• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

Steroyd

Question!

Isn't the Xbox One outpacing even the Xbox 360? Sure, the XBO isn't performing anywhere near the PS4 , but when you compare it to the 360 (which didn't have market competition for a year) it's looking pretty good.

Or am I missing something entirely? Aside from the influence of social media in 2014 vs. 2005.

Production capacity, even the WiiU tracked above the Xbox 360 at launch if we want to raise the bar.

The not so positive sign for the Xbox One is that we saw it's sales ceiling so soon, and MS is flooding retailers with console's they can't shift in a timely manner.

GameSeeker

Not that this really matters in the grand scheme of things as Xbox One represents tremendous value at its current price, but someone just told me that the Xbox One Titanfall Bundle is available for only £349 at Tesco for all UK consumers. Not only is this great value, it becomes even better as you can apply for a further 10% off, making it only £314.

I want to make a small comparison here. This is a Titanfall thread so I feel this is on topic. That's £314 for an Xbox One with the only game this year that matters, Titanfall.

If you were to purchase a PS4, it would cost you £349. That's just the console. A console and a controller. Nothing else. I don't even know if they give you a HDMI cable with it (PS3 didn't have it, so I don't think PS4 would have it either). The only notable purchase on that system isn't due for another 6 months and will likely cost you an additional £40. Until then, you have no games to play. You basically have a controller with a pretty blue light. That's fine for all you fanatics who love the colour blue, but not so much for those who maybe don't want blue, and want yellow or pink or orange.

This creates a difference of £75 and 6 months of no games. Not only are we talking money here, but also time. And unless some of you have a time machine, you're not going to get that time back. I don't know what SCE has been smoking (fucking drug addicts that they are), but I think it's clear that they're essentially lying to people with their narrative of presenting a cheap and powerful gaming system. It's also disheartening to see people on GAF are believing the false hype and have been caught, hook, line and sinker.

The fact is that the competitor is outmatching them in the only country that has centuries of legacy and history outside of the US. The Queen's land, Britannia.

£314 for Xbox One with Titanfall. Of course this console is going to sell millions. This success is well represented in this report.

Verendus, you have just scratched the tip of the iceberg. Just wait till E3. Microsoft will announce Halo 2 Anniversary AND Titanfall Game of Year Edition for the Holiday season. There is no way Sony can compete with that. Sony's big E3 announcement will be TLOU Remastered's ship date.

p.s. I see Verendus is in fine form. :)

On Demand

Banned
I don't think XB1 can ever surpass PS4 WW. It's only 5 months in but you can tell where this is going to go. The WW gap in increasing every month. XB1 would have to outsell PS4 by hundreds of thousands on a consistent basis. That's not going to happen. Neither console is selling wii like month to month but at least PS4 has the advantage.

Question!

Isn't the Xbox One outpacing even the Xbox 360? Sure, the XBO isn't performing anywhere near the PS4 , but when you compare it to the 360 (which didn't have market competition for a year) it's looking pretty good.

Or am I missing something entirely? Aside from the influence of social media in 2014 vs. 2005.

Again this has been answered a dozen times....360 was really limited in supply, back then also manufacturer capabilities were not there. Other then a front loaded launch, x1 is behind 360's pace for 2014.............

X1 hit demand really fast, took 360 until may/.june.,

Pimpwerx

Question!

You don't price cut something, that's selling well, this quick. The numbers are just confirming a lot of hunches. PEACE.

I like how Xbox One is supposedly struggling when people are counting places that hardly even register as legitimate countries. What's the LTD for PS4 and Xbox One in the US? A few hundred thousand units difference, that's all. That's quite competitive, no? Xbox is still in the game in the only place that matters.

image.php

Knew it was satire though. Good post mang.

Don't know how this could be that bad, really. Only 2m behind, and that while the PS4 is on fire. With all the doom and gloom I would expect a 2:1 ratio.

Steroyd

We were talking about US. Anyway if you want to say that Dreamcast was competition for the PS2 from November 2000 to November 2001, I will say it. But I find hard to believe the fact that a discounted console could compete with the top selling console ever.....

I don't get what's hard to believe in that the Dreamcast was a competitor while it was on the market, Sony did not have a no competition until the Xbox and Gamecube came out, and if we're going to hang onto the fact that yes Dreamcast lost and suffered consequences then what does that make Sony's other non-competitors in Nintendo and Microsoft?

Lokbob

Not that this really matters in the grand scheme of things as Xbox One represents tremendous value at its current price, but someone just told me that the Xbox One Titanfall Bundle is available for only £349 at Tesco for all UK consumers. Not only is this great value, it becomes even better as you can apply for a further 10% off, making it only £314.

Well its cheaper in some Media Markt and Saturn retailers here in germany - theyre really trying to get rid of their stock.

image167dxq8.png

TomShoe

Banned
Well its cheaper in some Media Markt and Saturn retailers here in germany - theyre really trying to get rid of their stock.

I remember when one store put the XBO up for €319 on clearance. Took them 9 hours to sell 5 of them. I wonder how long these cuts are going to last?

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm exclusively PC these days, so who's winning doesn't really mean that much to me. Although, xbox doing well may mean more PC ports, so that would be good.

I stopped in Best Buy the other day, mostly to try out a chromebook, was curious to see if I might want one. Ventured over to the game area, and a very friendly sales rep started chewing my ear off. He said they have xboxes piled up all over, they're just not selling.

Almost made me want to buy one. Get rid of the creepy eyeball thingy and I might give it a shot.

Don't know how this could be that bad, really. Only 2m behind, and that while the PS4 is on fire. With all the doom and gloom I would expect a 2:1 ratio.

It's more then 2 million, where did you get 2 million from?? The x1 got most of it's sales at launch since then it is not doing well, heck even wii-u did 3 + million at launch.

Since JAN it is bigger then 2:1 ratio...................

It's more then 2 million, where did you get 2 million from?? The x1 got most of it's sales at launch since then it is not doing well, heck even wii-u did 3 + million at launch.

Shit, I saw shipped and thought it was sold. Nevermind. But the numbers people are saying are 4.2-4.4m, still not 2:1.

Shit, I saw shipped and thought it was sold. Nevermind. But the numbers people are saying are 4.2-4.4m, still not 2:1.

JAn n- march 3 million sold - 1.2 shipped..............it's more then 2:1...Launch numbers are the only thing keeping it closer, hardcore fans and early adopters didn't care about price, competition.

As of last week, PS4 surpassed 7 million. If they passed 8 million, they would have said "PS4 passed 8 million units" so yeah... it might be more than 2 million, but over 2:1 is questionable.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-hits-7-million-globally/

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Question!

The 360 had a pretty mediocre lunch year I think. They weren't rushing out of the gate.

As of last week, PS4 surpassed 7 million. If they passed 8 million, they would have said "PS4 passed 8 million units" so yeah... it might be more than 2 million if its 7.11 or higher, but the news is vague enough that 2 million sounds about right and it definitely is less than 3 million and no where near 2:1.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-hits-7-million-globally/

?? 5 million shipped...is not sold....x1 is around 4.2 sold, ps4 7 +....it's more then 2 million/.

JANUARY to MARCH:

x1 1.2 SHIPPED

PS4 3 million sold...........................

It is outselling x1 more then 2:1 and has been for months.

Prine

Banned
How much money did each division make? Would like to know MS profits. On my phone so can't check blasted presentation notes.

This thread is moving too quick for me to be relevant but I have to say, I hate the "we need two relatively even platforms sales wise, it's good for the consumer" argument, gets reyt on me tits. What so, it's Christmas 2014 and PS4 has sold triple the Xbox One, suddenly PS+ goes up to $70 and you don't get a controller when you buy the console?

They want to make money whether they have competition or not, and you won't make money if you're anti-consumer.

This thread is moving too quick for me to be relevant but I have to say, I hate the "we need two relatively even platforms sales wise, it's good for the consumer" argument, get's reyt on me tits. What so, it's Christmas 2014 and PS4 has sold triple, suddenly PS+ goes up to $70 and you don't get a controller when you buy the console?

They want to make money whether they have competition or not, and you won't make money if you're anti-consumer.

Yeah it makes no sense, especially in the gaming market where every game is a risk,

Biker19

Banned
This thread is moving too quick for me to be relevant but I have to say, I hate the "we need two relatively even platforms sales wise, it's good for the consumer" argument, get's on me tits. What so, it's Christmas 2014 and PS4 has sold triple the Xbox One, suddenly PS+ goes up to $70 and you don't get a controller when you buy the console?

Agree. There's no guarantee that certain products are going to be successful every time. These things happen.

They happened since gaming was first born 42 years ago, & it'll continue to happen today.

Alchemy

How much money did each division make? Would like to know MS profits. On my phone so can't check blasted presentation notes.

Total profits from hardware sales at this point are meaningless. All that matters is Sony and Microsoft avoid as much bleeding as possible while increasing their market share. The money will come from selling software and subscriptions to as many consumers as possible, and having a smaller install base makes that more difficult.

Sony and Microsoft are in a fight for marketshare right now to push their services, software, and even advertising.

BigDug13

As I recall, didn't the 360's sales really skyrocket after the "$599" announcement?

They had that first year to themselves, but lots of PS2 faithful were on the fence until then.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has Microsoft previously broken out Android licensing from the rest of the devices division?

Q4aBCfL.png

Usobuko

Banned
Comparison against previous gen, Xbox One number might be favorable. However, I just think this gen itself is quite front loaded with all the news aggregate more readily available to the consumer.

It's true Xbox One has a very good launch, just not sure how the last 3 months NPD compares to 360. That might paint a picture where it is heading to.

slapnuts

Last week about the 5 million sold to retailers announcement....i predicted 4.4 million sold to consumers in that thread from last week. I still stand with my estimation because my gut feeling is almost always right..its prophetic in nature lol

Prine

Banned
Total profits from hardware sales at this point are meaningless. All that matters is Sony and Microsoft avoid as much bleeding as possible while increasing their market share. The money will come from selling software and subscriptions to as many consumers as possible, and having a smaller install base makes that more difficult.

Sony and Microsoft are in a fight for marketshare right now to push their services, software, and even advertising.

It's not meaningless, it's helpful, we should have a breakdown of performance from divisions, initiatives and products. It all matters for us to get a good idea of the where money is coming and going, and help with predictions and their capacity to develop/invest.

so more unit can sit on store shelves?

When you go shopping for fruit and there's just a few pitiful apples left in a giant bin, do you buy those? Or do you consider those the bottom of the basket quality?
Xbox needs to flood shelves, have basketfuls of nice fresh produce out there so people buy a few while they're fresh!
Mmmm, I better go eat an apple now. What were we talking about?

jaypah

This thread is moving too quick for me to be relevant but I have to say, I hate the "we need two relatively even platforms sales wise, it's good for the consumer" argument, get's reyt on me tits. What so, it's Christmas 2014 and PS4 has sold triple the Xbox One, suddenly PS+ goes up to $70 and you don't get a controller when you buy the console?

I don't know about even but (and this may sound selfish) I'm glad that Sony knocked the wind out of MS sails. I plan to buy an XO and would like for MS to feel that they have to rely on first party stuff. If MS was trouncing Sony then I feel they might play it safer, plus I usually dig Sony's first party. But take away the price advantage, early mover advantage and 3rd party superiority from MS and all you have left to fight with is exclusives. I like the idea of that. So, no personally I want EARNED competition. Not just sales parity for the hell of it, I want both products to be compelling enough that they have to fight it out. Because I win in that scenario. I haven't been satisfied with just one consoles' worth of games since the SNES days. PS4 I'm not worried about, I have faith in it having a great varied library. My WiiU scratches my Nintendo fix. I want MS to pick up that first party slack.

Top Bottom