• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft screws up Halo 4 DLC release, pretends it was intentional

Spruchy

I never got my specialization code and I know I played the game during that period. Checked my Xbox messages and it's not there either.

Don't suppose anyone has an extra/one not in use?

stktt

Banned
Just seems like overreaction. How bout we wait and see what they do? Or would people rather lose their shit over $10 and not even see what MS comes back with after the press covers this?

I'm not overreacting. Paying $10 only to have the maps be made free a few hours later is frustrating; getting told that this was intentional feels downright insulting.

Sanic

Hm, disappointing that they're seemingly taking this away from those who got it for free.

Generally, when there've been mistakes like this in the past, they let you keep the content. This must have been taken advantage of on an unprecedented scale.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not overreacting. Paying $10 only to have the maps be made free a few hours later is frustrating; getting told that this was intentional feels downright insulting.

Oh I'm with you there, but the press hasn't gotten this yet (aside from Kotaku). I'd bet we see more on this soon.

MYeager

The people who downloaded the maps are not going to have them taken away.

And even if you were right, which you're not, I could have done something like try the maps for two weeks and decided not to buy them.

I have lost money.

I'll bet you $5 I'm right. You seem certain that their statement is wrong, if so then you will recoup some of your loss. If I lose, $5 is a cup of coffee.

I've never even seen trial DLC. I seriously doubt you lose access on the 18th. More like if you don't have it downloaded by then, you're screwed. Also screwed if you ever remove it from your hard drive, since it doesn't seem to register as ownership.

Killer

Banned
If they at least let LE/season pass holders have early access to the map packs maybe people won't that upset. Instead, they got denied access for 9 hours. Great way to treat your loyal fans

Vire

I'll bet you $5 I'm right. You seem certain that their statement is wrong, if so then you will recoup some of your loss. If I lose, $5 is a cup of coffee.

The poor man is already out ten dollars, now you want to take more of it? :lol

sangreal

it's frustrating, sure, but how is it different from any other promotion announced right after you buy something? after the 18th the pack will be $10 again. It's like complaining that MS sold Forza Horizons for $15 for a week

it's frustrating, sure, but how is it different from any other promotion announced right after you buy something? after the 18th the pack will be $10 again. It's like complaining that MS sold Forza Horizons for $15 for a week

The fact that they fucked up and are now saying it was a promotion? That's how.

GloveSlap

I never buy Limited Editions and I never buy Halo map packs anymore because they never get properly added into matchmaking. I am very happy to get the map pack for free, whether the situation is fair or not.

senador

Banned
I am confused as hell right now, where did I say anything about this not being a screw up. I was talking about the LE, not the free map thing.

Look back at your posts. You seem to be defending the LE even though the maps going out free devalues it some. Throw in that everyone who played at launch gets the Specializations, Forward Unto Dawn is just streaming, and the booklet was ok but not very great compared to even the Reach booklet, and the LE becomes very underwhelming and hardly worth the price. I find you defending it insulting personally.

Generally when you buy something on Day 1, you go in expecting to pay a premium. People who bought Forza for $60 are less likely to be upset at a fire sale a month later because they knew what they were getting into. Nobody expects these kinds of things Day 1. It's the sole reason places like Amazon have price protection. People get pissed off when they overpay for something someone else gets at the exact same time for less.

This is more like MS selling Forza at $60 at the beginning of release day, then later the same day saying "kidding, it's only $15!"

Shiggy

People who buy season passes deserve to be treated no better than this. Seems as if they need to learn it the hard way.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This whole game is just a hot mess. Reserving my official judgments on 343 for Halo 5 though; giving them the benefit of the doubt for this one.
Yeah, same here. I really don't like Halo 4, but I'll reserve judgement on 343 till their next game. But Halo 5 will NOT be a day one purchase for me. Gonna wait to see how things pan out next time.

MYeager

The poor man is already out ten dollars, now you want to take more of it? :lol

Only if I'm right. He was comfortable paying $25 for 3 maps packs unseen, and now has an issue that people will get a chance to play one of those map packs for a week. If 343 fucks up again next week I'm wrong and out $5 and he can use that to comfort himself. I don't see what the hand wringing is about though, they made a mistake and giving folks a shot at trying the maps for a week seems like it was an accident, but one that could work in their favor.

senador

Banned
Yeah, same here. I really don't like Halo 4, but I'll reserve judgement on 343 till their next game. But Halo 5 will NOT be a day one purchase for me. Gonna wait to see how things pan out next time.

I also agree. I think this was/is/will be a huge learning experience for 343 and I'll be reserving final judgment for Halo 5.

People who buy season passes deserve to be treated no better than this. Seems as if they need to learn it the hard way.

Yea, I don't have a lot of sympathy for those people. Season passes have never been worth it in the history of ever. You're almost asking to be screwed over.

I feel bad for the people who dropped $10 a couple hours before it went free though, that legitimately sucks.

Havok

It's lose/lose for Microsoft.

This is from their support twitter immediately when the errors occurred and people could get the pack for free:
@SpeedyBlueDude If you can grab it, it's yours. Cuz that's on us. Are you able to get it right now? ^JN

@SpeedyBlueDude That's what I mean. Since it's our glitch, you get the benefit, we're just checking to see if it's still happening so...^JN

Either way, someone is full of shit.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm cool with the fact that many people playing Halo 4 get to download the maps and have it show up more often in matchmaking as a result.

I'm not cool with the fact that most of the digital content in my LE that was supposedly exclusive has been given out to everyone making the majority of my $30 purchase on top of the game's standard $60 price tag meaningless.

TCKaos

This would all be hysterical if it wasn't so bad.

Is this temporary? Was it a bug? Was it reimbursement for specialization code delay? Were we ever intended to get specializations? Why was it possible for people with the specialization code to buy to map pack? Will people who bought the pack/season pass/LE and played within the first 14 days be reimbursed? Why didn't anyone announce this? Where the fuck is the press release? What the fuck is even happening?

Jesus Christ, I mean, it's one thing to make a small mistake. It's another thing to make several small mistakes, and it's another thing completely for the entire marketing campaign of your flagship franchise be a abominable parade of terrible mistakes.

Where the fuck was this announced? Why isn't there an official announcement? Why the fuck hasn't anyone shouted "HAHA, SURPRISE!" ?

WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS MY LIFE?

Kibbles

Oh Microsoft.

At least it's free

Also, lol at 'season pass' buyers

Worse yet, I'm a Limited Edition and Season Pass buyer (bought the LE, got the regular version early, so I was going to sell my LE, ended up not and I gave it to my brother, then bought myself the map pack season pass) :(

I genuinely feel ripped off with the LE.. the physical content sucks and the digital content has been devalued to hell and back. I got it for the map pack pass, its fucking BS, I could have saved money by not buying the fucking thing. Not cool at all.

Worse yet, I'm a Limited Edition and Season Pass buyer (bought the LE, got the regular version early, so I was going to sell my LE, ended up not and I gave it to my brother, then bought myself the map pack season pass) :(

If it makes you feel any better, I own the cat helmet.

So, really, they owe me this free dlc.

MYeager

Is this temporary? Was it a bug? Was it reimbursement for specialization code delay? Were we ever intended to get specializations? Why was it possible for people with the specialization code to buy to map pack? Will people who bought the pack/season pass/LE and played within the first 14 days be reimbursed? Why didn't anyone announce this? Where the fuck is the press release? What the fuck is even happening?

It's access to the maps only till the 18th, according to them, but who knows. We'll see next week. Is it a bug? Unknown, it is most likely the result of them trying to fix the fact that it wasn't showing up as free for LE/Map Pass people yesterday and this was considered the best solution so that those people could download the Crimson Map Pack. The people who played during the first couple of weeks were intended to get specializations, that was known. No, LE was granted early access to all specializations, though if I were them I'd be angry that the XP cap kept those people from gaining those specializations until recently.

Ramblin

Banned
Well ain't I lucky, I traded a few games for Halo 4 a week or so after it came out, then I saw that nonsense about playing it in the first couple of weeks and thought what the heck. They messaged me twice, once with the code to download the extra stuff, and a second time to remind me about it. Then I read about the goof up about the map pack, but don't bother with it for whatever reason...and today I'm poking around. Shit why am I nattering about this on a message board?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I never got my specialization code and I know I played the game during that period. Checked my Xbox messages and it's not there either.

Don't suppose anyone has an extra/one not in use?

I think this happened to other people too. There was a large official thread in the waypoint forums that you could report if you didn't receive a specialization code. Itd down now though as they claim to have sent them all out.

Jesus Christ, I mean, it's one thing to make a small mistake. It's another thing to make several small mistakes, and it's another thing completely for the entire marketing campaign of your flagship franchise be a abominable parade of terrible mistakes.

Where the fuck was this announced? Why isn't there an official announcement? Why the fuck hasn't anyone shouted "HAHA, SURPRISE!" ?

WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS MY LIFE?

Glitch Grumps.

Reading again, it seems the maps aren't actually free.

its only free access for a limited time.

hmmm...hope they don't fuck up and cut us all off.

They wouldn't and couldn't possibly compound this whatever-it-is by "turning off" something that you downloaded, free or otherwise. I believe and hope that what they mean to say is, if you received a specialization unlock code, you've got until the 18th to download the maps for free.

Now, I'm not sure why they just can't speak plainly on the issue. Their words are, "we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time, through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT."

WTF they actually mean by, "complimentary access for a limited time" is anybody's guess.

And by the way, to the people who purchase the LEs or the Season Passes, you, my friends, are part of the problem. A BIG part of the problem. Be part of the -solution- and stop falling for that crap. Keep your money in your pocket and demand some respect. As long as you keep buying them, there will be LEs and Season Passes and tons of junk.

Yes, if you bought the LE or got burned on the maps, then you've got every right to be pissed and jump up and down and complain or whatever, but do not fall for it again.

Omni

Was that the only thing in it? I thought most people bought collector's editions for the physical items.

We got a 7 page booklet (which is like a cheap version of Halo 3's game manual...) and some random bits of paper with game scores from people we've never heard of.

Plus an avatar item and AR skin.

We got a 7 page booklet (which is like a cheap version of Halo 3's game manual...) and some random bits of paper with game scores from people we've never heard of.

Hey, we've heard of Tashi! In fact, this is probably all his fault somehow. Blame Tashi.

_woLf

Don't forget the armor loadouts that everyone else got anyway

jediyoshi

There were some initial complications with the distribution of the "14 day, Buy and Play" reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a "thank you" to our customers that contributed to the success of the "Halo 4" launch.

Am I missing something here

Top Bottom