• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

Reallink

If I were Nintendo, I'd be scrambling to push out a $300 loss leader in Q1/Q2 '12 cause it seems likely they'd enjoy almost 2 years (uncontested) to gobble up the entire enthusiast crowd with superior "current gen" third party ports as well as first party showpieces and a handful of Wii2/PC exclusives.

DirectX

Neo Member
I am always wanting the next thing. I buy almost every gadget I can and buy it the day it releases but for some reason I am not as anxious for new systems yet. I think because we have a lot invested in these current ones and I have 3 xbox 360's and 2 ps3's and just refreshed them with slim versions(just sold my wii). Also we have lots of games still coming that should be great and I think there is more they can get out of these current systems. I am actually ok for once waiting a bit longer for new systems.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-No more Kinect, make it for hardcore only like 360 when it was kid.
-New priority format for discs(as anti piracy method), something have the same size as blu-ray but better security.
-DTS/DD7.1 support
-As powerful as Radeon 6870/6970
-1TB HDD for all sku
-$300 for Fall 2012 ( with Halo 4+Modren Warfare 4 as exclusive launch titles)

Jonm1010

Banned
Reallink said:
If I were Nintendo, I'd be scrambling to push out a $300 loss leader in Q1/Q2 '12 cause it seems likely they'd enjoy almost 2 years (uncontested) to gobble up the entire enthusiast crowd with superior "current gen" third party ports as well as first party showpieces and a handful of Wii2/PC exclusives.

Heck if I knew that Nintendo wold actually get noticeably updated graphics and frame-rate ports and some interesting exclusives that pushed the hardware to close to Crysis levels, I'd buy that as a stop gap until I decide on one of the two Microsoft or Sony next gen consoles.

Assuming a 299 price tab.

Totobeni said:
-New priority format for discs(as anti piracy method), something have the same size as blu-ray but better security.
-DTS/DD7.1 support
-1TB HDD for all sku

You're joking right?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Would be so cool to see some truly new kind of architecture...all badass. Like its core was made of stardust and shit like that.

[Nintex]

miladesn said:
Just more fuel to the 2012 fire. If the Xbox 720 wasn't on the horizon for 2012/2013 they wouldn't have started working on 'next-gen' games yet. Sure you keep up with the tech developments but they're targetting MS's next-gen hardware. With the way technology is advancing these days you don't pin down on tech that is available 3 years down the line.

Jonm1010 said:
Heck if I knew that Nintendo wold actually get noticeably updated graphics and frame-rate ports and some interesting exclusives that pushed the hardware to close to Crysis levels, I'd buy that as a stop gap until I decide on one of the two Microsoft or Sony next gen consoles.

Assuming a 299 price tab.
Mark Rein said that if Nintendo would release a console capable of UE3 they'd be on it like bees on honey. I think that's all Nintendo needs a console that can handle modern engines and tools. Nintendo needs third party support from western publishers if they want to continue their dominance and that's the only way they're going to get it.

Also that's the second developer with a next-gen game in pre-production. First Epic, now Avalanche, who's next?

itsgreen

Totobeni said:
-DTS/DD7.1 support
-1TB HDD for all sku

- No, Kinect will be forever a crucial part in the Xbox world. Kinect 2 for 720 is pretty much guaranteed imo.
- No, proprietary stuff is expensive to develop. Will be Blu-ray with better security on the motherboard/software side. Just like 360 now uses DVD.
- Yes
- Yes, by the time it releases it will be even more powerful. Remember that the similar PC graphics card with 360-like chip was more expensive than the console. And also remember that MS only buys the design, and manufactures the chips 'themselves'. It will be the best single core graphics card of the previous generation with features of the then current generation card. With 80% of all possible shader units working (to improve yields).
- Yes, had this no, but edited before posting. By the time it releases 1tb will be the defacto standard in 2.5" drives (2013).
- No, No, No, No. In order: will be more expensive than 399 (I'm still guessing 499, guess whats reasonable and add some). People who want it will buy it. Fall 2012 is too soon. 360 has way to much life in it. By then the 360 will just have been dropped to 199. Halo 4 will come sometime into the life span, just like Halo 3 did. No need to sacrifice quality of the game (especially early on in a consoles life a lot of gains in for instance picture quality can be made) to pursuade people who will buy the console anyway. Modern Combat 4 will be multiplatform. The money hat to buy that exclusiveness can be used to cover the budget of Halo 5 and Halo 6.

FoxSpirit

Reallink said:

Hahahaha... where have you been the past years? Nintendo selling at a loss? Have you not gathered their basic company principles? The many interviews?

Nintendo will never sell a console at a loss. Imagine a console at the sucess of the Wii but costing the company money. Like they said, they aren't Sony or Microsoft, if they make a loss, there is nothing to compensate for that.
Heck, they even admitted to price-hike after all the 3DS praise. If there is a company out there going for the raw profit, it's Nintendo.

Oh yeah, and I'd rather wait to fall 2013 for a good increase in power compared to fall 2012, I want that UE3 demo. Basta.
And it IS possible to future proof yourself this far down the road, with the way the HD pipeline works you can ramp up quality in huge bounds while consuming equal amounts of power.
If I would guess, the current pipeline could produce content for 2020 simply by not downgrading assets and using the whole array of lighting and shadows. Plus Tesselation, you can by current standards throw gobs of GPU power at tesselation. And physics. And AI. Gratious amount of Filtering and general IQ improvements.

It's hard to see how to not spend any and all power that's down the next decade at least.

StevieP

Banned
soco said:
let's be honest, have you ever not felt ripped off by the actual hardware in a console?

Remember, they promised us the world with CG videos and "target renders" on what were mid-range parts at best. People fall for this every generation and that won't change with the next one.

camineet

Banned
Microsoft's and Sony's next consoles will both use some kind of phyisical media. I was hoping for something that's solid-state but it would cost too much to rival Blu-ray's tens of GB. So in that case I predict simple Blu-ray 200 GB for both next-gen consoles, perhaps even Nintendo. I just cannot see going DD-only next-gen. It's way too soon for the U.S. market where there is spotty-at-best internet service and bandwidth caps. Perhaps DD-only for the next-next gen in 2020 with Xbox4, PS5 and Wii 2's successor, but the coming gen with be a mix of physical media and DD, much like the current-gen even if it leans more toward DD

camineet

Banned
jagowar said:
I don't see it being drastically more powerful either but I think it will be more of an upgrade than you think....

• 4 gb shared ram (the shared ram thing turned out to be one of the biggest advantages for the 360). Memory is cheap now so I can see them adding a ton of it for the next system.
  • I think you will see cheaper 3.5 hard drives built in with the next system. 120 gb on the low end and 1.0 tb on the high end.
  • No disc drive at all in the next xbox (this allows them to include larger 3.5 inch internal drives). I see games coming on 16 gig flash drives (similar to how the ngp will work)
  • Graphics and CPU on the same chip (top of the line at the time it gets released)
  • Same kinect design but is capable of tracking at 720p (and the video camera supports 720p video chat)... will also be bundled in with all systems.

I believe CPU and GPU will be serperate next-gen, unless Microsoft decides on having more than one AMD APU. Perhaps they'll go with unified CPU/GPU chips. AMD has said that Fusion's next generation will happen in 2015 but perhaps we'll see it sooner in Xbox3, just like we saw unified shaders first in 360.

AiTM

Banned
I'm really worried about MS going DVD again. God I hope not, but I just have a bad feeling about it. Which would ripple through all of the gaming market, including PC, for the whole next gen in terms of what we would be getting.

There's gonna be a lot of letdown people in regards to specs for next gen consoles, I think.

Take what you want, cut it in half, and you might be close. Maybe.

Doffen

Foliorum Viridum said:
There's gonna be a lot of letdown people in regards to specs for next gen consoles, I think.

Perhaps it’s you who will be surprised sir.

AiTM

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:

This is going to bite them in the ass. People don't get excited about mediocrity. I know they look at the Wii as an example of meager hardware excelling through innovation, but I believe had the Wii had been as powerful as its counterparts, it would have been that much more successful. Sure innovation is key, but its only half the equation.

Doffen

bdizzle said:
And Microsoft/Sony does?
As I have said several times throughout this generation, I gladly pay for Xbox Live. I find it stranger that gamers pay to play MMO’s like WoW. But hey, that's me!

FLEABttn

Banned
alphaNoid said:
Microsoft does. The tens of millions of paying subscribers are proof alone. You might not think its great, but millions of people disagree with you.

To be fair, that just makes millions of people wrong.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Maybe, but with the way the console market is going I really doubt it. :(
I would think the psp2 is a good example of where people thought Sony were going to be more conservative in terms of specs but it looks like they've created a great device by actually listening to developers before building the thing. But we don't know the price yet so we'll have to wait and see if they've really learned anything after the ps3: I think they have so i'm very hopeful of a strong ps4.

Gorgon

FLEABttn said:
A new proprietary format wouldn't be a concern unless it were smaller than 50 gigs. I don't see a proprietary format as being an option as there's additional cost involved in making them, unless we're talking something like a GD-Rom (which is just a modified CD standard, don't believe that required any retooling at reproduction plants).

Thats what I said. The thing is, apparently these guys believe it is a proprietary format, something that I don't see any logic in it.

No Blu-Ray compatibility would be odd. I mean, look at the prices, €100 for an all format BluRay writer. Read-only drives for <€60. In retail.
Maybe go for some proprietary disc but no BluRay would seriously bum me out, I love using my PS3 as a player.
They want Xbox to be an "entertainment center in the living room". Not having blu-ray would be completely and absolutely retarded.

itsgreen said:
How can people think no disc drive?

It won't be digital download exclusive:
- games are very big
- the connection needed, even in 2016, won't be in the majority of households
- they need retail partners

It won't have flashcards:
- games are very big
- memory chips are in comparison very expensive. 16GB usb stick prices have been about consistent for the last 3 years.
- guessing you would need 32GB for a normal next-gen game would mean you have 20$ costs, just for the memory card. Compare that to the 35 cents (or something similar) (including license fee) for a Blu ray disc.

It really is a no brainer.

720 will have Blu ray.

I agree with everything except the notion that a "normal" next gen game would need 32 GB. PC games are already pretty "next gen" as far as consoles go and they consistently deliver best graphics at 8-12 gigs on average. That rate has in fact remained fairly constant for the last 5 years at least. You also need compression to load up fast from the optical disc, which is always slower than HDD drive, which means that compression will still be a big factor. I don't see 32 beying standard or anywhere near it. Next gen is already here, on the PC.

Cyborg

Totobeni said:
-DTS/DD7.1 support
-1TB HDD for all sku

Sure.........are you from this planet?

Jonm1010

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Maybe, but with the way the console market is going I really doubt it. :(

I still think that the very nature of having two competing console makers that have and will continue to thrive on being the cutting edge console system will encourage them to go almost all out.

I say almost because I think both Sony and Microsoft are going to want systems that will earn them a profit fairly early on because both have a sour taste from distributing at a loss for a long time with one or more of their generational systems.

I'd bet money though we'd see a system that would basically be able to run a new and slightly more advanced Crysis type engine in 2014(maybe not at 60fps). I think those worried we wont even get a system that can play Crysis at a high level are doing the right thing in tempering their expectations but will ultimately be happily satisfied when they learn that they will get that and probably more.

Gorgon

DirectX said:
I am always wanting the next thing. I buy almost every gadget I can and buy it the day it releases but for some reason I am not as anxious for new systems yet. I think because we have a lot invested in these current ones and I have 3 xbox 360's and 2 ps3's and just refreshed them with slim versions(just sold my wii). Also we have lots of games still coming that should be great and I think there is more they can get out of these current systems. I am actually ok for once waiting a bit longer for new systems.

You're a spoiled kid with way to much money and time on your hands.

[Nintex] said:
Just more fuel to the 2012 fire. If the Xbox 720 wasn't on the horizon for 2012/2013 they wouldn't have started working on 'next-gen' games yet. Sure you keep up with the tech developments but they're targetting MS's next-gen hardware. With the way technology is advancing these days you don't pin down on tech that is available 3 years down the line.

Mark Rein said that if Nintendo would release a console capable of UE3 they'd be on it like bees on honey. I think that's all Nintendo needs a console that can handle modern engines and tools. Nintendo needs third party support from western publishers if they want to continue their dominance and that's the only way they're going to get it.

Also that's the second developer with a next-gen game in pre-production. First Epic, now Avalanche, who's next?

That has already been posted. And they really don't say at all that they have a project for the next xbox:

"Yeah, absolutely. It's actually quite an interesting subject for us - because when we worked on Just Cause 1, the Xbox 360 came out [at around the same time]. We had to do the 360 version in six months. It's an interesting place again right now, where the projects we're working on today might be coming out on [Microsoft's] next technology."

Sundberg told CVG that Avalanche has a "central engine team" who believe Microsoft is "working on something" - but had seen "nothing confirmed in terms of specs and so on". Despite being in "very close contact" with MS, he reiterated that the platform holder had "confirmed nothing".

Reallink

FoxSpirit said:
Hahahaha... where have you been the past years? Nintendo selling at a loss? Have you not gathered their basic company principles? The many interviews?

Nintendo will never sell a console at a loss. Imagine a console at the sucess of the Wii but costing the company money. Like they said, they aren't Sony or Microsoft, if they make a loss, there is nothing to compensate for that.
Heck, they even admitted to price-hike after all the 3DS praise. If there is a company out there going for the raw profit, it's Nintendo.

Oh yeah, and I'd rather wait to fall 2013 for a good increase in power compared to fall 2012, I want that UE3 demo. Basta.
And it IS possible to future proof yourself this far down the road, with the way the HD pipeline works you can ramp up quality in huge bounds while consuming equal amounts of power.
If I would guess, the current pipeline could produce content for 2020 simply by not downgrading assets and using the whole array of lighting and shadows. Plus Tesselation, you can by current standards throw gobs of GPU power at tesselation. And physics. And AI. Gratious amount of Filtering and general IQ improvements.

It's hard to see how to not spend any and all power that's down the next decade at least.

Didn't say that's what they would do, said that's what I would do if I were them. If these timetables work out like they're stacking up, this is probably the best and last chance they're going to have for a long while to pull any of the "Core" crowd off Sonysoft hardware. Doesn't have to be a huge loss, perhaps somewhere between break even and 50 bucks (which I think is more or less how the Gamecube stacked up). Realistically, a profit box built in 2012 would be an entire generation behind a loss leader in 2013/2014 from MS/Sony. Any gains they made would immediately jump ship at that point.

RaijinFY

Doffen said:
Sure, but that clearly depends on how fast both Sony and Microsoft works. I doubt Sony wanted the PS3 to be launched a year after the 360.

Indeed, in an ideal world, they would have loved to launch the machine at the end of 2007.

alphaNoid said:
Microsoft does. The tens of millions of paying subscribers are proof alone. You might not think its great, but millions of people disagree with you.

And millions more agree with me. There's more people not paying for XBL than there are paying for it. Everything that MS offers has been on PCs for yearsssssssssssssssssssss at a total cost of $0. Pretty much everything MS does is on the PSN for free. People pay 60/yr for XBL to get p2p match making. Neither of these services are worth the money IMO.

Just like horse armor on Oblivion, paying for MP is a ripoff. Between character DLC, map packs, finishing move DLC (I'm looking at you MK9!), and paying for p2p MP access; gaming has become nothing but small micro transactions that nickel and dime the customers.

RaijinFY

Also, people who thinks they will get a GTX 580 class of GPU (or even more powerful LOL) in a closed environment are deluding themselves.

[Nintex]

Canova said:
wait till 2017-2018 Microsoft, by then we won't need any physical disc
Crazy... by 2017/2018 the average budget smartphone cound in theory run a better version of COD than your 360 can. The systems would be horribly outdated in every possible way.

MS and Sony took a big leap last time so I'd say they need to go back to reality, cram the most powerful shit they can find into a box and sell it for $349/$399 at most at the end of 2012 by 2017 they can release the next-next-gen consoles.

oh and that new unreal tech demo thing should be doable for a next-gen console. Remember, they'll release the systems with TV resolutions in mind and I doubt resolutions higher than 1080p will be supported at first. So the GPU's currently on the market could produce jaw dropping visuals as far as consoles are concerned.

AiTM

Banned
To all of you people for digital download, what about the relationship between the manufacturers and retailers? They NEED retailers to sell the systems, that is their only option, and one of the trade-offs is having games to sell to make it worthwhile. With DD, all they have left is download codes, but why would you even need that when you can just download the game and skip the store?

StevieP

Banned
bdizzle said:
And millions more agree with me. There's more people not paying for XBL than there are paying for it. Everything that MS offers has been on PCs for yearsssssssssssssssssssss at a total cost of $0. Pretty much everything MS does is on the PSN for free. People pay 60/yr for XBL to get p2p match making. Neither of these services are worth the money IMO.

Just like horse armor on Oblivion, paying for MP is a ripoff. Between character DLC, map packs, finishing move DLC (I'm looking at you MK9!), and paying for p2p MP access; gaming has become nothing but small micro transactions that nickel and dime the customers.

horsearmor.jpg

I LOLed. Ahhh Horse Armor... the poster child for what's wrong with this gen. I agree 100% with ... all of your post. All of it. And it should be bolded and repeated 600 times.

I couldn't even imagine the meeting when they were first thinking of a paid P2P service.
"Hmm.. we're sinking billions into this console thing. Our shareholders don't like the red... what the hell do we do?"

"Well..... how bout charging for all online gaming across the platform?"
*room laughs*
*... awkward silence*

"Oh, you were serious?"
"Absolutely! And not for MMOs or upkeep of dedicated servers or anything... but P2P matchmaking!"

*room laughs*
*...awkward silence*

eso76

2013 is still far too early to go DD only, especially considering next gen games will probably weight between 30 and 40GB (aren't some PS3 games 40gb already ?) possibly 60. No way.

4 GB is a given imho. Ram is cheap these days and 2 years from now 2 GB will be ridiculous.

Pad + Kinect 2 sounds good; having kinect become standard will suggest devs to implement some kind of motion control in every release (even if just for headtracking or navigating through menus) and not relegate it to small party games. I just hope pad remains the standard control peripheral.

DirectX said:

I feel the same way. I think it's because I just got a PS3 last year, and this generation's library is far inferior to last generation's IMO.

duk

Banned
MS is not going to mess with its 360 recipe that has brought it much success so far. They will however bank more on kinect and rightfully so. That tech has sooo much potential. I expect Kinect to be integral part of everything xbox going forward but motion controls will not be mandated for all games. Doesn't make sense to.

I expect 720 to beat PS4 to the punch, gain much dev share and the dev-lead console just as this gen. Time to market to gain consumer share is vital as always. One thing that must be more solid is the reliability of the hardware, I expect mucho scrutiny after the 1billion dollar blunder. Heads prob rolled.

I expect price will be 299 and 399 once again and h/w will be very powerful and flexible but s/w dev tools to be most powerful once again amongst competitors. MS should be every devs friend.

Jonm1010

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Also, people who thinks they will get a GTX 580 class of GPU (or even more powerful LOL) in a closed environment are deluding themselves.

Why not? Especially if they release in 2014 or even late 2013? I'm not being combative but genuinely asking.

By 2013 Nvidia already plans on having their "Maxwell" card out that is poised to be an exponential leap over previous cards. I would find it very odd to hear microsoft or Sony come out and say we are going to put 4 year+ old tech in a system when this new generation of cards will already dwarf our output right out the gate.

My point has always been that if Sony or Microsoft blinks and does the above- putting way old tech in their new system to cut costs - the other can come in and take an initial loss and throw in the more current card and sell at the same price on the same launch date and crush the other one.

Jonm1010

Banned
And I could really see MS doing that to potentially put a nail in the coffin of Sony if Sony hesitated to be cutting edge like last gen..... But given their business model for NGP I doubt they will.

Unless nintendo has some new groundbreaking gameplay mechanism again, all three will have a wii/kinect variation and the main differentation again will be games, price, graphics and marketing.

StevieP

Banned
Cr...crush them? Because graphics were the deciding factor this gen. Clearly.

As far as your second concurrent post is concerned, btw... you realize that until this gen Sony had the weakest systems during the other eras they were a part of, don't you? (and they won them both) Perhaps you should let that sink in.

Top Bottom