• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q1: 2.4 M 360+XBO shipped

Boke1879

So they were probably around 9.9 mill in the beginning with August...that leaves roughly 5 months -including holidays- to reach 8m, from which 2m was done in 2 months....my bet is PS4 will end up around 16.5-17m. They don't really have a heavy hitter for the holidays..

Destiny, GTAV, Call of Duty, Far Cry, PS4 popularity, Holidays, Black Friday. Both PS4 and Xb1 will sell just fine.

Duxxy3

The Jl-Sp shipped # of 2.4 mil combined units along with PS4's great month with Destiny has to be a good sign for the consoles market in general though, right? Even though it's 360 + XB1? Second highest shipped units in last decade essentially behind 2010-11 and crushes most years in that window.

Anything that pushes people to buy next gen consoles is good for gaming.

(secretly i'm tired of seeing friends still on their 360's)

Miles X

Yeah, thats probably what they'll do but i think its the wrong decision.

If they decide to make another console they can't ignore almost every market, at some point investors will want to see growth and ignoring Europe and Asia could kill the Xbox brand in these countries(for future consoles).
They gained a lot of ground in europe with the 360 and lost almost everything this gen because they just focused on the US and to a lesser extent the UK market.
They need to invest in european markets by making good and diversive games and increase their visibility (Its almost non existent here in Germany in the meantime it feels like sony has a new add every 2 weeks).

You don't need to tell me, their efforts in Europe since the gaming divisions inception have dumbfounded me. 360 didn't do to bad there tho to be fair, 25m+ is about what PS3 did in the US.

I would say below average.
You know what's going on, when one of them (MS/Sony/Ninty) combines last&next gen numbers and only reveals "shipped" numbers.

This is hilarious. You know Sony are doing exactly the same thing right?

Xando

You don't need to tell me, their efforts in Europe since the gaming divisions inception have dumbfounded me. 360 didn't do to bad there tho to be fair, 25m+ is about what PS3 did in the US.

I feel like there was good potential for a 360 successor in Europe but we all know what happened then.

ethomaz

Banned
7.5m is a good round figure tho. Defo has to be above WiiU surely?
Yeap... around 7.5m I guess it is a good estimate... can be lower or higher 5% but it is close enought :D

Well to be above Wii U Nintendo needs to ship less than 200-300k... I don't believe that... at least this quarter Wii U will be ahead yet.

PS. Or I'm guessing wrong... Wii U last quarter numbers was 7.3m, no?

Edit - Dammit... Wii U last number was 6.7m... so huge changes to Xbone be above.

I would say below average.
You know what's going on, when one of them (MS/Sony/Ninty) combines last&next gen numbers and only reveals "shipped" numbers.

uh let's see....

1. both Microsoft and Sony are now combining numbers like this, but more importantly:
2. these are always shipped numbers

also apparently Nintendo is doing the best by this logic since they're the only ones not combining stuff

Yeap... around 7.5m I guess it is a good estimate... can be lower or higher 5% but it is close enought :D

Well to be above Wii U Nintendo needs to ship less than 200-300k... I don't believe that... at least this quarter Wii U will be ahead yet.

PS. Or I'm guessing wrong... Wii U last quarter numbers was 7.3m, no?

no, shipments were 6.68m lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The additional countries launching mean that any increase in Xb1 shipments doesn't really tell us anything about the relative success or otherwise. They could be stuffing channels in those countries or they could be selling well. We just don't know.

And whether they have shipped 7-7.5m, is that really useful at all? Surely what we want to know is how well they are selling through, and we haven't had any concrete data outside of the U.S. for a long time.

NPD Q1 - 270k~, Q3 - 180k~

I'd expect a bit more of a drop over Q1's shipments.

The only way I would draw that same conclusion would be to compare NPD sales of the 360 last year to this year. Comparing NPD sales by calendar quarter and trying to determine YOY shipment drops from that seems illogical, it would make far more sense to simply use past 360 shipment data and estimate the YOY decline from that like below.

Code:
Financial Year 2012/2013 -> 2013/2014 YOY changes for 360 shipments
------------------------------------------------

Quarter    |   Q1   |    Q2  |    Q3  |    Q4  |
FY12/13    |   1.7  |   5.9  |   1.3  |   1.0  |
FY13/14    |   1.2  |   3.5  |   0.8  |   ???  |
YOY Change | -29.5% | -40.5% | -38.5% |   ???

Average YOY change = -36.2%

Also it is super confusing and unhelpful to start using calender year when talking about quarters when MS has such a offset financial year. IE Q1 Calendar = Q3 Financial

Miles X

Ah but they don't. They release separate platforms sell-through as well as cumulative units shipments.

Is that why we have a PS3 LTD shipped? ;-)

They give milestones, they don't give cumulative lifetime anymore (unless they have changed very recently?) proof?

Oh alright, let's make the comparison more comparable: Sony's last quarter revenue was $23 billion.

Now what exactly is your point? Well of course outside of your intentional, but unnecessary mockery at Sony in which you failed simply because revenue has little to nothing to do with market cap.

Sony is releasing their numbers next week, see if that $23b you just claimed they did last quarter (can't find anything on $23b) reflects on the numbers.

The fact that they haven't announced Xbox One sales on their own for months and months is fact enough it isn't doing well.

Sony can't wait to announce their next milestone on a regular basis, while Microsoft fluffs their reports all the time.

Can't wait for Sunset Overdrive!

The fact that they haven't announced Xbox One sales on their own for months and months is fact enough it isn't doing well.

Sony can't wait to announce their next milestone on a regular basis, while Microsoft fluffs their reports all the time.

Can't wait for Sunset Overdrive!

That's a great point. When was the last time Microsoft announced a new Xbox One sales milestone? I mean, it's been months.

Anything that pushes people to buy next gen consoles is good for gaming.

(secretly i'm tired of seeing friends still on their 360's)

Seriously. I know quite a few as well. After this holiday, any of them still lounging around in last gen can just go ahead and turn in their gaming card.

DieH@rd

Banned
Code:
Worldwide shipments
		Oct-Dec 	 Jan-Mar	Apr-Jun		[B]Jul-Sep[/B]
Xbox One+360	7.4          	2.0		1.1		[B]2.4[/B]
PS4+PS3		7.8		3.7		3.5		[B]?[/B]

Note that before PS4/Xbone arrived, Sony usually started shipments for holidays earlier than MS, which led to MS having better shipment results in Oct-Dec quarter. We shall see what will happen this year when both consoles can be found easily in stores. Jul-Sep for Sony can be much larger than this 2.4mil from MS if they have started those shipments earlier.

Sony is releasing their numbers next week, see if that $23b you just claimed they did last quarter (can't find anything on $23b) reflects on the numbers.

It's completely bullshit, Sony's market cap is 20B, their TOTAL revenue if you don't even minus out the operating expenses etc. was 1.8B last quarter and not 23B. Net income was only a bit over 400mil, the prior quarter then lost almost 700mil.

A company with revenue of 23Bil would have a market cap SIGNIFICANTLY higher then 20Bil.

LOL, silly people talking about something they know nothing about.

Youch. Maybe it will just be Ninty and Sony by 2017...

Sometimes reading Sales-Age stupidity can be headache inducing. It's unbelievable how out of touch some people here are and then go around to criticize Pachter when in actuality the general consensus here tends to be just as poorly informed.

To keep it simple: The XBO is indeed doing well. It is poised to most likely sell less than the 360 but not by the levels some are predicting here, more likely a marginal decline. It won't come close to the PS4 worldwide but it doesn't need to in order to justify it's existence, just do well enough to convince Microsoft to continue supporting the division which it is. The system on the extreme (Highly unlikely) low end will probably end up over 40 million, maybe as high as 70 million. Systems that sell like that aren't just discontinued the way people around here are claiming. It might not be ideal but to claim that they would drop a division over it is ridiculous.

Sometimes reading Sales-Age stupidity can be headache inducing. It's unbelievable how out of touch some people here are and then go around to criticize Pachter when in actuality the general consensus here tends to be just as poorly informed.

To keep it simple: The XBO is indeed doing well. It is poised to most likely sell less than the 360 but not by the levels some are predicting here, more likely a marginal decline. It won't come close to the PS4 worldwide but it doesn't need to in order to justify it's existence, just do well enough to convince Microsoft to continue supporting the division which it is. The system on the extreme (Highly unlikely) low end will probably end up over 40 million, maybe as high as 70 million. Systems that sell like that aren't just discontinued the way people around here are claiming. It might not be ideal but to claim that they would drop a division over it is ridiculous.

Thank you!

Top Bottom