• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Abdiel

Interesting, cheers for that.

Thanks Abdiel :D

Always love hearing retail info :)

No problem guys. I'd post those same inventory charts again, but after all the concerns the first time I put them up, I'm trying to cover myself more effectively. Haha

But, yeah. I'm not saying the PS4 is moving at light speed velocity, it's not selling out in 1-2 day periods anymore. It *is* still selling out at almost every store within a week, typically. The X1 generally makes 2-3 weeks to clear smaller shipment numbers, and never really empties out. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had diverted a LOT of stock for the March/April push. It's been selling consistently well since mid-March, with very little delay on resupply.

I just see MS in a difficult spot regarding these numbers... Eating those discounts at the various retailers, on top of bundling in their biggest publicity game thus far... There's no way they can go back to full price here in the US. Some consumers that were completely unaware would buy it, but c'mon, we live in the age of price matching apps and smart phones. Finding out the console was $50 less with the game included, most consumers are not going to be willing to pay the full cost again.

No problem guys. I'd post those same inventory charts again, but after all the concerns the first time I put them up, I'm trying to cover myself more effectively. Haha

But, yeah. I'm not saying the PS4 is moving at light speed velocity, it's not selling out in 1-2 day periods anymore. It *is* still selling out at almost every store within a week, typically. The X1 generally makes 2-3 weeks to clear smaller shipment numbers, and never really empties out. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had diverted a LOT of stock for the March/April push. It's been selling consistently well since mid-March, with very little delay on resupply.

I just see MS in a difficult spot regarding these numbers... Eating those discounts at the various retailers, on top of bundling in their biggest publicity game thus far... There's no way they can go back to full price here in the US. Some consumers that were completely unaware would buy it, but c'mon, we live in the age of price matching apps and smart phones. Finding out the console was $50 less with the game included, most consumers are not going to be willing to pay the full cost again.

What's interesting to me is that the XB1 seems to be back up to $499 at most stores now

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso..._clickid=5093ec62-e5e1-4ae9-1264-000057759ef7

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...ice=c&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID18041589&KPID=18041589

http://www.target.com/p/xbox-one-co...sku=15220458&gclid=CL2is8HE-r0CFQqEfgod614A1g

http://xbox.microsoftstore.com/stor...itsem_Microsoft US_google_PLA - Xbox Consoles

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...kwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CJruocPE-r0CFQlafgodZHYAEg

So as you said it will really curtail demand with all those deals in March for $450 for the same thing

Clearly MS made an offer to retailers to price reduce to try and improve their numbers

I can only imagine what they'll sell in April as PS4 is going to likely decrease too but I can't fathom how much XB1 goes down

Hmm...thats very good to know Thanks Abidel!

Im calling it now, PS4 will outsell the X1 by ~100,000 in April.

jaypah

Some aren't as given to wishful thinking as others.

Look at Microsoft - not just the Xbox division - and it's hard to believe that they're capable of turning the system around so dramatically. They're already brought out their "big guns". Advertisement? Plenty of it. Bundles and prices drops (unofficially) for "the biggest game of the generation"? Still lost in their home territory. Policy changes? Too many to name. Replacing the old "suits" with the new, saavy "true gamer" executives? Done and done.

What's left? I mean, really. There's this notion that Microsoft has been "playing dumb" this whole time but boy oh boy, just you wait. You'll see. Microsoft has a trick up their sleeve. They always do! And when they finally reveal this secret plan, the competition is doomed. I just don't see it, especially when you take into account what Sony might do. Heck, what if Nintendo has a trick up their sleeves? Wii-U drops to $200 and then we have a situation where a PS4 plus Wii-U is only 100 bucks more than an Xbox One...

I guess it depends on where the talking point lies. Some people think that MS can catch Sony. I don't see that as a realistic possibility. Anything can happen but I don't see it. Then there are other people who merely think that MS can pick their sales up. Sometimes they all get lumped together.

ZehDon

I feel that this has been overlooked:
Has Microsoft previously broken out Android licensing from the rest of the devices division?
Q4aBCfL.png
They don't usually break it down like this. In fact, they've been using the Android Licencing revenue to mask the extensive loses of the Xbox brand for quite a while. This break down would suggest that they're no longer looking to mask Xbox loses - which, to me, would suggest they're not expecting any loses to report. So, if they're rolling out the information like this, I think an official price cut is off the books, at least for this year. Xbox simply cannot survive another generation of on-going loses - the major shareholders won't let it.

What's interesting to me is that the XB1 seems to be back up to $499 at most stores now

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso..._clickid=5093ec62-e5e1-4ae9-1264-000057759ef7

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...ice=c&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID18041589&KPID=18041589

http://www.target.com/p/xbox-one-co...sku=15220458&gclid=CL2is8HE-r0CFQqEfgod614A1g

http://xbox.microsoftstore.com/stor...itsem_Microsoft US_google_PLA - Xbox Consoles

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...kwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CJruocPE-r0CFQlafgodZHYAEg

So as you said it will really curtail demand with all those deals in March for $450 for the same thing

Clearly MS made an offer to retailers to price reduce to try and improve their numbers

I can only imagine what they'll sell in April as PS4 is going to likely decrease too but I can't fathom how much XB1 goes down
110K XBO April NPD, calling it now.

I have never heard of a system increasing its price in any gen but this one.

Biker19

Banned

Agreed. I remember Sony doing the same thing with PS3 back in 2007. They discontinued the 20 GB PS3 models while lowering the 60 GB models by $100. Then when the 80 GB models came, they raised their price right back to $600 while discontinuing the 60 GB models. Turns out that the 60 GB models were a clearance price drop.

Difference is, is that Smartphones, Tablets, etc. weren't as big back in 2006-2007 like from 2010 to today.

110K XBO April NPD, calling it now.

I have never heard of a system increasing its price in any gen but this one.

Sony did it with PS3. See my reply to Abdiel above.

Abdiel

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I've heard from other stores that people come in, see it at that price again, and literally scoff. "It was so and so price all last month!"

I know people have said that MS and Sony don't make major decisions on 'winning' a month's NPD, etc... But I have to wonder if that's true. Winning a month's numbers can reflect a change in momentum, or if testing a new strategy, the success of that strategy. MS poured millions into advertising TF since E3 last year, banking on it capturing the hearts and mindshare of (in particular) American audiences... And to sweeten the pot, they bundled the game in for free with pretty much every X1 sold last month. Then retailers, almost every major retailer, both online and B&M, had it discounted even further. Was it Wal Mart or Target that was even throwing in a free year of live on top of that? Keep in mind, those prepaid cards for a Year of Live, etc are direct money to MS, there's no profit on those. And in the end, Sony still won, and not by a tiny margin, 3x more than my anticipated 20k spread. Sony effectively shut them down, and all they did was... what? Provide more stock to the US? What kind of narrative does that put to the US market?

Hmm...thats very good to know Thanks Abidel!

Im calling it now, PS4 will outsell the X1 by ~100,000 in April.

I don't know about 100k. This month is almost over, and I don't want to make claims of it blowing it out of the water by that much... It's been consistently in stock, and selling well, better than the X1, but I try not to go hyperbolic about it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

They don't usually break it down like this. In fact, they've been using the Android Licencing revenue to mask the extensive loses of the Xbox brand for quite a while. This break down would suggest that they're no longer looking to mask Xbox loses - which, to me, would suggest they're not expecting any loses to report. So, if they're rolling out the information like this, I think an official price cut is off the books, at least for this year. Xbox simply cannot survive another generation of on-going loses - the major shareholders won't let it.

Don't forget surface and stuff is also in there. But its very unclear to me how those devices are actually doing. I assume like crap but I have no idea.

harSon

Banned

According to what non-bullshit source?

I don't know about 100k. This month is almost over, and I don't want to make claims of it blowing it out of the water by that much... It's been consistently in stock, and selling well, better than the X1, but I try not to go hyperbolic about it.

Yea I got ya, im forgetting that the PS4 will also see a drop...I amend my prediction.

PS4 by 60 to 75 thousand in April. If the price cuts and bundled Titanfall still had the X1 trailing by 60,000 in March I see no way the discrepancy doesnt remain that large or grow slightly for April.

According to what non-bullshit source?

Fun fact: the guy asking about cloud revenue is Rick Sherlund of Nomura, who previous said:

"We conclude that Xbox platform plus Windows phone and Skype lose about $2.5 billion per year, and we estimate that the Xbox platform may account for roughly $2 billion of this," Sherlund asserted. "This is contrary to conventional wisdom, we think investors do not realize how extensive the operating costs are for this business and it is concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties."

"Xbox is an orphan in our view," Sherlund said. "It is a 'cool' product line and a successful consumer franchise, but it also loses a lot of money and we think is a distraction to the more enterprise strengths of Microsoft."

So it's a shame he didn't press again today.

It's speculation by analysts

Article on it

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...osses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst

Biker19

Banned
Xbox One back to $499 is crazy, sales will dive in may if this remain.

Especially with games like MLB 14: The Show & the exclusivity marketing of Watch Dogs for PS4 next month?

Microsoft's just making it more easier to push more people towards Sony & PS4 at this point in the U.S. People who recognize that the price tag for Xbox One has jumped back up to $500 are gonna hesitate buying it.

From Rick Sherlund, the man with a stick up his ass regarding Microsoft and electronics.

I simply sourced it.

One analyst. If the Xbox was loses 2 Billion plus then the Xbox division would not be making profit after they moved the patent licenses to a different division.

Or the Devices division could now be profitable when before it wasn't?

I don't necessarily believe that but the OG Xbox and launch of the 360 would've been huge money pits at the time

Abdiel

Yea I got ya, im forgetting that the PS4 will also see a drop...I amend my prediction.

PS4 by 60 to 75 thousand in April. If the price cuts and bundled Titanfall still had the X1 trailing by 60,000 in March I see no way the discrepancy doesnt remain that large or grow slightly for April.

Who knows, next month has some big games coming out, MLB the Show for PS4 (which I know a few people waiting to snag their PS4s with that game), Bound by Flame, Transistor, and Watch Dogs hitting with the PS4 getting all the advertising and again superior Multi-plats means even if there's a slight drop for April, I can see it picking up again in May.

Doesn't seem bad considering how few countries they're in, and the price.

The countries they're not in are tier 2+ for a reason - Xbox is a 1.5 country brand and they know it. I wouldn't count on more than 200k lost sales there combined (this is being very optimistic).

That said it is selling well enough to be relevant but I still think both it and the PS4 are being flattered by several factors. One is the length of the last generation and the pent up demand for something new. The second is these new consoles are historically cheap on a inflation adjusted basis. The final thing is the fact that online preorders as well as sales are a lot easier than they were back in 2006. On the whole I think both the PS2 and the Wii had more impressive launch sales given the state of the console markets when they launched.

Fox Mulder

Xbox One back to $499 is crazy, sales will dive in may if this remain.

there still has to be a real drop coming. No way in hell they ride $499 into the holidays.

they wanted to win the month in sales and didn't. No reason to lose money until they want to do a real drop. If you weren't pushed off the fence with deals like $450 with titanfall or forza and 12/mo Live, you weren't going to buy one soon anyways.

Biker19

Banned
there still has to be a real drop coming. No way in hell they ride $499 into the holidays.

they wanted to win the month in sales and didn't. No reason to lose money until they want to do a real drop. If you weren't pushed off the fence with deals like $450 with titanfall or forza and 12/mo Live, you weren't going to buy one soon anyways.

What's even more troubling, is if they lower the price to $450, no one will fall for it, because most consumers have already seen the $450 price tag all last month by retailers.

They're now gonna have to drop the price by $100 if they want to continue to be relevant. AND bundle a game on top of that.

jamiept

Banned
It certainly can change, but it can change for any side. It pretty much is already at $399 if we count the free game that comes bundles, the territories that it is yet to release will hardly make a difference since in most of them you can already find imported ones.

MS will have to fight an uphill battle not unlike the one PS3 had to fight, it won't be one or two E3s that will turn the tide. Sony historically is hard to beat when it comes to supporting their consoles well and for a long time. Maybe MS has it in them to try to revert the situation, but it is not a sure thing at this point.

One practice that they introduced and I believe will bite MS back is paywalled multiplayer, how many people will be willing to have the Xbox and PlayStation if they have to pay two subscriptions? Not to mention the other things they put behind a paywall that are just shameful at this point.

Their over reliance on third-party studios to generate exclusive games is bound to collapse if they fall behind when it comes to installed base. It takes many years to create a good stable of internal studios.

Titanfall should serve as a lesson, months of hype unlike we ever saw for a new IP before, well received by critics, bundled for free with the consoles (at times at a discounted price) yet the Xbox still lost the NPD for that month.

It seems all of your points are focused on the core gamer, and this is why - in my opinion - MS can still do very well with the broader market.

Bundling Titanfall is not the same as selling the XO for $399. It alienates the potential buyers who don't care about Titanfall. Don't underestimate the initial impact of a lower price either.

Importing the XO...again, is very different to having the console officially available where you are. Don't expect your average user to bother importing.

First party studios? Again, not a concern for the broad user. This is a core gamer concern, and I seriously doubt that every person who buys a console is a core gamer. And lets be reasonable - both systems have some good games right now.

The Gold paywall... Yep, I think it sux too. Not so much the MP side, just the app side. But is this a big factor in purchase decisions with the broader user base...?

Again, the systems - right now - are not available on the same terms. Price, availability - these are the two variables which favor one system right now.

JaggedSac

This next couple of quarters are going to be to very telling. Since MS stuff the channel with titanfall launching. That lead to fire sales of xbones.

Wonder how bad the shipped numbers are going to drop because there is really nothing coming for xbone until fall.

MS provided their estimates for next quarter. 1.2 - 1.3 million between 360 and Bone

Edit: This is wrong. I misremembered something I read.

JaggedSac

Has Microsoft previously broken out Android licensing from the rest of the devices division?

Q4aBCfL.png

They have been like that for at least 2 or 3 quarters. And yes, patent licensing is housed within Devices and Consumer licensing, away from all things Xbox. So in short, that analyst that laid claim that those patent licenses were making up for Xbox and other losses, was full of dog doodoo.

Tabular

Banned
So just to be clear...

Microsoft shipped 1.2 million Xbones. While Sony sold 2.8 million + PS4's to customers??? That's over 2/1 WW no? Maybe 3/1 WW actual purchases by customers? If so wow! The screwballs have spoken.

This is an unusually long earnings release thread... is there anything particularly good to read in the last 10 pages.

oh, I'm sure the Nintendo one will be double this length

(how much will Nintendo's huge overshipment of Wii Us to Japan last quarter effect their shipments for this quarter? stay tuned)

Heh, hey! I've been catching up on the thread.

Yeah, Best Buy and other retailers don't make those kinds of deals without having the backup of Vendor Credit and other rebates associated with manufacturer coverage. Unless a product has reached "End of Life", where it's considered at risk and useless, if a product is discounted like that, it's because we've received assurance of cost coverage. We have monthly "SSB" or Store Send Back shipments, where product is evaluated at a corporate level, and if it's not met the demand anticipated, it gets either reallocated to stores where it sells, or it gets sent back to the manufacturer for a refund.

And it's been interesting to follow up on sales, now that the PS4 is becoming more readily stocked... XB1 numbers have started to stagnate again, or at least drop off, with the PS4 typically having a 2:1 sales average per week in every store in a district. Sony shifted a LOT of inventory our way last month, and it looks like that has continued to remain a high priority, though I hope the EU starts getting more inventory, because as much as it's still selling well, the demand overseas is still crazy.

Thanks. Always interesting to read your posts.

So do you know if the price going back up has affected sales yet?

Abdiel

Thanks. Always interesting to read your posts.

So do you know if the price going back up has affected sales yet?

Well, the store in Manchester NH is currently averaging shipments of PS4s between 30-50 per week, selling 25-50 each week (so either almost sold out, or sold out), the Nashua NH store gets shipments of 30-40 with average sales of 20-30 per week.

XB1 is getting 40-50 ever 3-4 weeks in those stores, average 8-10 per week, each store. During the peak of the XB1 TF sales, those stores were at 15-19 per week. Take that how you will.

Well, the store in Manchester NH is currently averaging shipments of PS4s between 30-50 per week, selling 25-50 each week (so either almost sold out, or sold out), the Nashua NH store gets shipments of 30-40 with average sales of 20-30 per week.

XB1 is getting 40-50 ever 3-4 weeks in those stores, average 8-10 per week, each store. During the peak of the XB1 TF sales, those stores were at 15-19 per week. Take that how you will.

So those unsold XBO's are just piling up each week? Yikes.

Top Bottom