• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q1: 2.4 M 360+XBO shipped

EGM1966

I still think that shipment is low considering the price cut, the removal of Kinect and launching in 28 more countries. They shipped more than 100k to China alone.

We know Xbox One has been lagging behind in the US and we know it is even worse worldwide.

It is good they've cleared inventory though.
None of the other countries will rarely be as large as the reported 100k (and subsequent reports seem to indicate post the launch spike average sales are much less in China on-going).

The sensible estimates for shipments make sense; not least because other reports confirm Sony sales ratio advantage so we know top down XB1 likely hasn't closed the gap in any significant way vs PS4 shipments.

Interesting to know that Surface is making as many money as Xbox One, and actually making a profit from it.

Bearing in mind that Surface is one of the most expensive Win tablets out there, this helps figuring how PC sales are shrinking consoles market.

I wonder how will they try to justify this generation in 3 years from now.

Respawn

Banned
Interesting to know that Surface is making as many money as Xbox One, and actually making a profit from it.

Bearing in mind that Surface is one of the most expensive Win tablets out there, this helps figuring how PC sales are shrinking consoles market.

I wonder how will they try to justify this generation in 3 years from now.
That's because the new surface is worth the price. The thing is phenomenal.

We don't really have numbers but if you look at the PAL charts every week its not something i would call impossible.
I think Europe (especially tier 2) got massively overshipped because most retailers had imported from Germany and the UK, i'm not sure if its 1m but it definately doesn't sound impossible.

the little evidence we have suggests it has not fallen any harder than it has in the US, so I don't know why this idea still persists

edit: regarding the sell-through discussion, I think it's obvious there's extra stock due to tier 2 launches

* Numbers represent the ceiling for Xbox One estimate and Floor for PS4 Estimate.

So basically they are taking the lowest possible estimate for the PS4 and comparing it to the highest possible estimate for Xbox One. Seriously? Why skew the data that way? Shouldn't they be comparing on equal terms? Such as the floor for both, or the ceiling for both? The method they are using is the one method that would produce the smallest difference. Interesting.

As a company, the overall numbers are great. For the console, it's good but not great, especially compared to Sony's PS4. Pretty much the opposite of the situation at Sony where the company is a disaster as a whole, but the PS division is doing OK. Gaming isn't a huge money-maker for either company though.

Rant Mode: It blows my mind how MS is still so valuable as an enterprise. Their core products, Windows and Office, have got more and more crap over the years, but they have such a monopoly in the PC space they can keep printing money. I can't believe I use word as my professional software...It is pretty...casual...in a lowest common denominator way...

They actually did good with the Xbox 360. Their intro of the xbone was in keeping with much of their modern ethos, except they didn't have the defacto monopoly.

orochi91

* Numbers represent the ceiling for Xbox One estimate and Floor for PS4 Estimate.

So basically they are taking the lowest possible estimate for the PS4 and comparing it to the highest possible estimate for Xbox One. Seriously? Why skew the data that way? Shouldn't they be comparing on equal terms? Such as the floor for both, or the ceiling for both? The method they are using is the one method that would produce the smallest difference. Interesting.

PS dominating a gen again has left folks shook for some reason.

I've seen too much logic fly out the window regarding these new consoles.

Ranger X

Its only because they wanna say "X sells AT LEAST that amount more than Y".
Its just being safe in their claims.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That ars article is just wrong.

First, they are comparing Xbox SHIPMENTS to PlayStation SELL THROUGH.
These are two completely different things.

Second they haven't taken into account the NPD figures for September regarding the PS4.

Thirdly they are flipping comparing SHIPMENTS to SELL THROUGH!

That article needs to be re-written, either where they estimate X1 sell through better or they estimate PS4 shipments to go along with the 7.75m xbox number. The PS4 is easily over 10.6m as ars estimate when it comes to sell through. Probably even as high as 12 million + sell through as of Sep 30th 2014.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Btw, I just want to post these here.

They are predictions I made back in January 2014 when we got numbers for Q4 2013. Posted on a couple of forums so I can post the original link if anyone wants me to.

I tried to estimate what we would see in terms of shipments by the end of the year. I think I've been pretty close so far. Like I said on my previous post on this thread though, I'd estimate ~7.35m for X1 shipped and ~12m PS4 shipped. But not bad for an estimate I made back in January.

X1PS4_zps69c69e86.jpg

GhaleonEB

That ars article is just wrong.

First, they are comparing Xbox SHIPMENTS to PlayStation SELL THROUGH.
These are two completely different things.

Second they haven't taken into account the NPD figures for September regarding the PS4.

Thirdly they are flipping comparing SHIPMENTS to SELL THROUGH!
There are three paragraphs in the article explaining how they try to normalize shipments to sell through. I think their assumptions are poor, but it's not like they're taking the numbers at face value and running with them.

Game Guru

Can someone explain something to me?

Throughout the history of video games, we have seen company after company become the leader of the industry with clear market and mindshare ownership. And every single time we see whatever company is in the lead do the exact same thing that the company they took the lead from did; "we are gaming personified, everyone will fall lock step in with us and we will rule forever".

Atari, Nintendo, Sony, Nintendo again, Microsoft, they all do it. Over and over. Some of the marketshare leads have been mind blowingly HUGE and still it gets pissed away by hubris.

It's 2014. Why is this still happening?

The mistakes of various console makers are vastly different. Atari's fall of dominance was because the North American market crashed in part because there needed to be someone willing to ensure games had quality control, which is what Nintendo did. However, Nintendo was too controlling in regards to what third-parties wanted, which is where Sony came in to steal Nintendo's market. However, Sony's mistake was making a console that was literally twice as expensive as their competitors which allowed Microsoft to gain marketshare and Nintendo to dominate. Conversely, Nintendo and Microsoft depended too much on the casual market when the casual market had left to mobile and PC, which allowed Sony who had never been successful with motion controls to retake the market that they lost. It didn't help that Nintendo can't get any notable third-party support and Microsoft wanted to force online DRM and put restrictions on the used game market.

Raist

Banned

Interesting?

I'm not quite sure how the hell they get that 10.56M through september figure for the PS4, given that we know that it sold through 10M WW in early august, and then another ~700k in the US and ~90k in Japan. That's already way past their number, and not counting more than half of the WW market.

Your post ended with dismissing the entire article based them lumping the two to get a theoretical maximum XBO shipment figure, when that was refined immediately after.

To your point, I do wish the writers at Ars would familiarize themselves with the scope of data that is available before tackling this topic. He basically only uses PR and earnings release data for the deductions, where there is much more available.

And that is exactly the problem with the article. Why rely on total speculation based on a completely made-up formula that only looks at shipments and PR when there is plenty of hard data on actual sell through available? In my view, that is enough to dismiss the article (and its ridiculously inaccurate estimates) out of hand.

~12M PS4 and ~6M XB1 are the best WW sell-through estimate based on NPD data, respective performances of each console in Europe and WW and the announcements of sold-through numbers from Sony.

jiggle

Interesting?

I'm not quite sure how the hell they get that 10.56M through september figure for the PS4, given that we know that it sold through 10M WW in early august, and then another ~700k in the US and ~90k in Japan. That's already way past their number, and not counting more than half of the WW market.
Man, don't read too much into concrete data

Cole Slaw

Banned
Damn, to think that same time last gen, Sony was looking like it was going to go the way of the Sega.

Microsoft missed itself a great opportunity to develop the XB1 with a better architecture, launch a year later, and make the PS4 look like this gen's Dreamcast.

It would've been so super ironic.

Damn, to think that same time last gen, Sony was looking like it was going to go the way of the Sega.

Microsoft missed itself a great opportunity to develop the XB1 with a better architecture, launch a year later, and make the PS4 look like this gen's Dreamcast.

Europe won't let the PS4 become the Dreamcast. They'll just be losing even further.

Bgamer90

Banned

No way; Last gen went on for too long -- many people would have just been fine with the PS4.

The XB1 would have an even bigger hill to climb up. The Playstation brand is far more popular.

Cole Slaw

Banned
With all the cross gen games abounding, including Titanfall and Destiny, Microsoft could've used hype alone to convince people to wait another year. EA must have been too trigger happy with those DRM policies though. Now that's ironic, EA inadvertently setting up Microsoft's next console to be the next Dreamcast.

Microsoft Q1 Results (ended September 30, 2014)

Code:
              Xbox 360  Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ?         ?        ?

- Xbox 360 sales rise to 84 million (June 9, 2014)

I found some errors:

In FY 2008/2009 total should be 11.1 (2.2 +6.0+1.7+1.2) instead of 11.2, and an LTD of 31,4 instead of 31,5
In FY 2010/2011 total should be 13.5 (2.8+6.3+2.7+1.7) instead of 13.7. This time the error doesn't interfere with LTD, that should be 55,2 instead of 55,3 (for the previous error in FY 2008/2009) so I think it's just a typo.

So (changes are bolded):

Code:
              Xbox 360  Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3  

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.[B]1[/B]     31.[B]4[/B]  

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.[B]7[/B]

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.5     55.[B]2[/B] 

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.[B]2[/B]

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.[B]1[/B]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ?         ?        ?

- Xbox 360 sales rise to 84 million (June 9, 2014)
Also if in early June 2014 Xbox 360 passed the 84 million mark, and as of march the LTD was 83,6m, we can estimate a Q4 of minimum 0,4m.
Total console shipment for Q4 was 1,1m (360+XBO)
I'd find reasonable XBO>360 for this quarter so I'd go with ~0,5m for Xbox 360 in the last Q4 (as of the end of June 2014).
For Q1 i'm fine with the reasonable interventions from other fellow gaffers. ~1,7m XBOnes leave ~0,7m for Xbox 360 (2,4m is the total). A reasonable number because Q1 usually is bigger than Q4 and in-line with PS3 that sold 0,8m in the same quarter.

bold me if i'm wrong

PS4 would already be close to 20 million sold if Xbox One launched a year later. It would literally be PS2 era domination again and Microsoft knew that.

Top Bottom