• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

abadguy

Banned
Just need to reboot it.(Fable) Completely new beginning. I'm curious about what's up with the "MMO like" IP they are working on and just what is meant by "MMO like" exactly. Maybe it will have a persistent world, something like Destiny?

It's cool to see Rare being revived, hopefully this new Rare comes out with some core hits.

Lionhead studio though...last game I liked from them was fable 1 on Xbox.

dan999

Banned
Interesting.

Oh hey look, another Codie. I have no idea whats going on, anymore.

jyKAJ4ATgkvrf.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbAVKINRsgg

Hindle

Banned
Fable 3 was rushed and suffered more of Moleyneuxs over promising. I'm assuming Fable 4 has the standard 4 year dev time for the series, so hopefully it should be more refined and better designed.

That said, I'd still prefer new IP.

Biggzy

Just need to reboot it.(Fable) Completely new beginning. I'm curious about what's up with the "MMO like" IP they are working on and just what is meant by "MMO like" exactly. Maybe it will have a persistent world, something like Destiny?

I honestly think it will be along the lines of what Bungie is doing with Destiny.

Too many racer devs, I know MS is trying to appeal to Europe more, but don't they like any other genre?

Only Turn 10 and Rare are owned by Microsoft, and we don't know for sure that Rare is working on a racing game, let alone what kind of a racing game.

I'm pretty sure rare has more then one team right?

Yes, at least two of them, maybe more. I think they used to have three (maybe two?) main teams and one handheld team, but they got downsized. Now they've obviously grown again.

Jadedx

Banned
Only Turn 10 and Rare are owned by Microsoft, and we don't know for sure that Rare is working on a racing game, let alone what kind of a racing game.

I know, but Lucid is only good for pgr and playground was funded by MS so they will probably exclusive for a while; all these devs are racer devs.

vgJames

Banned
Strange, perhaps the Ex-Codie guys were fatigued of the racing genre and wanted to make something else.

Or they just left to make more racers for more money. Vrooooooooom.

Where are the codemasters UI guys going (if anywhere)? They're probably the best in the business when it comes to creating a great and unique looking menu.

scently

Oh wow, MS is buying Codemasters without buying them, smart.

Anyway, I fully believe that Rare is involved in PGR5, one way or the other.

Yes, at least two of them, maybe more. I think they used to have three (maybe two?) main teams and one handheld team, but they got downsized. Now they've obviously grown again.

Not just more than one team, more than one building.

I'm guessing 3 teams... 2 in the main building, 1 in the secondary.

wow that sounds promising , i cant wait to see what they have to show. They're still talented just lack the direction they showed what they can do on the 360.

Strange, perhaps the Ex-Codie guys were fatigued of the racing genre and wanted to make something else.

Or they just left to make more racers for more money. Vrooooooooom.

Codemasters just ain't what it used to be.

Most of the original team has moved on to Playground or Rare.

Something internally must have happened to make them all jump ship.

Rare is pretty huge, I guess they would have at least 3 teams, they have 200+ at Twycross and ~90 in Leicestershire.

I'm assuming they have been working on next generation projects for some years now, Kinect sports 2 was only co developed by them and im sure it didnt take a lot of resources lol.

I'm assuming they have been working on next generation projects for some years now, Kinect sports 2 was only co developed by them and im sure it didnt take a lot of resources lol.

Yeah, Kinect Sports 2 had pretty much nothing to do with Rare, besides them handing over the tech to someone else.

They've been in next gen mode for quite a while now...

Biggzy

anyone have any clue what kind of studio Microsoft Studios Victoria is and isn't big park a Subsidiary of black tusk or no?

It's a full studio, but what kind of studio I don't know. I have tried to gauge via job listings to what it is but to no avail.

The other studio is in Birmingham, my bad.

Don't worry about it.

Yeah, Kinect Sports 2 had pretty much nothing to do with Rare, besides them handing over the tech to someone else.

They've been in next gen mode for quite a while now...

Big Park developed Season 2. So that leaves a 3 year gap of development when Durnango is released, they are definitely making a launch title.

It's a full studio, but what kind of studio I don't know. I have tried to gauge via job listings to what it is but to no avail.

Don't worry about it.

nice... they been keeping that studio on lockdown when it comes to job listing. hopefully one of these new studios is working on a platformer or action series.

Shiggy

After KS1 was finished, the Viva Pinata team was disbanded and a single team was formed to work on KS2. Things may have changed since then again.

Rare is pretty huge, I guess they would have at least 3 teams, they have 200+ at Twycross and ~90 in Leicestershire.

Where did you get those numbers from? They must have increased their workforce by more than 100 people over the last few months to reach such an enormous number.

From all the leaks and job postings I think I know what 3 games Rare are making, KI3, PD2, Water Racer(blookwake?).

KI3 would be huge if they can pull it off, PD2 meh idk if they can do it without Free Radical Design they were a huge part of why the first was so good. Water racer lets hope MS with a diverse set of games could bring them far.

I know, right? People who think Microsoft are going to roll-over and take it from Sony in the games department is crazy to me. They know that they have to bring it in every theater of war this time, just like the beginning of the 360's life-span.

No. MS only does kinnect. They hate gamers. All they are doing is taking over the television so they can sell you movies and music. People at Redmond don't even like games.

vgJames

Banned
There were layoffs at Codemasters some months ago, no?

A quick google turned up this, http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/18/codemasters-restructuring/ - 80 people reportedly laid in January. Well, I'm glad these guys found their feet quickly.

Wonder if Codemasters have then retained key members of their racing staff (proven sales) and then possibly Rare have got the guys who worked on the likes of Operation Flashpoint: Red River/Overlord etc.?

Codemasters just ain't what it used to be.

Most of the original team has moved on to Playground or Rare.

Something internally must have happened to make them all jump ship.

They're a bigger studio than I expected, and like I found 80 layoffs in January could contribute to the Rare capturing. Perhaps voluntary redundancies etc. have been happening for a while per-restructuring.

Shiggy

What? It was rushed to the market within a year, that's why they needed BigPark to help out.

That's not true.

Big Park developed Season 2. So that leaves a 3 year gap of development when Durnango is released, they are definitely making a launch title.

Big Park co-developed Season 2.

Jadedx

Banned
After KS1 was finished, the Viva Pinata team was disbanded and a single team was formed to work on KS2. Things may have changed since then again.

Where did you get those numbers from? They must have increased their workforce by more than 100 people over the last few months to reach such an enormous number.

the second location started with 90 people, the main location had 200 people in 2007, then about 30 people got laid off in 2011, but they have been hiring for the last year.

have there been any other job listing for Platform Next Studios since the initial findings a year ago? MS still hiring for 343I how big do they want that team to be

Shiggy

the second location started with 90 people, the main location had 200 people in 2007, then about 30 people got laid off in 2011, but they have been hiring for the last year.

Those initial numbers might be right but please keep in mind that they got rid off their art and testing departments. Based on the KS1 and KS2 credits, there were around 150 people working at Rare Ltd. (in total). The Birmingham branch is not a seperate team working on its own games from what we know.

Also keep in mind that they have been hiring a lot recently, but apparently only because they failed to retain their old employees. Names like Flippin Pixels or preciousbluedot come to my mind as the most recent examples from the past few months.

Top Bottom