• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

Zalman

Surprisingly low. Not sure what more they can do. Probably a Halo Collection bundle this holiday with one year of Live or something.

CozMick

Banned
Where are people getting the "it'll be fine in the US and UK" from?

US sure, but the UK is a dying market for Microsoft, this week see's a single Xbox one game in the top 20. Yep. 1.

Not looking good at all.

Amir0x

Banned

US sure, but the UK is a dying market for Microsoft, this week see's a single Xbox one game in the top 20. Yep. 1.

Not looking good at all.

That's why we can draw the conclusion that first place is lost. With Sony continuing to win month-to-month in the US, there's no other place for Microsoft to recoup that decline. Europe is Sony's, and what little is left of Japan is for mobiles. There's no place. They'd have to hope for some type of insane explosion in China or something, I'm not even sure what their shipment/marketing strategy is for that territory. Might be a variable in the future, who knows. Not sure it will be this gen

Yoda

Price drop for September then.

The media has reported the new SKU as a price drop which it technically isn't (they removed the value ala the kinect). If they dropped the price twice in less than half a year it would cement the impression of an inferior product. A price-drop would also cost them money as they most likely would be subsidizing the console at that point. The money would be better spent securing a massive third-party exclusive(s). The problem is Spencer =/= Mattrick when it comes to leveraging the corporate bank account. The higher-ups (mainly Elop) would have to approve such an aggressive strategy and the chance of that happening are about the same as the Republicans agreeing with Obama on anything (none).

You really think it's bigger than Smash Bro's? I know a few people who are waiting for Smash Bro's. Then again that's for another topic. I wonder if Nintendo will be able to sustain these number! I hope so, because things were looking bleak.

Mario Kart is a sales beast. It's definitely a bigger draw than Smash. That's not to say Smash won't do well, but MK is a different beast entirely.

That's why we can draw the conclusion that first place is lost. With Sony continuing to win month-to-month in the US, there's no other place for Microsoft to recoup that decline. Europe is Sony's, and what little is left of Japan is for mobiles. There's no place. They'd have to hope for some type of insane explosion in China or something, I'm not even sure what their shipment/marketing strategy is for that territory. Might be a variable in the future, who knows. Not sure it will be this gen

I feel like China will go from PC to Mobile in a heartbeat. The US seems to be the only major console country where people actually want to spend time at home, in front of their TVs anymore.

Europe too, to some degree obviously.

Bundy

Banned
Is this good or bad?

Microsoft is burning through existing inventory in the retail channel instead of making more shipments. This is not a good situation to be in.

That sounds really, really bad...

I mean, 1.1 million SHIPPED? And that includes 360?

That's not very promising for the XBONE.
Yeah, but I knew this would happen.
Sales in the US dropped. And in europe, the Xbone is bomba-meterial.

Savitar

Makes me wonder how much of this is due to the negative PR blunder that came out before the system was released until MS backtracked. A lot of people said that was overcome and was no longer an issue but I got no doubt it's kept many away.

s3ltzer

Banned
I believe their core products now are office/enterprise suite, azure, etc... I feel like windows isn't even 100% necessary.

Nadella has implied it over and again but I think people are going to see some massive changes with the type of business they become in the next few years.

I agree. I can see MS refocusing its priorities with the new CEO at the helm. they may keep the Xbox brand, but not necessarily as a gaming console.

heck, with all the blunders that MS pulled with the XBO and its launch, sometimes it feels like it was sabotaged on purpose. this tends to make things easier for investors to approve a drastic change when the time comes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I feel like China will go from PC to Mobile in a heartbeat. The US seems to be the only major console country where people actually want to spend time at home, in front of their TVs anymore.

Europe too, to some degree obviously.

Nah, don't remotely see that happening. They love their moba's, mmo's and browser games too much.

Raist

Banned
If the Wii u drops massively from and the Xbox 1 drops significantly from X360 and the PS4 isn't picking up the slack then it's a foregone conclusion. The Contraction was always all but confirmed with the loss of the way audience. The question was always just by how much.

I think it's wildly overestimated. Just like your comment on 3rd party.
I'm pretty sure games have a pretty defined potential user base. It doesn't really matter which console it's on. So if Xbox gets canned for instance, CoD wouldn't suddenly sell 5M tops.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Bingo. Wii U has had plenty enough time to make a fairly accurate prediction going forward. It's never going to happen for the system, unfortunately. Distant third, would be remarkable if it matched Gamecube. That's the bar it's aiming for, GCN... and it'll be lucky to hit that. But that's a separate topic :p
To me a console is a bit like a sports team. With the recruit of an MVP player + some good execution, a season can look a lot different than the previous one. I believe Xbox One and Wii U will both get a high profile recruit this holiday, which will change their roster thus their chances. So while I strongly disagree on your approach to predict things, I look forward to seeing how things go for Xbox One in NA and in other regions.

Amir0x

Banned
Anybody is following the call? http://live.arstechnica.com/microsoft-q4-2014-earnings-call/

I want to know if they will split the shipment.

No, not much on that as I can see from the liveblog. But here's their reconfirmation that they have fundamentally shifted their focus to core games for XBO:

Now, a few comments on Xbox

It's important to have a core that's thriving and it's also important to place smart, bold bets on areas you can have impact. With that in mind, we made the decision to maximize value with a focus on gaming. This is the largest digital life category, and it's a place where our past successes, brand, and fanbase present us a great opportunity.

We'll invest in our core gaming and Xbox Live areas with a few toward mobile opportunities. Also know that we're well underway in evolving our culture to deliver on these ambitions. This means simplifying how we work, and modifying engineering processes. Empowering everyone to do more and achieve more in a mobile-first cloud-first world is something MS is qualified to do.

marc^o^ said:
I A console is a bit like a sports team. With the recruit of an MVP player + some good execution, a season can look a lot different than the previous one. I believe Xbox One and Wii U will both get a high profile recruit this holiday, which will change their roster thus their chances. So while I strongly disagree on your approach to predict things, I look forward to seeing how things go for Xbox One in NA and in other regions.

But it's not. Successful consoles historically have a big start, a great second year, and then over time you start to steadily decrease. Consoles don't historically go from completely dead to suddenly a viable and competitive system. And no, PS3 doesn't even count. It's was never even in the same stratosphere of how bad Wii U is doing right now in terms of units sold (although profit wise, PS3 was worse than Wii U is right now, almost certainly). That doesn't mean it won't have tons of great games, that just means that short of Nintendo figuring out a way to squeeze a profit from the thing - and it's possible, they're so frugal - the thing will always be a market failure.

My approach to predicting things is simple - historical context, mixed with the unique context of the current lineup, and then basic readings of month to month trajectories. There's no mystery in it. So far, Wii U has followed a very predictable - albeit atrocious - trajectory. It hasn't been hard to predict for it, except maybe to predict how precisely bad it will do. Short of June's numbers, which are still dogshit just less dogshit than before, the problem has usually been OVER estimating for Wii U, 'cause the thing was doing so bad that it was like few wanted to think it was going to be THAT bad.

Guevara

My hypothesis is:

1. The market is shrinking very quickly
  2. What's left of the home console market is consolidating around one console: the "safe" choice
  3. PS4 did enough right, and early on, to be the obvious choice
Therefore potential Xbox buyers aren't sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right game or right price, they've left the market entirely.

shinnn

Not looking good at all.
UK Sales seem pretty low nowadays. Its almost the same number of titles in the Top 40. Also, more X360 games than PS4. Dont think its much different than the PS3 last generation without new releases.

Even you bought an XB1 over there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think it's wildly overestimated. Just like your comment on 3rd party.
I'm pretty sure games have a pretty defined potential user base. It doesn't really matter which console it's on. So if Xbox gets canned for instance, CoD wouldn't suddenly sell 5M tops.

CoD is already selling less and less each year. I'm not exactly sure why your using that as your argument.

Bgamer90

Banned
All this doom and gloom. Just wait till it launches in japan and then we'll see where the buck shits in the buckwheat.

Haha.

But yeah, not surprised by this news. They shipped a lot of them in previous months and the system isn't doing well in many countries outside of North America.

No, not much on that as I can see from the liveblog. But here's there reconfirmation that they have fundamentally shifted their focus to core games for XBO:
Microsoft falling so far behind is the best thing that could have happened to fans of the Xbox.

demolitio

Makes me wonder how much of this is due to the negative PR blunder that came out before the system was released until MS backtracked. A lot of people said that was overcome and was no longer an issue but I got no doubt it's kept many away.

I do too. They made things right on that issue but ultimately still lost a lot of trust. Once you start down a negative narrative, it's hard to get back, especially when you were more expensive than the other console AND weaker. Now it's the same price but without the only real differentiator in the box.

I want MS to do well so they stay in the market. I plan on getting one next year possibly assuming I have the money. I just think they made a lot of wrong moves that is making them pay the price now while Sony basically just had to stay quiet during it all...lol

To me a console is a bit like a sports team. With the recruit of an MVP player + some good execution, a season can look a lot different than the previous one. I believe Xbox One and Wii U will both get a high profile recruit this holiday, which will change their roster thus their chances. So while I strongly disagree on your approach to predict things, I look forward to seeing how things go for Xbox One in NA and in other regions.

This is a perfect analogy for your cult-like obsessiveness, that's for sure.

Tookay

You really think it's bigger than Smash Bro's? I know a few people who are waiting for Smash Bro's. Then again that's for another topic. I wonder if Nintendo will be able to sustain these number! I hope so, because things were looking bleak.

Mario Kart Wii sales: 35 million
Smash Bros Brawl sales: 12 million

The MK series is in another league.

AniHawk

to me, a console is like a beer. they smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! but you can't stop at one. you wanna drink another console!

Jomjom

Banned
Disappointed, they deserve to do much better with the Xbone. I really like all of the moves they've been making and all the earnest hard work going into improving it constantly.

Sony's been leaving the door wide open for them so, so I think MS has a great opportunity to take the lead in the US at least in the near future.

Raist

Banned
CoD is already selling less and less each year. I'm not exactly sure why your using that as your argument.

If it does so significantly, it's IP fatigue more than anything. I'm talking about 50% sales gone the day one console is missing. Devs would be just fine with one largely predominant console because that's what people would buy.
Conversely, imagine Apple releases a console tomorrow, CoD isn't gonna magically sell 30% more.

Tookay

While that's a cute analogy, it doesn't really have much application in the real-world.

I'm curious on how the Wii U is doing WW in comparison, Xbox One and Wii U are probably pretty close this quarter when considering worldwide sales.

Amir0x

Banned
Let's not turn this into a Wii U sales thread guys, I shouldn't have even responded honestly. This is about Microsoft's shipping numbers, straight up :p

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm curious on how the Wii U is doing WW in comparison, Xbox One and Wii U are probably pretty close this quarter when considering worldwide sales.

Think Wii U is still above Xbox One in worldwide sales by about 1.5 Million or so.

Xbox One should surpass it soon though.

spwolf

So basically their "devices" are performing poorly while everything else is doing pretty great. Even their software licensing is up by 11% and thats by far the biggest part of the company.

Anybody is following the call? http://live.arstechnica.com/microsoft-q4-2014-earnings-call/

I want to know if they will split the shipment.

Haven't seen that

In June, we released our new Xbox One offering and we are pleased wiht the response
by Lee 16:39

Now, a few comments on Xbox
by Lee 16:55

It's important to have a core that's thriving

It's also important to place smart, bold bets on areas you can have impact.

We made the decision to maximize value with a focus on gaming.

This is the largest digital life category, and it's a place where our past successes, brand, and fanbase present us a great opportunity.
by Lee 16:56

We'll invest in our core gaming and Xbox Live areas with a few toward mobile opportunities.

Also know that we're well underway in evolving our culture to deliver on these ambitions

This means simplifying how we work, and modifying engineering processes

Empowering everyone to do more and achieve more in a mobile-first cloud-first world is something MS is qualified to do

Not much

Xbox One is currently in extremely uncomfortable position

On one hand it will be inferior platform for multiplatform games for whole generation on the other hand Microsft first parties are no match for Nintendo so if someone wants second console for exclusives they are more likely to pickup Wii U.

Think Wii U is still above Xbox One in worldwide sales by about 1.5 Million or so.

I meant just this quarter. NA sales for this quarter put the Wii U around 440k, while Xbox One is around 700k WW? I would say if we include European and Japanese sales the Wii U might actually be around that number.

In total I know the Wii U is still quite a ways ahead.

Danlord

Disappointed, they deserve to do much better with the Xbone. I really like all of the moves they've been making and all the earnest hard work going into improving it constantly.

Sony's been leaving the door wide open for them so, so I think MS has a great opportunity to take the lead in the US at least in the near future.

No way do they deserve success with the Xbox One. From the beginning, Microsoft showed utter contempt for the consumer with the DRM, a lesser-performing console and more expensive with an attachment they never marketed it beyond voice recognition to justify the higher price which, you can do the same stuff more or less with the cheap headset/mic you get free with the PS4.
They have been improving but they do not deserve to be better than where they are currently, they need to earn it; PS4 has done from the beginning.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If it does so significantly, it's IP fatigue more than anything. I'm talking about 50% sales gone the day one console is missing. Devs would be just fine with one largely predominant console because that's what people would buy.

But like I said the 160+ million install base plus whatever core was actually on the wii, is what supports these AAA games and as costs of developing them increase (as they always do) the sales must also. If install base actually decrease or what is the best case scenario right now doesn't proportionally grow then the AAA industry will consolidate much further as expected anyway while being weaker and less profitable overall.

I don't see that can be construed as a good thing.

I meant just this quarter. NA sales for this quarter put the Wii U around 440k, while Xbox One is around 700k WW? I would say if we include European and Japanese sales the Wii U might actually be around that number.

Wii U=250k US, 120k Japan, ??? elsewhere this quarter

Hm I'm not sure about 'soon'. Maybe if they have a very good Christmas and Nintendo have a very bad one. I think Wii U will be selling around the same as XBO for the next few months world wide.

Top Bottom