• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Tablet announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh.... Surface (RT) or iPad!?

Really struggling to decide but want to get a tablet before I go to Abu Dhabi on business in a couple of weeks.

Surface looks so sexy and I much prefer the interactive UI in comparison to iPad's wall of icons. Also a standard USB port and SD Card expansion. But then iPad is a proven entity, has tons of apps and support and a higher-resolution screen.

I know iPad is the safer bet but the Surface seems like it might be a lot more flexible in the long-term.

Decisions decisions! Anyone like to share their thoughts?

I think full office is pretty handy on a business trip. Being able to open and edit everything on a superthin and light device should be pretty cool. the apps market will blow up anyway, i would not worry about that yet.

And you have a better aspect ratio for watching movies! hooray

pswii60

I think full office is pretty handy on a business trip. Being able to open and edit everything on a superthin and light device should be pretty cool. the apps market will blow up anyway, i would not worry about that yet.

And you have a better aspect ratio for watching movies! hooray

True. My only sticking point is probably the lower-resolution screen. Really like that "Retina" display for browsing and viewing magazines etc. But then I think about the kick-stand and keyboard on the Surface too. Swings and roundabouts. If the Surface had a higher resolution screen I'd probably just go for it right now.

DagsJT

True. My only sticking point is probably the lower-resolution screen. Really like that "Retina" display for browsing and viewing magazines etc. But then I think about the kick-stand and keyboard on the Surface too. Swings and roundabouts. If the Surface had a higher resolution screen I'd probably just go for it right now.

I think reports have said that they think the screen actually LOOKS better to the eye on the Surface, regardless of Retina etc. Maybe try a Surface in a store once released?

Personally I'd go for a Surface having had an iPad. Surface just feels like it's more polished, and the likes of a USB port are a pretty big plus.

I think reports have said that they think the screen actually LOOKS better to the eye on the Surface, regardless of Retina etc. Maybe try a Surface in a store once released?

Personally I'd go for a Surface having had an iPad. Surface just feels like it's more polished, and the likes of a USB port are a pretty big plus.

That 'report' is coming from the mouth of a person working for Microsoft on the screen technology. I'm skeptical. While the actual screen pixel layout might be more efficient than the iPad....I'm skeptical that they reached parity with the screen quality in good lighting conditions.

mm04

That 'report' is coming from the mouth of a person working for Microsoft on the screen technology. I'm skeptical. While the actual screen pixel layout might be more efficient than the iPad....I'm skeptical that they reached parity with the screen quality in good lighting conditions.

We'll know soon enough. If you haven't pre-ordered one at this point, you may as well just wait it out for reviews and comparisons to come out in the coming days. I'm sure that will be one of the first points of comparison.

Personally for me, IOS reminds me of co-workers who have sloppy desktops and have a million icons cluttering it. Huge pet peeve of mine when it's time for desktop sharing sessions etc. Also, no external USB on iPad was an absolute deal breaker for me. My sister who has an iPad 2 64GB 3G is even considering getting a Surface. We'll see what she says when she has the opportunity to use mine. She's completely bought into the Apple ecosystem (has in iPhone 5 as well), so I'm curious what she'll think of it.

JaggedSac

I didn't. I'm 90% sure I'm buying one I just won't pull the trigger until the review embargo is lifted. If i decide not to then I'll just sell it in eBay. I doubt that's going to happen though.

I'm gonna hit up a store and test it out before pulling the trigger. Was thinking about getting a 920 instead, but I don't have a tablet yet and having a tablet opens up more uses for me than an upgraded phone.

pswii60

Just wondering why this won't be available to buy on the high street? Is this so they don't upset their OEM partners? Will Surface never be available anywhere other than directly from Microsoft? Seems like a strange move if they want it to compete with iPad etc.

Apologies if this has already been discussed to death elsewhere, I'm somewhat LTTP!

popeutlal

Just wondering why this won't be available to buy on the high street? Is this so they don't upset their OEM partners? Will Surface never be available anywhere other than directly from Microsoft?

Apologies if this has already been discussed to death elsewhere, I'm somewhat LTTP!
It'll in retail stores "early next year".

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just wondering why this won't be available to buy on the high street? Is this so they don't upset their OEM partners? Will Surface never be available anywhere other than directly from Microsoft? Seems like a strange move if they want it to compete with iPad etc.

Microsoft has to build up their manufacturing capability.
Where are the Surface tablets being assembled? Are they being built in China like everything else?
I think the rumor was from Pegatron which is located in Taiwan.

They are only producing 3 to 5 million prior to the end of the year, so just selling them themselves makes sense.

There are rumors that early next year other retailers will sell it though.

just got back from the MS store and a guy gave me that flyer that reserves me a surface....i want it so bad but don't know if i can have the $ by then.. i mean i could but then i'd be broke...

just got back from the MS store and a guy gave me that flyer that reserves me a surface....i want it so bad but don't know if i can have the $ by then.. i mean i could but then i'd be broke...

Don't do it man. Technology isn't worth going broke for. Save up and decide around Christmas time whether it's worth it.

Don't do it man. Technology isn't worth going broke for. Save up and decide around Christmas time whether it's worth it.

well I'm reposting stuff on craigs list that hasn't sold, hopefully someone buys. I actually already got a response but he wants to trade me "4 $100 Michael posters and a mummy in a tomb display" ...lol . Sounds like a GAF member...

dLMN8R

I think the rumor was from Pegatron which is located in Taiwan.

I'm always amused about how these rumors spread. It's like one dude on some blog guessed "maybe it's Pegatron?", and now suddenly it's "the rumor" that everyone believes as fact :)

Windu

I'm always amused about how these rumors spread. It's like one dude on some blog guessed "maybe it's Pegatron?", and now suddenly it's "the rumor" that everyone believes as fact :)
you are building them in your basement aren't you

Windu

surface in the wild

bgdEd.png

38NYy.png

UNvta.png

http://www.liveside.net/2012/10/22/...liveside+(LiveSide)&utm_content=Google+Reader
It's why I haven't been posting as much lately :-(

my hands hurt
you should hire some Chinese kids for a $1 a day.

alphaNoid

Banned
The more I use win8 on my home desktop (pro) and work laptop (enterprise) the more I realize I want a touch screen. So ... since I'm cheap that means waiting for my work to buy m e one next year ... hopefully.

We have a few RTs arriving tomorrow in our office.

Windu

The more I use win8 on my home desktop (pro) and work laptop (enterprise) the more I realize I want a touch screen. So ... since I'm cheap that means waiting for my work to buy m e one next year ... hopefully.

We have a few RTs arriving tomorrow in our office.
RTs will about as cheap as new atom based PCs. I don't know why anyone would want a RT machine, unless you just want a surface.

MCD

RTs will about as cheap as new atom based PCs. I don't know why anyone would want a RT machine, unless you just want a surface.

Better for my family - no virus + get your shit from the app store and don't bother me again.

strata8

Surface |OT|

or

Microsoft Surface |OT|

Which one? Microsoft refers to it as the 'Surface' but the second might be less confusing.

f0lken

You're not vulnerable from a virus just because it's a tablet.

But an RT should be safer than a x86, especially if no one cracks it to sideload pirate apps, the ones from the Windows Store should be safe, and besides virus, other problem that soccer moms and average joe have is this:

Toolbars.jpg

So for those people that only use their PC fpr facebook, browser and click on those "You won a million dollars" ads, an RT tablet is better than an Atom one even if they are marginally the same price

stktt

Banned
Surface |OT|

or

Microsoft Surface |OT|

Which one? Microsoft refers to it as the 'Surface' but the second might be less confusing.

I would say "Surface". Most people will know what you're talking about, and Microsoft still has a negative connotation.

coldfoot

Banned
Looks like you can't disable "Natural Scrolling" on the touch pad of the integrated cover...
Wondering if that's an OS limitation or specific to the cover, because that's the first thing I turned off in my wife's MBP when she upgraded to 10.8.

Don't expect more than very light gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5872/intel-dual-core-ivy-bridge-launch-and-ultrabook-review/5

Games like XBLA ports from the Windows Store should run absolutely fine, though.

5Mm4t.jpg

I wouldn't say it can't play meety games just fine but if you are the type of gamer that will not do without the high(est) detail setting and nothing but 60 fps will do then integrated graphics will never be for you regardless of what's to come out over the next year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom