• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q3: 1.6M 360+XBO Shipped

ZhugeEX

Banned
What's that all about? Don't know that meme.

What i'm saying is all your posts end as if you're actively trying to prove people wrong and engaging in an argument about the Xbox One or something.

Your final line above for example which says that these graphs is proof that people who say Xbox is doomed are wrong. Stop that. It's pointless.

There was another argument in this thread earlier and the NPD thread earlier where one guy ended every post with how PS4 was better and the other guy ended every post about how Xbox One was better.

Don't be like them.

Sorry if this comes off aggressive, just no need to make everything so "Us vs them"

Welfare

What i'm saying is all your posts end as if you're actively trying to prove people wrong and engaging in an argument about the Xbox One or something.

Your final line above for example which says that these graphs prove people who say Xbox is doomed is wrong. Stop that. It's pointless.

There was another argument in this thread earlier and the NPD thread earlier where one guy ended every post with how PS4 was better and the other guy ended every post about how Xbox One was better.

Don't be like them.

Yeah, be like this.

Wii U is better.

So? It is also a fraction of the market share of today and tomorrows' computing presence.

The defacto modern operating ecosystem is NOT Microsoft's anymore. That is the point of what I am saying and where things have gone.

That's a bit silly. Most of the money is in enterprise and that's not switching anywhere anytime soon. There is no real competition to Windows.

On the mobile front I wish more people took a chance on modern Windows Phones. I have a Nokia 1520 and I love it. Hope the Win10 flagships will be suped up.

Your final line above for example which says that these graphs is proof that people who say Xbox is doomed are wrong. Stop that. It's pointless.

Don't be like them.

Sorry if this comes off aggressive, just no need to make everything so "Us vs them"

No offense taken. Honestly did not know what you meant. But I explicitly mentioned that Sony did a great job (which you left out of your quote, that I think is unfair).
Anyway I own both systems (as I stated many times ITT) and I hope I can buy both next gen. I do not know when you joined the thread, but if you come around sometime to read the earlier pages you will get what I meant (it's irrelevant anyway).

Zedox

Wow. Seriously, people are saying that MS is going to stop the Xbox because of this one quarter and not being close to PS4? You guys...you guys. I guess that their stock went up 9% from investors seeing that the future of MS is worth it...granted it's from other areas of MS but you don't see MS caring that they are not growing as fast as you guys would like.

Xbox is there to stay...Xbox is gaming for Microsoft, Nadella already stated it's a huge part of their ecosystem. You guys are making really bold claims off of these little things. Can't wait till //build/ when they show off Hololens and Xbox development :).

ZhugeEX

Banned
I do not know when you joined the thread, but if you come around sometime to read the earlier pages you will get what I meant (it's irrelevant anyway).

I made this thread........

Wow. Seriously, people are saying that MS is going to stop the Xbox because of this one quarter and not being close to PS4? You guys...you guys.

They're the same people who said that Sony would stop making PlayStation consoles after the PS3 or that Nintendo will stop making gaming devices after the Wii U.

Or that Sega would stop making consoles after the Drea...... ok maybe that's not a good example.

Zedox

They're the same people who said that Sony would stop making PlayStation consoles after the PS3 or that Nintendo will stop making gaming devices after the Wii U.

I can understand the talk about how much they sold and what not...but this speculation about MS leaving the market is crazy.

How many of these people play sports or like sports. It's like saying the Philadelphia Eagles (boooo Eagles, Go Cowboys) shouldn't be a team anymore because they haven't won a Super Bowl in god knows when, wait...they never did win. You know what they did do...make money and continue making money because they have a product that people like, no matter the outcome. As long as Microsoft keeps making good games/services for Xbox...people will still buy. Sure they may not win SuperBowls but they can make it to the playoffs.

Hopefully that analogy doesn't wooosh...I know I'm talking to couch potatoes here.

Thank you for sharing that graphic. IMO this is a success given all the (self inflicted) problems X1 had. Also amazing job by Sony for beating them.
Allthough many ppl ITT won't really like these graphs since it does not fit their narrative of MS and Xbox's imminent downfall

How about you get some context as to why people are saying those graphs don't present the big picture.

CoG

Wow. Seriously, people are saying that MS is going to stop the Xbox because of this one quarter and not being close to PS4? You guys...you guys. I guess that their stock went up 9% from investors seeing that the future of MS is worth it...granted it's from other areas of MS but you don't see MS caring that they are not growing as fast as you guys would like.

Xbox is there to stay...Xbox is gaming for Microsoft, Nadella already stated it's a huge part of their ecosystem. You guys are making really bold claims off of these little things. Can't wait till //build/ when they show off Hololens and Xbox development :).

Even when bundled with Surface and other hardware, the Xbox contribution to the bottom line is minimal.

vEASK9c.png

Zedox

Even when bundled with Surface and other hardware, the Xbox contribution to the bottom line is minimal.

vEASK9c.png

Any because it's minimal they are going to scrap it? That chart means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Xbox is gaming for Microsoft, pure and simple, and it's not going anywhere. If they were going to scrap it, it would be a long time ago.

Journey

Banned
X360 had it's first pricecut two years after launch. X1 not so fortunate.
You can "keep" sales on par by heavily digging into the price (it dropped like ~170-180$ in an year considering MS selling bundle with 1 game at 350$ now), but it's not really a sustainable solution.
X1 IS in trouble and MS tries to salvage situation somehow, but it's not really obvious that they will be successful in this (history knows more failures with rare successes on this path).

360 also had two SKUs, one starting at just $299 meanwhile Xbox One launched at $500 freakin dollars. You guys want context? fine, then we should consider all angles. Xbox One included Kinect for $500 and removed the included peripheral to sell it seperately at $400, so even if on paper there's a price reduction, it should not be technically considered a price cut, unless we want to consider the core package a price cut on the premium from day one. The true price cut was when it dropped to $349, and that's still above the 360 core package which was priced at $299, yet X1 is still selling better despite being more expensive and having heavy competition from PS4, a console that has no negativity behind it, unlike PS3, and was cheaper than the competition, unlike PS3. 360 flew solo for an entire year, then was met by a more expensive full of negativity console. Let's be fair.

CoG

Any because it's minimal they are going to scrap it? That chart means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Xbox is gaming for Microsoft, pure and simple, and it's not going anywhere. If they were going to scrap it, it would be a long time ago.

They are going to keep it just so they can having something that is "gaming for Microsoft"? Zune was music for Microsoft for a long time.

To your point, I agree that Xbox is Microsoft's gaming brand. My guess is the hardware is going away this generation to be replaced with Xbox as a service in the future.

Elandyll

Banned
To determine just how dependent on Holiday sales the XB1 is currently, I made a little experiment.
I made a cumul of launch aligned sales (NPD) for Gen 7 and Gen 8, and on one chart I left the Holidays in:

gen7-Gen8_Cumul.png

but on the other I removed the Nov and Dec months (so all months including March 15, minus Nov/ Dec 13 and Nov/ Dec 14):

here it is

Gen7_Gen8_Cumul_Holidays_Removed.png

Imo, this shows there is a problem with the XB1 for MS, as far as being dependant on a short time period Sales at discounted prices.

When you depend that much on -2- months of the year, in -1- country (2 possibly including UK, but that isn't as true anymore) ... That's way too volatile imo.

They are going to keep it just so they can having something that is "gaming for Microsoft"? Zune was music for Microsoft for a long time.

To your point, I agree that Xbox is Microsoft's gaming brand. My guess is the hardware is going away this generation to be replaced with Xbox as a service in the future.

Hardware is going to go away soon or later be it MS or Sony .
If VR gets big it may take a while longer but you can already see signs of it with Sony .

ZhugeEX

Banned
360 also had two SKUs, one starting at just $299 meanwhile Xbox One launched at $500 freakin dollars. If you're going to bring price into the match, then you should consider all angles. Xbox One included Kinect for $500 and removed the included peripheral to sell it seperately at $400, so even if on paper there's a price reduction, it should not be technically considered a price cut, unless we want to consider the core package a price cut on the premium from day one. The true price cut was when it dropped to $349, and that's still above the 360 core package which was priced at $299, yet X1 is still selling better despite being more expensive and having heavy competition from PS4, whereas 360 flew solo for an entire year. Let's be fair.

This argument keeps coming up.

It is a price cut in the sense that the price of entry into the ecosystem is a lot lower.

The Xbox 360's major advantage was its starting price of $299. The first price cut (to $279) came after 22 months on the market.

The Xbox One price of entry was $499 at launch, dropped to $399 after 7 months and then $350 after 12 months.

These are price cuts as it makes the price of entry lower than it was before. The PS3 for example dropped to $399 with 80GB HDD whilst the 160GB HDD model was bought in at the original $499. That too is a price drop. The logic you're using means that PS3 wouldn't have had a price drop in this case but I think even you can admit that the PS3 had a price drop to $399.

Also another point to focus on is the Xbox brand. In 2005 the PS2 was king and the original Xbox didn't perform well. Xbox 360 sales started off very slow and only started to show peaks after 2009. This reminds me of how the PS1 started out, very slowly but suddenly shot up to 100m+

With the Xbox One the brand was massive after the success of the 360 and so this is why launch sales were high despite the price. But it's clear that sales were dropping quite considerably and so without these price drops its clear that Xbox One would probably be in line with 360 rather than over it like it actually is. In fact it's actually selling less than the 360 did after launch.

CY2006 - 8.9m X360's
CY2014 - ~7.9m-8.4m XB1's

And that's not a good thing for a brand that has been built up over the past 10 years. Especially when compared to the PS4 as well.

So whilst the Xbox One isn't doing poorly like the Wii U, it's had a long struggle to get to where it is today and it remains to be seen just how long sales can be sustained before we see a lower monthly baseline.

ZhugeEX

Banned
To determine just how dependent on Holiday sales the XB1 is currently, I made a little experiment.
I made a cumul of launch aligned sales (NPD) for Gen 7 and Gen 8, and on one chart I left the Holidays in:

I didn't think my replacement would be here so soon!

(In all seriousness, nice charts :) )

Xbox sales 2.0 million q3 2014

Q1 sold in to retailer was 2.4 million

Q2 2015 sold in to retailer was 6.6 million

Q3 sold in to retailer was 1.6 million

I'm failing to see where we get. 13.5 million sales for X1?

All the sales combined from the above equals 12.6 million. The above numbers are all shipped and included the Xbox 360. The X1 is most ljkely around 11 million sold through if you ask me. Unless I'm missing something somewhere

Micosoft also announced 10 million SHIPPED in November last year. We just saw they only shipped 1.6 million in Q3. So yeah, giving some percentage to the 360 over 2015 I'm liking the 11 million shipped for X1 number. Sold through? 10.5 million maybe?

4Tran

It means that, unless Xbox does something else other than generate revenue for Microsoft, it is an insignificant business segment that the company won't care about much whether it goes away or not. There are also two big differences between the current situation and what it was like in the past. Before, the allure of conquering the livingroom still had potential. This used to be the raison d'existence for Xbox, but nobody believes in it any more. The other difference was that Steve Ballmer was invested in Xbox and with him gone, there's no one high up at Microsoft left to bat for it. This probably doesn't mean much in the short term, but it does make it more likely that the successor to the Xbone never gets made.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Xbox sales 2.0 million q3 2014

Q1 sold in to retailer was 2.4 million

Q2 2015 sold in to retailer was 6.6 million

Q3 sold in to retailer was 1.6 million

I'm failing to see where we get. 13.5 million sales for X1?

All the sales combined from the above equals 12.6 million. The above numbers are all shipped and included the Xbox 360. The X1 is most ljkely around 11 million sold through if you ask me. Unless I'm missing something somewhere

Micosoft also announced 10 million SHIPPED in November last year. We just saw they only shipped 1.6 million in Q3. So yeah, giving some percentage to the 360 over 2015 I'm liking the 11 million shipped for X1 number. Sold through? 10.5 million maybe?

You are missing something. I'm not going to continue repeating myself. This has already been answered many times before but there is enough evidence to suggest sales are under 13.5m for Xbox One but likely over 13 million.

= 21.1m X1/360's shipped since launch.

If you really think it's 11 million for Xbox One that means that you think Xbox 360 more than doubled PS3 sales in 2014.

gen7-Gen8_Cumul.png

but on the other I removed the Nov and Dec months (so all months including March 15, minus Nov/ Dec 13 and Nov/ Dec 14):

here it is

Gen7_Gen8_Cumul_Holidays_Removed.png

Imo, this shows there is a problem with the XB1 for MS, as far as being dependant on a short time period Sales at discounted prices.

When you depend that much on -2- months of the year, in -1- country (2 possibly including UK, but that isn't as true anymore) ... That's way too volatile imo.

Ok, so conversely the 360 sold less during the holidays than the XBO then. If you sell more during the holidays you may front load your sales then and sell less next quarter. That's logical. Not an indication of a problem.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Ok, so conversely the 360 sold less during the holidays than the XBO then. If you sell more during the holidays you may front load your sales then and sell less next quarter. That's logical. Not an indication of a problem.

This graph shows sell through and not sell in. It's also just for the US market.

Just to make it clear.

Zedox

Steve Balmer is no longer CEO.

And the current CEO just doubled down on Xbox, reiterating why they are keeping Xbox. There's a reason why Xbox was at the Windows 10 event. That's a huge event for "little ole Xbox" to be at.

TVs aren't going away, there's still an audience for console gamers as long as TVs still exist. Until TVs are replaced, people need to stop saying that game consoles are done after this generation. VR/AR is happening but that is still in its infancy and no one has released a true platform for the mass market yet, so I think that people need to calm down.

Elandyll

Banned

When the overall "health" of a product is depending on 1 country, during 2 months of the year, with big discounts, the risk is the volatility (and margins).

Meaning, -1- bad or mediocre Holiday, and suddenly you are possibly in the hole.

Same idea with companies who have a portfolio of clients with an 80-20 split (as in 20% of their clients represents 80% of their revenue).

This being said, as the 1st chart shows, so far the XB1 is doing fine. With Holidays.

tfur

That's a bit silly. Most of the money is in enterprise and that's not switching anywhere anytime soon. There is no real competition to Windows.

On the mobile front I wish more people took a chance on modern Windows Phones. I have a Nokia 1520 and I love it. Hope the Win10 flagships will be suped up.

Well, no, it is not silly. Sure, Microsoft has a quite strong presence in the enterprise, but to say there is no competition in the enterprise is to be ill informed.

Fact is Windows licensing is down, and the strong hold they once had in the computing space is gone. You even mentioning the fact that enterprise is where the money is made actually supports what I am saying. Each day, the general public is moving away to other operating system ecosystems. It will continue, and that move increases in speed each day.

Cloud is considerably up, because that is related to services. This is where the company is going focus. "Mobile first, cloud first."

Unfortunately, mobile is in the toilet right now. Although, if they continue with multi-platform presence, they will be fine. They will be fine because as a service, Android and iOS will keep them successful. An ecosystem locked to Windows Phone is almost useless.

Zedox

Well, no, it is not silly. Sure, Microsoft has a quite strong presence in the enterprise, but to say there is no competition in the enterprise is to be ill informed.

Fact is Windows licensing is down, and the strong hold they once had in the computing space is gone. You even mentioning the fact that enterprise is where the money is made actually supports what I am saying. Each day, the general public is moving away to other operating system ecosystems. It will continue, and that move increases in speed each day.

Cloud is considerably up, because that is related to services. This is where the company is going focus. "Mobile first, cloud first."

Unfortunately, mobile is in the toilet right now. Although, if they continue with multi-platform presence, they will be fine. They will be fine because as a service, Android and iOS will keep them successful. An ecosystem locked to Windows Phone is almost useless.

Consumer version of Windows licenses are down...not enterprises. Enterprises still pay for Windows as they get support. Even with Windows 10, the enterprise edition will still be sold and won't be free like the consumer versions.

joecanada

Your ethics example was terrible and I was pointing that out. False equivalency. I'm not comparing anything.

I was responding to a post station stating that business had no relation to consumers feelings or anything else. That business is just making money and it's just business. So no ethics example is terrible, people react to all sorts of scenarios regarding business transactions. The example makes no difference and could be replaced with any. There's no false equivalency I never equated anything.

Lynn616

MS is expanding its hardware business not cutting it.

Apathy

I can understand the talk about how much they sold and what not...but this speculation about MS leaving the market is crazy.

How many of these people play sports or like sports. It's like saying the Philadelphia Eagles (boooo Eagles, Go Cowboys) shouldn't be a team anymore because they haven't won a Super Bowl in god knows when, wait...they never did win. You know what they did do...make money and continue making money because they have a product that people like, no matter the outcome. As long as Microsoft keeps making good games/services for Xbox...people will still buy. Sure they may not win SuperBowls but they can make it to the playoffs.

Hopefully that analogy doesn't wooosh...I know I'm talking to couch potatoes here.

The analogy is bad. If a shit team does not win games but their games and merchandise keeps selling out every game day (Like the Maple Leafs), it is not going anywhere. It makes profits for the owners. If a sports team does not sell out every game and sales of merch is low and it is not making profits for their owners, they move. It's the reason why there is no more Hartford Whalers or Atlanta Thrashers. They moved to places that have a larger audience that wants to support them and will maximize profits. The xbox division does not make profit for Microsoft, they are in it for something else.

And the current CEO just doubled down on Xbox, reiterating why they are keeping Xbox. There's a reason why Xbox was at the Windows 10 event. That's a huge event for "little ole Xbox" to be at.

TVs aren't going away, there's still an audience for console gamers as long as TVs still exist. Until TVs are replaced, people need to stop saying that game consoles are done after this generation. VR/AR is happening but that is still in its infancy and no one has released a true platform for the mass market yet, so I think that people need to calm down.

While I agree with you that the Xbox brand is staying, to play devils advocate, even if they were planning on selling it down the line, months or years, a company would be beating the drum on their products to sell until the moment it was done. If you don't show confidence in your product, then it's as good as dead instead of at least bringing in revenue in some way. Even to prop it up as much as you could to make it appealing to someone you were selling to and get maximum cash out of it.

Horseshit. Win 10 is coming because win 8 was the biggest fuckup since Vista and businesses have skipped it. Hence the skip of no.9, its a business thing, thats where their cash really comes from. Living room has long gone, even mobile for them too.

Yes and the goal of windows 10 is to do what Windows 8 failed to do (duh) so your post doesn't really actually change anything.

Wasn't that the whole point of Windows 8 though? And the "Metro" UI?

Maybe I'm just being naive, but it seems as though that ship has long sailed.

No Windows 8 was half-effort and messed things up, only thing that became integrated was the design of the UI, and that's not the only thing windows messed up either, Windows 10 is going to actualy do what Windows 8 was supposed to do.

You are missing something. I'm not going to continue repeating myself. This has already been answered many times before but there is enough evidence to suggest sales are under 13.5m for Xbox One but likely over 13 million.

= 21.1m X1/360's shipped since launch.

If you really think it's 11 million for Xbox One that means that you think Xbox 360 more than doubled PS3 sales in 2014.

This needs to be in the OP, numbers THERE are confusing for some people.

tfur

Consumer version of Windows licenses are down...not enterprises. Enterprises still pay for Windows as they get support. Even with Windows 10, the enterprise edition will still be sold and won't be free like the consumer versions.

Yes, I know, but that has nothing to do with my point.

The point is, the jewel of Microsoft...,
Windows, the dream that everyone must have a PC running Windows...
is fading.

The dream of Windows/PC "taking over" in the living room is long gone. It has actually been gone for a long time, its just pretenses were kept to appease Ballmers' ego.

You cannot give up, so plan B is to get services everyone wants and needs into other ecosystems. This is where we are now.

DieH@rd

Banned
I read that they expect higher sales. How they know how sales will be in the next few months?? Well, expectations is one thing, reality is another thing.

Or they will put cheaper APU inside the Xbone, BOM will be lower, but they will keep the current price of $350.

4Tran

In order for Nadella's statements to be reassuring for Xbox, he needs to talk up what kind of strategic position it can occupy in Microsoft's greater product visions. He hasn't done so yet, and there are no suggestions that he ever will.

Yes, I know, but that has nothing to do with my point.

The point is, the jewel of Microsoft...,
Windows, the dream that everyone must have a PC running Windows...
is fading.
Microsoft's crown jewels are the trifecta of Office, Windows and Server. Windows is weaker now, but the other two are going strong. In fact, Microsoft is seeing record revenues, so this isn't much of an issue. However, the most pertinent question is "What does Xbox offer to Microsoft?" And that's one that doesn't really have an answer any more.

Journey

Banned
The Xbox One price of entry was $499 at launch, dropped to $399 after 7 months and then $350 after 12 months.

And that my friend, is a major deal. What was the price of "entry" for 360? $299! with no competition in sight for a full year. Then after competition arrives, the PS3's price of entry = $500. XB1 launched with competition from day 1, and the reverse rolled popular console came in with a price entry of $399. Apples to oranges, sorry.

In order for Nadella's statements to be reassuring for Xbox, he needs to talk up what kind of strategic position it can occupy in Microsoft's greater product visions. He hasn't done so yet, and there are no suggestions that he ever will.

Microsoft's crown jewels are the trifecta of Office, Windows and Server. Windows is weaker now, but the other two are going strong. In fact, Microsoft is seeing record revenues, so this isn't much of an issue. However, the most pertinent question is "What does Xbox offer to Microsoft?" And that's one that doesn't really have an answer any more.

I've said 5this a few times now but you need to look at Xbox as a device like surface. It's a multi-media device, running windows 10 (will soon) that has all the apps and acess to the same stuff as all other windows 10 devices with it's own features and games. People who go through this will be in the MS ecosystem, as those 40 people on WP and the 300 people on Surface. The numbers grow, MS get's more, some may add other devices to their line-up, it's the apple strategy, and Xbox is a multi-million selling device that will bring customers in. Do you understand what money and hopw many potential people theuy will cut off by stabbing Xbox?

21.1m X1/360's shipped since launch.

This is a better way to explain the whole thing about the shipments. Not everyone knows what Q3 means for microsoft, for example.

ZhugeEX

Banned
And that my friend, is a major deal. What was the price of "entry" for 360? $299! with no competition in sight for a full year. Apples to oranges, sorry.

I agree that it's a big difference.

But you're missing the bigger picture. And it's clear you didn't read my post. Please read it again then read the below.

Especially when you consider that the Xbox 360 at $299 sold in 1.5 million units during the launch quarter where as the Xbox One sold in 3.9 million units at $499 during the launch quarter.

That is a huge difference. Using your logic it should be the other way around.

The point I'm making is that the 360 saw very low sales because the brand was not established and the PS2 was still the console to get. The Xbox One saw very high sales because the brand was established and because we were coming out of a very long gen where Xbox 360 had done really well.

So it's very clear that the Xbox One was poised to do very well compared to the 360. But what we saw was a sharp decline in sales and the only way that Microsoft could maintain sales above the 360 aligned sales was by dropping the price $150. (Also you have to remember that $299 in 2005 ain't the same as $349 in 2015).

So i'm not comparing Apples to Oranges. I'm looking at the whole fruit bowl... to use your termanology.

Top Bottom