• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Sebastard

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
My favorite part of the console cycle is finally here. The bullshit PR, the fake as hell CG videos, and the people who believe them. I cant get enough of it.

The countdown now begins for someone at Sony to say that they have heard the complaints of developers and promise this time to make a console that is easier to develop for. Then deliver the most complicated hardware architecture ever created.
So true!

jsnepo said:
I hope devs consider frame rate to be more important next-gen than textures, etc. How awesome it is to play a game with the graphical fidelity of God of War but is running at a constant 60 frames per second.
God of War is such a special case because they completely control the experience in that game since theres a fixed camera.

Anyway, next gen is gonna be a lot easier for devs to get to 60 FPS because GPUs currently in PCs can easily handle 1080p at 60FPS. And whatever is going to be in the next Xbox is going to be at least 2-3x more powerful than what we have today. I wouldn't be surprised if MS and Sony target that GDC next-gen Unreal Engine demo as what they want their hardware power to be at, if not even more than that.

I don't know if MS *just* posted these positions after GDC, but after seeing Battlefield 3 (where the PC is moving on to the next-gen of graphics already) and that Epic demo, they must figure they have to get their act into high gear.

operon

ones things for sure, everyone will be paying to play multiplayer.

Backwards compatibilty is a must, you need to be able to bring as mcuh from this generation to the next, whoever does this successfully I think will manage to keep the customers they picked up this gen

operon said:
ones things for sure, everyone will be paying to play multiplayer.

Backwards compatibilty is a must, you need to be able to bring as mcuh from this generation to the next, whoever does this successfully I think will manage to keep the customers they picked up this gen

MS either needs to add universal binary support to their SDKs or they'll need to include the PPC chip in the next Xbox. Having that continuity on XBLA is really important.

operon

infinityBCRT said:
MS either needs to add universal binary support to their SDKs or they'll need to include the PPC chip in the next Xbox. Having that continuity on XBLA is really important.

Real important. Its a bit like wow is to mmorpg. back when I played it friends would try the latest one that came out like conan and lotr but would always come back to wow because that where most of their friends were.
My brothers and friends play on xbox live most nights, and assuming MS don;t change the experience too much I doubt any of us will change. A few of us have ps3 but will play the multiplayer stuff on the Xbox because thats where the majority of your friends are. I think alone will be very important next gen, as this gen has being the most online multiplayer orientated to date

infinityBCRT said:
God of War is such a special case because they completely control the experience in that game since theres a fixed camera.

Anyway, next gen is gonna be a lot easier for devs to get to 60 FPS because GPUs currently in PCs can easily handle 1080p at 60FPS. And whatever is going to be in the next Xbox is going to be at least 2-3x more powerful than what we have today. I wouldn't be surprised if MS and Sony target that GDC next-gen Unreal Engine demo as what they want their hardware power to be at, if not even more than that.

I don't know if MS *just* posted these positions after GDC, but after seeing Battlefield 3 (where the PC is moving on to the next-gen of graphics already) and that Epic demo, they must figure they have to get their act into high gear.

The PS2 can theoretically output 1080p 60fps no problems (GoW2 had a HD mode iirc). The issue is always, and will always be, that the same grunt they can devote to rendering at full resolution and at a high framerate can be devoted to other things that make the game look better.

The 360 and PS3 can do it no worries, but devs want better textures and more effects. Much like the start of this generation, we will see improved image quality at the start of the generation for the first wave of titles, before they start making sacrifices to push the machine harder and harder to out-compete their contemporaries in visual terms.

People make claims like "oh the reason everyone loves cod4 is because of the framerate, even if they don't know it", but that's rubbish. Pure speculation supported by their own anecdotes. Unfortunately the plural of anecdote is not data, and devs will always put framerate / resolution on the backburner if it means they're outputting a better looking game in other areas. There is no magical "this much is enough horsepower" threshold where this will stop being true.

eso76

DR2K said:
Because not everyone has a money tree growing in their backyard.

Then wait until the price is right for you, like Stephen said. Old consoles should be supported until then and beyond, and if you're not interested in having the pinnacle of technology in your hardware then you won't mind waiting. But really, it's a sum of money you spend once in 5/8 year, with a chance next gen will last even longer than the current one it's a much smaller factor than the price of games (which, btw, i expect will get more expensive). Aiming for a 299$ price point means your console will look outdated after 2 years (or, actually, at launch :p) which doesn't really go along well with the 10 years generations politics.

SLI enabled console please.

Not from the off but open up the potential after the console has been out for 4 years and the price has significantly dropped.

Pretty 30fps games and the 3D ones will then run at 60fps and the 60fps games will look even better.

DonMigs85

Backfoggen said:
Put a shit ton of RAM in there. The only reason why games like Stalker or something aren't possible on consoles is cause of the ram.

Startup tune
I noticed that nowadays devs don't seem to focus on streaming tech as much, like what was done for the likes of Metroid Prime and SSX 3.
Still, at least 3-4GB of total RAM in the next gen systems would be great. Hopefully DX12 GPUs as well. It's a shame the PS3's RSX was already dated by the time the console came out, unlike the XGPU in the original Xbox.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's a bad idea, I don't want to keep my console on top of my TV.
i do not own a kinect yet but i think it has a motorized sensor or something like that could follow you wherever you go.

Solid warrior said:
i do not own a kinect yet but i think it has a motorized sensor or something like that could follow you wherever you go.
Yeah it follows you everywhere, to the bedroom, the bathroom, the shops, the pub. Gets annoying.

eso76

maniac-kun said:
i hope they dont waste the new cpu / gpu power with gimmicks like 3d...

Nah, by 2013 3d will be dead again already :p
Actually, might not be if they can find a decent glasses free solution and to be honest if there's any application where 3d would please me and make a difference that's videogames.
Either way it will be optional which could mean 'more 60fps games' when 3d is disabled.

TheOddOne

infinityBCRT said:
These jobs have been open since 2010.

I hope the guys behind the new 360 slim are behind it, they made all the right decisions.

infinityBCRT said:

The PC moved on to next-gen graphics (relative to consoles) when Crysis was released back in 2007. I don't think MS, Sony or Nintendo are worried about PC progress at all.

Id rather they cheap out on CPU and just upgrade the graphics card to something modern and put all the money into ram. 4gb of ram should be the minimum. And that's not counting VRAM.

[Nintex]

I'm still calling 2012. They can't count on TSMC, this year they're moving to 28nm the move to 20nm happens Q3 2012 and they'll have it all up and running Q1 2013 at the earliest and looking at TSMC's history even that is considered to be up in the air. The same goes for Nvidia. MS would be fucked if they bet on a new chip in production and it would be delayed by +6 months or so. So I'm guessing that they'll go for the $399 price range again and try to work with AMD/IBM to create a high-end console to launch at the end of 2012.

Azriell

It might just be a pipe dream, but I really hope they put saved films feature in at a system level. Ever since Halo 3, I've been dreaming of such a thing built into the guide, so it could be executed at anytime within any game, and then shared with friends. It would only be viewable if the other party had the game running, of course, or perhaps also allow a live video stream, from the player who saved the film (if they're currently playing said game) to someone else who's viewing in a theater mode built into the dash (perhaps even a screen sharing feature).

I'm not sure if this would be possible, given the way Halo (and CoD BO?) does it is (the whole saving the game data thing, instead of actually recording video), but it would be really cool if they could pull it off, and would probably also make for one hell of a word-of-mouth marketing tool. Perhaps even more beneficial to games marketing than demos, given the argument that demos do more harm than good for a lot of games.

Not that I have much interest in marketing. I just think that MS (or Sony or Nintendo) might see it as a cool feature that also brings some value to the table.

Doffen

TheOddOne said:
These jobs have been open since 2010.

I hope the guys behind the new 360 slim are behind it, they made all the right decisions.

These positions got posted "March 4, 2011" according to LinkedIn.

Dipswitch

[Nintex] said:
I'm still calling 2012. They can't count on TSMC, this year they're moving to 28nm the move to 20nm happens Q3 2012 and they'll have it all up and running Q1 2013 at the earliest and looking at TSMC's history even that is considered to be up in the air. The same goes for Nvidia. MS would be fucked if they bet on a new chip in production and it would be delayed by +6 months or so. So I'm guessing that they'll go for the $399 price range again and try to work with AMD/IBM to create a high-end console to launch at the end of 2012.

I'm with you. I think it's highly bloody unlikely that they're just now hiring engineers for the next Xbox design. I think the overall design has to have been in the bag for at least a year, given the lead time required for component design, securing component supplies and manufacturing capacity. For all we know, these new hires are the folks who are going to design the next next gen of consoles and/or handheld units.

I'm guessing Wii 2 fall 2011 or 2012. New Xbox Fall 2012. New PS Fall 2013.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the costs of next generation wont be as much as some Developers spend on for their AAA title budgets now, since of it still being the same philosophy for HD gaming, with it just being better framerate and taking advantage of the graphics further.

camineet

Banned
Dipswitch said:
I'm with you. I think it's highly bloody unlikely that they're just now hiring engineers for the next Xbox design. I think the overall design has to have been in the bag for at least a year, given the lead time required for component design, securing component supplies and manufacturing capacity. For all we know, these new hires are the folks who are going to design the next next gen of consoles and/or handheld units.

I'm guessing Wii 2 fall 2011 or 2012. New Xbox Fall 2012. New PS Fall 2013.

Umm Wii 2 isn't coming this year, no way is it happening fall 2011. Wii's successor will probably arrive fall 2012. Then we will probably see both next Xbox and PS4 launch in fall 2013.

camineet

Banned
I'm hoping Microsoft future proofs the CPU by going from multi-core (current tech) to manycore (next-gen tech) meaning they use at least a dozen or more cores in the CPU.

Gravijah

camineet said:
I'm hoping Microsoft future proofs the CPU by going from multi-core (current tech) to manycore (next-gen tech) meaning they use at least a dozen or more cores in the CPU.

Let's call it megacore instead. It sounds cooler.

Majanew

Banned
Not too many things are as awesome as new consoles on the horizon!

Next Xbox release date: 11 - 12 - 13 (Nov 12, 2013)

Atomski

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's a bad idea, I don't want to keep my console on top of my TV.
Yeah I keep seeing people post about Kinect built in but surely it would not be in the console right..... Camera still needs to be its own device so we can position it somewhere else.

Doffen

[Nintex] said:
I disagree. Microsoft needs 2012 to release their last AAA titles they have in their sleeves for this gen.
The rest will get a deal to wait for NextBox. That’s my take, and they’ll also need 2012 to make more money out of Kinect.

Microsoft will also be full of Windows 8 in late 2012. They don’t want to release two major products at the same time.
And there are rumors about Windows Phone 8 in 2012 also.

FoxSpirit

Unreal tech demo @full effects, 1080p, 60fps. And possible in the first gen releases. That's enough.
Should be very doable if they roadmap it to 22nm processes.

Also, any less power would be somewhat of a letdown, no "0-AA, sub-720p" stuff next gen, okay???

Really, the next gen jump should be readily visible with even less but that would be my dream for next gen. We will carry it around for a long time again, if my hunch is right, so better make something gooooood.

StevieP

Banned
So many of you people are dreaming. So many.

While the next wave of consoles (all 3) will certainly be many times more powerful than the current crop (hell, my 3 year old low power HTPC kicks the crap out of them) you people are nuts if you think you'll have super-designs with multiple video chips and 12 core CPUs. Most devs have a hard enough time getting correct use of 2 or 3, let alone 8 or 12.

And unless you want a vacuum cleaner size (and sounding) console, all of the manufacturers will start looking at TDP a lot more seriously next gen, and will likely be using a lot more "off-the-shelf" stuff and customizing it's packaging slightly. A late 2013 release of Maxwell, for instance, means that it will NOT be in consoles that release in late 2013. The age of "beasts" is over.

Dabanton

Atomski said:
Yeah I keep seeing people post about Kinect built in but surely it would not be in the console right..... Camera still needs to be its own device so we can position it somewhere else.

Yeah i'd rather have it separate. My Kinect is on top of the TV.

Gorgon

StevieP said:
So many of you people are dreaming. So many.

While the next wave of consoles (all 3) will certainly be many times more powerful than the current crop (hell, my 3 year old low power HTPC kicks the crap out of them) you people are nuts if you think you'll have super-designs with multiple video chips and 12 core CPUs. Most devs have a hard enough time getting correct use of 2 or 3, let alone 8 or 12.

And unless you want a vacuum cleaner size (and sounding) console, all of the manufacturers will start looking at TDP a lot more seriously next gen, and will likely be using a lot more "off-the-shelf" stuff and customizing it's packaging slightly. A late 2013 release of Maxwell, for instance, means that it will NOT be in consoles that release in late 2013. The age of "beasts" is over.

Well, the 360's GPU was a unified shaders arquitecture that released earlier than the customer discreet GPUs. They used a design that wasn't available yet to PC. We really don't know what the GPU will be or what tech will be in there. If Mazwell releases in late 2013 for the consumer market its tech can easily be in the next console in late 2013 too.

Lol @ people who mention 60fps. Ohh to be young and innocent.

60fps is largely up tp the designers, not a fixed feature. Its a matter of trading fps for more eye candy. Mothing stops a late 2013 console from delivering 1080p native (which is a given) at 60fps. The thing is that it will totaly depend on the game. I can see plenty of games running at both 30 and 60fps, with the choice beying entirely up to the developer. RAGE, for example, will run at 60fps according to id (it's a racing game and I exepect those to go as much for 60fps as possible), but the next DOOM as been confirmed as a 30fps title PRECISELY because id wants to trade the fps rate for graphics pimping.

FPS will never be standard because it's a trade off between performnace and eye-candy and will depend entirely on the specific game and developer. The same could be said about how much AA and AF a game will get. 1080p native, on the other hand, will be standard and probably even mandatory.

1 thing we can count on, suppliers (intel/IBM/nvidia) breaking news at least a year before Sony or MS do. While it may be an ultra vague detail here or there to incestors it will be the first sign that things about to go down

verbum

Solid state drive.
2 GB RAM and 1 GB video RAM.
Wireless N built in.
USB-3 ports with the ability to add external HD.
NTFS format of drive.
At least an advanced Nvidia or AMD video chipset. Maybe Bulldozer with integrated graphics?

I'm dreaming and creaming.

ZiggyRoXx said:
About fucking time......

Not the new Xbox, but the fact its taken nearly 3mths for my account to be activated by NeoGaf Mods.

What the fuck is that all about...?

Just saying like....

Oh, ok , good news about the new Xbox.

Three months, you're complaining about three months!

Dude, I had to wait seven months.

Gorgon said:
FPS will never be standard because it's a trade off between performnace and eye-candy and will depend entirely on the specific game and developer. The same could be said about how much AA and AF a game will get. 1080p native, on the other hand, will be standard and probably even mandatory.
And at it's turn, decisions developers make entirely depend on what the market wants or thinks is important which is why we won't see an increase of 60fps games. It's the same discussion every generation.
And I expect most 'next-gen games' to be somewhere between native 720p and 1080p, upscaled to 1080p.

Gorgon

M°°nblade said:
And at it's turn, decisions developers make entirely depend on what the market wants or thinks is important which is why we won't see an increase of 60fps games.
And I expect most 'next-gen games' to be somewhere between native 720p and 1080p, upscaled to 1080p.

I honestly doubt you'll see 720p games in the next batch of consoles from MS and Sony. 30fps yes, you'll see plenty of those. Native 1080p however will be standard. There are no tech excuses not to even in a 299USD console in 2013.

verbum said:
Solid state drive.
2 GB RAM and 1 GB video RAM.
Wireless N built in.
USB-3 ports with the ability to add external HD.
NTFS format of drive.
At least an advanced Nvidia or AMD video chipset. Maybe Bulldozer with integrated graphics?

I'm dreaming and creaming.

Won't happen.

1) HDD will be mechanic, the trade off is simply not cost effective.

2) RAM will most probably be unified and I don't see it going above 2GB, even though I'd love to see 3-4GB. I also woudn't be surprised to see Sony droping XDR and going to GDDR instead for cost reasons. In fact, I think it's the smartest choice.

3) external HDD would be great but I doubt it for security reasons. Also, this is MS, and the most you can expect is some retarded ultra-rip off proprietary external HDD at the very best.

Gorgon said:
60fps is largely up tp the designers, not a fixed feature. Its a matter of trading fps for more eye candy. Mothing stops a late 2013 console from delivering 1080p native (which is a given) at 60fps. The thing is that it will totaly depend on the game. I can see plenty of games running at both 30 and 60fps, with the choice beying entirely up to the developer. RAGE, for example, will run at 60fps according to id (it's a racing game and I exepect those to go as much for 60fps as possible), but the next DOOM as been confirmed as a 30fps title PRECISELY because id wants to trade the fps rate for graphics pimping.

1080p will not be mandatory, or even a given. We will see plenty of games running at less than that.

Curufinwe

If the consoles are released in 2013, 1080p will be standard.

I also think $400 will be the launch price since adjusted for inflation that will be significantly less than the $400 price the 360 launched at in 2005. $400 is not too much, and starting at $300 would gimp the systems.

Gorgon

AndyMoogle said:
1080p will not be mandatory, or even a given. We will see plenty of games running at less than that.

From MS and Sony? Wait and see. Unless MS plans to pull a Wii, that is. That would be ostracizing the core though, and it would be a shoot in teh foot from MS because they won't get Nintendo's market anyway.

Curufinwe said:
If the consoles are released in 2013, 1080p will be standard.

You can bet your ass it will. And I woudn't be surprised if at least Sony made it mandatory.

FLEABttn

Banned
Gorgon said:
1) HDD will be mechanic, the trade off is simply not cost effective.

Mechanic hard drives are expensive and offer little to no chance in future savings. It's a cost Sony will never be able to reduce because smaller hard drives simply get phased out instead of cheaper, which is why they keep increasing the size in the thing. They also generate additional heat and the location of the drive in the PS3 likely does not do the PS3 any favors.

I don't expect a full blown SSD in the next gen, but probably 16 gigs of on-board flash in the place of a mechanical hard drive, with a larger optional hard drive you can stick in/on the thing.

Gorgon

FLEABttn said:
Mechanic hard drives are expensive and offer little to no chance in future savings. It's a cost Sony will never be able to reduce because smaller hard drives simply get phased out instead of cheaper, which is why they keep increasing the size in the thing. They also generate additional heat and the location of the drive in the PS3 likely does not do the PS3 any favors.

I don't expect a full blown SSD in the next gen, but probably 16 gigs of on-board flash in the place of a mechanical hard drive, with a larger optional hard drive you can stick in/on the thing.

Perhaps, but SSD is still not cost effective, which is my point. HDD will still be the main storage. Also I expect optional full HDD installs to be standard at least in MS's machine like this gen, and 16 gigs of flash ain't gonna cut it. So we will certainly see the return of mechanical HDD next gen. Cost effectiveness demands it.

hiryu

The worst part of next gen is that I'm probably going to get charged for some shitty motion controller because it will probably be included in the box and most games will probably have to support said shitty motion controller is some totally useless way.

Doffen

One thing Microsoft needs to change before releasing the NextBox is the Live ID service. At this moment it is not possible to have sub-profiles for your children or family.

Top Bottom