• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

shandy706

ps4sales6fypj0.jpg

Hopefully you'll get chance to update it.

Results don't look as bad looking at that though....of course we won't know if it's front loaded or if things will good/great for many years.

Kuni

Dunno how I feel... when I saw the original reveal and all of the darkness that came with it I secretly hoped for this level of rejection. But they did actually realize and changed ... well everything about it (to be more like PS4).

I'm happy the market rejected the ... really bad stuff of the xbone... but the PS4 does need a competitor so... yeah. Hope MS doesn't give up.

Amir0x

Banned
Are Gears/Halo/Forza/Sunset Overdrive enough? If not, where are the games going to come from?

I mean, that's for the consumers to decide. But Gears is a loooong way away, by the time that is ready to come out (2016?), the battle will have long since been decided even more than it already has. So I think those other games, along with some of the ancillary products and multiplatform products, are more likely to have the impact they require. But they need to have some damn good messaging going forward, damn good advertising and those games need to actually deliver the goods, not be some milquetoast middle-of-the-road affairs. So, they need a lot to go right, but I think they can do it and become a decently performing second place platform.

Xando

I guess it will be really interesting to see what they do at Gamescom, either give up in Europe (except UK) and dont even try or go full out and announce another price cut/Mega bundle (2-3 games) for Europe.

Gryph

Wow. I just really thought they'd be doing better.

I don't have any desire to buy one, but I generally don't consider myself an adequate sample size...

Not surprising at all. The stack of Xbone consoles piled up here in Nebraska Furniture Mart has been there since January. When the Kinectless SKU hit it just made the pile bigger.

It's just not a product the market wants. I want to say compelling software would make a difference but if Titanfall couldn't bring in customers I don't know what could.

What is this store? And more importantly why on earth does it carry video game consoles? 0_0

nfm.jpg

MrMatt555

Not surprising at all.
It's just not a product the market wants. I want to say compelling software would make a difference but if Titanfall couldn't bring in customers I don't know what could.

New ips are always a risk. Despite the pedigree of the devs. It was an exclusive, sure. But we aren't talking a gears or halo sequel here.

jaypah

Not surprising at all. The stack of Xbone consoles piled up here in Nebraska Furniture Mart has been there since January. When the Kinectless SKU hit it just made the pile bigger.

Yeah, it seems like some people just aren't going to take the plunge regardless of the games. I buy everything but we are crazy people. For a lot of people just having a PS4 will be good enough. As the gap widens so will the word of mouth. Shame if the games are good. I never like to see good games suffer.

kabel

You can't play TloU:R on the Xbone :/

I really believe that SONYs exclusives are one of the problems for Microsoft.

There's only three weeks on kinect-less demand in this time frame. That is not nearly enough time to get any real information, especially as we don't know how much was shipped and when, we just have one number for three months.

Well, it's a launch period. The potential is there to sell-through a big burst of consoles in three weeks. Hell, when the Xbox One launched it sold 908K copies in the USA alone in a 2 week time frame. That's an extreme example, but you get the point.

The indications are that Kinect-less Xbox One performance has been subdued.

Examples:

In USA sell-through, PS4 surpassed Xbox One despite Xbox One launching a new $399 Kinect-less SKU.

Xbox One is already getting discounts at retailers.

I do feel that if the Kinect-less launch was a rousing success we'd see a greater shipment result than 1.1 million combined Xbox One + Xbox 360. But you're right, we need to see how the SKU maintains its momentum post-launch.

There's always the possibility of a turnaround.

No surprise the numbers are so low.

They've been oversupplying units worldwide. So expect some crazy deals in the next few weeks and months.

They have to start doing something about Europe. Anything.

Start giving it away. lol. EU will be a huge drag on Xbone unless they do something drastic. Xbox 360 shows the market, while granted not as big as PS3, is there for Xbox in the EU.

See, that's exactly why I don't get all the 50-60 million Lifetime sales predictions for the X1. It's not going to get near that. It's install base is going to crumble in Europe, it's going to heavily contract in the US and probably in the UK. No way it gets near that high up

Kuni

Like everyone knows, there's no chance Microsoft can reach first, so it's a battle for how well they do in second. They still can do OK with a killer slew of games in America, as long as they keep price parity. And they do have a compelling lineup in the future, so I think it'll be a good second place system. Maybe 50 million by the end? I'm just throwing out a random prediction here, haven't really calculated any projections based on current trajectories or anything :p

Now that the price has dropped and Microsoft is going to have its comparatively impressive Holiday season of games, I think they'll do better going forward. Relatively speaking, anyway. Next year I mean.

Yeah when everything started changing and Spencer was put in charge I thought and still think the same. MS can get a respectable second with ~50 mil to Sony's ~100 mil.

The majority of these numbers were pre kinect cut and apps out from gold and stuff so ... next time might be a bit better.

Wow this is worse than I thought. MS grouping XB1 and 360 shipments just highlights how bad it is.

Massive slowdown.

I guess XB1 must have a user base of 4.8-5.1 million while the PS4 probably has one of 8.6-9 million

Kuni

See, that's exactly why I don't get all the 50-60 million Lifetime sales predictions for the X1. It's not going to get near that. It's install base is going to crumble in Europe, it's going to heavily contract in the US and probably in the UK. No way it gets near that high up

Looking at these numbers I can't find fault with your logic. It's crazy... For years I saw the anti-consumer practices of the 360 and just thought I was in the minority and everyone liked lapping it up (same with cable and stuff treating people like rubbish). It's weird to see the market react so ... correct to a product lol.

Hyun Sai

No surprise here.

I called this long time ago, their only chance to win back the US is to make online gaming free on XB1.

But they won't do it, so they will fight with Nintendo for second place this gen.

PS4 was supply constrained last holiday season, plus some months afterward. It's reasonable to say Microsoft was the benefactor, picking up additional sales that would otherwise have gone Sony's way. But with PS4 production in full swing over summer, building up inventory, this won't be an issue next Xmas. I think Sony are going to do extremely well over peek period.

SerTapTap

Ack, I hope not. MS has a tendency to get greedy when they turn their attention to things. I kinda like not having to buy shit through their store.

They've been playing nice with Steam lately--Fable HD is going to be on Steam. If they're smart, and they've been wising up lately, they'll see that Steam is an important entry point to hit on PC. PC gaming's a sector they really need to keep catering to, because we're always going to be buying desktops. I just hope they don't try to get greedy and funnel crap into the Windows store. I like/tolerate windows 8, I love my Surface Pro, but I do not want to use app stores like that.

Yep, I can't see how it is going to get close to 50 million personally. Like you say, minus the UK, their marketshare in Europe has disintegrated .

I would estimate between 30-40 million before MS kills it with a successor or moves on to some other media box type offering.

Amir0x

Banned
It did? Wow! Got a source for that?

Well obviously nobody released a press release to that effect, but iirc one of our sales agers a while back did a breakdown of their profits from PS1, PS2 and I think they included PSP as well and showed pretty definitively that they lost most if not all of the profits they made from those platforms due to PS3.

Here's an article back when it showed Sony lost more than ALL the profits from PS2 due to PS3. Back in 2008. So if you continue to count forward the losses after that year, you get a sense of how much they most of lost. Maybe another neoGAF can gather that back data for you though and show with the math how bad it was for you, since I don't have that data anymore. But yeah I'm almost certain it was PS1, PS2 and PSP profits.

Yeah when everything started changing and Spencer was put in charge I thought and still think the same. MS can get a respectable second with ~50 mil to Sony's ~100 mil.

The majority of these numbers were pre kinect cut and apps out from gold and stuff so ... next time might be a bit better.

I don't think Sony's hitting 100 million, imo. It's projecting out to perform like an 80 million system minus Japan, which will be the wildcard going forward. Those big Japanese games better start hitting soon and hope there's still fire in the water there.

Like everyone knows, there's no chance Microsoft can reach first, so it's a battle for how well they do in second. They still can do OK with a killer slew of games in America, as long as they keep price parity. And they do have a compelling lineup in the future, so I think it'll be a good second place system. Maybe 50 million by the end? I'm just throwing out a random prediction here, haven't really calculated any projections based on current trajectories or anything :p

Now that the price has dropped and Microsoft is going to have its comparatively impressive Holiday season of games, I think they'll do better going forward. Relatively speaking, anyway. Next year I mean.

Do second vs third place even matter here? It's not like the Wii U are going to take a lot of multiplatform sales from the Xbox One even if it surpasses it in sales. I think microsoft just need to focus on becoming an compelling alternative to the ps4 or at least have some great exclusive games that can drive sales. While I don't see the Xbox One winning the sales battle against the ps4, it can still be a profitable console for MS when all is said and done and that should be the most important part.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Digging in is great, but they need to do more.

I think a combination of digging in for the long haul and being more aggressive in terms of price cuts or bundles is the best move to help stimulate demand.

A £350/$400/400Euro X1 bundled with two games and three months of Gold would be a good start.

Halo MCC kinect less bundle for $399 is almost inevitable, surely?

I can't see them price cutting yet, they won't want to be seen as too reactive which might cause people to just hold off for another price cut.

jaypah

A lot of people missing out.

But it's because they don't feel like they are. If they go PS4 they get better multiplats and some cool exclusives. After the DRM 180 I was hyped to get an XO, but after launch. Now it's July and I don't feel like I have to jump in still. And 360 was my main console! MS has to do something to make me feel like I'm missing out. It's MS's problem to figure out what that "something" is.

FDC1

Last Quarter 360 shipped 800,000 units. There is usually a drop in shipments between Jan-Mar quarter and the Apr-Jun quarter. Last year that drop was 23%. If MS had a similar drop this year then the 360 shipped 616,000 units. So X1 with those numbers shipped 484,000 units.

Damn that is really weak. Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked to learn than Sony has shipped more Vita than that.

Note that it's possible they sold more consoles that what they shipped with all the remaining stocks of precendent quarter.

Kriken

1.1 Million Xbox consoles shipped in the last quarter? That doesn't sound good for the Xbone, especially considering they couldn't do a split between the two platforms :/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PlayStation revenue was up 53% YOY in Q4 2013...that was from January - March, though...

:p

...Wouldn't be actually possible to guestimate sales for both 360 and One thanks to that?
...it'd require like a castle of assumptions, though. :p

DieH@rd

Banned
At least we know why are they so strongly pushing X360 downports of their exclusive. With large x360 userbase they can still achieve good results for "xbox family".

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

50 millions seems so much more optimistic than some other predictions you make :) What WW split do you foresee? And over how many years?

vpance

I wonder if MS will do anything drastic for the rest of this gen. Could they actually bite the bullet and try to undercut PS4 at a $100+ lower price? Will they continue to cut employees to slim down costs? Or is the bulk of that done with the recent cuts to Xbox Entertainment?

This is gonna be a looong gen for MS.

Amir0x

Banned
Do second vs third place even matter here? It's not like the Wii U are going to take a lot of multiplatform sales from the Xbox One even if it surpasses it in sales. I think microsoft just need to focus on becoming an compelling alternative to the ps4 or at least have some great exclusive games that can drive sales. While I don't see the Xbox One winning the sales battle against the ps4, it can still be a profitable console for MS when all is said and done and that should be the most important part.

It matters absolutely to Microsoft, as internally there's been fierce debate over their devices lineup anyway. There's a TON of scrutiny going on behind doors about their products like Xbox and how they are performing now. People think because Microsoft has a ton of money that they will just play a war of attrition until the others leave or something, but that simply is not the case. Xbox One is a very important system in terms of how Microsoft determines to use the Xbox brand going forward.

And the reason why it matters how far down in second place they go is because of profits. The more systems you sell, the more software you sell, the more profits you can potentially attain. If Xbox One fails to become meaningfully profitable, there's going to be a ton of internal soul searching at Microsoft at how to proceed forward with the brand. That's the reality of where things are at.

Now I still think we'll have a successor to the XBO, but I do think the implications of its potential poor performance is not a joking matter for Microsoft right now.

marc^o^ said:
50 millions seems so much more optimistic than some other predictions you make :) What WW split do you foresee? And over how many years?

As I say in the quote, this is just a randomly tossed out prediction without any math done for projections or anything. It's a very, very vague prediction and shouldn't be taken as my final analysis, I want to see how it performs this holiday to get a better picture and make a firm prediction.

Top Bottom