• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q3: 1.6M 360+XBO Shipped

tesla246

Yeah, I don't see 3:1 happening either. However, if Sony keeps substantially outselling XONE till September, and prices its PS4 system aggressively for the holidays (they need to react this holiday, Microsoft has shown it can take the holidays with aggressive marketing) along with some nice games they might show at E3 and commercials, I can see the ratio increasing north of 2:1.

It will be interesting to see either way how this pans out.

I only have an xbone btw. No it's not doing terrible, but it is nowhere doing what the successor to the 360 should be doing and they know it. Coupled with the power gap when compared to the ps4, they will not drag this gen out.

You're saying the successor to the 360 shouldn't just be doing better than the 360? I don't get it. I understand there is some negativity associated with the One/PS4's specs but if the people are buying it at this pace, I doubt MS/Sony are in a rush to replace the machines. Not unless there is some quantum leap in gaming quality and ability in the next couple of years.

EatMyFace

Banned
Xbox Platform revenue decreased $306 million or 24%, driven by a 20% decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year.
Ouch.
I can't imagine the higher ups at Microsoft are too happy about that. Don't expect any more price cuts this year.

Xbox family shipments are low. I know much of the drop is attributed to the 360's decline, but still, shouldn't XBO shipments theoretically be significantly higher considering the $150 lower entry price plus games?

Yeah over 1 million per month sounds about right given the sell through data we have

If Xbox continues like that they could hand over production lines in china to sony. With all those stuffed channels they will have enough stock anyway. All they need is repackaging capacities for new bundles.
If PS4 has a price drop they will need to speed up production.

I only have an xbone btw. No it's not doing terrible, but it is nowhere doing what the successor to the 360 should be doing and they know it. Coupled with the power gap when compared to the ps4, they will not drag this gen out.

It doesn't work like that...MS cannot just start a generation when they want. Publishers all need to be on board, consumers must be ready to move on..You cannot just say hey I am going to launch a new console this year the get ahead. They got lucky with 360 with sony having to delay due to blu-ray patents etc...

XBO needs to get itself one of those fancy Red Ring of Death dealios so they can start padding their numbers.

I can make this joke, I'm on my 4th Xbox 360.

Real gamers own all consoles!

Can't trust someone who only owns one. Makes me question their gaming credentials and if they actually care about gaming.

This. Anyone saying other wise is being hyperbolic and childish. Xbone and PS4 are both selling ridiculous numbers. PS4 is just selling bananas.

Si ps4 has that mojo going strong and that is good for them. I doubt MS will ever catch up better luck in the next generation which i doubt they'll mess up on as hardcore as they have.

I'm not going to lie i like seeing them in desperate mode as a user it benefits me :3

reap the rewards from all three muhahaa.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So here is cumulative console shipments (launches aligned) for this gen and last gen consoles.

As you can see the PS4 is tracking ahead of the PS2 at the same point in its lifetime. This is because PS2 sales were Japan only for first 7 months and heavily supply constrained. But as you can see sales started to take off after this.

The Xbox One estimated sales show that it's still above Xbox 360 but sales are dropping off below PS2 and now are somewhere around what the PS3 sold at this point in its life. But whilst PS3 sales steadily increased the Xbox One saw explosive sales but then decreased sales and I have no doubt that the PS3 will overtake the Xbox One shortly.

The PS3 sold 10.70m units in CY2008 whilst the Xbox One is currently tracking to be under that in CY2015

ww%20ship%20x1_zps0zxgiano.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
Not too surprised. Screamride as the only retail exclusive for the first 3-4 months of the year isn't good; especially when you had Titanfall last year. Can't really push MCC for too long (and probabaly not in the way MS originally intended due to the game's issues at launch). The system is cheaper but you still need recent games to push it during these months before the big Fall season. Seems like 2016 will be better in terms of this.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Xbox family shipments are low. I know much of the drop is attributed to the 360's decline, but still, shouldn't XBO shipments theoretically be significantly higher considering the $150 lower entry price plus games?

What do you mean?

On topic, declines are bad, but I don't see the Xbox division losing any sleep over this. In my opinion.

This result makes sense. The price drop for the holidays will time-shift a lot of purchases from early 2015 into late 2014. There was likely some baseline increase in overall unit sales, but it isn't as high as we think due to purchases that were going to happen anyway but shifted to earlier months.

ZhugeEX

Banned

You'd think...

But MS stuffed the channel full of Xbox One's during the holiday season so need to sell through those first before they can fully ramp up shipments again.

I have a feeling next quarter is going to be just as dismal but the final quarter of this calendar year will see another boost.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It doesn't work like that...MS cannot just start a generation when they want. Publishers all need to be on board, consumers must be ready to move on..You cannot just say hey I am going to launch a new console this year the get ahead. They got lucky with 360 with sony having to delay due to blu-ray patents etc...

Relative to previous generations, if Ms sticks with the basic x86 architecture they could release fairly quickly without impacting publishers too much

Relative to previous generations, if Ms sticks with the basic x86 architecture they could release fairly quickly without impacting publishers too much

Again it doesn't work that way, and sony is also using the same X86 architecture. Sony is not going to let MS get a full year head start again.

Chris1

Then what happens when Sony releases a year or 2 later and even more powerful? They'll be forever playing catchup. People thinking MS are going to end this gen early are crazy.. that's a terrible longterm move.

MS will release a new console when Sony does, and hopefully makes it a powerful beast and catches Sony off guard. If not, we'll be in the same situation as this gen.

This is going to be a loooooooooooooong generation, people thinking it'll be shorter than last are insane. I don't see it. Sony will drag it out because they're in the lead and it'll make them a fortune, MS won't want to launch before the PS5 and give Sony yet another power advantage. Even MS has posted comments about this gen lasting at LEAST 10 years. I don't see it being shorter than last gen at all. No chance.

You'd think...

But MS stuffed the channel full of Xbox One's during the holiday season so need to sell through those first before they can fully ramp up shipments again.

I have a feeling next quarter is going to be just as dismal but the final quarter of this calendar year will see another boost.

Do you think MS's marketing deal with The Witcher 3 will do anything or not much?

patapuf

What do you mean?

On topic, declines are bad, but I don't see the Xbox division losing any sleep over this. In my opinion.

Only if this quarter is an outlier.

a YoY decrease this early in the lifecycle of a console is definitely something to loose sleep over.

Especially considering all the changes and price drops they've done already. They can't do the same again this year.

http://hukd.mydealz.de/deals/xbox-one-konsole-299-74-75-in-superpunkten-rakuten-de-518782

This was a thing until a few days ago. There was also a bundle with Halo MCC and Ori for 300€ a week or two ago I think, still very cheap.

This was an expired deal where you get "Superpunkte" worth 75€ with it (never heard of them). So that means X1 = 220€ for you?
I think "220€" was a false statement that fit the narrative of this thread of MS going down in flames. Yes, X1 sells like crap in Germany but let's be honest and stick to the facts.
My work buddy bought his PS4+2gamepads+FIFA15 for 399€ at Mediamarkt last week, that doesn't mean Sony has any problems in Germany.

Leyasu

Banned

They started a gen with the 360 lol. Nothing to do with ps3 delays! They also smashed it with games. Are you sure we are not living in different universes?

@ Miles Real "gamers own all consoles!

Can't trust someone who only owns one. Makes me question their gaming credentials and if they actually care about gaming"

I have two small children that consume lots of my time. Only one console this gen and for every future gen now I'm afraid... Unless there is a game that I just can't live without.

EatMyFace

Banned
If the xbone is not succeeded by 2018 i'll be very surprised. They are going to do the same thing with the xbone that they did with the OG xbox.. Bury it after 4 years
XBO is already losing them lots of money. Releasing another console mid-gen would only lose them even more money since it wouldn't be able to be price competitive.

Microsofts best bet is to stick it out with the XBO and only do price cuts when they are necessary. Just look at the recent price cut, it really didn't do anything until the holidays when it was $350 with Unity. Microsoft could have kept the price at $400 with a game and sold a few hundred thousand less console, but made a lot more revenue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that since XBOs lower price isn't killing the PS4, why even bother doing these price cuts? They really aren't helping that much.

How do you propose Sony stops Xbox from launching the next gen?

How can MS stop sony not launching as well?? You cannot launch a console when you want, all publishers must want to move to new hardware which sony would also be a part of. It is a gross over simplification to think MS can just release a console when they want, what if publishers are not ready? What if the market is not? Release too early can do massive damage to your brand.

Taurus

So here is cumulative console shipments (launches aligned) for this gen and last gen consoles.

As you can see the PS4 is tracking ahead of the PS2 at the same point in its lifetime. This is because PS2 sales were Japan only for first 7 months and heavily supply constrained. But as you can see sales started to take off after this.

The Xbox One estimated sales show that it's still above Xbox 360 but sales are dropping off below PS2 and now are somewhere around what the PS3 sold at this point in its life. But whilst PS3 sales steadily increased the Xbox One saw explosive sales but then decreased sales and I have no doubt that the PS3 will overtake the Xbox One shortly.

The PS3 sold 10.70m units in CY2008 whilst the Xbox One is currently tracking to be under that in CY2015

ww%20ship%20x1_zps0zxgiano.jpg
Is there some console missing from the graph? I recall it sold quite nicely last gen but had a strange name..?

Game Guru

This is true, but consumers will want to wait at least 4 years before buying another console. That would be 2018. Until then, MS will have to make due with the XB1.

They started a gen with the 360 lol. Nothing to do with ps3 delays! They also smashed it with games. Are you sure we are not living in different universes?

That's only because ps3 got delayed...Sony is not making that mistake twice. Are you sure you are not in a different universe? What is stopping sony from launching the same time? That was into year 5 of the previous gen, not 4. If publishers are not on board you cannot launch a console.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I know everyone is excited to dance on xbox perceived grave

Remember this includes 360 sales which has taken a steep, steep dive

I'm thinking this is more to do with 360 sales falling off a cliff. I really don't get why they haven't dropped it to a more budget price. I think it could still have legs given all of the awesome games available, free GWG, and killer game sales.

On the X1 side of things I wonder if they're still taking a hit one each sale?

I'm pretty sure if Microsoft launch a new console only after 4 years, Sony will not launch at same time.

MS wont launch a new console in 4 years into the generation...even if they did sony won't launch at 600 bucks and a mess of hardware after the fact. In the long run they won't gain anything. Things have changed in the console market. I don't think sony will ever let MS launch a full year ahead again.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Micosoft absolutely started last gen and caught Sony in an awkward situation. They were ready when HD was emerging and kicked the whole thing off. There doesn't need to be consensus that it is time to move on. All it takes is someone willing to take the chance to release the right thing at the right time.

If there is some way to recapture that and Microsoft could converge at the right time I believe that Microsoft could kick off a new generation again. Microsoft didn't "get lucky" as much as they seized an opportunity.

allan-bh

MS wont launch a new console in 4 years into the generation...even if they did sony won't launch at 600 bucks and a mess of hardware after the fact. In the long run they won't gain anything. Things have changed in the console market.

Why not? The already did that in the past. Sony is the only one interested in a long generation this time.

Micosoft absolutely started last gen and caught Sony in an awkward situation. They were ready when HD was emerging and kicked the whole thing off. There doesn't need to be consensus that it is time to move on. All it takes is someone willing to take the chance to release the right thing at the right time.

If there is some way to recapture that and Microsoft could converge at the right time I believe that Microsoft could kick off a new generation again. Microsoft didn't "get lucky" as much as they seized an opportunity.

Ps3 got delayed....... that's the only reason why. They had intended to launch early.

pixelation

I can only imagine how bad the Xbone might be in this same time next year if they go wild with discounts or a price drop these holidays again. I wonder what will their strategy be after these earnings.

I wonder if they will use the same strategy this fall seeing as how it didn't work out all that well for them financially speaking in the end...

Why not? The already did that in the past. Sony is the only one interesting in a long generation this time.

The ps3 got delayed was the only reason.....Sony had planned to launch earlier. A new gen does not mean last gen stops selling......especially if it is shorter, ps2 sold tonnes after the next gen started.

Leyasu

Banned
That's only because ps3 got delayed...Sony is not making that mistake twice. Are you sure you are not in a different universe? What is stopping sony from launching the same time? That was into year 5 of the previous gen, not 4. If publishers are not on board you cannot launch a console.

lol Do you even know if sony was ready when microsoft announced the 360? No your just speculating! When did I say that sony couldn't launch anything as well?

If microsoft launch another console, the the "publishers" will just port their game onto it as well. But please carry on educating everybody on what the publishers will do and not do

Top Bottom