• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sends GAF a Cease and Desist notice over Mass Effect 3 Spoilers

Lothars said:
My advice for everyone is play the game when it's out and make your own opinion, Derrick's is not the one i would be taking the advice from.
"My advice is don't listen to that guy. Listen to my advice instead. It's exactly the same but fuck that guy. I am the sole arbiter of truth in here"

Mindlog

Patryn said:
At least I can look forward to the party in the Story Discussion thread again. That should lead to a few weeks of comedy, right?
Without any spoilers the thread could be written now.

Event is a cliche. Similar event in ME1 was not a cliche because that was an homage to early sci-fi whereas this is just a Michael Bay ripoff.

Repeat.

It's as predictable as Talisweat.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I mean, in one sense I don't really have a reason to care, because I've never yet played a Mass Effect game and didn't go in the thread in question.

On the other hand, the very idea that that a developer or publisher has veto powers over discussion on a supposedly independent gaming forum pisses me off to no end. What's next, threatening NeoGAF over negative impressions? Sending a subpoena over the Shit Mountain 3 OT?

Kinyou

btw. What will happen when the obligatory Mass Effect 3 story discussion thread comes in march? Will they shut down the whole forum?

Branduil said:
I mean I hate to bring up the slippery slope argument but what's to stop Bioware from telling EviLore to delete negative posts about Bioware or else?

yes this! whats to stop them from saying this and that thread is undermining the sale and reputation of our game with leaks about info. where is the line?

Darklord said:
How can they do that? The info gets leaked and posted on a forum. What exactly is illegal or against the law here? Actvision didn't send a C&D to Kotaku over MW3.

And why would GAF fold so easily?

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed GAF would give in to such nonsense. This isn't just "YEAH STICK IT TO THE GOVMENTTTT" talk, this is not giving in to a corporate trying to bully it's way into controlling what the users of NeoGaf can and can't say.

And what's this about the ISP? Really, they were threatening with going that way? Wow. The backlash for doing something like that would be enormous.

Zeliard

Woffls said:
To be fair, their main concern is probably over fans of the series having it spoiled for them. This doesn't help in any way at all, but we couldn't say their hearts aren't in the right place. Or not; who knows?

What we're seeing here is Desperate Bioware in full-swing.

Lothars said:
I agree which is bad either way, every thread about Mass Effect turns bad on both sides.

Nah, the side that "will never get Mass Effect 3 because Bioware's a terrible company" is most definitely good.

Branduil said:
I mean I hate to bring up the slippery slope argument but what's to stop Bioware from telling EviLore to delete negative posts about Bioware or else?

EviLore would likely take it to court if Bioware or any company actually tried to shut the site down over an opinion.

That's a whole other ball of wax from posting arguably stolen IP or whatever (which is still bullshit, but clearly a separate issue).

planar1280 said:
yes this! whats to stop them from saying this and that thread is undermining the sale and reputation of our game with leaks about info. where is the line?

Opinion is not leaked information.

Kinyou said:
btw. What will happen when the obligatory Mass Effect 3 story discussion thread comes in march? Will they shut down the whole forum?

The only solution is to not promote ME3 with the way they are mistreating consumers

ultron87

This behavior has made me several times more likely to go search out the spoilers somewhere than I would've been had they just left the thread alone.

Vire

I hope the OT is Revenge of Shitmountain part deuce.

Even if the game is really great, I'm extraordinarily disappointed in Bioware.

I posted my feedback about the beta itself and it was largely very positive. Shame they had to go ahead and do this kind of thing.

FStop7

Banned
Don't blame Evilore for taking the thread down. EA has a lot of legal weight to throw around, and GAF is Evilore's livelihood. If you were in his shoes would you seriously entertain losing your livelihood, your income, over leaked video game spoilers? Even if EA had a 99.9% chance of losing any legal case, the amount of time and money that it would cost him to fight it would be sky high.

All blame should be directed squarely at Bioware/EA. Nowhere else.

Lothars

PataHikari said:
Nah, the side that "will never get Mass Effect 3 because Bioware's a terrible company" is most definitely good.
Everyone is allowed their opinion, I disagree I don't like how they did this with a C&D against any forum because it's a shitty thing to do anyway but I don't think Bioware is a terrible company.

Has Bioware made any public statements to Microsoft in this situation, by the way? Seems like it was kinda their fault. A little bit.

Danielsan

I kind of want to take a stroll through Google Cache lane now. I had no interest in the leak before, but considering I'm probably not getting the game anymore I might as well indulge myself in some additional laughs.

Well at least they saved me from ever purchasing the game, I was genuinely considering it but after this whole fiasco and seeing how the game is actually going to turn out. (
lol you did stuff on ME2? who cares about choices, let's pretend none of those choices happened and make up our own stories! :)
)

FStop7 said:
Don't blame Evilore for taking the thread down. EA has a lot of legal weight to throw around, and GAF is Evilore's livelihood. If you were in his shoes would you seriously entertain losing your livelihood, your income, over leaked video game spoilers? Even if EA is 100% full of shit, the costs of fighting a potential lawsuit will be high.

Yeah, I totally agree. You really can't blame him.

FStop7 said:
Don't blame Evilore for taking the thread down. EA has a lot of legal weight to throw around, and GAF is Evilore's livelihood. If you were in his shoes would you seriously entertain losing your livelihood, your income, over leaked video game spoilers? Even if EA is 100% full of shit, the costs of fighting a potential lawsuit will be high.

I guess that makes sense.

I also support making a shitstorm out of this. God damn, EA/Bioware.

Branduil

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Opinion is not leaked information.
It's not a clear line. What about posting opinions about the leaked information? The google thing was one thing, this is on an entirely different and disturbing level.

bengraven

Bioware is scared that GAF will own everything posted, so Evilore can sue Bioware when Mass Effect 3 is released.

DaBuddaDa

I don't know what is meant by "bluff," but there is nothing they could have done. I cannot go into specifics but many other websites I have been a part of have faced much worse than what was going on here. Much, much worse shit. Nothing bad has ever happened to them, they've never been shut down or pulled offline or anything. It's all chest banging and no substance no matter how severe their legal team wants to make it sound. They don't have a legal foot to stand on and they won't spend the money it would require to try and move any further beyond the C&D.

[Nintex]

BigJiantRobut said:
Has Bioware made any public statements to Microsoft in this situation, by the way? Seems like it was kinda their fault. A little bit.
They made a skype call with Mattrick probably, he looked all smug and then Major Nelson showed a Halo trailer.

They were like: "What's this?"
and Microsoft responded with "You're already Kinect"

Danielsan

FStop7 said:
Don't blame Evilore for taking the thread down. EA has a lot of legal weight to throw around, and GAF is Evilore's livelihood. If you were in his shoes would you seriously entertain losing your livelihood, your income, over leaked video game spoilers? Even if EA had a 99.9% chance of losing any legal case, the amount of time and money that it would cost him to fight it would be sky high.

Exactly.

McNum

Huh, so it wasn't an elaborate parody of a Bioware story? It's getting harder and harder to tell these days. But the C&D pretty much confirms it.

Top Bottom