• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft making at least four new IPs

Wonder if Codemasters have then retained key members of their racing staff (proven sales) and then possibly Rare have got the guys who worked on the likes of Operation Flashpoint: Red River/Overlord etc.?

Well, they were looking for people with action/adventure or FPS experience... Bizarre folks they've hired might have also been considered for their experience with Bizarre's action titles.

Biggzy

have there been any other job listing for Platform Next Studios since the initial findings a year ago? MS still hiring for 343I how big do they want that team to be

If Microsoft want 343i to be the only development studio that makes Halo games then they need it to be a 2 team studio at least.

Rare had a pretty heavy hand in the development of Kinect Sports 2. Big Park only worked on American Football and Skiing, Rare worked on the other 4 sports as well as the voice recognition and menu system.

gaming_noob

Marlow Briggs...

Origin of the name 'Marlow':

It is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Marlow is "driftwood". The original phrase literally means "lake leavings" or "drained lake"

Origin of the name 'Briggs':
Briggs \b-riggs, br(ig)-gs\ as a boy's name is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Briggs is "bridges".

abadguy

Banned
Marlow Briggs is one fucking cool name, I don't want it to be some casual game.

Was watching Skyfall the other day, and thought of how cool it would be to have a secret agent bond style action adventure game. Uncharted pretty much has the Indiana Jones/King Salomon's Mines thing going on for videogames. Maybe Marlow Brigs could be MS's 007.

Or they could always go for a hard boiled detective game, the name would fit well for either i think.

Linkified

Was watching Skyfall the other day, and thought of how cool it would be to have a secret agent bond style action adventure game. Uncharted pretty much has the Indiana Jones/King Salomon's Mines thing going on for videogames. Maybe Marlow Brigs could be MS's 007.

Or they could always go for a hard boiled detective game, the name would fit well for either i think.

They already had their chance to have that - Jo Dark is that very person.

Also keep in mind that they have been hiring a lot recently, but apparently only because they failed to retain their old employees.

I'm not so sure about that, most of those employees didn't quit, they were let go. I think people underestimate how demanding developing for Kinect may be. It's a completely new paradigm, going from discrete digital to continuous analog input, it takes a lot of clever thinking to make sense of that data, and to come up with interesting ways of using it. Rare merging its teams into a single unit dedicated to Kinect development supports that, the whole of Lionhead (another multi-team studio) having to work on Fable: The Journey supports that, From Software failing with their ambitious plans for Steel Battalion supports that, Microsoft demanding Ryse's development to be taken over by Crytek's main team supports that.

But even if you need twice as many designers and programmers during that transitional period, you don't really need all that many artists. So what do you do? You either keep paying them for doing very little work or you let them go. Considering how many people used to dislike Rare's recent art output, with all the googly eyes jokes and criticism directed at Avatars, Joanna Dark and Banjo redesigns, it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft perhaps wanted to shake up things a little in that department.

Could Marlow briggs be the name of the black tusk game?

That's my assumption.
However, not the name of the game, but the name of the main character.

Do main characters in games typically get trademarked like that?

From all the leaks and job postings I think I know what 3 games Rare are making, KI3, PD2, Water Racer(blookwake?).

I'm guessing Perfect Dark 2 and a racer for launch with a Jet Force Gemini or Conker game for later.

Linkified

I'm not so sure about that, most of those employees didn't quit, they were let go. I think people underestimate how demanding developing for Kinect may be. It's a completely new paradigm, going from discrete digital to continuous analog input, it takes a lot of clever thinking to make sense of that data, and to come up with interesting ways of using it. Rare merging its teams into a single unit dedicated to Kinect development supports that, the whole of Lionhead (another multi-team studio) having to work on Fable: The Journey supports that, From Software failing with their ambitious plans for Steel Battalion supports that, Microsoft demanding Ryse's development to be taken over by Crytek's main team supports that.

But even if you need twice as many designers and programmers during that transitional period, you don't really need all that many artists. So what do you do? You either keep paying them for doing very little work or you let them go. Considering how many people used to dislike Rare's recent art output, with all the googly eyes jokes and criticism directed at Avatars, Joanna Dark and Banjo redesigns, it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft perhaps wanted to shake up things a little in that department.

If anything I would say Microsoft will just let Kinect be a NUI for Media content on the 720.

I would say Crytek moving Ryse between the studios is more to do with Microsoft wanting them to improve the quality and to change the gameplay to a pure controller standpoint.

If anything I would say Microsoft will just let Kinect be a NUI for Media content on the 720.

I would say Crytek moving Ryse between the studios is more to do with Microsoft wanting them to improve the quality and to change the gameplay to a pure controller standpoint.

I think MS finally understands that Kinect is not able to be utilized for hardcore games.

Yeah, that goofy trailer was the laughing stock of E3 when they showed it.

I assume Microsoft was not too happy about Crytek turning in that crap and forced them to switch studios and direction for the project.

The original trailer seemed like it was gonna be a god of war style brawler and I hope they go back to that.

I assume Microsoft was not too happy about Crytek turning in that crap and forced them to switch studios and direction for the project.

The original trailer seemed like it was gonna be a god of war style brawler and I hope they go back to that.

man i thought we was about to get a game like spartacus or 300.. we ended up getting some goofy shit :(

look at this http://youtu.be/kMclpDcG0tU

Biggzy

The rumour is that Microsoft were not happy with the way the game was shaping up and so demanded that the game be developed by Crytek Frankfurt rather than Crytek Budapest and pushed the game to Durango. So it wouldn't be surprising if the game doesn't resemble anything what it was originally going to be.

The rumour is that Microsoft were not happy with the way the game was shaping up and so demanded that the game be developed by Crytek Frankfurt rather than Crytek Budapest and pushed the game to Durango. So it wouldn't be surprising if the game doesn't resemble anything what it was originally going to be.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...est_Kinect_Game_Moves_Foward.php#.UTAIhjApw8p

yup crytek should be ashamed of themselves, it sounds to me that they tried to pull a aliens

I don't know where you got that from, I'm pretty sure Ryse will be one of their most prominent Kinect games aimed at core gamers.

man i thought we was about to get a game like spartacus or 300.. we ended up getting some goofy shit :(

look at this http://youtu.be/kMclpDcG0tU

I think the second trailer looked great, I can't tell what was supposed to be goofy about it. One thing I do not want Ryse to be is Xbox's version of God of War, and that's what the first teaser unfortunately reminds me of.

That leaked concept art was very tasty, however, but it turned out it was for an unrelated project.

Biggzy

Karak

Wouldn't go that far. It seems to me that Crytek made a deal with Microsoft, got one of their other studios to make it, it wasn't turning out well, so Microsoft, the ones most probably funding the development, demanded that the A team of Crytek rescue the project.

Ya. Better that than cutting the entire thing when the game wasn't working out like Obsidian.
Not that I blame MS for that actually.

I don't know where you got that from, I'm pretty sure Ryse will be one of their most prominent Kinect games aimed at core gamers.

I think the second trailer looked great, I can't tell what was supposed to be goofy about it. One thing I do not want Ryse to be is Xbox's version of God of War, and that's what the first teaser unfortunately reminds me of.

That leaked concept art was very tasty, however, but it turned out it was for an unrelated project.

The 2nd trailer looked great until they got up into the kinect controls, the atmosphere looks promising. I hope its not a GOW clone either, i rather it be a regular action game.

phil spencer alluded to it being a "better with kinect" title
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/cryteks-ryse-still-in-the-works-kinect-will-be-part-of-it/

Wouldn't go that far. It seems to me that Crytek made a deal with Microsoft, got one of their other studios to make it, it wasn't turning out well, so Microsoft, the ones most probably funding the development, demanded that the A team of Crytek rescue the project. O
A game like this deserves their best talent, i wouldn't go as far as saying its an alien situation but it wasn't properly taken care of IMO.

Biggzy

A game like this deserves their best talent, i wouldn't go as far as saying its an alien situation but it wasn't properly taken care of IMO.

Well we know little about the game, but I am sure Microsoft wouldn't go to a developer of Crytek's pedigree and agree a deal for them to make a mediocre game that is for sure.

The 2nd trailer looked great until they got up into the kinect controls, the atmosphere looks promising.

That part looked the most interesting to me, but to each his own.

He alluded to it being a hybrid game, but that doesn't mean it would necessarily be "better with Kinect", i.e. a game in which Kinect is optional. Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, which they mention, is not a "better with Kinect" game, it requires it. I believe Ryse will be similar in that regard, but who knows...

I highly doubt Ryse will be a fully Kinect game like the 2nd trailer.

They changed studios for a reason.

It will probably have some type of voice commands or something, but that's it.

I highly doubt Ryse will be a fully Kinect game like the 2nd trailer.

They changed studios for a reason.

It will probably have some type of voice commands or something, but that's it.

I don't know why some people think that, except that they want it to be true. Microsoft will continue trying to sell core gamers on Kinect, especially now that it's probably going to be an integral part of the console, and Ryse seems to be an obvious candidate for the job. They didn't upgrade the tech just to allow for more precise flailing around in casual games, the advances are there to enable more reliable input and deeper experiences. Without the games to demonstrate that, those resources would be wasted. So while I think that most core games will indeed be "better with Kinect", Microsoft will undoubtedly push some gamers' titles which demonstrate Kinect's full capabilities - it's their duty as a platform holder - and again, I think Ryse is well positioned to be among them.

I don't know why some people think that, except that they want it to be true. Microsoft will continue trying to sell core gamers on Kinect, especially now that it's probably going to be an integral part of the console, and Ryse seems to be an obvious candidate for the job. They didn't upgrade the tech just to allow for more precise flailing around in casual games, the advances are there to enable more reliable input and deeper experiences. Without the games to demonstrate that, those resources would be wasted. So while I think that most core games will indeed be "better with Kinect", Microsoft will undoubtedly push some gamers' titles which demonstrate Kinect's full capabilities - it's their duty as a platform holder - and again, I think Ryse is well positioned to be among them.

After the failing of Fable the journey and countless other games before it im sure MS understands that Kinect int suited for core games. at best it will be for simple concepts in the game. it will absolutely be a major part though doubt its for combat.

After the failing of Fable the journey and countless other games before it im sure MS understands that Kinect int suited for core games. at best it will be for simple concepts in the game. it will absolutely be a major part though doubt its for combat.

Countless, huh? I can count six, maybe seven released Kinect games aimed at core gamers (not counting those with optional Kinect functionality like Forza, Mass Effect and Skyrim), most of which had relatively low budgets, and some of which were pretty damn good. But I don't want to argue over this anymore, let's just take a wait-and-see approach.

Brashnir

I guess it all depends on how accurate we're expecting Kinect 2.0 to be. I'll take a wait-and-see approach until we see some specs on the thing, but I have a pretty low confidence level at this point. (I know we saw some specs like the resolution increase, which is nice, but what we really need to know how many Hz the thing is recording data at. If it's not 120hz or above - 240 or 360hz is where it really needs to be - the thing has no chance to work well)

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Rumor is that they dropped Kinect when it moved to next-gen, which was sometime last year. Might be closer to a MS version of GoW now, I dunno.

I suspect that it moved to the main Crytek studio because Crytek projects outside of Crysis are supposedly clusterfucks with little in the way of oversight. It would go a long way in explaining why they've cancelled twice as many projects as they have released.

Also, I don't know where people are getting that Rare isn't making Kinect Sports 3 when they said they are. They definitely seem to have a launch period title for Durango—whether that is KS3 and/or something else, I'm not sure.

derFeef

And watch them all be first person shooters lol
image.php

Why not!

Crossing my fingers for a non-kinect Rare game...a man can dream. I'd buy the next Xbox if that were the case. That's saying something considering all those unsavory Xbox 720 rumors.

Biggzy

Ya. Better that than cutting the entire thing when the game wasn't working out like Obsidian.
Not that I blame MS for that actually.

The Obsidian rumor is a weird one. Apparently they only had been working on the game for 6 months when Microsoft decided to cancel the project. I can only see two reasons for this: Either the project was already turning in to a disaster and rather try and fix it, they just cancelled it, or there was a change in direction at Microsoft and they wanted to fund a different type of game.

The Obsidian rumor is a weird one. Apparently they only had been working on the game for 6 months when Microsoft decided to cancel the project. I can only see two reasons for this: Either the project was already turning in to a disaster and rather try and fix it, they just cancelled it, or there was a change in direction at Microsoft and they wanted to fund a different type of game.

I love Obsidian, but it given their track record, it was probably number one.

Their games, while great, aren't technically impressive and often ship with numerous bugs and other issues, I can see a scenario where Microsoft looked at the game as it was and decided it wasn't worth pursuing any further.

Biggzy

I love Obsidian, but it given their track record, it was probably number one.

Their games, while great, aren't technically impressive and often ship with numerous bugs and other issues, I can see a scenario where Microsoft looked at the game as it was and decided it wasn't worth pursuing any further.

Especially as I suspect Microsoft would have wanted the game as a lunch title and so the deadline was tight. In an ideal world a major publisher would purchase Obsidian and whip them up into shape on the technical front, but I fear that would make Obsidian lose what makes them Obsidian.

TheOddOne

My biggest takeaway from the Obsidian rumor was that it was so out of left field that Microsoft was working with them. Makes me wonder who else they might have partnered with besides their usual stable of developers they work with.

Biggzy

My biggest takeaway from the Obsidian rumor was that it was so out of left field that Microsoft was working with them. Makes me wonder who else they might have partnered with besides their usual stable of developers they work with.

I don't think it is very left field. If Microsoft wanted a 'core title' for launch or close to it, then it is not a bad idea to partner with Obsidian.

Especially as I suspect Microsoft would have wanted the game as a lunch title and so the deadline was tight. In an ideal world a major publisher would purchase Obsidian and whip them up into shape on the technical front, but I fear that would make Obsidian lose what makes them Obsidian.

Agreed. It's a shame the game was canned though, I'm sure it would have been a great title whatever it was, but Obsidian are sorely overdue a technical overhaul.

That's all they really need to do, once they have a more firm grip on their technical side of development, they would fast become a force to be reckoned with.

Wasn't there a suggestion they were looking to work closer with European developers? I wonder how much that will factor into the next generation and any exclusives.

Games like hard Reset, The Witcher, Metro all came out of Europe. Seems a sensible and forward thinking thing to do, if they are indeed working closer with European developers.

Biggzy

Wasn't there a suggestion they were looking to work closer with European developers? I wonder how much that will factor into the next generation and any exclusives.

Games like hard Reset, The Witcher, Metro all came out of Europe. Seems a sensible and forward thinking thing to do, if they are indeed working closer with European developers.

That is part of Phil Harrison's job description.

That is part of Phil Harrison's job description.

Yes, and his initial focus is on SmartGlass:

Edge said:
It's a really complicated technical problem to solve – to get the integration seamlessly play and resume on different devices and move content from the screen to the touch device, and vice versa, via the cloud. I think Microsoft is one of a small handful of companies on the planet that has the capability to do it.

Top Bottom