• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

AniHawk

I think we just got the full context for the Kinect-less SKU. We'd seen the trends in the NPD and other data, but the shipment trajectory at the start of the quarter must have been pretty dire. And the new SKU didn't move the needle that much. Pretty rough position to be in.

i think the xbox one was really geared at pleasing shareholders or at least the board of directors who viewed the platform as a perpetual money loser. everything about the initial reveal that favored huge publishers and seemingly punished all but the gamers with the most income was done to maximize profits out of a narrow but lucrative fanbase. somehow they thought what they were doing would have been readily accepted, or at least wouldn't have been met with the backlash it received. i wonder if going back on everything the xbox one was originally going to be, combined with the slow post-launch sales puts the system in a far worse standing than it appears.

i mean frankly, ~6m in about 9 months really isn't bad, but given the context of what microsoft wanted out of this thing, i can't help but feel it's performing far below expectations.

Kuni

swjvt.gif

EhUlwqF.gif

Ahh. Takes me back to when I was just a young gaf lurker.

weeeeezy

Banned
I don't really see this as a bad thing. MS pumped a shit ton of Xboxes into it's channels during holiday season to make sure anyone can just walk in to any retailer to get one. Things are fine, we should have some better shipped/sold numbers this holiday season.

Kuni

It sold units. Imo, it's doing good. I'm not down with this constant grim outlook everyone loves to cast. It will catch stride soon. Which ever the case, the Xbox is doing fine and customers are happy.

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

(I do hope it catches a wind... but the numbers as they stand are baaad)

A_Gorilla

Banned
Why are some people acting surprised by these numbers? I thought it was common knowledge that outside the US the XB1 was dead in the water worldwide. We've seen nothing since January to suggest otherwise...

I see some talk of MS potentially wanting to start the next generation early to get the jump on Sony. Am I the only one who thinks this gen won't end early and will probably last as long as the previous one? I just can't see any of these three companies wanting to rush into dumping billions into R&D all over again so soon.

Hmm considering the architecture inside both the XB1 and PS4, I think that R&D costs for the consoles are probably considerably less and will be less for their next machines comparably since it will most likely just be a upgrade while still utilizing this generations architecture.

I could see MS launching their next console early assuming its physical hardware and not some type of SW platform

Road

Disappointed, but not surprised at the Xbox Family. It was clear what was going to happen the day they decided to change their reporting two quarters ago.

God damn it, MS. Now I will never be able to update this graph. :/

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

If you ever update that chat, put "(shipped)" in all other consoles as well, except for the PS4. ;)

Toki767

I'm guessing by 2020, we'll have a new generation. I think even Microsoft and Sony are willing to admit that last gen went on for way too long.

Is it wrong if I feel like the master chief collection is going to come out and put all the naysayers to bed?
I mean, surely that should drive some sales

it's not a system seller, for me anyway. I find it odd that people are more hyped for a HD collection than the next real entry in the series. are peoples expectations of 343 that low?

s3ltzer

Banned
I don't really see this as a bad thing. MS pumped a shit ton of Xboxes into it's channels during holiday season to make sure anyone can just walk in to any retailer to get one. Things are fine, we should have some better shipped/sold numbers this holiday season.

glass half-full?

Death2494

It looks like Microsoft was stuffing the channel with inventory and the demand just isn't there. The last official sold-to-consumer number we received was 3 million as of December 31st. But then She shipped 900k just before December 31st 2013. In this past 6 months Microsoft has only shipped 1.2mil + (1.1mil minus 360shipped). I don't think Microsoft has sold even 2 million this year worldwide. They're shipment numbers are just too low. XBO < 5 million sold-to-consumer might be confirmed.

Hmm considering the architecture inside both the XB1 and PS4, I think that R&D costs for the consoles are probably considerably less and will be less for their next machines comparably since it will most likely just be a upgrade while still utilizing this generations architecture.

I could see MS launching their next console early assuming its physical hardware and not some type of SW platform

If i was an XBO owning guy and they gave me four years of active support... i'd be mighty pissed.

Amir0x

Banned

Yes, and they stuffed the channel and then sat on shelves. As any businessman can tell you, the longer a product sits on shelves, the more problematic it becomes for a retailer to continue stocking it in the future. The longer a product sits on a shelf, the more value it loses - for both Microsoft and the retailer.

Now, they're still selling decently in the USA, but being unable to have decent shipment numbers says that stock is sitting on shelves, which is the opposite of a good thing. I am sure even Microsoft if they were being candid would tell you this.

Kosma

Banned
It looks like Microsoft was stuffing the channel with inventory and the demand just isn't there. The last official sold-to-consumer number we received was 3 million as of December 31st. But then She shipped 900k just before December 31st 2013. In this past 6 months Microsoft has only shipped 1.2mil + (1.1mil minus 360shipped). I don't think Microsoft has sold even 2 million this year worldwide. They're shipment numbers are just too low. XBO < 5 million sold-to-consumer might be confirmed.

If you add up all us numbers and if thats 60/70% of xbone sales...

Kayant

Is is possible to estimate the split between NA and EU? even though there is just NPD togo by which is sell-through numbers not sold in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still think MS doesn't even care THAT MUCH. I have a feeling they will pull the plug on windows phone, surface, and xbox within the next few years. They're just waiting for the right time for each. Nadella has constantly implied their plans for the future and I don't feel like those things, including xbox (AS WE KNOW IT) is part of it. Key words there being as we know it.

Disagree. WP, surface and Xbox all benefit from the onecore work to bring windows 8/9 to all canvases. So strategically even if MS aren't that interested in the money made by Xbox, they may want to keep it for the overall message it reinforces about their core windows product.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can they afford to do another rushjob with all the risks that come along with it? Especially with that new guy in charge?

Wouldn't need to be much of a rush job. 20nm process node will come along, stacked ram on the GPU, DDr4. All could come together to allow a similar architecture and a nice power jump for reasonable cost, including BC if desired.

Could be similar for Sony too - aiming at a much gentler ios style overlap of consoles, rather than a hard stop?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As I say in the quote, this is just a randomly tossed out prediction without any math done for projections or anything. It's a very, very vague prediction and shouldn't be taken as my final analysis, I want to see how it performs this holiday to get a better picture and make a firm prediction.
Interesting that you say you'll wait for this holiday, to confirm if it can sell the 45 millions more you believe are achievable. Not that it's not reasonable. It is.

But that's some double standards in action: my Wii U prediction it will sell 15 millions more during its lifetime don't get the same "wait for holidays" chance from you. No mockery, nor insult from my side telling you that. It's just some contrast.

Occam

Yeah this is awful for the industry.

No, it isn't. The industry does not need Microsoft in it.
It's actually a good sign, because it means the majority of consumers didn't share Microsoft's vision for a future without private property & privacy, and no amount of marketing could convince them that the weaker, more expensive choice was somehow superior.
Sometimes, the better product wins.

Disagree. WP, surface and Xbox all benefit from the onecore work to bring windows 8/9 to all canvases. So strategically even if MS aren't that interested in the money made by Xbox, they may want to keep it for the overall message it reinforces about their core windows product.
I believe their core products now are office/enterprise suite, azure, etc... I feel like windows isn't even 100% necessary.

Nadella has implied it over and again but I think people are going to see some massive changes with the type of business they become in the next few years.

Raist

Banned

Yep. I think well below 6M shipped and short of 5M sold.

It's a shame Isleofsancroy got banned so fast.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, it isn't. The industry does not need Microsoft in it.
It's actually a good sign, because it means the majority of consumers didn't share Microsoft's vision for a future without private property & privacy, and no amount of marketing could convince them that the weaker, more expensive choice was superior.
Sometimes, the better product wins.
If Xbox dies that's a massive drop install base from the last generation to this. It makes those massive budget games less feasible and it becomes more likely for developers to fail it as it's indicative of massive market contraction.

I don't see how you can remotely construe this a good news.

Interesting that you say you'll wait for this holiday, to confirm if it can sell the 45 millions more you believe are achievable. Not that it's not reasonable. It is.

But that's some double standards in action: my Wii U prediction it will sell 15 millions more during its lifetime don't get the same "wait for holidays" chance from you. No mockery, nor insult from my side telling you that. It's just some contrast.

Wii U has already had a holiday

and I know what you're trying to start here, but it's not happening

I see a lot of posts popping up that Wii-U might have outsold Xbox One for the quarter! That goes with my claim that for the last two months the Wii-U likely beat the Xbox One in sales world wide in the NPD thread. :)

If Xbox dies that's a massive drop install base from the last generation to this. It makes those massive budget games less feasible and it becomes more likely for developers to fail it as it's indicative of massive market contraction.

That's assuming that everyone who purchased Xbox's previously would simply no longer buy a console. That seems unlikely. I do concede some previous gen xbox buyers would drop out but I'm not sure how much of Xbox's previous marketshare would simply be lost

Raw64life

No shit. Literally every piece of electronics ever made sells better during the holiday season. Doesn't stop them from being disappointing.

It sold units. Imo, it's doing good. I'm not down with this constant grim outlook everyone loves to cast. It will catch stride soon. Which ever the case, the Xbox is doing fine and customers are happy.

Wow. This reads like straight up astroturfing.

If Xbox did die (which I'm not predicting), you would likely see some other company take a real shot (sorry, OUYA) at the console market.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

If the Wii u drops massively from and the Xbox 1 drops significantly from X360 and the PS4 isn't picking up the slack then it's a foregone conclusion. The Contraction was always all but confirmed with the loss of the way audience. The question was always just by how much.

Amir0x

Banned

-->

Wii U has already had a holiday

and I know what you're trying to start here, but it's not happening

Bingo. Wii U has had plenty enough time to make a fairly accurate prediction going forward. It's never going to happen for the system, unfortunately. Distant third, would be remarkable if it matched Gamecube. That's the bar it's aiming for, GCN... and it'll be lucky to hit that. But that's a separate topic :p

SwiftDeath said:
This saddens the Gaf consensus

lol

weeeeezy

Banned
Yes, and they stuffed the channel and then sat on shelves. As any businessman can tell you, the longer a product sits on shelves, the more problematic it becomes for a retailer to continue stocking it in the future. The longer a product sits on a shelf, the more value it loses - for both Microsoft and the retailer.

Now, they're still selling decently in the USA, but being unable to have decent shipment numbers says that stock is sitting on shelves, which is the opposite of a good thing. I am sure even Microsoft if they were being candid would tell you this.
Fair point, I wouldn't want my units to sit on shelves as there is a value loss situation.

I see a lot of posts popping up that Wii-U might have outsold Xbox One for the quarter! That goes with my claim that for the last two months the Wii-U likely beat the Xbox One in sales world wide in the NPD thread. :)

I'd be surprised if it didn't. Ninty did just release their biggest game of the year after all. Not to mention the MK8 was fantastic value.

I'd be surprised if it didn't. Ninty did just release their biggest game of the year after all. Not to mention the MK8 was fantastic value.

You really think it's bigger than Smash Bro's? I know a few people who are waiting for Smash Bro's. Then again that's for another topic. I wonder if Nintendo will be able to sustain these number! I hope so, because things were looking bleak.

Do we have any indication in how PS4 is doing.. it's all gone a bit quiet?

As for MS, they are in a really difficult situation right now, I don't think they can just do a global price cut just before releasing in additional countries in September etc.

They also have spent 100's of millions on this TV stuff that they are basically throwing to the wolves, I mean wasn't it like 400m over 5 years for NFL which has had very little effect from what I can see? I think it's going to be a difficult few years, because it's not going to be easy to justify more millions on additional content/games above and beyond what they already had budgeted. I know they got Titanfall etc, but I think that was one of their throw of the dices. I suspect over the next 18 months the Sony studios start to crank out lots of different games, and it will become very apparent that MS cannot keep up.

I don't think MS will make any major decisions until after Xmas now though, they will try and do some bundles and some major black friday deals to shift consoles.

As a 3 console owner last time, other than Dead Rising, I just don't feel inclined to buy one, the exclusives don't really appeal to me and last gen I only really felt a few games spoke to me, such as Alan Wake (which would make me buy a XBO). So i think unless the price is considerably less than the PS4, I just won't feel its worth my while buying one for something that is going to be a 2nd machine.

I do think MS can turn it around, but i think its going to be 2 very hard years for them at least.

If Xbox goes away, and only PS remains, then all the core gamers console gamers will head to whatever PS console there is. Devs can survive just fine if they adapt to that. It's not good news, but it doesn't mean the end of the industry.

I think MS has brought a lot of change, some good, but a lot of it bad. At this point, I just don't see what they have to offer. They're trying to make the X1 as much a PS4 as they can, which screams redundancy. I'll still buy one for cheap for Halo, but yea, I don't think they have too much of a place going forward.

I'd like to see another company come in and shake things up again, like MS did with the early 360.

Top Bottom