• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

DMeisterJ

Banned
The result is nothing short of disastrous. 1.1M consoles between both systems means that it's a pretty unfavorable split between them. And this includes the month with the Kinectless SKU. Wow.

How do I not know this? :(

Sounds like a cool store. So then they sell a ton of electronics?

Lol yeah, they sell a ton of everything. It's a pretty legit store, but it's currently only in Nebraska (obviously), Iowa, Kansas and is now coming to Texas, more specifically Dallas. I live near the one being built in Dallas and it is absolutely massive.

shinnn

Last Quarter 360 shipped 800,000 units. There is usually a drop in shipments between Jan-Mar quarter and the Apr-Jun quarter. Last year that drop was 23%. If MS had a similar drop this year then the 360 shipped 616,000 units. So X1 with those numbers shipped 484,000 units.
Thats a strange math. You are comparing oranges with apples.

Looking at the last quarters, the X360 being dropping sales at average of 57% compared to last fiscal year

Code:
Xbox 360

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ???      5.5      83.7

Q1 2013 vs Q1 2014 = 41% drop

Q2 2013 vs Q2 2014 = 68% drop

Q3 2013 vs Q3 2014 = 62% drop

So if X360 had a similar drop, it would be around 430K. For reference, the X360 had a 53% drop YoY in the last June NPD

QaaQer

They've been playing nice with Steam lately--Fable HD is going to be on Steam. If they're smart, and they've been wising up lately, they'll see that Steam is an important entry point to hit on PC. PC gaming's a sector they really need to keep catering to, because we're always going to be buying desktops. I just hope they don't try to get greedy and funnel crap into the Windows store. I like/tolerate windows 8, I love my Surface Pro, but I do not want to use app stores like that.

Why do they need to play nice? Windows is the only game in town for desktop PC gaming. They do not have to work to get customers at all.

I find it weird that they haven't forced funneling yet, its like free money. I'm really curious to see where they take things with 9.

So what is happening here?

Is it a case of 360 owners moving to PS4? Or is it 360 owners continuing to buy 360 games cause it's not worth upgrading to XB1 yet?

Or maybe it's both

mo60

Well obviously nobody released a press release to that effect, but iirc one of our sales agers a while back did a breakdown of their profits from PS1, PS2 and I think they included PSP as well and showed pretty definitively that they lost most if not all of the profits they made from those platforms due to PS3.

Here's an article back when it showed Sony lost more than ALL the profits from PS2 due to PS3. Back in 2008. So if you continue to count forward the losses after that year, you get a sense of how much they most of lost. Maybe another neoGAF can gather that back data for you though and show with the math how bad it was for you, since I don't have that data anymore. But yeah I'm almost certain it was PS1, PS2 and PSP profits.

I don't think Sony's hitting 100 million, imo. It's projecting out to perform like an 80 million system minus Japan, which will be the wildcard going forward. Those big Japanese games better start hitting soon and hope there's still fire in the water there.

I agree with you. I still think the xb1 will do fine at the end of the gen, but at the rate the ps4 is selling I think it will end up selling as well as the ps1 at the end of the gen everywere else besides Japan. There is no way the ps4 will sell as well as the ps1 in Japan anyway. A 45%+ decline is possible for the PS brand this gen in Japan. I think the ps4 is going to sell 5 million in Japan anyway no matter the software that releases on it. The console will sell better than the ps3 worldwide by 5-10 million most likely.

Kriken

Ok, WiiU is going to give the Xbox One an unexpectedly hard run for Place 2 this gen o_O

Not quite, the Xbone is still ahead of the Wii U in terms of first 3 quarters. The Wii U would need to see some tremendous quarters to stay ahead of the curve

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I wonder if Xbox One's architecture puts it in an ideal position (or not at all) to offer retro compatibility on their next system. If it does, it may help them keep this gen short (4 years) and release a new console before Sony.

ryan299

I'm more interested in how the console market has shrunk. This generation isn't going to get any way near the numbers the last got.

Halo MCC kinect less bundle for $399 is almost inevitable, surely?

I can't see them price cutting yet, they won't want to be seen as too reactive which might cause people to just hold off for another price cut.

Yeah, I expect them to bundle MCC with the console and that will provide a nice bump, but they really need to be more aggressive and much sooner. Halo can't cure all ills the console is facing and while another price cut probably isn't possible just yet, I think they can make it a better proposition with value adds from their launch line up.

Digital DR3, Forza 5 and Ryse + one month of gold for the current RRP would be a pretty good start.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't think so. :S

A new Naughty Dog game like uncharted 4 would be a problem in 2015 holidays

I really think some people are underestimating TLOUR. Of course it's not going to sell like crazy but I think it's going to shift quite a lot of consoles. For me, an extra 50k - 70k WW isn't out of the question.

Anth1888

So what is happening here?

Is it a case of 360 owners moving to PS4? Or is it 360 owners continuing to buy 360 games cause it's not worth upgrading to XB1 yet?

Or maybe it's both

I think both Sony and Microsoft understood how lucrative the previous Wii owners market was and convert these consumers to either a PS4 or an Xbox One.

There was interview with Andrew House about the Wii and Sony have seen them transition over to the PS4.

Raist

Banned
Thats a strange math. You are comparing oranges with apples.

Looking at the last quarters, the X360 being dropping sales at average of 57% compared to last fiscal year

Code:
Xbox 360

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ???      5.5      83.7

Q1 2013 vs Q1 2014 = 41% drop

Q2 2013 vs Q2 2014 = 68% drop

Q3 2013 vs Q3 2014 = 62% drop

So if X360 had a similar drop, it would be around 430K. For reference, the X360 had a 53% drop YoY in the last June NPD

I don't think looking at QoQ fluctuations between different years is any more "apples vs oranges" than YoY.

Guevara

I really think some people are underestimating TLOUR. Of course it's not going to sell like crazy but I think it's going to shift quite a lot of consoles.

The timing of it is excellent, that's for sure. It might not be a system seller, but it is certainly a system justifier.

Can they even go that low though... i'm having a hard time believing they could go down to 349.99, investors not happy and all that...

A while ago their were some promos where you could get like $75 XBL credit when upgrading. Had you told me a year ago that the X1 could be head for as little as $325 within 7 months of launch, I would have laughed... Honestly, I fully expect them to go that low and at this point, I won't settle for less. It's obvious MS will cut the price if we just wait.

Yep, I can't see how it is going to get close to 50 million personally. Like you say, minus the UK, their marketshare in Europe has disintegrated .

I would estimate between 30-40 million before MS kills it with a successor or moves on to some other media box type offering.

Yup, I personally think it'll be something along the lines of:

NA: 20-25 million
UK - 5 million
Europe/Other - 10 million.

so 35-40 million lifetime. Anything more than that I just don't see happening unless they do something super drastic and even then, I don't see it (Short of a $200 price cut or something)

Blue Ranger

Neo Member
I agree with you. I still think the xb1 will do fine at the end of the gen, but at the rate the ps4 is selling I think it will end up selling as well as the ps1 at the end of the gen everywere else besides Japan. There is no way the ps4 will sell as well as the ps1 in Japan anyway. A 45%+ decline is possible for the PS brand this gen in Japan. I think the ps4 is going to sell 5 million in Japan anyway no matter the software that releases on it. The console will sell better than the ps3 worldwide by 5-10 million most likely.

200k monthly in the states? 7k per week in Japan? 100M?

SerTapTap

Why do they need to play nice? Windows is the only game in town for desktop PC gaming. They do not have to work to get customers at all.

I find it weird that they haven't forced funneling yet, its like free money. I'm really curious to see where they take things with 9.

They tried it with Games for Windows Live, which is quietly rotting on the vine. The glory of PC gaming is they can't really force anything beyond putting their products in a special store. And it's apparent that this is toxic enough to sales that it's not worth it to them, since Fable Anniversary's coming to Steam. If it sells well, I suspect others will follow.

mo60

200k monthly in the states? 7k per week in Japan? 100M?

I don't think 100 million is happening without Japan if I'm answering your post correctly. In order to sell 100 million overall I think the ps4 will have to sell significantly more than 5 million in Japan to get to 100 million worldwide.There's a good chance it can break 5 million in Japan, but higher than 7 million will be almost impossible for the ps4 in Japan.The PS4 is selling a bit better than the 360 currently in the US, but it probably won;t get above 40 million in the US at the end of the gen.

All of this because of a stupid camera no one wanted and focusing on tv. I think/hope they will turn it around but nothing like digging a hole for yourself.

Best estimates suggest the Bone is at around 4.6-4.9 sold WW so far. Let's not forget that a huge 2 million of those were sold around launch.

So let's estimate that from between now the end of the year, another 3.5 million are sold WW. So we end up with 8.5 million in a little over a year.

Who knows, from next year, demand could certainly drop or it could pick up with a massive price cut. But the way Sony is hammering them with sales and 3rd party marketing support and games, I can't see them selling significantly over 8.5m ww each year. Call me crazy.

So if 8.5m is the average per year, you're looking at 42.5 million sold WW in 5 years on the market, 4 years from now, when I think this gen could come to an end,

jelly

A price drop can be possible to stomach if they offset it with software sales and especially Xbox Live subscriptions. They will be crunching numbers and decide if it's worth doing before hardware costs reduce. If no slim console is on the cards for 2015 sucking up a price cut for so long won't be very appealing even with the offsets.

God damn it, MS. Now I will never be able to update this graph. :/

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

wow, as a partly color blind person, a graph with like 7 colors that I can actually distinguish

daxter325

Banned
Man, this sucks. I remember earlier this year (dont quote me) a rep from Microsoft saying something about they're gonna start making less consoles to allow retailers to sell through their inventories.

Hopefully Microsoft is able to make it big next gen, because by the looks of it - it's gonna be one loooooong struggle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We're missing the good part. If Xb1 continues to do really badly (and MS are still interested in a Xb2), then they might do an OG Xbox and cut things short to get a 12-24 month headstart on Sony. Nintendo might be tempted too. A staggered generation could be really interesting. Xb2 in 2017 :D

I don't think 100 million is happening without Japan if I'm answering your post correctly. In order to sell 100 million overall I think the ps4 will have to sell significantly more than 5 million in Japan to get to 100 million worldwide.There's a good chance it can break 5 million in Japan, but higher than 7 million will be almost impossible for the ps4 in Japan.The PS4 is selling a bit better than the 360 currently in the US, but it probably won;t get above 40 million in the US at the end of the gen.

No, all it needs is to take the marketshare the Xbox is loosing in NA/Europe/UK, which seems to be exactly what's happening.

Amir0x

Banned

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in Japan next. The game industry there is seriously dying from the inside if you're not like a mobile game of some sort. I'm not sure what is to be done. Hope VR works maybe...

We're missing the good part. If Xb1 continues to do really badly (and MS are still interested in a Xb2), then they might do an OG Xbox and cut things short to get a 12-24 month headstart on Sony. Nintendo might be tempted too. A staggered generation could be really interesting. Xb2 in 2017 :D

I actually think that could happen.

These are basically mini-PCs in a box. 5-year cycle is highly likely.

That's my worry and I really don't want that to happen. I won't buy it if they try pulling that. I'll just wait for the inevitable six month price cut.

Can't wait for panic mode Microsoft. Gonna get me a $299 Xbox One this Christmas
Or a $399 one with games bundled. :D

Be ambitious man, $299 with a game bunlded.

mo60

No, all it needs is to take the marketshare the Xbox is loosing in NA/Europe/UK, which seems to be exactly what's happening.

True, but at the same time the ps4 looks like it''s declining a bit in one of the PS brands key markets. I don't think it's safe anyway to make 100 million+ predictions for the ps4 right now because of what's happening in Japan and no one knows how well the console will sell outside Europe and NA.

Top Bottom