• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Zeta Oni

Exactly - I don't see Studio Gobo being the ones entrusted with it though.

Studio Gobo already has history with Disney though.

As Studio Gobo they worked on Disney Infinity. They are also comprised of former Black Rock Studio devs, who worked on Split/Second and Pure, which were both Disney titles.

Papacheeks

Banned
GOTG is on PS4. SE games more than likely will also. Sony will probably get marketing deals for them also. Their relationship doesn't mean they will be exclusive, KH3 and Star Wars games are multiplats also

Edit: I'm actually starting to think wapplew is semi serious

Do you read at all?

Guardians is tell tale and is on steam,PS4, Xbox.

blakep267

I don't see them getting a marvel exclusive due to how tight Sony is with Disney
Disney is tight with more than just Sony. EA has the rights to make Star Wars games, telltale did a GOTG game, Marvel has stuff with square Enix, and Sony has Spider-Man. They aren't limiting themselves to one company. Granted I don't think this particular game has anything to do with Disney, but I don't think they'd shun MS. This is business

I'm not sure about that. They said they all contacted each other to get the project going. It seemed more like Marvel wanting to work with that dev and pub. Marvel just wants quality titles to be produced. If MS does what they have to do, and Marvel is down, I could see them getting an exclusive Marvel game as well.

Sure, but both what you say and what I speculate could've happened together. It's not as if the Sony Spiderman game is being made by a Sony studio. They're publishing a game made by an independent studio based on an IP that they don't own aside from in the movie space.

The movie space in which they made a fairly high profile deal with Disney to hand Spidey back for a bit. It's all speculation of course and I do believe the movie rights issue played a part.

I'd be less inclined to believe they played a part if a Sony owned studio was making the game.

But again, speculation on my part where as yours is the far more concrete stance to hold.

Papacheeks

Banned
Disney is right with more than just Sony. EA has the rights to make Star Wars games, Marvel has stuff with square Enix, and Sony has Spider-Man. They aren't limiting themselves to one company

Pretty much what I'v been trying to say.

I mean there's a mobile game out currently, and Marvel heroes just released on PS4, XBOX.

Xumbrega

Banned
We should not underestimate the 'free 2 play' word, because Killer Instinct was also called 'free 2 play'

Anyway is the AAA game and the free 2 play thing the same game? The AAA game definitely is a exclusive game for a console.

Cause if it's not I'm betting the free 2 play game is Viva Pinata, the other one, no clue

on this job listing: http://www.studiogobo.com/job/lighting-artist/

it doesn't sounds like a simple game

the good thing is hopefully this will put the "Microsoft is not working on nothing new' bullshit to rest, we can't predict the studios they are going to work with, I bet no one said Studio Gobo as a Microsoft partner lol

blakep267

As for the Gobo listing, im leaning on it being something the size of Recore or Ori etc. Greenberg and Phil have called Recore AAA before.

I wonder if itd be a revival of an older franchise or something new

Sure, but both what you say and what I speculate could've happened together. It's not as if the Sony Spiderman game is being made by a Sony studio. They're publishing a game made by an independent studio based on an IP that they don't own aside from in the movie space.

The movie space in which they made a fairly high profile deal with Disney to hand Spidey back for a bit. It's all speculation of course and I do believe the movie rights issue played a part.

I'd be less inclined to believe they played a part if a Sony owned studio was making the game.

But again, speculation on my part where as yours is the far more concrete stance to hold.
Sure, I'm not against that playing a part. I just think the core of it was more about finding the right combo of dev and pub. As such, MS has potential as well.

Do you read at all?

Guardians is tell tale and is on steam,PS4, Xbox.
Disney is tight with more than just Sony. EA has the rights to make Star Wars games, telltale did a GOTG game, Marvel has stuff with square Enix, and Sony has Spider-Man. They aren't limiting themselves to one company. Granted I don't think this particular game has anything to do with Disney, but I don't think they'd shun MS. This is business
I don't we're on the same page here. I don't mean that anything Disney related will be Sony exclusive, obviously that's not the case. I mean that Sony and Disney's relationship almost certainly means that any game based on a Disney property won't be skipping PS4. They won't be MS exclusive is what I mean. Disney wouldn't give any of its properties to them

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't we're on the same page here. I don't mean that anything Disney related will be Sony exclusive, obviously that's not the case. I mean that Sony and Disney's relationship almost certainly means that any game based on a Disney property won't be skipping PS4. They won't be MS exclusive is what I mean. Disney wouldn't give any of its properties to them

Ah, ok gotcha, i misread your post my bad.

Xumbrega

Banned
so...

Make a significant direct contribution to the creation of high quality in game World Art as it applies to real-time technology for a New-Gen AAA console game.

Qualifications:

5+ years of professional experience in computer gaming or related field, creating game environments.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
Must have shipped at least one AAA console title as lead Environment Artist on current generation hardware.
Experience managing and leading production art teams.

http://www.studiogobo.com/job/lead-environment-artist/

I LOVE Ori but dude it's only one game in :p all due respect to Thomas I don't think it can support a toys to life game on its own.

Speaking of studios MS should look to acquire: Moon Studios seems like a good bet. They seem to have a great working relationship based on Thomas Mahler's comments around here, they have great designers and artists, & they're relatively small and wouldn't cost a bazillion dollars.

I'd hate for them to slip through MS's fingers like so many other studios have that MS could have kept closer (Double Helix, CryTek, Playground Games, Creative Assembly).

Wedzi

Banned
So it's possible they could just be helping out on Sea of Thieves but I'm going out on a limb and saying it might be Fable related. MS had the option of selling Lionhead and the Fable IP before shutting down the studio but kept the IP so they must think it's still valuable.

Open world, AAA, free to play, MMO like Fable could be a success. It could follow a Killer Instinct like model. The world is free, but you pay for different expansions. Could also have cosmetics for sale, loot boxes that contain armor, different farting animations, etc.

Crossplay/Play anywhere with Windows 10 and Xbox. It would be a totally different model for a AAA WRPG that fits the bill with the current market of gamers.

Chobel

As for the Gobo listing, im leaning on it being something the size of Recore or Ori etc. Greenberg and Phil have called Recore AAA before.

I wonder if itd be a revival of an older franchise or something new

This not just some Greenberg PR, this is job listing asking to hire people in AAA game, heck one of job listing requires experience in AAA development (Lead Environment Artist [#PA001]). They are not gonna mislead people in this, it is definitely an AAA game.

Zeta Oni

So it's possible they could just be helping out on Sea of Thieves but I'm going out on a limb and saying it might be Fable related. MS had the option of selling Lionhead and the Fable IP before shutting down the studio but kept the IP so they must think it's still valuable.

Open world, AAA, free to play, MMO like Fable could be a success. It could follow a Killer Instinct like model. The world is free, but you pay for different expansions. Could also have cosmetics for sale, loot boxes that contain armor, different farting animations, etc.

Crossplay/Play anywhere with Windows 10 and Xbox. It would be a totally different model for a AAA WRPG that fits the bill with the current market of gamers.

Would it be possible to repurpose assets from Fable: Legends into this hypothetical project, possibly cutting down dev time?

Because out of all the things Fable: Legends did wrong, graphics were not one of them.

Wedzi

Banned
Would it be possible to repurpose assets from Fable: Legends into this hypothetical project, possibly cutting down dev time?

Because out of all the things Fable: Legends did wrong, graphics were not one of them.

Probably considering this hypothetical Fable game will also run on Unreal Engine 4 but I would personally set it a little farther down the time line than what Fable Legends was shooting for. Would leave more room for more interesting quests, weapons, loot, cosmetics, plus I just like steam punk stuff.

m23

I'd rather it stay dead than get a f2p mmo.

Chobel

MS thought Halo Mega Blocks doesn't make sense last time and canceled it, and that was when Halo was really big. Now? It makes even less sense to fund it.

Verchod

With regards to Studio Gobo. Their website does say they've worked with companies such as Disney, Microsoft, and Codemasters. Of the four games they've listed released, three are Disney, and one was F1 for Codemasters. What was the Microsoft project?

Also, one of the jobs listed on the site, Gameplay designer,is to work on a 3rd person AAA character action console Game. Are they related?
seems the brighton studio is quite new, anything they're working on is surely still a year or two off.

JlNX

Did Phil let slip about Rare's second project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPinUdJZ2Ko&feature=youtu.be
9.33 mark - He talks about Rare asking him about unannounced things, that it's a trust based relationship because he is seeing their game which is obviously unannounced. I doubt it's in reference to Mojang because they work solely on Minecraft. I wouldn't doubt they would announce it early like Sea of Thieves, Phil talked about the fact that a game like Sea of Thieves had to be announce early due to it being a GAAS it also allowed Rare to open for hiring so who knows. Rare as a studio is solely structured around GAAS now. Could be another unannounced game from MS studios he saw on his trip?

Xumbrega

Banned
Come Sneakers this time to shine man!

ehhhhhhh you are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Microsoft have anything new to show besides Forza, Halo and Gears of War along with the inevitable Ori 2, you know when you work in the industry you know every gaming developer out there along with their projects, that's just how it works.

lol

JlNX

Rare are also working on the Goldeneye remaster, obviously!

Kimishima came to his sense's?!?!
Z88IMEL.gif

Did Phil let slip about Rare's second project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPinUdJZ2Ko&feature=youtu.be
9.33 mark - He talks about Rare asking him about unannounced things, that it's a trust based relationship because he is seeing their game which is obviously unannounced. I doubt it's in reference to Mojang because they work solely on Minecraft. I wouldn't doubt they would announce it early like Sea of Thieves, Phil talked about the fact that a game like Sea of Thieves had to be announce early due to it being a GAAS it also allowed Rare to open for hiring so who knows. Rare as a studio is solely structured around GAAS now. Could be another unannounced game from MS studios he saw on his trip?
I know shinobi has said in the past that they're basically the new IP testbed and have other things that they're prototyping so it very well could be that. Also wouldn't be shocked if Mojang has another smaller project on the side like Cobalt

Papacheeks

Banned
What happened to Sneakers?

People in here not going to name names, called him out for acting like a source for information and discourse.

He was just using his opinion and some of the things he;s heard that I'v also heard from other people for his discussion and people didn't like it because it's too negative.

Basically people don't want negative conversation, and they don't like it when that opinion comes from a developer.

People in here not going to name names, called him out for acting like a source for information and discourse.

He was just using his opinion and some of the things he;s heard that I'v also heard from other people for his discussion and people didn't like it because it's too negative.

Basically people don't want negative conversation, and they don't like it when that opinion comes from a developer.

Are you an "insider" as well?

(Name me)

Kimishima came to his sense's?!?!

I wish. I think in the past the deal was for the remaster on 360 and Nintendo can put the original on Virtual Console. They rejected it. But now they could release the full remaster on Xbox, Win 10 and Switch.

Fingers crossed!

JlNX

If your willing to believe any random person that has no proof of any sources of knowledge, that has never been proven right that gets touchy and runs of when anyone questions his sources. Not to mention that only shows up to put a negative stance on anything yet never appears in any positive news and very conveniently doesn't mention anything about how let's say state of decay is doing or crackdown. Never goes out of his way to say anything but the bare minimum to avoid him being wrong or maybe the fact he isn't a insider. Then you are very credulous.

Also just name me, and the ton of other people that put up a lot of very good points about his behaviour. Everything points against him we don't just have this magical opinion, there is logical reasons to distrust him.

Wedzi

Banned

If your willing to believe any random person that has no proof of any sources of knowledge, that has never been proven right that gets touchy and runs of when any one questions his sources. Not to mention that only shows up to put a negative stance on anything yet never appears in any positive news and very conveniently doesn't mention anything about how let's say state of decay is doing or crackdown. Never goes out of his way to say anything but the bare minimum to avoid him being wrong or maybe the fact he isn't a insider. They you are very credulous.

Also just name me, and the ton of other people that put up a lot of very good points about his behaviour. Everything points against him we don't just have this magical opinion, there is logical reasons to distrust him.

Oh for fucks sake.

What happened to Sneakers?

People (myself included, full disclosure) asked that if he was going to speak as the voice of authority on all MS games everywhere all the time, he should probably provide some sort of proof he knows... anything?

Used to be standard procedure grumble mutter *yells at clouds about so-called insiders*

Anyway, when asked to make some kind of effort to get verified he elected to bounce instead, so probably not a real insider, but who knows.

Top Bottom