with stuff racing fans do not care about. An open world game with the focus on racing, good physics, lots of customization, huge online mode. That would get me exciting. Kind of like the concept of Burnout Paradise.

My mistake. I played the first one so long ago i don't remember it having real cars. If It was a collection of open world areas, like the best roads in the world from Top Gear or something like that, it would be a dream.

Dabanton said:
It's almost like clockwork in these threads.

We know next to nothing about most of the games and yet some people teeter on meltdown territory.

If there was an AAA title out there in which motion control wasn't a gimmick but enhanced the title then I'm sure people wouldn't react so harshly. As it stands I'm pretty sure a complete and utter lack of non-kinect fist party titles is not what the majority of 360 owners want to see.

TheOddOne

Seems like that Forza World game was fast-tracked, so dunno what we will see of it. I hope it had a healty development time.

Mohonky said:
Thing is, with absolutely shit all studios or new IPs, if MS were to launch a new console, would tey actually have any software to make it worthwhile?

They have at least 12 internal studios at the moment and they've invested in some 20 new retail IPs this generation - pretty much the same number of new IPs as Sony. Unlike Sony, however, they don't own most of them, but they do own plenty, including some of the big hitters and a lot of old stuff not used in this generation. They've also proven on numerous occasions that they can make big hits out of completely new properties so owning already successful IPs is not crucial to them. Most importantly, their software sells, even Kinect software that some people here don't like. So what exactly are we talking about?

XeroSauce

Lots of Ubisoft. Don't know how I feel about that.

lol @ Halo

The whole Kinect trend leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Half of that list is Kinect? Fuck that.

Cmagus

ugh luckily their XBLA doesn't disappoint that bad the rest I can't think of one thing I really care about on that list and I have no interest in Kinect so we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom